How do we give Helander more opportunities?

Albertz Loyal

With Goldson and Katic undroppable at the moment, according to FollowFollow,
and our three Left Backs failing to impress the majority on here, I'm surprised no one is screaming for the big left footed Swede to be given the Left Back berth v St Mirren!;)
I didn't want to be the first person to say it!! Hey..it worked out well for sasa

Ibroxkev

At this moment in time he just has to wait for his opportunity when it comes. I still think that Katic is a work in progress but as long as he’s adding the odd goal here and there, it’s gonna be very hard to drop him.

Danger Zone

He’ll take Katic’s place. You’ll read about Katic making mistakes as a result of being young and inexperienced despite his partner arguably making more of those gaffs.

Either way, we’re spoiled for choice when it comes to centre backs.

Chas

Katic doesn’t deserve to be dropped, neither does Goldson. He will just have to wait on his chance.

Last edited:

artificialintoleranz

Goldson an Katic are both un dropable, the perfect CH pairing... and yet... We have threads worrying about our defence where hundreds agree... We have match threads that disappear into dispair as we as team have a collective brain fart and ship two easy goals.

Goldson and Katic are both great CHs but there is no reason they can't be pushed to be better or that we can't improve on them.

I am only 47 but all the great Rangers teams I remember were built on defenders carved from Teak. Walter could have this four we currently have and still need another two as starters depending on the opposition.

We have four good CHs. It isn't a problem ffs, it's an asset. One we will employ throughout the season and then some.

We don't need to panic, they will all see plenty of football. Let's enjoy this position of strength and luxuriate (the red wine is kicking in, not every day I use luxuriate in a ff post :p) in it and not fret about who gets what minutes on the park.

Laidlaw Loyal

Goldson an Katic are both un dropable, the perfect CH pairing... and yet... We have threads worrying about our defence where hundreds agree... We have match threads that disappear into dispair as we as team have a collective brain fart and ship two easy goals.

Goldson and Katic are both great CHs but there is no reason they can't be pushed to be better or that we can't improve on them.

I am only 47 but all the great Rangers teams I remember were built on defenders carved from Teak. Walter could have this four we currently have and still need another two as starters depending on the opposition.

We have four good CHs. It isn't a problem ffs, it's an asset. One we will employ throughout the season and then some.

We don't need to panic, they will all see plenty of football. Let's enjoy this position of strength and luxuriate (the red wine is kicking in, not every day I use luxuriate in a ff post :p) in it and not fret about who gets what minutes on the park.
Great comment. I agree 100%

bpfurian

Goldson and katic are both playing well, the other two will have to be exceptional when given game time,to be picked before them.
Its a nice problem for the gaffer to have and over the course of the season all four will feature due to the inevitable injuries and suspensions.

baystatebear

Re. centre half pairings, i mentioned in another post that a combination of Katic - who is big and very good in the air - and Helender, also good in the air, and who is also physically very tall, would be potentially devastating at corners and set pieces. I'd imagine hey'd be the stuff of nightmares for defences.

Sandbear

He will play against St Mirren I’m sure , I really like Edmunson as well he looks like a footballing centerback hopefully they both get game time.

Thommo2006

All 4 will get plenty of game time and will be used in certain games for example wouldn't surprise me to see katic and helander play against a long ball team like the sheep.

I am happy that we have 4 centre backs who can come in and do the job rather than worrying who will replace goldson or katic

ferris72

Even without loss of form centre backs invariably suffer through injury or suspension, it's the nature of the position. Add to that Europa League Group Stages (fingers crossed) he'll get his chances.
Were any of our centre halfs suspended at any point last season?

themightyi

Official Ticketer
As others have said I reckon he’ll start against St Mirren.

A good performance in that game and he’ll have the starting position alongside Goldson for the foreseeable future imo.

bloo1872

There's a long season in front of us with fatigue, injuries and suspensions all going to have an effect at stages in it. No reason right now to drop either Goldson or Katic.

karanja

I've just got the feeling that Edmundson is going to be the best of the 4 CB's we have.Neither of the 2 yesterday did much wrong so we are in a good position.I wonder if Helander could be an option at LB.

