How can SG pick Flanagan over Patterson on Sunday???

If he is/was going to play Patterson v Hearts he would have started last night. Gerrard has went for experience and I can understand that. Whilst I want Patterson to play, maybe he isnt 100% ready as of yet. Gerrard sees him day in day out in training and whilst he looked good against Stranraer, Hearts at Tynecastle is a different ball game.

There is world of difference between playing in a cup tie against a pub team and playing in vital league games. Patterson's career needs to be nurtured, if he plays last night e.g. and makes an error that costs us points, it would be very damaging. If we go a few up in a game like last night then bringing him on he gets the right experiance and grows. Patience needed with promising youngsters.

Flanagan did fine last night IMHO, the fact that he's not in the same bracket as Tav is the reason he's back up and not first pick.

Flanagan is a liability, simple as that.

I'd actually prefer to have Paterson, Polster and even McCrorie there ahead of him.

Accident waiting to happen.

If we can't trust an academy player to come in and play 2/3 games then we'd be as well scrapping the academy altogether.

That's a bit of a drama queen post -scrapping the academy because Patterson never played last night.

Whilst we are the greatest fans in the world, we can also be the worst at times. Some of the abuse that's been dished out to youngsters who have made mistakes is out of order. Middleton who had a great season last season has more or less been written off completely despite probably doing better than what was expected.

Gerrard sees him every day in training so if he has judged it that Flanagan is better surely that's acceptable?

As for Polster - what has he done to suggest he's a better right back? He's mainly came on and played holding midfield but I cant judge him on what i've seen to say he's a better right back. McCrorie is also out on loan and currently injured. He's also not had the greatest of times on loan at Pompey.

Flanagan hit a purple patch at the end of last season, which shows that there is a player there.

Its the right decision to go with experience especially at a place like Hearts.

That's a bit of a drama queen post -scrapping the academy because Patterson never played last night.

Whilst we are the greatest fans in the world, we can also be the worst at times. Some of the abuse that's been dished out to youngsters who have made mistakes is out of order. Middleton who had a great season last season has more or less been written off completely despite probably doing better than what was expected.

Gerrard sees him every day in training so if he has judged it that Flanagan is better surely that's acceptable?

As for Polster - what has he done to suggest he's a better right back? He's mainly came on and played holding midfield but I cant judge him on what i've seen to say he's a better right back. McCrorie is also out on loan and currently injured. He's also not had the greatest of times on loan at Pompey.

Nah what I'm saying is that if our academy players (any of them) can't be trusted to step in and play against St Mirren at Ibrox because 'there's too much at stake' - what's the point in the academy? There'll always be enormous pressure at Rangers. Remember the famous saying down in England about not winning anything with kids? If we can't trust one of our brightest prospects against the dross they'd be better suited finding another club to get games.

My point regarding Flanagan is that he's had countless opportunities and a lot of the time he's a liability who costs goals. He also offers nothing going forward which would've helped us massively against a team who park the bus.

Patterson looked very good against Stranraer, but he wasn't tested defensively.

Much as I would have preferred to see him start last night, it would've been a risk.

Flanagan is fucking dreadful imo. We really need a better option at RB to compete with Tav/fill in when he's injured. Same goes for LB. Punt Halliday, Flanagan and Polster and bring in some upgraded reinforcements.

Last edited:
Patterson looked very good against Stranraer, but he wasn't tested defensively.

Much as I would have preferred to see him start last night, it would've been a risk.

What risk? Last night was the perfect game to introduce him.

XvpZ8Cg.jpg

Teams know Flanagan is a weak link.

Because if you listen to anything that anybody who works with him on a daily basis says, he isn't ready. Rather than going on a training game and a cup win over the team bottom of League One. Gerrard, Murty etc work with him on a constant basis and are in a far better position to judge his suitability.

they knew flannigan was the weak link ,but probably went down that side with patterson there as they know borna was the harder option

Because if you listen to anything that anybody who works with him on a daily basis says, he isn't ready. Rather than going on a training game and a cup win over the team bottom of League One. Gerrard, Murty etc work with him on a constant basis and are in a far better position to judge his suitability.

