How do we get more goals from midfield/wingers?

Scoop

McKay , windarse and now Kent frustrate me at times- how many times are they running at defenders towards edge of or inside box and they stop or check back - make the defender commit - how many pens/ free kicks would come from that ? And if not then you are through or free to find a pass .

Punpun

We don't play wingers?
Call it what you want Pep.

Whether it's right wingers/forwards/midfielders/strikers, my point still stands - we had at least one liability in the front three that didn't need marked so the opposition doubled up on and nullified our more threatening players.

Jaws II

As Beale says we play with 3 forwards rather than wingers, would be interesting to see us play 4-2-3-1 with wingers. Reckon Kent will get many more goals this year. Love to see more direct running with more options to take the ball inside and shoot, rather than everything going through Morelos.
If you play Goldson as a striker he is still a CH playing striker.
Don’t care what Beale says we were not playing 3 forwards, first part of the season we would use Ojo and Kent who are both wide players. They are never going to get you over 15 goals a season.
2nd part of the season we were playing an attacking midfielder(Hagi) as the right sided forward.
If they want to play 433, play 3 forwards who can score goals and can be flexible to attack from wide positions, do not play old fashioned wide players and expect them to score you a good number of goals every season.

Coplandbear

didn’t score enough, and made about 10 crosses a game and lucky if 1 or 2 were half decent.
SG was correct to let him go.
To say he would have helped us win the league is fucking mental :))
In hindsight we would have got more contribution from Candeias last season han we had with the disastrous Ojo.

Candeias may have lacked that creature spark/goal threat but he more than made up for that with his work rate and linking up generally well with Tavernier/Morelos on the right hand side.

Mental that we played the amount of players we did in his position last season and none of them were anywhere near as good as he was. if you cant see that i dont know what to say to you lol.

Zwingli'sSausages

We need more players to be ruthless around the box and take more responsibility for goals. For a period, Jack did step up and was taking opportunities to fire one in and test the keeper. Too many times we try to pass it through a congested defence.

Jaws II

In hindsight we would have got more contribution from Candeias last season han we had with the disastrous Ojo.

Candeias may have lacked that creature spark/goal threat but he more than made up for that with his work rate and linking up generally well with Tavernier/Morelos on the right hand side.
Being better than Ojo doesn’t mean we would have won the league, it just means he is better than a player who failed badly while on loan.
Candeias is playing at his correct level now.

1288Bear

Kent has to contribute much much more, He only had 2 assists for the entire season both in cup games no assists in the league which really isn’t good enough. There lies the problem. Though should be fair to say not just Kent needs to do better, the entire midfield & attacking players need to contribute more in terms of assists & goals. As we need to take the pressure of Alfie, really any good successful team has goals littered throughout the team & are not reliant on just one player.
Appreciate the point re assists but a bit harsh none the less. As far as Kent is concerned 7 goals in 21 league games is a decent return for a wide player and 8 in 32 for all games is reasonably healthy.

In league terms his goals per minute (218) is only bettered by 8 players of which 7 could be considered as actual strikers. So, excluding strikers, only 1 player has a better goals/minute return in the league.

In addition, based purely on league games, his percentage of shots on target (57%) is only bettered by 6 players.

Statistics can be helpful but also misleading - Kent, although not credited with an assist, contributed to much more than two goals and scored a higher than average number for his position.

He could, unquestionably, do better as could many of the team and I would expect better from him in future.

As you say we need more of a contribution across the team in terms of goals and assists.

wee_bear

For me, we need to be more flexible formation wise. I’d say 4-2-3-1 suits the squad we have and that suit be our base formation with an inside right forward to be acquired.

Kent would be our inside left and Hagi in the middle.

If we can get another decent striker in we could then switch easily between:

4-4-2
4-3-2-1
3-5-2
3-4-3

In any formation the missing player is the right forward / winger. If we can get a target man as well I’d be buzzing.

After the disappointments after new year there is no player in our starting 11 that has made themselves indispensable so if the recruitment team can improve us anywhere then it should be looked at. Biggest priority is the right side of attack followed by central midfield for me.

CanuckBear

Teams usually just hand over possession to us and sit back. Too often we are so slow in transition and we wait for them to get back while we knock the ball around our midfield.

To put more pressure on these teams, we need to be much faster at getting the ball into the attacking areas and stop allowing teams to get set defensively.
What we have is players with more skill than our opposition but once these teams get their two backs of 4 or 5 sitting in a controlled manner-it is an absolute nightmare to break down and voids our players ability to use their skill and space to their advantage.
We have seen that when we play Celtic or teams in Europe who dont sit 10 behind the ball against us, our attacking players are very good and can expose teams with their skills, pace and creativity.
All of that gets killed though when we allow those weaker teams to control how we operate as we move forward into those attacking areas.

brain

Appreciate the point re assists but a bit harsh none the less. As far as Kent is concerned 7 goals in 21 league games is a decent return for a wide player and 8 in 32 for all games is reasonably healthy.
True it's actually a decent tally. But in 15 home games last season he only scored 1, and it was in a 5 nil hammering. It's a similar story with his assists, very rare at home. He is a player who needs to be able to use his pace and there isn't enough opportunity for that at Ibrox. I think we need another attacking midfielder who doesn't need that space in behind. Hagi is a good start but one more would be great.

Nopapacnoparty

Not enough drive and desire to beat a man or hit a by line or have a shot. Just plenty neat and tidy possession, waiting for the perfect opportunity to just open up.

