How big are Rangers in the UK?

therealjmac

Got into a discussion with a few of my mates as I live in England, how big do you think we are in U.K. terms? I’ve always considered the biggest to be United and Liverpool (Liverpool atm) then the old firm teams then Arsenal Chels etc. But don’t know for a fact. Of course the english teams have massive following in Asia etc but I reckon we have more UK based fans than Arsenal for example (season tickets a pointer), was wondering if anyone could tell us how many fans we have in Britain.

Got into a discussion with a few of my mates as I live in England, how big do you think we are in U.K. terms? I’ve always considered the biggest to be United and Liverpool (Liverpool atm) then the old firm teams then Arsenal Chels etc. But don’t know for a fact. Of course the english teams have massive following in Asia etc but I reckon we have more UK based fans than Arsenal for example (season tickets a pointer), was wondering if anyone could tell us how many fans we have in Britain.
More today than we had yesterday...

Not as big as we should be... Although Stevie G...has definitely raised our profile.
We're behind them because of the whole Oirish BS
+ Man United...Chelsea...Liverpool.. Man City....
Real Madrid...Barcelona... Juventus...Inter Milan...
Bayern Munchen... Porto,Arsenal+Tottenham we may pip.... So imo the tail end of the top 15 club teams...
SORRY I SOMEHOW THOUGHT you were asking about the USofEH..... Which my response was based on.

Arsenal have more fans than us in the UK mate. The population of London is 8 million. Arsenal are the biggest supported club in the south.
The population of Scotland is 5 million

when I was young I’m sure it was always Man U, Liverpool, Rangers, Celtic, Arsenal, Leeds that we’re considered to be the historically big clubs

Just remember that the old firm teams tended to have some if the largest crowds in the who of the UK and Scotland has always punched above its size in regards people attending footbal. It’s games in Scotland that hold the British records to this day.

I still maintain if Rangers and Celtic played against better opponents week I week out say in the EPL the demand for tickets would be huge, you would perhaps have to add another 10,000 or more seats on to both grounds.

Rangers as still a massive name. Wasn’t it said that the 2008 UEFA cup final was thought to be the biggest mass movement of people since WW2.

it’s one thing they always seem to skirt round when talking about joining the EPL, it’s not how good the clubs are now it’s the potential and easily with the increase in revenue Rangers would be one if the top 3 epl clubs as we would have that fanbase to warrant expansion.

when I was young I’m sure it was always Man U, Liverpool, Rangers, Celtic, Arsenal, Leeds that we’re considered to be the historically big clubs

Just remember that the old firm teams tended to have some if the largest crowds in the who of the UK and Scotland has always punched above its size in regards people attending footbal. It’s games in Scotland that hold the British records to this day.

I'm sure that in the 90's or early 2000's a survey was done, with English football fans, where were the fourth or fifth most supported club.

I do think there is a new generation thing - going off social media FWIW - who see the EPL as the be all and end all in modern football and won't ever realise how big Rangers are until and if they come up here to experience it. Your older 'da's' down the road will know that we are enormous.

Manchester 2008 and the travelling support was seismic (as mentioned above) and probably changed more than a few minds even as far back as then.

I do think there is a new generation thing - going off social media FWIW - who see the EPL as the be all and end all in modern football and won't ever realise how big Rangers are until and if they come up here to experience it. Your older 'da's' down the road will know that we are enormous.

Manchester 2008 and the travelling support was seismic (as mentioned above) and probably changed more than a few minds even as far back as then.

you see the videos of the young lad that tours the ground with his father, Thogden or something is his user name on YouTube, that lad is mesmerised by Rangers and Ibrox.
How often do you hear someone mention the sheer noise of the place as well as the way the stadium jumps when it’s in full bouncy mode

Bigger than a lot of us think.
Sure Man U and Liverpool have huge fanbases all over due to their successful histories but I personally will remember the comments from Bristol City fans at Bristol "never seen an away support like it including the Man U's etc in the cup" and Villa ST holders at a U-19's game at Tamworth, "bloody 'ell there's 'oondreds of 'em they've come from all over" "we wouldn't even get that for the first team if we played in Scotland" I'm assuming he meant a pre season friendly.
Everywhere Anywhere.

