How did you really feel when Steven Gerrard was appointed manager?

Was absolutely buzzing. Took the day off to go to Ibrox for the unveiling.

There are very rare moments in football when the stars align and you just know something mega is about to happen. That was one of those moments.

I believe Steven Gerrard will leave this club having won at least one treble, and reached the last 8 of one of the euro tournaments

Surprised and concerned with the appointment, tbh as it was/is a massive gamble by the board. Never bought into the instant love for him, the "Let's go" patter and the way some people talk you would think the club are secondary to the manager. Kinda stuff irks me, tbh.

There's been progress since the last few years that is for sure and it's been great, but will keep my gurning under control till he delivers a major trophy.

I was excited but a bit nervous over how it would go. I remember saying if goes tits up at least we tried something exciting rather than a McInnes or Tommy Wright.

Towards the end of the season after he was announced, I remember us struggling against Kilmarnock at Ibrox (we won 2-0 I think) and I remember thinking his appointment was the only thing keeping me from having a nervous breakdown.

I thought it was borderline ridiculous and that we were too big a club to get excited about a “name” coming to us.

Now I’m delighted he’s our gaffer.

Trepidatious given his lack of experience managing, but excited given his reputation and the fact that the name would be a draw to players that the likes of McInnes, Murty, Caixinha etc all didn't have.
I wasn't born when Sounness was appointed (though I'm convinced I'm named after him), but it felt like the same thing - big name player played for Liverpool, coming in without experience but setting things in motion for a decade of dominance.
Magnificent Bastard is an unusual name.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I was cautious - the news broke a few days before it was properly announced and nobody really knew anything of him as a coach or manager up to then.

When you heard him speak about football it was reassuring that his values are consistent with this club though.
He has made mistakes, he will continue to make mistakes but the important bit is that he doesn’t seem to repeat the same mistakes over & over.

I felt absolutely delighted , was buzzing but then tempered a bit when my old man in his 70s said how much of a gamble it is etc , I explained to him who would you rather have had because our options weren’t exactly great , and he soon came around .

He has been even better than I had hoped so far .

When my mate phoned and told me all that came out my mouth was a stunned f*** off. Then I climbed on the train

My initial thoughts were, does he turn out like Souness, or will he be another John Barnes.

I'm delighted with the Steven Gerrard era so far, and hopefully he will bring us the league title this season.

Nervous excitment for me. No experience but a world name who will be a big pull for players. Plus, an incredible drive to win.

I was genuinely buzzing about getting such a high profile name and even more so when Dave King was talking about the reasons they hired him.

Gerrard just oozes class and he's a born winner.

I wasn't overly excited, a bit worried we had went for a name rather than the experienced manager we needed, then I watched his first press conference on taking the job and the moment he said "Let's Go" I was won over instantly

I thought it was an appointment that could have went either way. Could have been great. Could have been awful.

I'm surprised at people shocked we could appoint Gerrard with zero management experience. We are one of the biggest names in world football although granted the spivs had held us back over a number of years.

I was raging. I honestly thought WTF we’re getting rid of a failed under 20s coach for in under 18s coach. As time was going I started to get really excited because of who he is and I knew he was a winner. By the time he got here I was absolutely delighted and couldn’t quite believe it because i convinced myself he was the best person to take us forward, was good to look at and I honestly believed he would start to get us some much needed positive press. So far so good!

Not going to lie i was a bit underwhelmed, thought it was a massive and unnecessary gamble after the Caixinha debacle.

But the day he was officially unveiled and strutted out of the tunnel at Ibrox i was instantly sold, he just had an hold and respect from our support and i have been besotted with him ever since.

He gets the club, he gets us, he just gets IT.

Was concerned about his lack of experience but opinion quickly changed after we started putting results together in Europe and whilst we dropped some points in the league, the performances were encouraging.

I remember a poster suggesting Gerrard when Pedro first went and he got pelters for it,I think I dismissed it as well.
A few months down the line and I have to say I was caught up in the hype when he first came in.
A year down the line,even though we did not win anything last year,I have to say it was a great appointment we have made progress as a team in europe and we now have a strong squad that looks capable of getting 55.

He seems to know what he is doing as a manager and has the team behind him all the way.

It was exciting but I did feel that the club was taking a risk. Was completely won over after his press conference though- you could just see he had the desire and confidence to succeed.

I still can't believe how far he's took us in a year. far surpassed my expectations.

Rangers were (are) the perfect for Steven Gerrard.

What is also delightful, is the fact that ( until he took the Rangers job ) they all believed he was one of them*

*Actually, most of us probably thought the same :D

Wasn't happy at all. I felt it was yet another experiment at a time we needed a managerial pedigree to stop the dreaded 10. Glad to see he's showing signs of proving me wrong. Fingers crossed

I was giving up my season ticket untill SG was announced. I knew he would turn it around. I remember seeing alot of posts about him not being an experienced manager but i thought that wouldnt matter hes played at the top level all of his career. Thank %^*& i renewed because theres now apparently 10k on a waiting list

I was concerned by his naivety in some interviews as well as some early decisions when he first arrived.

But in reflection i think he's proven to be a fast learner. I like that he recently revealed he hooked a player because of concerns over a dodgy referee. That day he brought on Wallace during a corner at Fir Park near the end of the game where we lost a late goal was an example of early naivety I feel but also an example where he learned his lesson as he has not done this again since. I think he got it wrong as concerns Worrall over Katic last season and it cost us, but Worrall is no more and Katic is a starter this term.

I think at times last season we lacked ideas, I feel he's rectified this by adding more variety to the squad.

All in all, now I feel good about him as Rangers manager. He's not a worry at all. The future is bright and exciting. These are the good times.

Shocked that we got him but also slightly cautious because I thought we need experience. But when I went over to his unveiling with the Mrs and wean and he started punching the air etc I was fucking buzzing!

Steadfast and Confident when announced
Denial when he showed up at Ibrox
Let’s fn Go after his press conference

I was 100% for it.

Some were hesitant as he was inexperienced (I understood that).

But I saw him as the future. He was a professional footballer at the highest level. Knew the game inside and out. Could be a great role model for our players. Could (DOES) attract the big names to come play for us?

My main fault is I thought the media here would pander all over this BIG NAME and become more Rangers friendly. Every other country would, with their equivalent. But not Scotland.

I will admit I thought it was the wrong move but I got it wrong. The change in club,players and the feel good factor now is night and day from what he took over.
Credit to the board for having the balls for bringing Gerrard in for 55

I thought it was a massive gamble due to his lack of experience. I was excited by the name but felt that the job was too big (under the circumstances at the time) for a rookie boss.

My first thought was huge gamble after Pedro.
Is an under 18scoach what we need.
But then it's Steven Gerrard so definitely mixed feelings.
Must admit got fed up with the choo choo 55 express stuff lol
Happy now we took the gamble

Back