How big are Rangers in the UK?

you see the videos of the young lad that tours the ground with his father, Thogden or something is his user name on YouTube, that lad is mesmerised by Rangers and Ibrox.
How often do you hear someone mention the sheer noise of the place as well as the way the stadium jumps when it’s in full bouncy mode

Here’s the one he did for Rangers V Braga last week.

In a numbers sense, we're massive. We have supporters clubs and fans coming up from all over England, people who make it all the way from the south of England.

Yep, undoubtedly true. But the English generally don't seem to particularly care about that due to their perception of the standard of Scottish football (in my experience at least).
That’s correct but there are massive teams that play in smaller leagues doesn’t make their club any less ‘big’ - the amount of football tourism and plastic fans in the EPL overstates these clubs appeal - Ibrox and Celtic park both have infinitely better atmospheres than anywhere in England - Anfield and Old Trafford are myths build up by the media.

Massive. That's why they don't won't us or them. Both would be top 5 within matter of years and would blow the likes of Chelsea, City, Arsenal and Spurs out the water. Would eventually both be in top 8 clubs in the world.
Never gonna happen though.

Before sky killed our gan
I also live in England so I've ended up talking about it with the locals on a number of occasions. When I say I support Rangers they'll take a bit of interest but it's more around the Old Firm. I can't stress enough just how unseriously the English take Scottish football. Say something like Rangers have won more leagues than any other club and they'll laugh it off and say, "Yeah but in a shit league" or something to that effect.
Before sky killed our game up here we regularly beat England's top teams mate.
This is new generation bullshit.

Depends if you mean football clubs or brands.

I’m sorry but despite Man Uniteds rich history they’re a brand now. A tourist trap. We’re a football club and a way of life for many people. We pack out stadiums home and away without the poison of Sky TV money.

Liverpool probably bigger than us and the filth. possibly arsenal as well but that’s it.

Not saying your argument is incorrect, but its not like everyone in London is a football fan. I couldn't/cant believe how many of my colleagues down south couldn't care about football.

London has the lowest percentage, per head of population, of people who actually go to professional football matches, out of all the cities in the UK.

It's really dependent on what point in history you look at it. For decades, no football club in the world could match our attendances. For the last 20 years we have been constrained by stadium size, as have a few clubs down South.

For me, it takes something like Manchester to show just how big a club can be. As well as the supporters in Manchester, Blackpool and surrounding, and a packed Ibrox on the night, hundreds of pubs around Scotland and beyond were ticket only to watch the game and of course many watched at home on TV. Rangers pubs in holiday spots were heaving. The scale of that has never been matched and probably won't be again.

I also live in England so I've ended up talking about it with the locals on a number of occasions. When I say I support Rangers they'll take a bit of interest but it's more around the Old Firm. I can't stress enough just how unseriously the English take Scottish football. Say something like Rangers have won more leagues than any other club and they'll laugh it off and say, "Yeah but in a shit league" or something to that effect.
Completely agree. In England people really dont care and have no respect for any scottish team. Shit leahue, shit teams seems to be the general opinion

when I was young I’m sure it was always Man U, Liverpool, Rangers, Celtic, Arsenal, Leeds that we’re considered to be the historically big clubs

Just remember that the old firm teams tended to have some if the largest crowds in the who of the UK and Scotland has always punched above its size in regards people attending footbal. It’s games in Scotland that hold the British records to this day.

I still maintain if Rangers and Celtic played against better opponents week I week out say in the EPL the demand for tickets would be huge, you would perhaps have to add another 10,000 or more seats on to both grounds.

Rangers as still a massive name. Wasn’t it said that the 2008 UEFA cup final was thought to be the biggest mass movement of people since WW2.

it’s one thing they always seem to skirt round when talking about joining the EPL, it’s not how good the clubs are now it’s the potential and easily with the increase in revenue Rangers would be one if the top 3 epl clubs as we would have that fanbase to warrant expansion.

Leeds aren't a big club, that's just a myth. Maybe 4 or 5 major trophies in their entire history, spent more time outside the top division than in it and have never averaged over 40k in a season before.

Historically, we're probably still behind Man U and Liverpool.

Always find it funny how Scottish football is dismissed as a pub league from down south from folk that have only really known the EPL. Then they actually come up here and are blown away with the intensity of our support - and I'm not talking about YouTube videos.

Always remember talking to a couple on holiday a few years back and during the conversation the football came up. Guy was quite pleased to hear we were Rangers and that point he just turned to his wife and said "if you think Man United and Liverpool is a big rivalry then wait to you see Rangers and Celtc"

Felt a wee bit proud after that tbh :))
*obviously not the association with them part though..

Completely agree. In England people really dont care and have no respect for any scottish team. Shit leahue, shit teams seems to be the general opinion

Lived in the East London/Essex area for over thirty years.

Your statement is certainly true of some people but definitely not true of them all.

Maybe it's me, but I couldn't give a f#ck what English folk think. I stroll about on holiday with my Gers shirts on, and I know we're up there with the best. 50,000 at a bottom tier league game? Come back to me, Nigel, when you can match that...

Much bigger than a lot of English realise. We were arguably the biggest club in the country in the early 90's before Sky. Old trafford was still a little dump and we horsed the English champions twice on our way to the Champions league. Chelsea/City etc were minnows compared to us. I'm not sure if this is something they've forgotten or chose to ignore.

you see the videos of the young lad that tours the ground with his father, Thogden or something is his user name on YouTube, that lad is mesmerised by Rangers and Ibrox.
How often do you hear someone mention the sheer noise of the place as well as the way the stadium jumps when it’s in full bouncy mode

The noise at the 3rd goal against Braga nearly broke his phone it was that loud.

In terms of exposure, English media outlets (including the biggest channels -- on television, radio and in print) regularly report on Rangers' results and activities.

