How can Celtic buy a player from a Russian Club at this time?

Never heard of the player but I am surprised this is allowed on two fronts. I thought there would be an embargo on any money going to Russia, strange. They are obviously taking an advantage of Russian Clubs needing money, smelling a cut price deal.

Even stranger in 1968 Bob Kelly the then Celtic Chairman refused to let Celtic play an Eastern European team in the old European Cup because of Russia invading Czechoslovakia. The draw was redrawn because of this.

So now to hear that the current Celtic board deem it ok to do business with a Russian club with the Putin invasion of Ukraine flies in the face of their stance in 1968.

Funny that!
They ducked out of the 1968 draw because they had a tough tie - Ujpest Dosza or Ferenvaros.

Celtic always look for an alternative route to winning.

Thankfully AC Milan beat them at Parkhead to put them out.

Not for Celtic .

A club that thinks nothing of covering up child sex abuse and pretending their boys club is nothing to do with them , but moralises over our previous financial problems

Buying from Russian clubs is small fry
This is a club that on a weekly basis shows it’s support for illegal terrorist groups. They will have no qualms about dealing with a side in a country that’s government is murdering innocent children.

In all fairness, the guy doesn't really deserve to be cut off because he is Russian. I know Russian's who think Putin is an arsehole and the war is absolutely wrong. That said, he's signing for Celtic so is probably a c**t and supports killing of innocent people - just to jump to conclusions. If he doesn't, he soon will.

Sellik have previous, who can forget their minutes applause for the Donetsk miners who slowly suffocated to death.

A club like no other.

They are definitely a club like no other…We are hosting a young girl from Ukraine,taking her out of her war torn country which has been illegally invaded by Russia.They sign a Russian player while others in Scotland try to help Ukrainian people.I really do wish they would just take their tri-colour and f… off back to Ireland.

In all fairness, the guy doesn't really deserve to be cut off because he is Russian. I know Russian's who think Putin is an arsehole and the war is absolutely wrong. That said, he's signing for Celtic so is probably a c**t and supports killing of innocent people - just to jump to conclusions. If he doesn't, he soon will.

He's....Montenegrin.

I don't know anything about the player or what club he plays for.

But all of that is irrelevant and this is clearly being used by celtic to try and fund the Putin war machine and massacre innocent Ukranians. They should be thrown out of the champions league in disgrace.
All I know is he went back to norkopping for a couple of months and done %^*& all

So the club that was a haven for paedos now funds Putin’s slaughter in Ukraine. How very them.
Russia makes billions from all over Europe each day on gas pipelines alone. I don’t think a few million on a winger is going to make much difference.

If Celtic are playing within the rules then that’s why they’re there. Would you have had an objection to us signing Rabbi Matondo if he came from Zenit and not Schalke?

Russia makes billions from all over Europe each day on gas pipelines alone. I don’t think a few million on a winger is going to make much difference.

If Celtic are playing within the rules then that’s why they’re there. Would you have had an objection to us signing Rabbi Matondo if he came from Zenit and not Schalke?

Yes, I would. it’s morally wrong. There should be no interaction with Russian clubs while the war goes on imo.

Nothing would surprise me about that dirty paedo terrorist club in the east end. As others have said, they have absolutely no morals or principals whatsoever. Not surprised in the least about this transfer as it smells rotten to the core and we all know that they love the getting out their biscuit tin as exemplified in their sordid stain history so no one should be surprised about this!

Never heard of the player but I am surprised this is allowed on two fronts. I thought there would be an embargo on any money going to Russia, strange. They are obviously taking an advantage of Russian Clubs needing money, smelling a cut price deal.

Even stranger in 1968 Bob Kelly the then Celtic Chairman refused to let Celtic play an Eastern European team in the old European Cup because of Russia invading Czechoslovakia. The draw was redrawn because of this.

So now to hear that the current Celtic board deem it ok to do business with a Russian club with the Putin invasion of Ukraine flies in the face of their stance in 1968.

Funny that!

They're a different club. Pacific Shelf.

No he isn’t…

The Russian still owed money on the £6 million they bought him for. I understand it that the filth are paying the club the Russians bought him for the balance of the initial transfer fee.

So they aren’t paying the Russians directly just the balance of the original transfer fee outstanding.

The poster you’ve quoted was talking about Botheim, the player we were linked with in the Summer not the guy they’ve just signed.

Na, I don’t know why I’m getting involved either.

They ducked out of the 1968 draw because they had a tough tie - Ujpest Dosza or Ferenvaros.

Celtic always look for an alternative route to winning.

Thankfully AC Milan beat them at Parkhead to put them out.
Don’t you know they stand by the oppressed all over the world, they’ve recently brought the Ukraine into their family of oppressed,

Oh wait…….

Don’t you know they stand by the oppressed all over the world, they’ve recently brought the Ukraine into their family of oppressed,

Oh wait…….

Exactly. Whilst they objected to the Soviet Union and eastern bloc countries invading Czechoslovakia, they had no qualms about touring the US in 1968. The US was bombing the hell out of Vietnam at the time.

This thread would be full of folk saying we had “saved a Montenegrin from Russia” if it was us. The hypocrisy you see on here is a bit cringe.

You seem very defensive of them here.
Not of them, but of the idea of stranding 100s of players in limbo in a country and league they don’t want to be in.

If the authorities/FIFA put mitigations in place for the transfer fees to be used for certain purposes I.e. paying off fees to other clubs, money in escrow etc. then it finds a solution to a problem. Football clubs have done it for years, picked the bones of clubs who found themselves in bother. Look at us when we went to the third div.

I love a Celtic bashing thread as much as the next person, but plenty of other clubs have bought players from there and I wouldn’t be against us doing it as long as the rules for where the money goes are in place.

Back