How did you really feel when Steven Gerrard was appointed manager?

I was extremely sceptical, felt we needed a safer pair of hands after previous debacles. I probably felt it was a style over substance kind of appointment. So glad I was wrong.

Last edited:
After the initial disbelief of Steven fucking Gerrard becoming our manager, the high standards I knew he'd bring was what excited me the most. I just knew the tide was going to turn with him at the helm.

I downed tools at 11 when it was announced on here that the press conference had been moved to 3pm for an announcement, straight on the train from Perth to city centre then the subway with a half bottle, straight in to the louden and when the yellow banner came up on SSN saying he’d been announced I was like a poster said before me amazed, confused and delighted! Place went mental! Still have to pinch myself to this day.

I was buzzing the day he was announced, the videos of people at Ibrox and his first press conference etc.

I then took my seat at the Shkupi game and it dawned on me this was his first actual game as a manager and I was honestly thinking 'f*ck!! have me made an almighty mistake here?'

Thankfully I know feck all.

I was so far down the line of being sick of Murty being our manager every other few months that I was really questioning the board over their ability to appoint a manger.

I mean, there's millions of managers out there. Every club has one and there's a load more sitting there to be picked up and employed.

Pedro had been a clear mistake. Murty wasn't going to do. The McInnes saga was an utter farce in the end (I wasn't keen on him ever but at least he was an actual manager and despite all the issues I had with him, it would surely have been an improvement on Murty (yes? no? who knows?)

When Gerrard's name came up, I'd heard a couple of days before that he was being mentioned but it was as an assistant role to Neil Warnock that the rumour was knocking about.

I must admit that when it became clear it was him in the main role, I did revert to thinking "he's not a manager either and there's still millions of them around...actual manager's with track records"

However, like others have said, after the first press conference there was a feeling of "he gets it" to an extent and, while the proof was going to be in the signings and results, there was a chance that this might just work.

Now? I'm fully on board with what's going on and have been for some time. There's still a load of work to do but I do think he'll get us there.

Last edited:
Absolutely buzzing. Massive statement. Massive gamble too but all appointments are a gamble to some extent. Might as well gamble on a massive name.

He's proved my gut instinct right that he's made for us. He'll win us trophies, this season.

My view of Gerrard was that he was a tim with connections to parkheid. Was not amused. After listening to him and reading that he was not an admirer of the celic, I warmed up to the lad. He is now a sort of hero now. He knows football ,he is a thinker, he has a bigger insight to what is needed at this club than anyone except for Walter. long may he reign. I believe we have a winner.

I was initially worried, I thought it was a last throw of the dice gamble. But as soon as he spoke, with purpose and conviction, I instantly thought of the Magnificent Bastard. So glad now that the overwhelming majority got behind him.

He has gave us our pride back, he is fighting for our rightful place and if he pulls it off with 55, a team worthy of our club.

Initially felt it was the wrong move and we needed proven experience. Developed a raging stauner after his unveiling and first press conference though, and it's showing no sign of letting up ever since! He's just 'right' for our club.

Absolutely buzzing. From the sickening feeling of the perennial loser McInnes potentially being appointed to one of the most revered footballers of his generation. I thought it was a gamble that we needed to take. We weren't going to be able to bring in an established proven manager, so we had to get creative. The fact he was bringing McAllister and Beale with him eased the anxiety a little.

I'll be honest, I thought it was bonkers.

After the double fiasco of Pedro and Murty, with a botched attempt at luring McInnes away from his sunbed wedged somewhere in between, appointing a complete rookie manager sounded like yet another crazy move to me.

I'm happy to say he's won me over though and it definitely feels like we're onto something with him now, but it should be stressed that he's won nothing yet and as we all know the feelgood factor has a habit of changing in an instant on here, so . . .

Surprised. Delighted. Excited. Mixed with a wee bit of trepidation about an inexperienced manager taking on such a massive job. Thought it was an innovative appointment overall and that the board had played a blinder.

Now? He’s a winner, a leader, an intelligent football thinker, great with the media and I am absolutely delighted that he’s our manager. I also like the fact that he seems to be a loyal character who’ll see the job out not jump ship at the first EPL opportunity.

