How badly do you think we need to sign another Striker?

We will find out over the course of our pre seasons/Aberdeen away.

If we go with the same system, the same predictable tactics, and no major additions I'll be majority concerned.

We can’t wait for that to happen.

This season is massive. We have to sort this shit before we kick off.

I’m ok with it not being Ronaldo, but we need something rather than Stewart or Defoe. It just doesn’t work well enough as an alternate option.

I haven’t seen much of Dykes, but from the clips, he’d do the job for pennies.

Very badly. You need 3 or 4 and we currently have one who has regular disciplinary issues and another who is a very effective sub but too old to regularly play 90 minutes.

Can’t see him changing his system and the lack of additions is a cause for concern already.

If he doesn't change it then it will be a repeat of last season imo.

We can’t wait for that to happen.

This season is massive. We have to sort this shit before we kick off.

I’m ok with it not being Ronaldo, but we need something rather than Stewart or Defoe. It just doesn’t work well enough as an alternate option.

I haven’t seen much of Dykes, but from the clips, he’d do the job for pennies.

Agreed

Four first team additions are needed also the bench needs strengthened until any of the above starts to happen then it's hard to get excited for the season ahead.

My major worries is it will be groundhog day again next season.

I remain optimistic but we need quality in immediately.

Would love to see us play a 3-5-2. Would also like to see a striker to come in to rival Morelos. If we could get someone to partner him in a 3-5-2 I reckon we would rip teams apart. Reckon Kamberi will come in, hopefully get another of Morelos quality to challenge if we are playing with one central striker.

Touched on it in the transfer thread but I feel this topic is worthy of discussion on its own. Currently we are going into the new season with relying on Morelos to bang in the goals for us and Defoe as his sole back up.

My primary concerns are that Morelos is not capable of carrying us through an entire season on his own, and will unquestionably face suspensions, injuries & dips of form just like everyone else, and also that Defoe is just not an adequate replacement for Morelos. Defoe is a fine squad player who'll get you goals but he doesn't offer anywhere near the same focal point as Morelos. He shouldn't be used as a direct Morelos replacement for me.

IMO a quality third striker should be our number 1 priority at present. Our previous title winning/3iar squad always had guys like Jelavic, Naismith, Lafferty, Miller & Boyd - we were never too reliant on one individual to do it for us throughout the entire season and I feel like that's something we desperately need to replicate going into next.

Looking at the names linked guys like Roofe & Toney excite me, but they shouldn't be signed only if Morelos goes - we need someone like this to support Morelos and help bang in goals when he's not doing it for us.

Badly. The reliance on Alfredo has cost us dearly in the past 2 seasons

Touched on it in the transfer thread but I feel this topic is worthy of discussion on its own. Currently we are going into the new season with relying on Morelos to bang in the goals for us and Defoe as his sole back up.

My primary concerns are that Morelos is not capable of carrying us through an entire season on his own, and will unquestionably face suspensions, injuries & dips of form just like everyone else, and also that Defoe is just not an adequate replacement for Morelos. Defoe is a fine squad player who'll get you goals but he doesn't offer anywhere near the same focal point as Morelos. He shouldn't be used as a direct Morelos replacement for me.

IMO a quality third striker should be our number 1 priority at present. Our previous title winning/3iar squad always had guys like Jelavic, Naismith, Lafferty, Miller & Boyd - we were never too reliant on one individual to do it for us throughout the entire season and I feel like that's something we desperately need to replicate going into next.

Looking at the names linked guys like Roofe & Toney excite me, but they shouldn't be signed only if Morelos goes - we need someone like this to support Morelos and help bang in goals when he's not doing it for us.

We are gaunae need 2 as its likely as you say Alfie will go. Lazio now lookin at him.

The Gaffer will have to choose wisely who is coming in.

Successful strikers or striking partnerships tend to play close together - hately McCoist - shearer and that dick at Blackburn , they feed off each other’s scraps and knock ons. If we don’t play another striker as such , our top three have to be there backImg each other - we did seem very wasteful at times last season

We're extremely reliant on someone who has unfortunately proven himself to be unreliable

Morelos/high quality addition/Defoe is my preference but we will definitely need to bring two in if Morelos does go

2 strikers in for when Morelos leaves
And they need to be top drawer.
Forget Kambreri

Top priority.Watching the Hamilton highlights was like a flashback to the
last couple of years.Goal attempts were woeful.:(

We need Ross Wilson to find another Morelos level striker for about £1-2m, rabbit out a hat stuff, plus sign Kamberi. That’s if we keep Morelos.

Please stop the panicking. The English window doesn’t open until 27 July. If Alfredo is going south, then it won’t happen until then.
Similarly, in terms of signings lined up, no one can be signed from major European leagues until 1 August I think.
However, any incoming players will arrive fit as they have been playing during the summer months.
We may have to play the sheep and one or two other games (even Leverkusen) a bit light but by end August I suspect our squad will look a good bit stronger.