1288Bear

True it's actually a decent tally. But in 15 home games last season he only scored 1, and it was in a 5 nil hammering. It's a similar story with his assists, very rare at home. He is a player who needs to be able to use his pace and there isn't enough opportunity for that at Ibrox. I think we need another attacking midfielder who doesn't need that space in behind. Hagi is a good start but one more would be great.
He does seem more suited to away games where there is more of an opportunity to use his pace to get in behind defences.

Hopefully if we can get the likes of Hagi contributing to the goals tally it takes a bit of the pressure off guys like Kent and Morelos. Also means defences have more to worry about. Too often opposition defences seemed to be focussed on stopping Alfie by whatever means (even simply by winding him up and let the ref do the rest) and crowding out Kent. Do that, at least last season, and you stop Rangers effectively - more options should create more space and opportunities for us. Or perhaps I'm overly optimistic.

Dotty_84

The problem with goals from midfield really comes from Kamara and Davis, the others do chip in but it's not like they have as much space as they'd like.

We play against back lines of 5 Infront of a 4 and where I think we shoot ourselves in foot is that we play too narrow. Morelos with two no10s is lunacy. You're effectively saying to the opposition do one thing and that's defend compact and we'll find away through. That's ok if you have Messi, Silva, De Bruyne in your team, we don't.

We need width, Kent is a Winger, bring in another RW keep them wide until they feel they need to come in. Spread the opposition and ask questions of them. Have Morelos centre with Hagi behind, other central support should come from 1 or both the CMs if needed.

Our midfield 3 should never consist of Davis, Jack and Kamara unless its Europe or Celtic, imo.

HandsomeHead

As Beale says we play with 3 forwards rather than wingers, would be interesting to see us play 4-2-3-1 with wingers. Reckon Kent will get many more goals this year. Love to see more direct running with more options to take the ball inside and shoot, rather than everything going through Morelos.
I think that’s the concept rather than the reality.

If we must play this system I’d like to see our two wide forwards given more license to actually attack instead of used in this floating no.10 system that doesn’t work against packed defences.

We need a far greater goal threat than Alfie alone.

Bulletproof

We don't have the players to play like Liverpool. So next season I would defo like to see a change when it comes to domestic footy

SuperGers07

Shoot from distanceand dont try and walk ball into net.
Arfield and Jack scored a few prior to winter break. Cant remember many after winter break which didnt help as Alfie was off the boil
Problem is our mids are lucky to get 5 a season each. Across the city, theirs are regularly scoring 15 at least a season. We are miles off it in that regard as well. Upgrades needed in that midfield area

CanuckBear

The other thing I would add too is that we set up far too defensively.
I have no clue why the management team thinks we need 4 at the back with 2 holders vs the rest of the teams in the league.
We should be going with 3 at the back with a holder (3-1-4-2) and get Barisic and Tav much higher up the park. This would help us get on the front foot a lot quicker by having more offensive players up the park earlier.

Shagger
Katic Goldson Helander
Davis
Tav Hagi Jack BB
Morelos Kent

Teessidebear

Is it just me or does Ryan Kent seem to score most his goals when plays from the right.
he also strikes ball Better with his left foot although he is more right footed.
maybewe should play him over there instead.

skorn

We badly need to work harder on shooting from outside the box. We rarely do it, and when we do it's usually completely powder-puff. Ryan Jack's has improved slightly but that's about it. I'd have thought Gerrard and McAllister would be the ideal coaches for it.
Whilst many others have mentioned that we should shoot more from distance, the above (emboldened part) is the important piece -- it has to be worked on in training.

Shooting from distance, shooting from really long distance, shooting from an angle, shooting when running at almost full speed, shooting at balls breaking back from crowded defences, balls skidding across field, etc, etc.

I was nothing special as a footballer when young, but I was able to hit the target with fair accuracy and regularity, plus with some venom too.
Because I practised at it.

There ARE some people who have a cow's eye for shooting and literally couldn't hit the side of a barn, but the vast majority of our outfield players should be able to learn the above shooting skills.
They need trained.

WATP87

Why post nonsense like this?

Is it bantz?! Or do you think posting questions about how to get more goals undermines Mr Gerrard with it being his problem to solve?!
You're the one posting the nonsense.

Posing the question here will open dialogue between posters but isn't going to change anything.

P.s, you're welcome.

AriseSirWalter

You're the one posting the nonsense.

Posing the question here will open dialogue between posters but isn't going to change anything.

P.s, you're welcome.
Haha, can you show me a single comment that you've posted that's changed anything regarding the team? Just one will do, I'll wait!

I'll let you into a little secret, not a single post on this forum or any other has ever made any difference to player selection, team formation, how often players have a dig, whether corners are taken short or put into the box yet you'll find all the above and much, much more discussed on here.

It's an internet forum not a coaching session with the players but if you want to reply to all them saying "it's the gaffer's problem" then crack on.

WATP87

Haha, can you show me a single comment that you've posted that's changed anything regarding the team? Just one will do, I'll wait!

I'll let you into a little secret, not a single post on this forum or any other has ever made any difference to player selection, team formation, how often players have a dig, whether corners are taken short or put into the box yet you'll find all the above and much, much more discussed on here.

It's an internet forum not a coaching session with the players but if you want to reply to all them saying "it's the gaffer's problem" then crack on.
Sorry, you're not being serious, are you?

Goity

the players need to have license to have a shot at goal when the chance arrives rather than just play it sideways , Time for the players to stand up
My sentiments exactly, if the wide men could get some more shots away it will either result in more goals for them or more goals for players sniffing in & around the box from GK parries, defender mistakes or headed into the D for players like Hagi to rattle in from range.