How do we get more goals from midfield/wingers?

For me, we need to be more flexible formation wise. I’d say 4-2-3-1 suits the squad we have and that suit be our base formation with an inside right forward to be acquired.

Kent would be our inside left and Hagi in the middle.

If we can get another decent striker in we could then switch easily between:

4-4-2
4-3-2-1
3-5-2
3-4-3

In any formation the missing player is the right forward / winger. If we can get a target man as well I’d be buzzing.

After the disappointments after new year there is no player in our starting 11 that has made themselves indispensable so if the recruitment team can improve us anywhere then it should be looked at. Biggest priority is the right side of attack followed by central midfield for me.

Teams usually just hand over possession to us and sit back. Too often we are so slow in transition and we wait for them to get back while we knock the ball around our midfield.

To put more pressure on these teams, we need to be much faster at getting the ball into the attacking areas and stop allowing teams to get set defensively.
What we have is players with more skill than our opposition but once these teams get their two backs of 4 or 5 sitting in a controlled manner-it is an absolute nightmare to break down and voids our players ability to use their skill and space to their advantage.
We have seen that when we play Celtic or teams in Europe who dont sit 10 behind the ball against us, our attacking players are very good and can expose teams with their skills, pace and creativity.
All of that gets killed though when we allow those weaker teams to control how we operate as we move forward into those attacking areas.

Appreciate the point re assists but a bit harsh none the less. As far as Kent is concerned 7 goals in 21 league games is a decent return for a wide player and 8 in 32 for all games is reasonably healthy.
True it's actually a decent tally. But in 15 home games last season he only scored 1, and it was in a 5 nil hammering. It's a similar story with his assists, very rare at home. He is a player who needs to be able to use his pace and there isn't enough opportunity for that at Ibrox. I think we need another attacking midfielder who doesn't need that space in behind. Hagi is a good start but one more would be great.

Not enough drive and desire to beat a man or hit a by line or have a shot. Just plenty neat and tidy possession, waiting for the perfect opportunity to just open up.

True it's actually a decent tally. But in 15 home games last season he only scored 1, and it was in a 5 nil hammering. It's a similar story with his assists, very rare at home. He is a player who needs to be able to use his pace and there isn't enough opportunity for that at Ibrox. I think we need another attacking midfielder who doesn't need that space in behind. Hagi is a good start but one more would be great.
He does seem more suited to away games where there is more of an opportunity to use his pace to get in behind defences.

Hopefully if we can get the likes of Hagi contributing to the goals tally it takes a bit of the pressure off guys like Kent and Morelos. Also means defences have more to worry about. Too often opposition defences seemed to be focussed on stopping Alfie by whatever means (even simply by winding him up and let the ref do the rest) and crowding out Kent. Do that, at least last season, and you stop Rangers effectively - more options should create more space and opportunities for us. Or perhaps I'm overly optimistic.

The problem with goals from midfield really comes from Kamara and Davis, the others do chip in but it's not like they have as much space as they'd like.

We play against back lines of 5 Infront of a 4 and where I think we shoot ourselves in foot is that we play too narrow. Morelos with two no10s is lunacy. You're effectively saying to the opposition do one thing and that's defend compact and we'll find away through. That's ok if you have Messi, Silva, De Bruyne in your team, we don't.

We need width, Kent is a Winger, bring in another RW keep them wide until they feel they need to come in. Spread the opposition and ask questions of them. Have Morelos centre with Hagi behind, other central support should come from 1 or both the CMs if needed.

Our midfield 3 should never consist of Davis, Jack and Kamara unless its Europe or Celtic, imo.

As Beale says we play with 3 forwards rather than wingers, would be interesting to see us play 4-2-3-1 with wingers. Reckon Kent will get many more goals this year. Love to see more direct running with more options to take the ball inside and shoot, rather than everything going through Morelos.

I think that’s the concept rather than the reality.

If we must play this system I’d like to see our two wide forwards given more license to actually attack instead of used in this floating no.10 system that doesn’t work against packed defences.

We need a far greater goal threat than Alfie alone.

