How can SG pick Flanagan over Patterson on Sunday???

Flanagan has experience in big games. Patterson will get his chance just be patient. I wonder if all these fans calling for him to start would be the first to get on his back if it doesn't work straight away

Reactions: TN8
Flanagan doesn't give us the same attacking options as Tav but from what I saw of Patterson against Stranraer, he is obviously a kid who is still improving - he is by no means the finished article.

First and foremost, on Sunday, I want an experienced defender in there. Hearts are a step up from Stranraer and that's why I think SG preferred Flanagan tonight, as he will on Sunday.

Let Flanagan do the defending and put the responsibility onto our midfield to break down Hearts - Tav has been vilified in the past (and I've been one of them) for not doing his primary role.

If Patterson played and made a mistake which caused a goal it would knock his confidence for six.
We'd also get the outcry on here that why did the manger play a young inexperienced defender when he had Flanagan available.

In any event, I'll trust SG's selection - he's forgotten more about more about football than I've ever known!

Last edited:
All that said, Hearts will want to get physical on Sunday with us and it may well be a game that suits Flano better.
This is the crux of the matter for me. Hearts will make it a dogfight, they are struggling and will scrap for everything.

Flanagan is better suited physically to play on Sunday.

Patterson’s time will surely come, but the clamour for him to play off the back of two games, one a friendly and the other a lower league team is over the top.

This game, at this time of this season is not the time for him.

Give me one thing that Flanagan will do better that Patterson ???

Our manager must look at Frimpong and Hicky , 2 young full backs doing a job.

why not our promising full back who’s style is the same as tavs... a style that helps our front 3 with the balance of our team

we need to win on Sunday.,,, Patterson is better , more attacking and more likely to create than Flanagan

the last 2 performances show the above quite clearly
Don’t know if anyone’s said it already because I can’t be arsed scrolling through over 100 replies but the boy Hickey is pish. Completely overhyped by the media, looks shattered in every game he plays too.

Our fans absolutely bewilder me sometimes. Let’s just accept that Gerrard, McAllister, Beale, Culshaw and Wilson know a lot more about how to run a football team than we do and let’s support them and trust them to do so.

He probably expected us to be winning comfortably and could bring him on after ht

Flanagan can take a potential loss and points dropped and move on

Patterson's confidence would be shattered, first league game he plays we drop points. Even worse if it's his fault

However I would've still played Patterson

Got to go with flannigan at Tynecastle, Patterson could have played tonight but I suppose it gets minutes in the legs of JF before Sundays bigger test

I liked him last season, but we have moved up a level or two since then.
I thought he was poor tonight.
We need to get rid of flanagan, halliday and ojo for a start. That was a weak bench tonight.
Where us greg stewart?
Should be on the bench .

Whether folk like it or not Flanagan is our first choice back up right back and left back. Gerrard has played with him watches him in training and trusts him.

Other than two soft yellows in UFA I can’t think of any time Flanagan has cost us/let us down.

Greg Stewart is still feeling a tight calf but for some strange reason isn’t fancied much by Gerrard.

Flanagan is a full back who defends but he gets up the park more than folk realise and is a far better passer of the ball than he is given credit for. We lose goals from Tav being too far up the park trying to create and it’s a criticism, we don’t concede because Flanagan defends more than he attacks and he gets criticised.

We never created anything tonight because our forward thinking players

Kamara Davis Jack
Aribo Defoe Kent

Who are paid to create created nothing. Not because Flanagan was helping ensure we kept another clean sheet.

Whether folk like it or not Flanagan is our first choice back up right back and left back. Gerrard has played with him watches him in training and trusts him.

Other than two soft yellows in UFA I can’t think of any time Flanagan has cost us/let us down.

Greg Stewart is still feeling a tight calf but for some strange reason isn’t fancied much by Gerrard.

Flanagan is a full back who defends but he gets up the park more than folk realise and is a far better passer of the ball than he is given credit for. We lose goals from Tav being too far up the park trying to create and it’s a criticism, we don’t concede because Flanagan defends more than he attacks and he gets criticised.