Despite the explosion of finance in the EPL, I am very sure that Rangers are still regarded as one of the biggest and most prestigious clubs in the UK.

One day, it is my hope that Rangers have access to the EPL, but that could be some time away. For me, Rangers are "massive" now, but would be "ridiculously massive" if that happened.

Last edited:
Lived in the East London/Essex area for over thirty years.

Your statement is certainly true of some people but definitely not true of them all.
Yes true, i live on the south coast now and the majority here think that way. At least the ones i speak to. They are complimentary but i think thats more so they do not appear rude but they dont really care

Yes true, i live on the south coast now and the majority here think that way. At least the ones i speak to. They are complimentary but i think thats more so they do not appear rude but they dont really care

Yes, there‘s definitely an element of that!

I have mates that support the various London teams and they all have Rangers leanings and that was before I knew many of them.

Im involved in grassroots football and I’m always ‘pushing the good word!’

In fact a couple of the u13 boys that I coach were up with their dads for the Braga game last week, it was their first time at Ibrox. They were absolutely blown away by the experience, hooked for life now. They are Spurs and West Ham fans.

Working in England ive been stopped all day long

Out of the Arsenal, Wolves and Man Utd fans it's Wolves who fancy us in the next round

We are a Huge club in a shitty league always been the opinion of the English IMO

Who cares about who they watch on the telly in Asia? The EPL is full of tourist fans. Show me a bigger or better home, away & European support than ours?? There's your answer.

Down jn England just now for work and found a quiet wee pub showing the game and thought I'd keep myself to myself. Sure enough come the 2nd half a rangers fan who'd just fi ished work showed up to watch it.

This has happened countless times I've came down south. We've many fans across many towns in England, and usually locals who realise I'm a rangers fan have good things to say.

I'm always surprised by the level of interest and support in us outside of Scotland.
Was it O’neill’s off oxford street in London? If so then that would be me.

The Glassy Bus 5 Lisbon to Braga had 10% Bears & Orangemen from Manchester Province...
3 English
1 Scottish
1 Ulsterman

There are plenty that travel up on the West Coast line to all home games.

NS ;)

I think the point about away fans is very important, I can’t think of many club side who will have as big an away following as Rangers have
Still the biggest travelling support ever to attend a Champions League group match at the Nou Camp.
Interesting point on that, when Rangers played the Cup Winners Cup final there in 72 you could fly from Glasgow and have a match ticket package for under £40.

Possibly top 5.. i think we are many english lads 2nd team.. but not there 1st
1-liverpool
2-man utd
3-arsenal
4-Rangers
5- celtic
6-aston villa

I guess it depends on what factors you use to determine 'Big' ??

Most European trophies won ?
Most league titles won ?
Most domestic cups won ?
Overall squad value ?
Biggest financial turnover ?
Most cash in the bank ?
Most season ticket holders ?
Highest average crowds over a season ?
Most fans across the globe ?

It's a hard one to answer unless you define the perameters.

Man Utd are a bigger team than Liverpool
Rangers are bigger than Liverpool.
Celtic are bigger than Liverpool
Always was - always will be. Only ManUre can compare with Rangers as a British or global phenomenon.

It's really dependent on what point in history you look at it. For decades, no football club in the world could match our attendances. For the last 20 years we have been constrained by stadium size, as have a few clubs down South.

For me, it takes something like Manchester to show just how big a club can be. As well as the supporters in Manchester, Blackpool and surrounding, and a packed Ibrox on the night, hundreds of pubs around Scotland and beyond were ticket only to watch the game and of course many watched at home on TV. Rangers pubs in holiday spots were heaving. The scale of that has never been matched and probably won't be again.
Dunno mate...another 3 ties ;)

Massive. Look at the amount of fans that travel to see our club, no other team in the uk does that. I think theres increased attention on us now that SG is the gaffer

Got into a discussion with a few of my mates as I live in England, how big do you think we are in U.K. terms? I’ve always considered the biggest to be United and Liverpool (Liverpool atm) then the old firm teams then Arsenal Chels etc. But don’t know for a fact. Of course the english teams have massive following in Asia etc but I reckon we have more UK based fans than Arsenal for example (season tickets a pointer), was wondering if anyone could tell us how many fans we have in Britain.
Man Utd, Rangers, Liverpool then Arsenal.

Arsenal have more fans than us in the UK mate. The population of London is 8 million. Arsenal are the biggest supported club in the south.
The population of Scotland is 5 million
Have to disagree! Arsenal are massive, 8 million people in London are not all interested in football.Arsenal,Tottenham,Chelsea,West Ham,Crystal Palace,Fulham,Millwall,QPR and Charlton all have fans from London.

when I was young I’m sure it was always Man U, Liverpool, Rangers, Celtic, Arsenal, Leeds that we’re considered to be the historically big clubs

Just remember that the old firm teams tended to have some if the largest crowds in the who of the UK and Scotland has always punched above its size in regards people attending footbal. It’s games in Scotland that hold the British records to this day.

I still maintain if Rangers and Celtic played against better opponents week I week out say in the EPL the demand for tickets would be huge, you would perhaps have to add another 10,000 or more seats on to both grounds.

Rangers as still a massive name. Wasn’t it said that the 2008 UEFA cup final was thought to be the biggest mass movement of people since WW2.

it’s one thing they always seem to skirt round when talking about joining the EPL, it’s not how good the clubs are now it’s the potential and easily with the increase in revenue Rangers would be one if the top 3 epl clubs as we would have that fanbase to warrant expansion.
Biggest amount of fans that travelled for one match.

Just to show how we are disregarded by the BBC, here's the BBC football website around 4 hours after yesterday's match. Zero mention of the win. But one of England's women has an injury.

Back