How’s Archie Knox doing

I met Archie a couple of weeks ago when I was lucky enough to be invited into the blue room for the match against Hibs, chatting to him for near on 15/20 minutes. During our conversation, I asked how Walter was getting on, he kinda sighed, puffed out his cheeks and said aye he’s doing ok. I could tell by his response that it was probably the opposite. I could only reply with “we are all thinking of him”.

Last edited:
What a time that was.

gn20.png

Was also thinking about him and, as earlier/other posts refer to, would like to think someone is sitting with Gazza over the next few days.
A few folks have referred to Walter as being their 2nd father. Surely that was never more evident than with Gazza.
Condolences to both, as they have both lost a figure who was a major part in their life's journey.

Was also thinking about him and, as earlier/other posts refer to, would like to think someone is sitting with Gazza over the next few days.
A few folks have referred to Walter as being their 2nd father. Surely that was never more evident than with Gazza.
Condolences to both, as they have both lost a figure who was a major part in their life's journey.
FATHER FIGURE

Walter Smith: Rangers icon Paul Gascoigne says ex-manager gave him ‘something to smile about again’ in football​

• Ryan Rowe
  • 16:02, 26 Oct 2021
  • Updated: 16:25, 26 Oct 2021
PAUL GASCOIGNE has emotionally revealed that Walter Smith got him smiling about football again.
The legendary manager, who brought Gascoigne to Rangers in 1995, passed away this morning at the age of 73.
Walter Smith and Paul Gascoigne with Archie Knox celebrate Rangers' eighth consecutive title in 1996
Walter Smith and Paul Gascoigne with Archie Knox celebrate Rangers' eighth consecutive title in 1996
The England hero arrived in Govan following three whirlwind years in Italy with Lazio, where he struggled with injuries and adapting to the Italian way of life.
Gascoigne went on to win four trophies during his time in Scotland and was a fans' favourite.
In particular he is remembered for his displays in the 1995-96 season when Rangers won their eighth league title in a row and Gazza was named the SFWA Player of the Year and PFA Scotland Players' Player of the Year.
And Gascoigne made a heartfelt admission that those highs would not have been possible without Smith's role in restoring his confidence in football.
The England hero paid tribute to his former gaffer, saying: "I am extremely upset to hear the news of Walter's passing.
"I really looked up to Walter, he gave me something to smile about again with football and he supported me like a father figure while at Rangers.

"I will miss our frequent phone chats. I am thinking about Walter's family at this sad time."

Smith later signed Gascoigne again when he was manager at Everton.

Meanwhile, former Rangers managers Alex McLeish and Mark Warburton both described Walter Smith a "legend" after the former Ibrox boss' death.

McLeish, who also succeeded Smith as Scotland manager in 2007, said: "I am absolutely devastated.

"My thoughts are with Walter's wife Ethel and his sons Neil and Steven, and the whole family.

"Walter was a great mentor to me in my coaching career and someone I learnt a great deal from.

"More importantly, he was a great friend and I always looked forward to being in his company.

"He is a true legend of the football world."

Warburton was appointed Rangers manager in 2015 when the Ibrox club was working its way up through the divisions.

He echoed McLeish's sentiments about Smith being a legend and called him an inspiration.

Warburton told talkSPORT: "He inspired me. I think the word 'legend' is bandied around far too many times these days.

"But when you think of Walter Smith, everyone would agree he is a legend for Rangers and the game in general."

If Graeme Souness' best ever signing was Walter, Walter's best signing, the first time around, was Archie Knox. In the context of Walter's first managerial role and so on, Archie was exactly everything Walter needed in a right-hand man. Great days, and those two were great together

Cool story bro time, mate was on holiday the other week went into a wee pub in Ayr Archie was in with Craig Brown.
Mate spoke to him and said he was brand new and chatted away.
The chef hadn’t turned up or whatever so Archie asked everyone what they wanted nipped next door to Greggs and came back with pies and empire biscuits, hurrah.

Last edited:
Back