How can SG pick Flanagan over Patterson on Sunday???

Is Polster done then or is he not really a Right Back? He's looked solid enough in the few (albeit short) appearances he's made.

Whats extreme about it? its a fact
He didn’t play his first away game in a high pressure match in a title race. Over the next season Patterson will get games. For sure. But they need to be chosen wisely. That is common sense. What you propose would be idiotic.

Flannagan has more experience, is a good defender and more physical for what will be a tough away match.

Patterson wasn't tested against Stranraer and would have been same last night,totally different going to tynecastle that's why I think he gave Flannagan game time before Sunday

I know it's a cliche, but Gerrard sees the players in training every day and knows all the players abilities and whether that player is suitable for a particular game or not.

From the purely physical, defensive point of view it has to be Flannigan. As said offers nothing going forward but is steady enough defensively. Last night confirms how much Tav brings to the team.

Got to trust the gaffer, but for me personally i would have tried patterson last night, then utilised flanno away from home.

Give me one thing that Flanagan will do better that Patterson ???

Our manager must look at Frimpong and Hicky , 2 young full backs doing a job.

why not our promising full back who’s style is the same as tavs... a style that helps our front 3 with the balance of our team

we need to win on Sunday.,,, Patterson is better , more attacking and more likely to create than Flanagan

the last 2 performances show the above quite clearly
Spot on. Last night was dreadful,.worst under Gerrard. The one time Flanno tried to run with the ball he fell over and gave away possession. Hes a great defender but offers zero going forward and every team.knows he will turn the ball back.
Patterson wont be ruined. Play him!

Fed up of the downplaying if Frimping. As much as it pains me to say it the boy is a talent. Blue tinted specs off for a second. Probably the dhims best player

The boy’s 19 or something he’s still very raw. All you have to do is go on the mentally challengeds forum and see them all wanting elhamed back in defence because of frimpongs defensive errors. Take your green tinted specs of because you are praising him more than they are

Your not going to start Patterson away at Tynecastle in a must win match, therefore Flanagan was the right choice last night.

No point in playing Patterson last night then changing it again on Sunday.

Flanagan will be getting it tight because he's not an attack minded full back. Others have to step up when Tavernier and Morelos are out - mainly Aribo, Kent and the midfield trio.

Last edited:
thats nonsense, he is not great going forward but he solid enough at the back!!

more of an old school defender

i’m not a huge fan but as a back-up fullback, he is fine
I don't think he's a good defender either. I've nothing against him I just don't rate him at all. My heart is in my mouth every time he's involved.

The disrespect shown to Flanno sometimes is staggering.

I think he's a great defender, someone you can definitely rely on to be solid and dependable. He's a superior defender to both Tav and Patterson (not saying he's a better overall player).

Patterson will get his opportunities, gradually. We're knee deep in a title race and now is not the time for taking risks.

I think he's a great defender, someone you can definitely rely on to be solid and dependable. He's a superior defender to both Tav and Patterson (not saying he's a better overall player).

Patterson will get his opportunities, gradually. We're knee deep in a title race and now is not the time for taking risks.
He is not a superior defender to Tav. Absolutely not.

I knew after Stranraer that Flanno would start these games.
Was going to post on here but just couldn't be arsed listening to the greif I'd have got.
Patterson is a great prospect but it's very clear Stranraer felt they should let him have time on the ball and double up and stay tight to other players.
This changed second half and the lad had less time on the ball.
He had one bit of defending to do and got suckered into a booking.

So, do you then play him in the first league game in over 3 weeks?
Do you send him out at Tynecastle?
I wouldn't. And our manager agrees.

He is not a superior defender to Tav. Absolutely not.

In your opinion. I think he is. We all know Tav's qualities, defending is one of his weaker traits. He's had a few howlers just this season.

He's still my first pick, obviously. But JF is a good solid reliable defender who deserves a bit more acknowledgement on here.

Patterson had a good game against Stranraer but he showed his lack of experience on a few occassions - mainly when trying to see the ball out for a goal kick and the Stranraer player robbed him of possession. Flanagan would have dealt with that. Before any one gets their panties in a twist, that's not criticising Patterson or saying he will never make it. It's highlighting these areas where we could be punished.

