How did you really feel when Steven Gerrard was appointed manager?

Delighted and smug as I'd randomly predicted it a week before.

Just walking down my landing with a framed watercolour of Ibrox at the end I just thought we couldn't go on with Murty or any old ex players (no disrespect to any) and by the time I'd got to the bottom of my stairs I'd settled on Gerrard. Thought process was just Murty , nope, big name, couldn't afford one, Englands recently retired golden generation hmmmm Lampard, GERRARD bingo.

Couldn't believe it when the rumours started.

Full of hope and expectation.
It’s the hope that kills you....
Really mixed feelings last year. We improved hugely and got level with them at key points.
However we also dropped stupid points and failed spectacularly at key moments in matches we should have won.

This year we are stronger, more settled and I feel confident that Prizes are coming.

But I am as nervous as a kitten about Legis tomorrow

I thought we were mental at first then after that first press conference I think I punched the air and shouted come on!

Very underwhelmed as he had no experience and as we have all saw before good players don’t make good managers, he is starting to win me over

I was pleased, Frank De Boer was my first choice, but mostly because we needed a man who had been there and done it. The press openly mocked Warburton, Murty and Caixinha because they weren't big names and had won f.uck all.

Up steps Gerrard. Champions League winner, England Captain, Liverpool legend...who is arguing with him?

He's what we needed at the right time.

I dread to think what vegetable McInnes' face would have been photoshopped onto at this stage.

I was one of the 'anyone but McInnes' posters, so i was relieved that we went a different direction, however, i was worried that Stevie G couldn't possibly be as successful as Souness, and we wouldn't be as lucky again. So far he hasn't been, but you know what, i am really starting to believe that he will achieve more for our club than GS did, and that he will prove that again at Liverpool in 5 years time.

I admit i was very cautious at first as i thought we needed to bring someone in with experience. But i could not be happier with how things have went for us in his short time as manager so far. I feel so confident now that he is the man that will deliver 55 to us all.

ELATED.

Against it, felt it was risky and another one we couldn't afford given the state of us. It has paid off and I was on board after a couple months. Last season on paper wasn't a vast improvement but football isn't played on paper and I always prefer to just go off what I see infront of me and the improvement in the team was vast and sudden despite the problematic results last season.

Easily the man to take us forward and gives us something money can't buy which I felt we lost in the lower leagues which is a top level, strong and professional mentality.

Last edited:
I’ll admit I thought was it the wrong move at the time - I thought we needed someone with experience. How wrong was I.

After Scottish Government Minister Humza Yousaf told us all it wasn’t going to happen, I was utterly astounded that it did.

I felt like it was a massive risk at a time when we couldn't afford one and we were depending on Gerrard being able to learn quickly. Luckily, he's proven that and more.

I was excited. Was not sure it was gonna work but I was really excited to see what would happen.

It’s worked out so far, I think he is the man to stop the tims.

Honestly I wasn’t happy. Felt it was to big a risk at a time we needed to steady the ship.

Now I’m delighted I was wrong and when i look at the squad now and see some of the football we are playing I don’t think there is anyone who would have done a better job

I admit i was very cautious at first as i thought we needed to bring someone in with experience. But i could not be happier with how things have went for us in his short time as manager so far. I feel so confident now that he is the man that will deliver 55 to us all.
ecstatic, watched pretty much his whole career & been a fan of Liverpool since high school, so i still find it odd, but the stars aligned at the right moment and we needed each other at the right time :) #LetsGo

Shocked, cautious, fearful.

I didn't think it would work out, too young, not enough experience and the experience at youth leveldisnt exactly set the heather alight. Thankfully I've eaten those thoughts, King and Co have played a blinder.

We are back and that's thanks to all those in place now.

Excited. I suppose just as I am with any managerial appointment. Hope and excitement.

I'm the guy who, when we sign an average player, is overly optimistic about his potential and really roots for them. I remember when Alex Cleland and Gary Bollan signed and I took to Cleland immediately and just hoped he'd make it. I felt the same when we appointed McLeish and also Caixinha.

Gerrard was different. He has a confidence about him, without being disrespectful. I have always felt him more up to the job than his predecessors in Pedro and Warburton.

I am struggling to think of another manager who'd have done much better than what Gerrard has done so far with the resources at his disposal.

Cautiously excited, if that makes sense.

Taking on a rookie manager was a HUGE gamble by a board who’d got their previous choice badly wrong - choices, if you include Murty as long term interim and their pursuit of McInnes. The chances of it being a disaster were 50/50 was my view.

But it was Stevie fucking G, so of course there was excitement at the buzz and attention it brought the club. Plus, you knew he had a ruthless, winners mentality, which could not be said for Pedro, Murty or McInnes.

Amazed, shocked and even a little concerned due to his lack of experience but I’ve been loving the ride so far and as others have said sometimes look at our manager and shake my head in disbelief that Steven Gerrard is our gaffer :))

Gobsmacked and thought "it's either going to be great or an absolute car crash. But I want to see what happens anyway"

So far so good. Needs to win something this season imo

I was on night shift when the news started to break that he was going to be our new manager. Have to say I was a bit stunned at first that we were going for a rookie manager after what we had been through. Then the more I thought about it, the more I thought it could be a master stroke, similar to Souness. He has a winning mentality and would probably attract players to Rangers because of his reputation & the respect he has worldwide. Didn’t take long to jump on the Stevie G Express. Choo choo.

I wasn't happy, in all honesty. Excited to see such a massive name coming to the club, but had reservations on a rookie manager taking over a poor, poor team. However, after his first interview is was getting excited and by the time the season was starting I was buzzing.

When the rumours started and the footballing ‘experts’ said there was no way he would come. I then thought well, it’s a rumour, however what a coup it would have been if true.

When he was announced, “f***ing brilliant”.

Out of all the names that had been bandied about ie McInnes, Big Sam, SG etc Steven Gerrard was the only one who I hoped and wanted to come.

I thought at first after the Macinnes fiasco that this was a real gamble, glad to be proven wrong,
I think it has been a masterstroke by King and all involved.
You feel he has raised the profile of Rangers massively worldwide, while at the same time
giving us a team on the park that has improved by all expectations.
I also gringe when I look back at the Caixinha press interviews and now feel so happy to have
an articulate and impressive manager who talks sense and not total bollocks.

After only a 1 year in management, you have to be totally impressed with our saviour

Genuinely:

Excited re profile, and the kind of player he could attract; and that he was a 'winner' and wouldn't bullshit us like Pedro, or cry like our caretaker manager.

But I admit I was worried that he was a novice, and had no managerial experience. I also worried that the state we were in would work against his attempts to make us any sort of Klopp-lite.

When it was 1st rumoured I was pretty bemused tbh, slowly but surely tho I got swept up in the momentum of excitement until the point where he actually was appointed I was delighted. I knew it was always a risk but I believed it was one worth taking when he was unveiled. If he delivers 55 this season then it'll have proved to have been an absolute masterstroke by the board.

I thought it was a gamble but given I thought we would have ended up with someone like Neil Warnock I was prepared to take the gamble.

Some of the comments on the Gerrard Express thread. %^*& me it's a brutal read. Eejits posting about his slip v Chelsea etc.

I honestly didnt think it would work and he’d be one of first managers of season to leave the league last year. His messages were great and inspiring but talk is cheap and easy.

Now, im happy to be wrong. Hes had a great development year last year and is building nicely this year; the improvements are clear to see. Genuinely feel he has given us a great shot this year of silverware.

Back