SuperGers07

As do I. However Katic has done precious little wrong so far so he may have to wait until Katic either has a bad game or picks up an injury.
Look what dropping Katic in favour of that dud Worrall done for his confidence last season.

Katic has the shirt until such times as he's not performing as he has been.

Growler

Official Ticketer
We have had 4 proper fixtures, and conceded 5. I can see him starting on Thursday ahead of Katic.

Really loving our 4 current options but we know how Gerrard operates.

Parade_Bear

Got to laugh at all comments saying he will be replacing Katic based on a couple of performances against poor opposition.

Barring the Hibs game I think it was, Katic has looked head and shoulders above Goldson so if anybody should be dropped I think he should be first.

We are in a great position though to have 4 centre halves who look to have real quality and I’m sure all will get plenty of game time over the course of the season, but for now our current pairing deserve to be playing any game of real importance.

makey

if we qualify he will get his chance. Loads of games 2 a week till xmas just about. It will be a case of keeping them fresh and fit, I wouldn't chance it just just as pair at moment are fit and playing great. But over next few weeks I can see him just resting and rotating them around , just like the midfield.

WATP

There is no doubt it’s the one area we are spoiled for choice .

We now have four young hungry excellent centre halves with different attributes .

Goldson - leader , great game anticipation , consistency, threat from corners

Katic - huge goal threat in opposition box , rarely beaten in the air , hard as nails

Edmunsen - best long range passer of the four , good in the air , quick and determined

Helmander - composure , positioning A1, serie A experience, international class giant

My guess is soon helmander and goldson will be the preferred pairing but if we have a successful season there’s nothing to say all 4 can’t play over 30 games each
Helander and Katic imho

With yesterdays cup game aside, when Gerrard has rotated the team after qualifiers, he seems to make changes everywhere except for defence. Tav, Goldson, Katic, Flannagan seems to be the preferred starting back 4. Maybe a little bit of reflection on last year when we were losing soft goals and rotating players in and out, that Gerrard wants to keep that back line as settled as possible.
Provided we progress in Europe, there will be plenty opportunities, not just for Helander, but also for Edmundson, who has impressed whenever i have seen him. Top clubs should have a second XI that can deal with lower league teams comfortably. The team v East Fife would probably give most lower league SPL teams a beating aswell.

Potnbear

I think it will depend on what type of game its is. If its an open game then Helander and Edmundson look better with distribution to keep the game flowing

Its-Sebo

He’ll take Katic’s place. You’ll read about Katic making mistakes as a result of being young and inexperienced despite his partner arguably making more of those gaffs.

Goldson barely puts a foot wrong

OZ1872

Hellander needs to be patient and be ready to step in and fight for his place when the opportunity arises.

dt17

I reckon as soon as Katic has a bit of an off game or makes one mistake he'll be dropped.

Same happened last season with Worrall (wrongly).

RabSpackman

It’s a long season and I would think we will see just about every combination possible at the back over the duration of it.

I’d be amazed if he gets dropped into the Bheggar match. For all that they are a poor side defensively, they score goals and chopping & changing the defence for them would be inviting trouble.

brain

We're paying a lot of money for the privilege of having strong depth so we should use it. Helander should play at St Mirren. It's 3 days after a very tough game in Warsaw after all. When are we going to use our squad if not at times like these?

Ter

I'd play Goldson and Katic against Legia Warsaw then bring in Edmundson and Helander for the St Mirren game to rest up for the return leg.

HandsomeHead

He’ll have opportunities.

Either Goldson or Katic have an off day or an injury and he’ll come in. It’s then up to him to make himself undroppable.

We have real strength in depth there now where I’d be happy with any two from four.

MSF

Has he? Any gaffs been made by Goldson so far?

I could name plenty by Katic, and the fact every goal we’ve conceded this season has came from Katic & Flanagans side.