He's a footballer who is trusted enough to be in the first team squad. He can play against St Mirren or he shouldn't be a Rangers player.

No idea why anyone is defending it tbh. Flanagan will cost us goals if he plays, as we've seen before.

Celtic trust their younger players far more than we do and it pays dividends.

I thought Patterson would start last night & that would have given him a chance to secure a start on Sunday. SG obv going for the safe option

What risk? Last night was the perfect game to introduce him.

XvpZ8Cg.jpg

Teams know Flanagan is a weak link.

The risk that he makes a serious error and then everyone is asking why we've thrown in an unproven player.

I reckon Flannagan is better suited for Hearts on Sunday, and it makes sense to give him minutes before then.

People forget that Flanagan played at the highest level.

You'd think he was Declan John the way that some people go on about him.

I'm no fan of him, but he's a solid 6.5 out of 10 and suited to the likes of Hearts away.

People forget that Flanagan played at the highest level.

You'd think he was Declan John the way that some people go on about him.

I'm no fan of him, but he's a solid 6.5 out of 10 and suited to the likes of Hearts away.

As I said earlier, Senderos also played at the highest level...so what?

Is a 6.5/10 really good enough? Deary me.

As I said earlier, Senderos also played at the highest level...so what?

Is a 6.5/10 really good enough? Deary me.

No, absolutely not good enough.

An ideal world would have sen Patterson starting last night and making it his own and buzzing off the confidence to go to Tynecastle on Sunday.

Instead, we had both Gerrard and Beale both highlight the importance of the fans being behind the team. It's well known how frustrated the crowd get and Goodwin had said already going into the game he was setting up 2 banks of 5.

Like it or not, Flanagan was the safe option last night and it worked for us (result wise at least, felt it pulled Jack so far out of position)

Doesn't stop me being wary of him either!

Tbf if you want Flanagan on Sunday - which I agree with - then you probably had to give him game time against St Mirren
Fair point. How about 60 minutes for Patterson last night giving Flanagan half an hour to prepare for Sunday...;) Hindsight...

Flanagan is NOT a good, solid defender.

He has gained this reputation purely because he contributes nothing going the other way.

He's reckless, always diving in, has poor positional sense, and no pace to recover.

Flanagan was not the problem last night regarding our attacking, it was middle and front that never performed to a higher tempo. Aribo was about the only one who could possibly have created during the game, so I’ll give him pass marks.
As for the midfield they were slow and predictable.

He's a footballer who is trusted enough to be in the first team squad. He can play against St Mirren or he shouldn't be a Rangers player.

No idea why anyone is defending it tbh. Flanagan will cost us goals if he plays, as we've seen before.

Katic has cost us goals. Drop him and promote Rhys Breen. Tavs cost us goals, better not bring him back into the side when he's fit. Barisic has cost us goals, let's play James Maxwell at Tynecastle.

No excuse for not playing Patterson tonight. If we can’t give these kids a chance against St Mirren at home when our first pick is unavailable, we never will. No better time to give him a run than now.

Yes these are big games. Yes we are going for a title. But when are we not playing big games or going for titles? There’s never going to be a scenario where we have an endless run of meaningless games. You either make giving these kids game time part of your policy as a club or we continue to have very limited involvement fromthe academy at first team level.

Our recent record on this is pathetic. Last night was a missed opportunity.

Liverpool, best team in England by a country mile. Winning the league at a canter. How often does Klop throw kids in? Alexander Arnold is a first pick but who else does he throw in? Even when he has injuries or a really busy schedule, what youngsters play? Curtis Jones comes in, plays brilliantly against Everton, scores an absolute worldy, how many games since? None. Their policy is to win. Klopp picks the players who he believes will achieve that. He’s lost zero games and drawn one in the league with that policy. Steven Gerrard appears to be trying a similar approach but has disgracefully lost one and drawn a couple. The gaffer clearly has a long way to go to prove himself to be more knowledgeable than fans who see players once and decide they are world beaters. Maybe he’ll get there one day though eh?

