How accurate is VAR at offside calls?

WinkieWATP

Just seen the Wolves goal that was chopped off last night. Looked to be nothing between the players. However it looked to me as if the ball had already left the player passing the ball in the picture?

Yes. Too much depends on when the VAR decide the ball is played and where on the body they attach the lines. And referees being referees, they will tend to look for an offside imo.

I think in general var is a good idea but we need to look at the interpretation of the offside rule. Too many good goals have been disallowed because var has shown a miniscule part of the player was a couple of inches ahead of the line of defenders.
Maybe that could be reversed so for example the player scores with a shot or header as long as a part of his body is level with the last defender he would be considered on side.

As Rossgers said a huge issue is that they seem to choose the frame of the ball leaving the players foot and then go and get the lines out to measure if the player is offside. I think in cases where it is so tight they could do with going back and looking in closer detail at when the ball was played, they might find that if they were to roll it on a frame or two then the offside call might become a little clearer

I would prefer the ref has a look at the still, if he cant call it without lines etc the benefit is giving to the attacking team.
This is where the truth lies. Offside has always been based on the naked eye, so they should drop the lines completely. Pause the screen at exactly when the player kicks the ball ( as the ball leaves the boot.) and look at the back line, if a player is clearly beyond the defence then it’s a clear off side, if it’s not clear?,then the benefit of the doubt goes to the attacker. All this elbow, shoe lace, baw hair off side pish is ruining the game.
VAR could be so much better, especially if they were miked up to the Stadium PA from the pitch and the VAR site, so everyone can here what has been said, the refs are more secret than a sneaky squirrel, and there is no need.

This is where the truth lies. Offside has always been based on the naked eye, so they should drop the lines completely. Pause the screen at exactly when the player kicks the ball ( as the ball leaves the boot.) and look at the back line, if a player is clearly beyond the defence then it’s a clear off side, if it’s not clear?,then the benefit of the doubt goes to the attacker. All this elbow, shoe lace, baw hair off side pish is ruining the game.
VAR could be so much better, especially if they were miked up to the Stadium PA from the pitch and the VAR site, so everyone can here what has been said, the refs are more secret than a sneaky squirrel, and there is no need.
Very well said. In full agreement with that.

Reactions: TQ3
More accurate than people but it’s impossible for any video system to be 100% accurate as it’s just a series of still images.

I would prefer the ref has a look at the still, if he cant call it without lines etc the benefit is giving to the attacking team.
Like they do in the NFL.
If they can't see something concrete to overturn the call, the decision stands.

I'm a fan of the principles of VAR, but using lines to find a hair on a guys legs in an offside position is nonsense.

If Scotland were to introduce VAR I would like it to be for Penalties, offsides and Red offences. TV screen at the side of the park where the ref can go and have a look himself or the 4th official can offer a 2nd opinion. Never mind all the lines etc and the var team they have looking at it in a studio. Surely that’s cheap and viable for our top flight?. Yes they will get things wrong at times but they will get more right that wrong I would say.

Last night was the single worst VAR decision I saw.

Horrendous. Not the game I grew up watching and playing. Thats a goal every day of the year!

Yes. Too much depends on when the VAR decide the ball is played and where on the body they attach the lines. And referees being referees, they will tend to look for an offside imo.
It is better for a bad goal to be given than a good goal to be disallowed.

Whatever happened to what they told us before this abomination came in. Clear and obvious, they said, no one said this would involve lines across a screen and a big toe making the difference. Clear and obvious was a downright lie.

I don't care what anyone says, in all the changes I've seen in football, VAR is the worst by a long way. It's ok for certain sports, like rugby, cricket ect, not for football.

It ruins it for me watching it on tv, must be a 100 times worse being actually at the game.

VAR is a very subjective subject when it is applied correctly then yes I can see the benefits but when they start ruling out goals for an arm or a toe offside then it becomes a farce

UEFA have VAR pretty much as good as it's going to get now after a couple of years of struggling with it.

No idea why the EPL do it the way they do it.

Whatever happened to what they told us before this abomination came in. Clear and obvious, they said, no one said this would involve lines across a screen and a big toe making the difference. Clear and obvious was a downright lie.

I don't care what anyone says, in all the changes I've seen in football, VAR is the worst by a long way. It's ok for certain sports, like rugby, cricket ect, not for football.

It ruins it for me watching it on tv, must be a 100 times worse being actually at the game.

I remember sitting at the Levekusen game last year and wondering why they weren't taking a corner. VAR check flashes up on the screens. Next thing everyone around me is getting messages saying they are going to get a penalty. So everyone ended up just sitting there waiting on the ref giving them it.

Fast forward to this year and Nathan Patterson's goal v Antwerp. I didn't celebrate as I was certain he was offside until I saw the replay and then I just sorta have a muted "yes."

It completely wastes it for the spectator.

Clear and obvious doesn’t apply to offside decisions.

Won't ever be spot in but can be much better.

I'm sure the tech is out there to make it fully automatic but I don't know if that would cause chaos or not.

Clear and obvious doesn’t apply to offside decisions.
They didnt tell us that at the time. In fact its causing the biggest problem with the whole thing.