It’s very difficult to tell numbers wise. I genuinely believe no one in England follows their team in mass like us and them. If an English club got to a European final in an English city you wouldn’t see the sheer the mass of people you saw in Manchester. I truly believe that.

having tried to research it after helping get a new RSC off the ground in 2008 I also strongly believe no other club had as many supporters clubs as we do in so many places. Yes the big English clubs have fans come from all over but’s individuals or small groups of mates getting together to travel. I really don’t think there as many places in England that have a gathering for a game like the high tens or even hundreds of Bears who come together to watch our team.

As far as the media goes, they always put the championship before us in the listings/headlines.

As far any kind of affection from other club’s fans is concerned, there are huge numbers, in my experience of southern England who would support us if you asked them to choose.

This has been posted on here before.

The list below gives the amount of times each club has played in front of a crowd of 100,000 or more in the UK.

41 - Rangers
26 - Celtic
12 - Man United
10 - Liverpool
9 - Aberdeen, Spurs
7 - Arsenal,Newcastle
6 - Aston Villa, West Ham, Man City, Everton, Hibernian,
4 - Notts Forest, Leeds, Kilmarnock, Motherwell, Morton,
3 - Sunderland, Bolton, Wolverhampton, Leicester, Chelsea, Norwich, St Mirren,Hearts,
2 - Blackpool, West Brom, Preston, Southampton, Brighton, Clyde, East Fife,
Dundee, Dunfermline, Eintract Frankfurt,
1 - Sheffield United, Birmingham, Luton, Blackburn, Burnley, Sheffield Wed, Fulham, Ipswich, QPR, Watford, Stoke, Benfica, Munich 1860, Real Madrid

“Huge followings” in Asia don’t really count much in my eyes. They might help generate publicity and revenue, but they aren’t really supporters. Leicester went from being a bit of a non entity in Asia to having a big Asian fan base as soon as they won the league. These folk aren’t real supporters.

It wasn’t so long ago the filth had on their wiki page that they had 9 million fans worldwide, 7 million of which were in Japan due to Nakamura. Delusional to say the least.

In terms of boots on the ground supporters in the UK, Man Utd and Liverpool are the only clubs I’d say for definite that would be bigger than us.

Arsenal have more fans than us in the UK mate. The population of London is 8 million. Arsenal are the biggest supported club in the south.

Not saying your argument is incorrect, but its not like everyone in London is a football fan. I couldn't/cant believe how many of my colleagues down south couldn't care about football.

Football tourism from Asia props up the EPL.
Corona virus might put a temporary stop to that.

The list below gives the amount of times each club has played in front of a crowd of 100,000 or more in the UK.

41 - Rangers
26 - Celtic
12 - Man United
10 - Liverpool
9 - Aberdeen, Spurs
7 - Arsenal,Newcastle
3 - Sunderland, Bolton, Wolverhampton, Leicester, Chelsea, Norwich, St Mirren,Hearts,
1 - Sheffield United, Birmingham, Luton, Blackburn, Burnley, Sheffield Wed, Fulham, Ipswich, QPR, Watford, Stoke, Benfica, Munich 1860, Real Madrid

“Huge followings” in Asia don’t really count much in my eyes. They might help generate publicity and revenue, but they aren’t really supporters. Leicester went from being a bit of a non entity in Asia to having a big Asian fan base as soon as they won the league. These folk aren’t real supporters.

It wasn’t so long ago the filth had on their wiki page that they had 9 million fans worldwide, 7 million of which were in Japan due to Nakamura. Delusional to say the least.