We never created anything tonight because our forward thinking players

Kamara Davis Jack
Aribo Defoe Kent

Who are paid to create created nothing. Not because Flanagan was helping ensure we kept another clean sheet.
Bored to tears tonight.
Only plus was the traffic was kind to me.

I would stick with Flanagan on Sunday for his experience and better defensive qualities. Hearts away is not the game to blood Patterson.

Flanagan was the logical choice, to get him some game time. You have to assume he will play on Sunday, ahead of Patterson; I doubt we go with the kid at Tynecastle.

Decent enough game defensively, although I was a little nervous with the number of fouls he was racking up early. Going forward, the quality of ball he was trying to put in was simply not good enough. I don't think he found a man all night. Disappointing performance but hopefully he has blown away a few cobwebs.

Typical excuses on here again. "Its a tough game up Aberdeen." "Not the right time to test someone against Hibs/Hearts". "He needs more minutes under his belt on loan somewhere".

So how is a young player going to get games at Rangers if not at home against St.Mirren?

Typical excuses on here again. "Its a tough game up Aberdeen." "Not the right time to test someone against Hibs/Hearts". "He needs more minutes under his belt on loan somewhere".

So how is a young player going to get games at Rangers if not at home against St.Mirren?
If Tav was suspended or rested tonight, but was playing on Sunday, yes give the lad a run

But, if the manager has decided Flanagan plays on Sunday, Flanagan has to get game time tonight. Tynecastle 9 times out of ten is a kicking match, not the time for what would be his 3rd game.

If Tav was suspended or rested tonight, but was playing on Sunday, yes give the lad a run

But, if the manager has decided Flanagan plays on Sunday, Flanagan has to get game time tonight. Tynecastle 9 times out of ten is a kicking match, not the time for what would be his 3rd game.

Why not? When did Messi or Ronaldo have their third game? Some players even make their debut in the Champions League ffs. Look what Klopp does when he rests his top players. I know its hard to compare a world class talent with someone at Rangers, but i can not understand why people think that players need a full season at some shite club in a shite league somewhere before they can even be thought of playing against another shite SPL like Hearts or St.Mirren.

Why not? When did Messi or Ronaldo have their third game? Some players even make their debut in the Champions League ffs. Look what Klopp does when he rests his top players. I know its hard to compare a world class talent with someone at Rangers, but i can not understand why people think that players need a full season at some shite club in a shite league somewhere before they can even be thought of playing against another shite SPL like Hearts or St.Mirren.

Because the manager is judged on results. We are far more likely not to concede with Flanagan playing as a defensive right back than throwing Patterson in. It’s much harder to throw a defensive player in hoping he fits in and doesn’t make a mistake.

If we don’t concede, chances are we win. Patterson could come in and play like Gary Stevens, but if we lose 1-0 it will be forgotten.

It does leave us a bit lopsided as far as attacking options go, but that can be overcome.

I think that's a valid question. In the past tonight's game would have been ideal. However, pitching kids in against 2 blocks of 5 and 4 in def and midfield and asking the kids (in this case Patterson) to open them up is difficult. I don't know the answer to the "what kind of game to introduce the youngsters in", to be honest.

Strikes me that there aren't many games in this league where we get a 'normal' game of football, with 2 sides taking the game to each other. The negativity of teams coming to Ibrox, plastic pitches away, teams of thugs (Aberdeen, Hibs), teams that want to just 'kill' the game/flow (Livingston/Motherwell). The league is a joke.

I think the answer is to get them on loan to play proper football then get them back when they have developed. This league will teach them very little.

You would have to assume that Flannagan was always the managers choice for the Hearts game. As ideal as it would have been to give the kid another chance last night, he obviously just decided to give Flannagan the opportunity to get back up to speed. He has never looked great in one off sporadic appearances, needs a run of games.

SG previously spoke about McCrorie and other young players being damaged when thrown in too early.

It's all good in theory to give them a game but what happens if the lad makes an error in what was a nervy last 10 minutes this evening.

