How do we get more goals from midfield/wingers?

Jeb

I think in the case of Kent, he comes towards the ball a lot but should maybe do more runs off the ball like runs beyond the striker.
often in games he drops in to a sort of wing back position which leaves him more to do. He needs to start higher up the pitch.
i think he can be a great player but his positional sense just needs tweaking.

Hagi will defo score a few this year. We do thou still need more runners off the ball as there is only really arfield who does that but he lacks a little bit of composure off the ball
Also, he is our only gamechanger outside of Alfie. He is marked out of games and still manages to make a difference. Wait till we have hagi and/or another top class winger firing on all cylinders. The boy will come good!

Every Other Saturday

We need to shoot more from outside the box, that relies on players in front creating space just as much as the player on the ball. We also need to be hitting the line more and drilling the ball low into the box with other sided wingers/midfielders picking up any balls missed in the middle, ball on the deck and pressure kept on. Too many times when we are struggling do we see lofty crosses into the box from anywhere in the opposition half that hits no one.

Jeb

We need to shoot more from outside the box, that relies on players in front creating space just as much as the player on the ball. We also need to be hitting the line more and drilling the ball low into the box with other sided wingers/midfielders picking up any balls missed in the middle, ball on the deck and pressure kept on. Too many times when we are struggling do we see lofty crosses into the box from anywhere in the opposition half that hits no one.
This is definitely part of it. Having the ability to score from range pulls the defence out, which can impact teams choice to park the bus.

Mixing up formations, tactics and methods will be huge this year.

KensingtonBlue

Sometimes the answer is simple. I think there’s to obvious ways to correct

1) We shoot more. If you look at the goal tally of the Tarriers midfield it’s way above ours, and I believe a big reason is they shoot from distance a lot. Christie, Ntcham, McGregor, Rogic etc are always taking hits from outside. We have to remember - SPFL keepers are garbage. Give them something to think about.

2) We need better midfielders. We are way too defensive and conservative in central midfield especially. I’d like us to bring in one or two midfielders with an eye for goal. What I’d give for an Albertz right now.

Sorry but i spat out my coffee after reading that, seriously?
We were much better defensively as tav always had someone covering for him which in turn made us better on the attack as tav didn't have to worry a out defending. I don't think half yous cunts on here even watch games just like to spout pish

perthtruebluetwo

As much as I’ve been critical of Morelos at times I’d say our bigger problem is the lack of goals from midfield and wide areas. This is a problem that will potentially hit us harder if AM is sold and a new striker needs time to settle.

The goal tally from Arfield, Kent, Aribo, Hagi (although Hagi hasn’t played a huge amount of games) wasn’t enough if you’re wanting to win a league.

How do we get more goals, is it a case of new players needed? Or a change to formation or players just needing time to settle?

Personally I think we could get Haji to 12-17, Aribo 8-13, Arfield 5-10. Kent ???

Kent, I’ve no idea to be honest and I think his goal tally is the biggest disappointment from those mentioned. He scores goals in big games but we need more from him. I’d like to see Haji more central with one of the widemen able to score goals regularly to support forward.

I think players having more experience (Aribo and Hagi) will give more goals, a change of formation would help (Hagi and Kent) but do think we need another goal scorer.
One way would be to have them hit a shot once in a blue moon from outside the box.

NDC bear forever

We were much better defensively as tav always had someone covering for him which in turn made us better on the attack as tav didn't have to worry a out defending. I don't think half yous cunts on here even watch games just like to spout pish
Lol we don’t watch games because we don’t think Candeias who got 10 goals and assists would’ve won us the league.

jackstar

I have a hunch that Kent will be better this season. Last season there was a weight on his shoulders following the club paying big money for him. With that pressure off I think we'll see more of the player that we did the season before
I agree and with Hagi in from the start that should make a difference,but we need 2/3 more of similar quality to take some of the attention away from those two. Ideally pacey and a will to win.