In terms of boots on the ground supporters in the UK, Man Utd and Liverpool are the only clubs I’d say for definite that would be bigger than us.
Thats an interesting list, who compiled that?

Not saying your argument is incorrect, but its not like everyone in London is a football fan. I couldn't/cant believe how many of my colleagues down south couldn't care about football.
How many of our 5 million population are gers fans. Probably under half a million. We're the biggest supported club in Scotland without a shadow of a doubt.

41 - Rangers
26 - Celtic
12 - Man United
10 - Liverpool
9 - Aberdeen, Spurs
7 - Arsenal,Newcastle

When is that list from?

I still maintain if Rangers and Celtic played against better opponents week I week out say in the EPL the demand for tickets would be huge, you would perhaps have to add another 10,000 or more seats on to both grounds.

Rangers as still a massive name. Wasn’t it said that the 2008 UEFA cup final was thought to be the biggest mass movement of people since WW2.

it’s one thing they always seem to skirt round when talking about joining the EPL, it’s not how good the clubs are now it’s the potential and easily with the increase in revenue Rangers would be one if the top 3 epl clubs as we would have that fanbase to warrant expansion.
you ww2 comment is a mentle statistic mate! and i could well believe that.

In the vids I’ve seen if him makes it look like he is more ‘mesmerized’ by the Tims, his father’s face tells a different picture though when he comments on how iconic they are, be it their ground, strip or pies... He needs likes and subscriptions, so turns on the love where ever he goes.. false and patronizing as f.*ck.
you see the videos of the young lad that tours the ground with his father, Thogden or something is his user name on YouTube, that lad is mesmerised by Rangers and Ibrox.
How often do you hear someone mention the sheer noise of the place as well as the way the stadium jumps when it’s in full bouncy mode

Living in England I've always found fans f many English teams have us a second team. This being mainly due to the UK and them being ira loving bastards.

Down jn England just now for work and found a quiet wee pub showing the game and thought I'd keep myself to myself. Sure enough come the 2nd half a rangers fan who'd just fi ished work showed up to watch it.

This has happened countless times I've came down south. We've many fans across many towns in England, and usually locals who realise I'm a rangers fan have good things to say.

I'm always surprised by the level of interest and support in us outside of Scotland.

I think you forget how many people world wide are Scottish or off Scottish decent. There will be loads of Rangers fans there.

there are many scots in England and many English bears as well as the bears from NI

I’m not sure how you would gauge either argument but I don’t agree Arsenal have a bigger fanbase than Rangers.

maybe it’s because I’m not looking for them but I certainly see more Rangers pubs abroad that I’ve ever seen arsenal ones.

Not as big as we should be... Although Stevie G...has definitely raised our profile.
We're behind them because of the whole Oirish BS
+ Man United...Chelsea...Liverpool.. Man City....
Real Madrid...Barcelona... Juventus...Inter Milan...
Bayern Munchen... Porto,Arsenal+Tottenham we may pip.... So imo the tail end of the top 15 club teams...
SORRY I SOMEHOW THOUGHT you were asking about the USofEH..... Which my response was based on.
Behind who?

How many of our 5 million population are gers fans. Probably under half a million. We're the biggest supported club in Scotland without a shadow of a doubt.

id wager the actual numbers of people who support Rangers in Scotland is higher than that. I’m sure if you were at Ibrox on a match day with a 50k crowd most fans could mention a bunch of Rangers supporters they know who wernt there

I also live in England so I've ended up talking about it with the locals on a number of occasions. When I say I support Rangers they'll take a bit of interest but it's more around the Old Firm. I can't stress enough just how unseriously the English take Scottish football. Say something like Rangers have won more leagues than any other club and they'll laugh it off and say, "Yeah but in a shit league" or something to that effect.

Rangers, Celtic, Liverpool and Man United.

There’s not a team in the U.K. that comes close to either of the four in terms of worldwide following.