I admired the sheer balls of our board to take the gamble of bringing in an inexperienced manager (albeit a footballing legend) after the Caixinha debacle rather than play it safe.

I was optimistic that he would replicate his on field success through his sheer desire and determination and be the legend that we so richly deserve.

But I was also wary that the whole thing could blow up in our faces.and give our enemies yet more ammo to deride us with.

A year and a bit on, I wouldn't swap him for anybody. I have no doubt that the man (god) is going to deliver in spades.

Was very excited. Never really knew what to expect, but during his unveiling press conference I knew it would be a success, winning means everything to the guy. Absolutely love him.

A bit unsure and apprehensive when the news first broke.

I immediately listened to his audiobook and became quite excited at the type of person we were getting, then read a bit about the team he was bringing in to help him & I was sold.

His appointment has been everything I’d hoped for and more.

Shocked. But as soon as he walked out the tunnel to be unveiled. Suited and booted. I was like.... 55 let's go WATP

Buzzing but cautious.

For anyone who now is still skeptical, have a read at one of the last chapters in Peter Crouch's book (which is excellent by the way) and tell me that we don't have the right man at the helm:))

Sceptical. With zero experience I thought it was a massive gamble. But then I wanted Mcinnes in charge so what the hell do I know?!

I was far from alone with those thoughts but a lot simply won’t admit it now

Delighted right from the moment I heard he was taking over. I wanted us to go for Ryan Giggs before Pedro took over. Thought we needed a big name that could attract young players from down South and abroad and wanted a young manager who would give young players a chance. Gerrard ticks all of those boxes and much more, hes been a breath of fresh air. He's given us an identity again and a style of play I really like watching and signed some really good players. Loving every minute!!

Was a bit confused at first, with a tingle in my groin. Then when I saw his appearance on BT Sport where he confirmed to Lineker that he was in talks, with a wee twinkle in his eye, I got a full blown staunner.

"oh shit" in every emotion possible.

Delighted we pulled a name like that to the club, on the other hand took a step back when everyone was shouting that 55 was coming there and then. Wanted to wait a while to suss him out as a manager.

At the time I would have rathered a manager with experience, as we only had 3 seasons to win the league and save the other mob gloating about 10IAR for likely the rest of my day's. Didn't see why we would take a chance on a guy learning the ropes when we are up against it for time really. He got my full backing though as all our managers do.

Completely shocked and not happy, thought we needed experience and security.

Fucking buzzing now though he a class act and has us feeling like Rangers again after years of despair.

I contributed to a lot of the views of the announcement and I mean a lot. Probably several thousand.

And the video where he swaggers into Ibrox casually clicking his fingers.

I was against it, no experience, boards previous choices had been poor, just a "name" to quieten fan displeasure then he walked out & I was like "Stevie fucking Gerrard! It's Stevie fucking Gerrard! Woohoo, get the %^*& in!

Disappointed, would have preferred him on the pitch, too inexperienced. I don't mind saying he's made me eat my word and I'm thrilled about it. Really do think he's a gem and the work he's done to get us to this point is fantastic.

I admit i was very cautious at first as i thought we needed to bring someone in with experience. But i could not be happier with how things have went for us in his short time as manager so far. I feel so confident now that he is the man that will deliver 55 to us all.
I thought it was a great piece of business by the board,given Rodgers was atCeltic I thought it was a great leveller in terms of Stevie knowing his game inside out,part of me is a bit pissed off Rodgers left,I believe Stevie was just beginning to get the better of him. Still can't believe he's our gaffer sometimes.

When it was initially rumoured I was a bit concerned given his lack of experience.

But from memory from initial rumour to him signing was pretty quick and it was easy to get caught up in the excitement of such a huge name coming to us.

Part of it was just having been so scunnered with what had come before with Murty, Pedro and late stage Warburton - I was willing to gravitate towards any kind of positivity and he certainly hit the ground running on that front.

He’s been fantastic for us so far, not flawless obviously but I’m delighted he’s our manager.

Wasn’t/wouldn’t have been my 1st choice - thought a Warnock type would give us best chance of being hard to beat and being strong enough to challenge.

But I was excited watching his first press conf and he absolutely had me at ‘Let’s Go’.

Now? I love him and if he delivers 55 will get a statue of him in my garden.

Back