They could have used VAR to more or less wipe out the cheating that goes on in the game, they're not using it well at all. When the crowd eventually does hold back from celebrating a goal, then that to me will destroy the very soul and enjoyment of the game. Even if the goals eventually given, the moment is lost.

They didnt tell us that at the time. In fact its causing the biggest problem with the whole thing.

They could have used VAR to more or less wipe out the cheating that goes on in the game, they're not using it well at all. When the crowd eventually does hold back from celebrating a goal, then that to me will destroy the very soul and enjoyment of the game. Even if the goals eventually given, the moment is lost.
Yes they did.

VAR is a very subjective subject when it is applied correctly then yes I can see the benefits but when they start ruling out goals for an arm or a toe offside then it becomes a farce
I still don’t understand how a goal can be ruled out for part of your arm being a millionth of a millimetre ahead of a defender - you can’t fcuking score with your arm! o_O

If it can’t be decided in under 30seconds then it isn’t clear and obvious.

There’s been more farcical decisions than before since it came in

I think in general var is a good idea but we need to look at the interpretation of the offside rule. Too many good goals have been disallowed because var has shown a miniscule part of the player was a couple of inches ahead of the line of defenders.
Maybe that could be reversed so for example the player scores with a shot or header as long as a part of his body is level with the last defender he would be considered on side.
Should be full body ahead, nothing less. This nonsense that his finger breached the line is destroying the game. All or nothing. Maybe just di away with the rule altogether then problem is solved

A lot of the arguments would cease if they altered the offside law to there having to be 'clear daylight' between the attacker and defender.

Goal-line technology I can understand, but VAR still throws up controversy, when it was supposed to end any arguments.
I'd say that's more on the stupid rules.
The fact they are open to interpretation provides grey areas.

There needs to be clarity on things like offsides and handballs which cause most of the controversy.

If we all know what is or isn't a handball, there's no scope for the VAR to get it wrong.

The problem with moans about a pinkie nail etc, being offside are wrong. How much of the body could you allow? If a part of your body is offside, that's it. If we use visual technology what else can we do?

I'd say that's more on the stupid rules.
The fact they are open to interpretation provides grey areas.

There needs to be clarity on things like offsides and handballs which cause most of the controversy.

If we all know what is or isn't a handball, there's no scope for the VAR to get it wrong.
Did you see the penalty Villarreal got midweek. Smashed at his arm from about a yard.

Did you see the penalty Villarreal got midweek. Smashed at his arm from about a yard.
Didn't see it but sounds like a great example.

No way something like that should be a penalty but open to interpretation.
There shouldn't be a refs opinion on whether it's a handball or not, it should just be what's in the rules.

What they are doing wrong here is studying the still with a microscope. Why should a goal be disallowed because one player's shirt is flapping in the wind, for example? They should just use the naked eye and if it is an obvious error by the ref then reverse the ref's decision.

I think VAR is a good addition but offside should be decided where the front foot of the attacking player is, past the defenders offside, in front onside.

Last nights the attackers feet were about a foot behind the defender’s feet. But because he is moving forward his body is shaped differently to the defenders. So is a baw hair offside.

If Scotland were to introduce VAR I would like it to be for Penalties, offsides and Red offences. TV screen at the side of the park where the ref can go and have a look himself or the 4th official can offer a 2nd opinion. Never mind all the lines etc and the var team they have looking at it in a studio. Surely that’s cheap and viable for our top flight?. Yes they will get things wrong at times but they will get more right that wrong I would say.
I agree that if we had just the monitor at the side of the pitch, any contentious decision could be evaluated by the ref before concluding a decision (a VAR light), although I suspect the Holy Trinity (Collum, Clancy and Robertson) would not seek to use it against their paymasters in any situation.

I think that Liverpool goal just about trumps them all. Absolutely level when the ball was played but the guessing of a bloke on a computer rules it out...and I hate Liverpool.

I think that Liverpool goal just about trumps them all. Absolutely level when the ball was played but the guessing of a bloke on a computer rules it out...and I hate Liverpool.
God knows what var seen in Liverpool Villa game ???
Ridiculous
Just saw the Liverpool one. Is clear and obvious no longer a thing?
VAR could have ruled that either way just by moving the film on or back a frame and nobody would be any the wiser. That's how ridiculous this is.

The problem with moans about a pinkie nail etc, being offside are wrong. How much of the body could you allow? If a part of your body is offside, that's it. If we use visual technology what else can we do?
If you think that was offside for Wolves last night I think you'd get almost no one agreeing with you.

There are laws that respect "the spirit of the game". Does someone being offside because a part of their body they cant even play the ball with is a mm ahead of the defender really respect the spirit of sport.

Its a joke.

VAR means more pens and less open play goals. Thats not what anyone wants. Its like daft rules in F1 that see hardly anyone overtake anymore and other such entertainment destroying rules.

The use of VAR for offside as it is right now is BS. The Jota offside today was millimetres and there's no way to ascertain if they got the moment of the pass exactly right. Get rid of the video game lines and use it for clear and obvious errors. There was nothing clear and obvious about the Jota one today or the Wolves incident yesterday.

Should be taken from the 1st frame where you see a gap between foot and ball. That's when you know it's been played.
I think there should also be a gap between players. No gap. Then they are in line and onside. Things like a toe being offside etc is a load of shite.

Back