I also live in England so I've ended up talking about it with the locals on a number of occasions. When I say I support Rangers they'll take a bit of interest but it's more around the Old Firm. I can't stress enough just how unseriously the English take Scottish football. Say something like Rangers have won more leagues than any other club and they'll laugh it off and say, "Yeah but in a shit league" or something to that effect.

to be fair there is a couple of generations now who think The EPL is the be all and end all in football. Scottish Football is better than many give it credit for. Our big two teams have punched above weight for a while considering the huge gap in finance over the bigger leagues

Absolute nonsense !!!

I live down here and your statement is bollocks at best.
Arsenal couldn't dream of a loyal support like we have.
They play in a populated area, but there is a tiny portion of the population there that even like football, never mind Arsenal.
I know hundreds of Arsenal 'likers' down here, none have ever been to see them, couldn't tell you their history and wouldn't be able to find their stadium with a sat nav and underground map.

Spurs are exactly the same.
A core of hardcore supporters with a horde of 'likers' who might look for the score on a Saturday but it wouldn't put them up nor down if it was a lose.

Last edited:
OK Fair dUOTE="EssexRangers, post: 5467876, member: 13727"]
Absolute nonsense !!!

They live in a populated area, but there is a tiny portion of the population there that even like football, never mind Arsenal.
I know hundreds of Arsenal 'likers' down here, none have ever been to see them, couldn't tell you their history and wouldn't be able to find their stadium with a sat nav and underground map.

A core of hardcore supporters with a horde of 'likers' who might look for the score on a Saturday but it wouldn't put them up nor down if it was a lose.
[/QUOTE]
OK
Absolute nonsense !!!

They live in a populated area, but there is a tiny portion of the population there that even like football, never mind Arsenal.

Having a loyal support is a different debate.

Absolute nonsense !!!

Spot on. Man United Liverpool potentially Rangers and Celtic next.

Arsenal and Spurs are well supported clubs in a densely populated area but doesn't compare to Rangers IMO.

OK Fair dUOTE="EssexRangers, post: 5467876, member: 13727"]
Absolute nonsense !!!

OK

[/QUOTE]

A 'supporter' who has, and will never, put a penny into the club is no supporter at all.
If you have never even seen 'your' club playing, then you are not a supporter at all.
If 'your' team being beaten makes no difference to your day or how you feel, then you are no supporter at all.

Both Arsenal and Spurs have the bulk of their supposed 'supporters' who fall easily into these categories.

Very hard to gauge the numbers then unless your Carol Vorderman lolUOTE="EssexRangers, post: 5467949, member: 13727"]
OK

[/QUOTE]

A 'supporter' who has, and will never, put a penny into the club is no supporter at all.
If you have never even seen 'your' club playing, then you are not a supporter at all.
If 'your' team being beaten makes no difference to your day or how you feel, then you are no supporter at all.

Both Arsenal and Spurs have the bulk of their supposed 'supporters' who fall easily into these categories.
[/QUOTE]
Ve

to be fair there is a couple of generations now who think The EPL is the be all and end all in football. Scottish Football is better than many give it credit for. Our big two teams have punched above weight for a while considering the huge gap in finance over the bigger leagues

Agree with you there but the English generally see it as comparable to League 2.

I think the point about away fans is very important, I can’t think of many club side who will have as big an away following as Rangers have

IMO a section of our European away support comes from English based clubs who never play in Europe but Rangers are their Scottish Club.
I know this may not sit well with some but it was something I observed during my frequent trips abroad.
They get tickets while over there.

At a friendly or testimonial in a shitkicking town like Barrow in Furness in 1994 we took thousands down. A local told me that Man United visited in pre season and won 1-0 with a Roy Keane goal, but they had nowhere near our numbers.

IMO a section of our European away support comes from English based clubs who never play in Europe but Rangers are their Scottish Club.
I know this may not sit well with some but it was something I observed during my frequent trips abroad.
Not sure I agree with that mate

Tbf to the English guys, its not just away euro games they go to. See quite a few at most games

Back