Flanagan won numerous challenges last night, he haulted a few counter attacks when we lost the ball in attacking areas due to sloppy play. He's not the best but he can defend and retain possession.

He's just not got the legs, pace, directness, touch, finese, ability, delivery... of Tavernier but that's not his fault and the manager has to find other ways of hurting sides.

Patterson had a good game against Stranraer but he showed his lack of experience on a few occassions - mainly when trying to see the ball out for a goal kick and the Stranraer player robbed him of possession. Flanagan would have dealt with that. Before any one gets their panties in a twist, that's not criticising Patterson or saying he will never make it. It's highlighting these areas where we could be punished.

Flanagan won numerous challenges last night, he haulted a few counter attacks when we lost the ball in attacking areas due to sloppy play. He's not the best but he can defend and retain possession.

He's just not got the legs, pace, directness, touch, finese, ability, delivery... of Tavernier but that's not his fault and the manager has to find other ways of hurting sides.
I agree with you.
Oh and this just highlights why I never posted it post Stranraer. The fact that to offer constructive criticism on here you need to spend 5 minutes buttering up everything good a player has ever done can get tiring.

I was easy with Patterson or Flanagan starting. Who ever started last night has to start on Sunday - unless an injury occurred.

Gerrard went with Flanagan. It wasn't Flanagan's fault we were poor, nor did he cost us a goal.

I'd hazard a guess that should we drop points on Sunday, it won't be down to Flanagan either.

Naismith will be drifting out wide on Sunday. I'd prefer experience up against this diving rat.

We need experienced players, hopefully we'll see Patterson getting some game time when possible.
Heard this on the radio on the way in last night. Can't remember who said it, but it was on Clyde discussing our RB slot.

"If you have an experienced seasoned pro, you go with him"

Therein lies,in large part, why Scottish football is and will remain shite.

Experienced at being bang average and providing zip,zada and zilch, going forward.

Our whole attacking ethos is based on the width provided by our full-backs.

If we cannot blood a very promising youngster against St Mirren at Ibrox,it's a bad day.

Disappointed with the selection last night.

why not our promising full back who’s style is the same as tavs... a style that helps our front 3 with the balance of our team

we need to win on Sunday.,,, Patterson is better , more attacking and more likely to create than Flanagan

Hearts will be “physical” or hammer throwing if we don’t want to be polite about it.

Big believer in young players having their eyes opened slowly. Done himself no harm against Stranraer and was my motm but Flanagan can tackle hard. That said he has zero creative input meaning we rely solely on the left flank for creating chances

Erm..... because he’s not a moron?

I wondered why the gaffer played both Jack and Kamara together last night. Then I realised it’s because that side will also start on Sunday.

Flanagan is a solid defensive option.

Patterson looks like a talent for the future but I'm not sure he is as good (yet) as some people are making him out to be.

folk need to settle down about patterson, he had a decent game v stranraer ffs, its not as if we are holding back messi.
I know he is a good prospect coming through, but you cant just throw these young boys in to high pressure games. Hearts will be a high pressure game, and its a potential banana skin for us.
For me flannigan was the right call. V stranrear the midfield and RM helped to cover patterson when he was out of position (it happened a good few times) Maybe he would have offered a more attacking RB role last night, but how many other boys forward runs would have been checked to try and cover him? I am all for young boys being bled into the team, but folk on here make patterson sound like a world beater. Calm down

Solid defensively. Sunday's game will be different to last night. He was playing last night to get game time ahead of Sunday. He won't have to be as attack-minded on Sunday as there will be more space for the likes of Kent. He just needs to be solid defensively.

Flanagan all day long.

If not, sell him and promote Patterson.

You can't have your back up right back overlooked for a youngster.

Of course we really miss Tav. Patterson would have been a risk for me last night. JF was at the least a 6/10 last night and given how much game time he has he done enough to start against Hearts. He is a fierce defender another game equals more confidence from him in his attacking/crossing. I understood the low crosses were for Defoe, just were not good enough unfortunately.

thought flanno was solid last night not alot going forward but thats to be expected cant see him not playing sunday

Genuinely can't believe some of the stuff I'm reading on this thread. You'd think Patterson had played against Porto and played like Cafu. It was Stranraer, and he played well.

