How did you really feel when Steven Gerrard was appointed manager?

Tydfo1872

I admit i was very cautious at first as i thought we needed to bring someone in with experience. But i could not be happier with how things have went for us in his short time as manager so far. I feel so confident now that he is the man that will deliver 55 to us all.

I thought he would have to be given money and time (and in that order)
Being able to sign the quality we have is way beyond what I was expecting

Surprised, I had got a text a few days before saying it would be him and thought it was my mate at the wind up. He might well have been on the wind up and has just went along with it being correct :))

Honestly? I was as excited as f*ck running about telling everyone that Stevie G was coming to Ibrox. However, there was also the feeling that it was a massive gamble by the Board (rather than a safer more experienced option) and it smacked of 'last chance saloon'.

I was wrong, Gerrard has changed the whole mood around the Club, he has improved the playing squad enormously and has restored 'credibility' to everything we do. A masterstroke of an appointment in reality - and that applies whether or not it ultimately brings the glory we seek. If Gerrard moves on, or is moved on, we will be in a much, much better place than we were 14 months ago and his successor will have much more to work with. I'm hopeful he will be here for a while yet - learning how to manage his team to multiple successes - before the inevitable call from Liverpool.

Trepidatious given his lack of experience managing, but excited given his reputation and the fact that the name would be a draw to players that the likes of McInnes, Murty, Caixinha etc all didn't have.
I wasn't born when Sounness was appointed (though I'm convinced I'm named after him), but it felt like the same thing - big name player played for Liverpool, coming in without experience but setting things in motion for a decade of dominance.

I admit i was very cautious at first as i thought we needed to bring someone in with experience. But i could not be happier with how things have went for us in his short time as manager so far. I feel so confident now that he is the man that will deliver 55 to us all.

I feel the same as when the magnificent bastard was introduced as our manager in 1986.

Absolutely dumbstruck and starry eyed to begin with then excited with what the future may hold.

I hope Gerrard is even more successful than Souness was before the inevitable pull to Liverpool comes calling.

He’s alongside Barry Ferguson as my football idols. Loved watching him play, the way he led and drove the team on, not always having to scream at players but leading by example. After his coaching with England then Liverpool youth I felt he had some experience so wasn’t thrown in at the deep end so to speak, but was still nervous about it, mainly because I didn’t want him to taint my memory of him as a player (the way in which Ally has for some based purely on football management)

I knew before he came he would get it, he’s from a similar club to ours. One with huge tradition and expectation, a club synonymous with success. He was brought up in that environment and wouldn’t settle for less than 100%. I’m slightly confused why we haven’t tried to take advantage commercially of his profile in Asia, but not sure we have the time for tours etc like Liverpool do. He is huge there though.
What I didn’t expect was how quickly he would take to modernising the club in the background. All in all Gerrard has been massive for the club at a time we needed him.

Being honest, concerned. We had a youth team coach being replaced by another youth team coach albeit one with a name.

I remember on here or the old board someone put forward a managerial duo of Murty and Gerrard as his no 2 way before the links with Gerrard came about. He was laughed at :D

I always wonder who he was :D

There were more than a handful on here, who thought it was a disaster in the making.
Some were actually enraged that he was getting the job, and still there are those of the "it's Gerrard, so he gets a pass" brigade.

I didn't think he was management material at all. He's cemented the fact that I know fook all about football and I'm an even worse judge of character. Over the moon to be proved completely wrong.

Invested in a manager the way I hadn’t been since Walter left. I never thought McCoist was cut out to be a manager, Warburton was all style no substance and the less said about Pedro and Murty the better. Gerrard seemed like the read deal and still does.

His lack of experience wasn’t an issue for me, just as it wasn’t for Souness.

As soon as I saw his intro and1st presser & how he dealt with our dumb press core I knew we had a winner.

Last edited:
Mixed actually.
Captain of England and Liverpool under various top managers from whom he’d have learned a lot, both on and off the pitch.
Countered by confusion as to why we’d appoint someone who only managed at U18s level.
So far, so good, I needn’t have worried.

On the back of McCoist, Warburton, Pedro WTF & the chase for McInnes,
I thought here we go again.
A rookie manager trying to build a squad with loan signings and limited budget!!!

Gobsmacked in a “cautious “sort of way.
Feel our gaffer has learned a LOT from last season.

It was a Souness moment for me. Yes he was inexperienced, but the guy was so much of a winner as a player I didn’t have any doubts, and I felt he would have done due diligence on what he was getting from us.

Slightly concerned, I thought we needed more experience after the mess of the last few appointments.
Same here. Was happy we got a big name but definitely concerned with the lack of experience.

Now I think the only worthy semi realistic replacement is Walter. Gerrard's proved me wrong and I have no doubt he will go on to be a top top manager.

Worried an amazed at the same time

Remember thinking ,he surely can’t be as bad as Pedro

Then seeing the crowd at Ibrox to welcome him
Was gutted I never made the journey through

I was and am still cautious. The feel good factor is back and we’re looking strong but we haven’t won anything yet. I’m not going to get ahead of myself or underestimate them either so I’ll stay cautious for a few months more yet...

Concerned as I thought we needed experience (I was championing warnock haha). Happy with it now but no way of knowing if I was right or wrong. We had some decent performances amongst a load of average/poor. We will never know whether an experienced head could have got us through better last year as they were there for the taking but I am absolutely delighted to have Gerrard in now and wouldn’t change him for anyone.

Being honest, concerned. We had a youth team coach being replaced by another youth team coach albeit one with a name.

I remember on here or the old board someone put forward a managerial duo of Murty and Gerrard as his no 2 way before the links with Gerrard came about. He was laughed at :D

I always wonder who he was :D

Probably Murty.

Excited and apprehensive.

I thought we'd be able to attract better players from England, but was worried that we couldn't afford another flop.

I can remember the first stirrings of speculation, he'd appeared at the 3-2 loss to Celtic at Ibrox in the march. And I won't be revisionist...a lot of people on this message board were pretty hostile to the prospect.

Back