Last edited:
Imho we need a striker that is if not better than Alfie,I love the wi man,but he’s to unpredictable,I’ve no doubt he’ll become a top level striker,just not with us.We need a Jelavic or better a Hateley,someone that not only scores goals he creates them aswell

Which is a fairly normal return, around twenty goals from your striker over the complete season. It's not Morelos that's the issue in our team it's the others. We need better behind him to win the league.
I didn’t say it was but he’s scored less in the league than Defoe. The midfield need to chip in with more goals.

I didn’t say it was but he’s scored less in the league than Defoe. The midfield need to chip in with more goals.

So we are in complete agreement then! The fact our back up striker has scored more league goals than our main one is even better.

It's probably the one area of the team where we have star quality, why the hell would we focus our recruitment on it? We really need better in the middle of the park. I like every single player in there but the whole unit is woefully inconsistent. We go from performances like the cup final to a complete scrap at Hamilton and its the absolute root cause of our problems. Four years back in the top league and I still don't feel fully confident going into any game and it's tm because we can't consistently dominate games from start to finish like we should.

I think it’s the difference between challenging n not challenging for the league. At the very least I would take dykes n kamberi

Has to be a BIG priority at least 1 ideally 2 or we are resigning ourself to second slot
I dont see Alfie lasting season and as much as I love Defoe, Hearts game I think it was visibly lacking pace to be expected with his age and another year older

We very much need one and he must be someone of a much better quality than Dykes or Kamberi.

Defoe is probably my favourite player in the current squad, and when fit he is still the sharpest goal scorer in Scotland. But, he’s 38 in a few months - can we rely on him being fit over a whole season?
Aside from the questions over discipline and attitude, it would do Alfie good if we had any striker to ease some pressure from him and also give us an option of going to two up front.

I appreciate what I’m about to say will not be at all popular but..
I’d like to see us move Morelos on and buy a top class replacement that actually improves us as a team.
Alfie coming back to us overweight after the lockdown is a really worrying stat.
He’s no use to us if he’s a fat.

Fernando Forestieri and Steven Fletcher are both with no club and available

Last edited:
I personally think the likes of Kamberi or Dykes are really only good enough for back-up & / or alongside Alfie

If Alfie goes neither of these two are capable of doing much on their own or alongside Defoe imo

Get the feeling Morelos is here for another year, 6 months at least with the comments Defoe has made and Somebody else recently. Screams we are not getting the right value for him so won't sell.

I still hope we bring in another striker though.

Last edited:
When we won the league in 2011 we had Jelevic, Miller for half a season, Naismith, Lafferty, Douif for half a season and Healy. All able to score most weeks. At the moment we have Alfie who when he is in the mood is unstoppable but when he is off the boil he is as good as a man down. For all the praise Defoe gets on here I have never saw it myself.

Obviously money dictates BUT if it was me who was our DoF I would be throwing every last penny into replacing Morelos and signing a No10 type as we are crying our for a goal scoring midfielder.

Got to hope Kent & Hagi can get to double figures this season too.

We need another striker on the basis that Morelos is likely to find himself suspended at different times in the season, and Defoe can’t be expected to play 6 games in a month if that happens (or an injury). I would go against the grain here, I think we need someone who fits into the system, not a ‘different option’. What I really want in the team is a midfielder that can shoot from 25 yards.

I'd be quite gutted if we couldn't find a striker that can push Morelos to the edge. Someone that will actively challenge him for the first team.

Another striker is essential if we are to challenge this season.

Unthinkable to go into the season with two recognised strikers
Two recognised strikers who can’t play in the same team. Feeling of Hopelessness when chasing a goal and bringing off one for the other or shunting them around for the last 15 making them ineffective.

If we shook it up a bit and heaven forbid played a working system where both Alfie and Defoe played, we would need two back up strikers.

Last edited:
When we won the league in 2011 we had Jelevic, Miller for half a season, Naismith, Lafferty, Douif for half a season and Healy. All able to score most weeks. At the moment we have Alfie who when he is in the mood is unstoppable but when he is off the boil he is as good as a man down. For all the praise Defoe gets on here I have never saw it myself.

Obviously money dictates BUT if it was me who was our DoF I would be throwing every last penny into replacing Morelos and signing a No10 type as we are crying our for a goal scoring midfielder.

Got to hope Kent & Hagi can get to double figures this season too.
We have already spent £3m on a number 10.

We definitely need another striker & if we sell Morelos we’ll need two.

With the way we play, a big target man would be ideal for getting on the end of early balls from Borna & Tav

With the amount of chances we make, if we had a McCoist he would be ripping up the record books.

Back