I've no idea why people seem to be so surprised or outraged about Flanagan starting big games as our back up RB. I can only assume it's the usual FIFA/FM players.

No need to take the risk. Also you’d be as good as admitting Flanagan’s career is done at Rangers if you did that. JF will have to play against Hearts so it’s understandable they’d want him back in the team today. Patterson’s. chance will come, but it’s a bit early in my view, especially this season. Hickey has been ropey for hearts and JF looks a decent player to be fair but he’s playing without any real pressure.

Our clear goal is to win the league this year. We are all desperate for success

I thought Patterson would play v St Mirren but away to Hearts it may have been too much pressure on the young lad so management team decided to go with Flanagan to get him some game time before a really tough away fixture on Sunday

Hearts away is never easy and I just hope we can keep up the winning run

I don’t care who plays or how we play

Getting the 3 points every game is the target.

Yes Patterson did well v Stranraer but we have to keep winning and Flanagan has more experience and defensively is solid hence why we chose Flanagan to start last night

Flanagan was always going to play against Hearts so it makes sense that he got gametime last night even though Patterson would have offered more going forward

If anything, Patterson should have started last night and Flanagan on Sunday. Last night we needed attacking full-backs to break them down. We're far more likely to need to do some defending on Sunday.

Hicky has been an absolute bomb scare and indeed has sold goals against us and looked so far out of his depth and scared in possession it is like watching a wee boy go up against men.
Frimpong has looked Ok, but again, 2 goals from our left vs him, he gave away a pen and was sent off in the final, hardly setting the heather on fire either of them.

Gerrard will put out the team he thinks will win the game, it is an away game at a tough venue, we need to be sound defensively (which Flanagan is) first and foremost.

Flanagan or Paterson isn't going to be the reason we win or lose this game, I will trust the manager.

Granted Flanagan is not a modern fullback but he’s got experience at a high level

Im not sure if you are aware but we have a title to win and the development of one youngster over that pales in importance

It’s simple he chose experience over talent

Can you imagine if Patterson were to have cost an equalizing goal.....Gerrard and him would have been slaughtered and it could potentially set the boy back a year or 2

This was wise sensible management imo

Flanagan is a good solid defender. Now’s not quite the time to test young guys like Patterson, if he made a mistake etc I could wreck his confidence

I agree about protecting youth but there is an argument that they have to play some time and when are we ever not under pressure?

Flanagan has huge amounts of questions around his play. He can tackle well. He is solid and can have the nasty streak that benefits defenders.

However, even defensively, he has drawbacks. In games where we are under sustained attack (which happens increasingly rarely) he is at his most effective as a pure defender but his chronic lack of pace, touch or passing ability mean that he regularly just gives the ball straight back to the opposition after winning it. The does little to relieve pressure.

Equally, in games where we have most of the possession, he’s had a bad habit of taking up positions around the half way like, almost trying to show willing in attack though he knows he can’t really do much. That position makes him no good in actually assisting the attack but also leaves him isolated too far forward if the opposition break as his dreadful pace is easily exploited. Tav and Borna have the pace to make it back from offensive positions and, on the rare occasions that they don’t, their attacking contributions outweigh their defensive lapse. But Flanagan can leave himself exposed defensively without offering anything to compensate.

He is a defensive risk. Fortunately we are good enough to usually cope and for others to cover his weaknesses. But I always worry when he plays.

Flanagan is a liability, simple as that.

I'd actually prefer to have Paterson, Polster and even McCrorie there ahead of him.

Accident waiting to happen. Are people forgetting the blunders Flanagan's had and even recently against Aberdeen he cost us.

If we can't trust an academy player to come in and play 2/3 games then we'd be as well scrapping the academy altogether.

Granted Flanagan is not a modern fullback but he’s got experience at a high level

Im not sure if you are aware but we have a title to win and the development of one youngster over that pales in importance

It’s simple he chose experience over talent

Can you imagine if Patterson were to have cost an equalizing goal.....Gerrard and him would have been slaughtered and it could potentially set the boy back a year or 2

This was wise sensible management imo

Senderos also had experience at a high level. Means nothing.

Back