We don't have the players to play like Liverpool. So next season I would defo like to see a change when it comes to domestic footy

Shoot from distanceand dont try and walk ball into net.
Arfield and Jack scored a few prior to winter break. Cant remember many after winter break which didnt help as Alfie was off the boil
Problem is our mids are lucky to get 5 a season each. Across the city, theirs are regularly scoring 15 at least a season. We are miles off it in that regard as well. Upgrades needed in that midfield area

The other thing I would add too is that we set up far too defensively.
I have no clue why the management team thinks we need 4 at the back with 2 holders vs the rest of the teams in the league.
We should be going with 3 at the back with a holder (3-1-4-2) and get Barisic and Tav much higher up the park. This would help us get on the front foot a lot quicker by having more offensive players up the park earlier.

Shagger
Katic Goldson Helander
Davis
Tav Hagi Jack BB
Morelos Kent

Is it just me or does Ryan Kent seem to score most his goals when plays from the right.
he also strikes ball Better with his left foot although he is more right footed.
maybewe should play him over there instead.

We badly need to work harder on shooting from outside the box. We rarely do it, and when we do it's usually completely powder-puff. Ryan Jack's has improved slightly but that's about it. I'd have thought Gerrard and McAllister would be the ideal coaches for it.

Whilst many others have mentioned that we should shoot more from distance, the above (emboldened part) is the important piece -- it has to be worked on in training.

Shooting from distance, shooting from really long distance, shooting from an angle, shooting when running at almost full speed, shooting at balls breaking back from crowded defences, balls skidding across field, etc, etc.

I was nothing special as a footballer when young, but I was able to hit the target with fair accuracy and regularity, plus with some venom too.
Because I practised at it.

There ARE some people who have a cow's eye for shooting and literally couldn't hit the side of a barn, but the vast majority of our outfield players should be able to learn the above shooting skills.
They need trained.

Why post nonsense like this?

Is it bantz?! Or do you think posting questions about how to get more goals undermines Mr Gerrard with it being his problem to solve?!
You're the one posting the nonsense.

Posing the question here will open dialogue between posters but isn't going to change anything.

P.s, you're welcome.

You're the one posting the nonsense.

Posing the question here will open dialogue between posters but isn't going to change anything.

P.s, you're welcome.

Haha, can you show me a single comment that you've posted that's changed anything regarding the team? Just one will do, I'll wait!

I'll let you into a little secret, not a single post on this forum or any other has ever made any difference to player selection, team formation, how often players have a dig, whether corners are taken short or put into the box yet you'll find all the above and much, much more discussed on here.

It's an internet forum not a coaching session with the players but if you want to reply to all them saying "it's the gaffer's problem" then crack on.

Haha, can you show me a single comment that you've posted that's changed anything regarding the team? Just one will do, I'll wait!

I'll let you into a little secret, not a single post on this forum or any other has ever made any difference to player selection, team formation, how often players have a dig, whether corners are taken short or put into the box yet you'll find all the above and much, much more discussed on here.

It's an internet forum not a coaching session with the players but if you want to reply to all them saying "it's the gaffer's problem" then crack on.

Sorry, you're not being serious, are you?

We need to change our system for that to happen OP, its as simple as that. League winning teams in the past have got a few goals from all over the pitch.

the players need to have license to have a shot at goal when the chance arrives rather than just play it sideways , Time for the players to stand up
My sentiments exactly, if the wide men could get some more shots away it will either result in more goals for them or more goals for players sniffing in & around the box from GK parries, defender mistakes or headed into the D for players like Hagi to rattle in from range.

You always seem to pop up and post very strange things at strange times.

Reported and muted

Haha, ‘RePOrteD aND MuTEd’

Again just a single post to back that up would’ve been appreciated!

The very definition of nonsense.

I think in the case of Kent, he comes towards the ball a lot but should maybe do more runs off the ball like runs beyond the striker.
often in games he drops in to a sort of wing back position which leaves him more to do. He needs to start higher up the pitch.
i think he can be a great player but his positional sense just needs tweaking.