DannyG

Any chance presents itself shoot low and hard and follow through for rebounds/deflection constant pressure for packed defense's

StirlingBear

The amount of times I screamed at the TV last season for a player to shoot then they ultimately play it out wide or pass it back. Our midfield 3 were always the worst offenders.

jackstar

Exactly. Last seasons players just don't have the goalscoring ability. As much as I hate to say it we need attacking midfielders who can score like Ryan Christie. Kent won't provide that.
The difference is they pass and move at pace,we don't, we're pedestrian at times and I think Kent is the only one with genuine pace and I think I'd rather have Kent well before Christie.

NDC bear forever

He had 17 goals and 20 assist in all competitions with candeias in the team this season hes had 3 goals and 15 assists so your talking mince
I was talking about league games but even then he was in course to better it lol. The season ended with 9 league games left and an Europe League game, he was on course to better it. Just accept you’re wrong lol

Davie Weir

I agree and with Hagi in from the start that should make a difference,but we need 2/3 more of similar quality to take some of the attention away from those two. Ideally pacey and a will to win.
Personally I think if we are going to get the beatbox out of Hagi he needs to play as a number 10.

A reshuffle of the formation to get the best out of our players is what we are needing.

NDC bear forever

Tav would not have scored 14 goals and got another 5 assists your away with it
His goals were penalties lol and he isn’t taking them this season it’s not like Candieas got him those goals. There was a good chance Tav would’ve broke his assist records. Daniel Candeias would not have turned this Rangere team into title winners.

His goals were penalties lol and he isn’t taking them this season it’s not like Candieas got him those goals. There was a good chance Tav would’ve broke his assist records. Daniel Candeias would not have turned this Rangere team into title winners.
If you read what i said a candeias type winger so we would get mpre from tav and a goalscoring midfielder. The stats dont lie he was better with candeias in the team you cant tell me any different

Ted Rangers

If you read what i said a candeias type winger so we would get mpre from tav and a goalscoring midfielder. The stats dont lie he was better with candeias in the team you cant tell me any different
So you want a defensive attacker in order to get more goals from a defender?
Couldn't we just look to get an attacker who scores and makes assists and have our defender continue to contribute with assists, which he did last season. Clearly the defender would score more goals if he still took penalties though.

So you want a defensive attacker in order to get more goals from a defender?
Couldn't we just look to get an attacker who scores and makes assists and have our defender continue to contribute with assists, which he did last season. Clearly the defender would score more goals if he still took penalties though.
He wasn't a defensive player he just tracked back to cover for a defender who cant defend. We wpuld be better signing an actual defender then we wouldnt need our winger to cover tav.

Ted Rangers

He wasn't a defensive player he just tracked back to cover for a defender who cant defend. We wpuld be better signing an actual defender then we wouldnt need our winger to cover tav.
Tav is the most frustrating of all Rangers players. He adds so much to the team, but costs too much in big moments. Realistically we will not get better in our position in the market.
We are moving in the right direction, we have no requirement for Candeias type players, workers with no quality.
I thought we covered Tav very well in the first half of last season, until Ryan Jack began struggling with injuries. We probably just need more depth in the midfield to allow Jack to be managed better.
In terms of scoring goals, we need a plan B, not a variation of plan A. Two strikers at times could at least give the opposition defences something to think about, and make them change their shape, potentially causing them to lose their structure that we often can't penetrate.

scoobytwo

Our current midfielders are more of the defensive type as we play with 3 forwards and have 2 attacking wing backs. I can't really see us getting more goals from midfield with out buying a different type of center mid, but the 2 left/right forwards/No 10s should definitely be scoring more goals.

Tav is the most frustrating of all Rangers players. He adds so much to the team, but costs too much in big moments. Realistically we will not get better in our position in the market.
We are moving in the right direction, we have no requirement for Candeias type players, workers with no quality.
I thought we covered Tav very well in the first half of last season, until Ryan Jack began struggling with injuries. We probably just need more depth in the midfield to allow Jack to be managed better.
In terms of scoring goals, we need a plan B, not a variation of plan A. Two strikers at times could at least give the opposition defences something to think about, and make them change their shape, potentially causing them to lose their structure that we often can't penetrate.
Ill agree candeias wssnt always the best of quality