You have to admire Ole at the wheel though eh? Team filled with young players from the academy. They may get their arse skelped by Burnley at home and be a million miles off being a good team but at least everyone can rejoice in the academy success eh? Misty eyed pish. Rangers isn’t a charitable organisation, we’re not here to make dreams come true. Our policy is to win. If young players can help us achieve that then brilliant. If the manager doesn’t think they are ready to help us achieve that then we should accept that they are not ready.

It's a bit of a myth that Flanagan is 'solid defensively'. He got caught out a few times and ended up booked for fouling their left winger too many times. His lack of pace on the turn is an accident waiting to happen (see Kilmarnock last season). He also struggles to keep a defensive line.

He/splayed one game against Stranraer at home and he did look good, but different story away from home against a team fighting for survival

Defensively he was spot on last night. Gerrard is right in picking flano.

I’ve said it before but Patterson needs protection at this age.

Ones an 18yr old learning his trade the other has been over the course before - at tynie we need the latter

Patterson is still young and will benefit being involved in the squad and a couple of lesser games, however this is hearts and they are gonna be strong and dangerous, I think we stick to Flanno for this one, we’re gonna need his strength and experience especially at tyncastle...Patterson’s day will come but just not now, all the experience he’s gaining now will benefit him going forward

As much as i think we should have more in the way of back up to Tav,Flanagan done ok on Wednesday night and deserves to go again versus Hearts on Sunday.

Fairly sure it will be the same eleven for Sunday.

Liverpool, best team in England by a country mile. Winning the league at a canter. How often does Klop throw kids in? Alexander Arnold is a first pick but who else does he throw in? Even when he has injuries or a really busy schedule, what youngsters play? Curtis Jones comes in, plays brilliantly against Everton, scores an absolute worldy, how many games since? None. Their policy is to win. Klopp picks the players who he believes will achieve that. He’s lost zero games and drawn one in the league with that policy. Steven Gerrard appears to be trying a similar approach but has disgracefully lost one and drawn a couple. The gaffer clearly has a long way to go to prove himself to be more knowledgeable than fans who see players once and decide they are world beaters. Maybe he’ll get there one day though eh?

You have to admire Ole at the wheel though eh? Team filled with young players from the academy. They may get their arse skelped by Burnley at home and be a million miles off being a good team but at least everyone can rejoice in the academy success eh? Misty eyed pish. Rangers isn’t a charitable organisation, we’re not here to make dreams come true. Our policy is to win. If young players can help us achieve that then brilliant. If the manager doesn’t think they are ready to help us achieve that then we should accept that they are not ready.

Completely irrelevant comparison. We were at home against St Mirren.

No rush on Patterson.

Flanagan will do a job Sunday, I’d pick him. I’d probably have rather seen Patterson again midweek but understand needing to play Flanagan to get some game time ahead of Sunday

You need A bit of experience and keeping it solid at the back when your missing a couple of your first team. If we had got a few goal cushion on Wednesday he may have come on.

spot on

Katic has cost us goals. Drop him and promote Rhys Breen. Tavs cost us goals, better not bring him back into the side when he's fit. Barisic has cost us goals, let's play James Maxwell at Tynecastle.

The difference being all three of those players offer something positive in the majority of games they play in.

Flanagan doesn't suit our style of play at all.

St Mirren had one shot in target last night. You don’t need to be defensively solid in a game where you will dominate.

As poor as St Mirren were going forward, somehow Flanagan still managed to look poor and ended up getting booked.

All 3 are far superior players to Flanagan, so having small blips can be excused because they more than make up for it. He doesn’t.

It's a bit of a myth that Flanagan is 'solid defensively'. He got caught out a few times and ended up booked for fouling their left winger too many times. His lack of pace on the turn is an accident waiting to happen (see Kilmarnock last season). He also struggles to keep a defensive line.
It is absolutely a myth mate.

Because he is so, so poor with the ball/attacking then folk seem to pretend he is some solid defender. Tav is a better defender but you won’t hear that truth because he doesn’t do “brexit tackles”.

Never seen a solid defender make so many mistakes and get caught out so much when defending is his only job.

Back