Hagi will defo score a few this year. We do thou still need more runners off the ball as there is only really arfield who does that but he lacks a little bit of composure off the ball

Also, he is our only gamechanger outside of Alfie. He is marked out of games and still manages to make a difference. Wait till we have hagi and/or another top class winger firing on all cylinders. The boy will come good!

Hagi should help. Spend a bit of time with Kent shaping his game. Or just buy players that actually fit the role

We need to shoot more from outside the box, that relies on players in front creating space just as much as the player on the ball. We also need to be hitting the line more and drilling the ball low into the box with other sided wingers/midfielders picking up any balls missed in the middle, ball on the deck and pressure kept on. Too many times when we are struggling do we see lofty crosses into the box from anywhere in the opposition half that hits no one.

We need to shoot more from outside the box, that relies on players in front creating space just as much as the player on the ball. We also need to be hitting the line more and drilling the ball low into the box with other sided wingers/midfielders picking up any balls missed in the middle, ball on the deck and pressure kept on. Too many times when we are struggling do we see lofty crosses into the box from anywhere in the opposition half that hits no one.

This is definitely part of it. Having the ability to score from range pulls the defence out, which can impact teams choice to park the bus.

Mixing up formations, tactics and methods will be huge this year.

Sometimes the answer is simple. I think there’s to obvious ways to correct

1) We shoot more. If you look at the goal tally of the mentally challengeds midfield it’s way above ours, and I believe a big reason is they shoot from distance a lot. Christie, Ntcham, McGregor, Rogic etc are always taking hits from outside. We have to remember - SPFL keepers are garbage. Give them something to think about.

2) We need better midfielders. We are way too defensive and conservative in central midfield especially. I’d like us to bring in one or two midfielders with an eye for goal. What I’d give for an Albertz right now.

Sorry but i spat out my coffee after reading that, seriously?
We were much better defensively as tav always had someone covering for him which in turn made us better on the attack as tav didn't have to worry a out defending. I don't think half yous cunts on here even watch games just like to spout pish

As much as I’ve been critical of Morelos at times I’d say our bigger problem is the lack of goals from midfield and wide areas. This is a problem that will potentially hit us harder if AM is sold and a new striker needs time to settle.

The goal tally from Arfield, Kent, Aribo, Hagi (although Hagi hasn’t played a huge amount of games) wasn’t enough if you’re wanting to win a league.

How do we get more goals, is it a case of new players needed? Or a change to formation or players just needing time to settle?

Personally I think we could get Haji to 12-17, Aribo 8-13, Arfield 5-10. Kent ???

Kent, I’ve no idea to be honest and I think his goal tally is the biggest disappointment from those mentioned. He scores goals in big games but we need more from him. I’d like to see Haji more central with one of the widemen able to score goals regularly to support forward.

I think players having more experience (Aribo and Hagi) will give more goals, a change of formation would help (Hagi and Kent) but do think we need another goal scorer.
One way would be to have them hit a shot once in a blue moon from outside the box.

We were much better defensively as tav always had someone covering for him which in turn made us better on the attack as tav didn't have to worry a out defending. I don't think half yous cunts on here even watch games just like to spout pish
Lol we don’t watch games because we don’t think Candeias who got 10 goals and assists would’ve won us the league.

I have a hunch that Kent will be better this season. Last season there was a weight on his shoulders following the club paying big money for him. With that pressure off I think we'll see more of the player that we did the season before
I agree and with Hagi in from the start that should make a difference,but we need 2/3 more of similar quality to take some of the attention away from those two. Ideally pacey and a will to win.

Any chance presents itself shoot low and hard and follow through for rebounds/deflection constant pressure for packed defense's

The amount of times I screamed at the TV last season for a player to shoot then they ultimately play it out wide or pass it back. Our midfield 3 were always the worst offenders.

Exactly. Last seasons players just don't have the goalscoring ability. As much as I hate to say it we need attacking midfielders who can score like Ryan Christie. Kent won't provide that.
The difference is they pass and move at pace,we don't, we're pedestrian at times and I think Kent is the only one with genuine pace and I think I'd rather have Kent well before Christie.

Back