Ultimately if he's good enough and has the right attitude, he'll play.

No point rushing him into it, plenty of years ahead. Flanagan needs game time too as our main cover at right back

Ive no issue playing Flanagan.
But without Tav we miss a lot if attacking options.
The sooner Tav is back the better.

why not our promising full back who’s style is the same as tavs... a style that helps our front 3 with the balance of our team

we need to win on Sunday.,,, Patterson is better , more attacking and more likely to create than Flanagan

We are going to tynecastle need experience at the back yes Patterson time will come but not on Sunday

WATP

Flanagan didn't let us down tonight, carried out his defensive duties, let them know he was there and made some accurate telling passes he did nothing to warrant losing that shirt to anyone but Tav.

Good to see the lurkers have such admiration for Patterson same as the rest of us. Some of you diddies and Scum do know class when you see it.

Sorry - using frimpong as an example? Do you watch sellick games? Positionally woeful and can’t cross the ball.

stop listening the MSM - they know next to nothing about football.

The gaffers probably thinking it doesn’t really matter who he plays seeing as our supporters abandon the team on nights like tonight anyway. Why should he give a %^*& what the opinions of a support who can’t even stay for 90 minutes in a crucial game in a title race we all CLAIM to want so much.

SG is the manager and he picks the team
we can argue all day the team we would play but
the management team see them train every day so
i'd say he knows better than us who plays.

and yes i would like to see young players break through more often

I don't mind Flanagan,good solid defender,Patterson offers more going forward and will probably be tavs long term replacement,flanny will be fine at tynecastle

Flanagan needed the St mirren game. He hasn't played first team football for a long time. The 90 minutes will have helped him. It's easy to see what we lose in terms of going forward with Flanagan compared to Tavernier. However, imo we need Flanagan as a defender on Sunday more than what we need from Patterson going forward. Patterson may be an excellent defender but I've personally not seen him enough to know and he didn't have the opportunity to show this against Stranraer.

Got to laugh at people wanting to throw a young boy who has played played 1 first team game against Stranraer in against Hearts at Tynecastle.

We are absolute idiots as fans. A lot of people seem to have decided Patterson is great after only one game but want Flannagan dropped because of one game performance.

Flanagan amongst the support for being a good, solid defender.

This is purely based on the fact that he offers nothing in an attacking sense as opposed to genuinely being a good defender.

He is rash, constantly out of position, doesn’t read the game well and has no pace.

He’s really not a good footballer at all.

No excuse for not playing Patterson tonight. If we can’t give these kids a chance against St Mirren at home when our first pick is unavailable, we never will. No better time to give him a run than now.

Yes these are big games. Yes we are going for a title. But when are we not playing big games or going for titles? There’s never going to be a scenario where we have an endless run of meaningless games. You either make giving these kids game time part of your policy as a club or we continue to have very limited involvement fromthe academy at first team level.

Our recent record on this is pathetic. Last night was a missed opportunity.

Flanagan wasn't the problem last night.

He can defend, he can hold up the opposition, sense danger and he can retain possession.

Hickey is a shite example as he's been destroyed any time we've played Hearts.

It's not Flanagan's fault the midfield were flat, one paced and sloppy. The long over hit diagonal balls out the Flanagan were awful last night. The majority were over hit and ran out the park.

I’m thinking back to Gerrard’s conments about Pedro potentially ruining McCrorie’s career playing him too much and placing him in situations where he can be blamed for defeats / dropped points. Think he is trying to manage Patterson in that way - give him some game time but not over expose him.

No excuse for not playing Patterson tonight. If we can’t give these kids a chance against St Mirren at home when our first pick is unavailable, we never will. No better time to give him a run than now.

Yes these are big games. Yes we are going for a title. But when are we not playing big games or going for titles? There’s never going to be a scenario where we have an endless run of meaningless games. You either make giving these kids game time part of your policy as a club or we continue to have very limited involvement fromthe academy at first team level.

Our recent record on this is pathetic. Last night was a missed opportunity.
No it wasn’t

Back