How’d you solve a problem like Morelos?

Before ppl jump to his rescue I’ll start by saying he’s been a fantastic signing. However I hope Cummings can finish because the wastefulness of Morelos is going to cost us points again
5 chances, good chances at that. 2 with the goal gaping & we get 1 goal
He either needs to work on his finishing or get a bit more composure (I understand he’s young). It’s becoming a trend in our matches that he continues to miss multiple very good chances, which you can forgive if the goalie makes a good save like Gordon did, in general though these chances are back post headers etc which after doing so well to get into the position in the first place should be buried.

Ffs I’ll add this here since it seems to have gone over everyone’s heads...
The thread title is a play on words
How to solve a problem like Maria (sound of music)
It was not saying Morelos is a problem. Missed chances can be a problem as we’ve found out a few times this season which is why after beating Aberdeen 3 times & drawing with Celtic we are only ahead of Aberdeen on goal difference but that’s aimed at every player not just him. Of course he will miss chances, I just hope he starts to put the sitters away[/QUOTE

Your opinion's appreciated on here, but i think you'll find that most central strikers fail to hit the target all the time.
Ive been watching the Gers. For 73 yrs.and ive seen a few chances wasted in my time,i can assure you.
So my point is, even though he misses chances he never lets his head go down, and always comes back for more.
And always makes himself available in scoring positions, which is a very good trait to have, especially if your playing up front on your own against two big central defenders. Ps. Hopefully he stays with us for a while yet, but if he leaves the club, i think we'll get good money for him.F.F.

I agree completely that players will always miss chances, if not they’d go for 100s of millions.
My issue isn’t that he is missing as such, it’s that he is missing so many. I’d say he’s our most sellable asset & given another 6 months of similar performances could go for big money, given another 18 months and a league winners medal and he’d go for the biggest money that’s come into this league

If Morelos was finishing all these chances and scoring hat tricks every game he wouldn't be a Rangers player as he'd already be at a higher level.

The reality is that we've got a young, raw talent who gets himself into great scoring positions whilst also contributing to the build up and our overall style of play. His finishing could do with a bit of work but he's still the top scorer in the league and he's still getting into the positions.

He is far from our biggest problem and he can only get better.

If Morelos was finishing all these chances and scoring hat tricks every game he wouldn't be a Rangers player as he'd already be at a higher level.

The reality is that we've got a young, raw talent who gets himself into great scoring positions whilst also contributing to the build up and our overall style of play. His finishing could do with a bit of work but he's still the top scorer in the league and he's still getting into the positions.

He is far from our biggest problem and he can only get better.

As far as I can see, we don’t really have any real problems. Aberdeen are our closest challengers and we’ve beat them 3 times now while making them look utterly ordinary and I’m being kind there, I suppose if you were looking at where we can improve it’s undoubtedly at home against lesser sides. The squad looks to have healthy competition for each position

Morelos isn't a problem, our expectations are the problem.

I don't see Morelos as being our main striker. His strengths are the way he holds the ball up, his willingness to come deep to pick it up, and his ability to make the defender's lives a misery. Oh, and yes, he does score goals.

But we are expecting him to net most of his chances. No striker does that.

What we need to do is to pair him up with a genuine penalty box striker. Maybe Cummings is that person. That will take the pressure off Morelos, allow him to do what he is best at and, in my opinion, Rangers will score a lot more goals.

Back