How do we give Helander more opportunities?

He will play against St Mirren I’m sure , I really like Edmunson as well he looks like a footballing centerback hopefully they both get game time.

All 4 will get plenty of game time and will be used in certain games for example wouldn't surprise me to see katic and helander play against a long ball team like the sheep.

I am happy that we have 4 centre backs who can come in and do the job rather than worrying who will replace goldson or katic

Even without loss of form centre backs invariably suffer through injury or suspension, it's the nature of the position. Add to that Europa League Group Stages (fingers crossed) he'll get his chances.
Were any of our centre halfs suspended at any point last season?

As others have said I reckon he’ll start against St Mirren.

A good performance in that game and he’ll have the starting position alongside Goldson for the foreseeable future imo.

There's a long season in front of us with fatigue, injuries and suspensions all going to have an effect at stages in it. No reason right now to drop either Goldson or Katic.

I've just got the feeling that Edmundson is going to be the best of the 4 CB's we have.Neither of the 2 yesterday did much wrong so we are in a good position.I wonder if Helander could be an option at LB.

As do I. However Katic has done precious little wrong so far so he may have to wait until Katic either has a bad game or picks up an injury.

Look what dropping Katic in favour of that dud Worrall done for his confidence last season.

Katic has the shirt until such times as he's not performing as he has been.

We have had 4 proper fixtures, and conceded 5. I can see him starting on Thursday ahead of Katic.

Really loving our 4 current options but we know how Gerrard operates.

Got to laugh at all comments saying he will be replacing Katic based on a couple of performances against poor opposition.

Barring the Hibs game I think it was, Katic has looked head and shoulders above Goldson so if anybody should be dropped I think he should be first.

We are in a great position though to have 4 centre halves who look to have real quality and I’m sure all will get plenty of game time over the course of the season, but for now our current pairing deserve to be playing any game of real importance.

if we qualify he will get his chance. Loads of games 2 a week till xmas just about. It will be a case of keeping them fresh and fit, I wouldn't chance it just just as pair at moment are fit and playing great. But over next few weeks I can see him just resting and rotating them around , just like the midfield.

There is no doubt it’s the one area we are spoiled for choice .

We now have four young hungry excellent centre halves with different attributes .

Goldson - leader , great game anticipation , consistency, threat from corners

Katic - huge goal threat in opposition box , rarely beaten in the air , hard as nails

Edmunsen - best long range passer of the four , good in the air , quick and determined

Helmander - composure , positioning A1, serie A experience, international class giant

My guess is soon helmander and goldson will be the preferred pairing but if we have a successful season there’s nothing to say all 4 can’t play over 30 games each
Helander and Katic imho

With yesterdays cup game aside, when Gerrard has rotated the team after qualifiers, he seems to make changes everywhere except for defence. Tav, Goldson, Katic, Flannagan seems to be the preferred starting back 4. Maybe a little bit of reflection on last year when we were losing soft goals and rotating players in and out, that Gerrard wants to keep that back line as settled as possible.
Provided we progress in Europe, there will be plenty opportunities, not just for Helander, but also for Edmundson, who has impressed whenever i have seen him. Top clubs should have a second XI that can deal with lower league teams comfortably. The team v East Fife would probably give most lower league SPL teams a beating aswell.

I think it will depend on what type of game its is. If its an open game then Helander and Edmundson look better with distribution to keep the game flowing

He’ll take Katic’s place. You’ll read about Katic making mistakes as a result of being young and inexperienced despite his partner arguably making more of those gaffs.

Either way, we’re spoiled for choice when it comes to centre backs.

Goldson barely puts a foot wrong

Hellander needs to be patient and be ready to step in and fight for his place when the opportunity arises.

I reckon as soon as Katic has a bit of an off game or makes one mistake he'll be dropped.

Same happened last season with Worrall (wrongly).

It’s a long season and I would think we will see just about every combination possible at the back over the duration of it.

I’d be amazed if he gets dropped into the Bheggar match. For all that they are a poor side defensively, they score goals and chopping & changing the defence for them would be inviting trouble.

We're paying a lot of money for the privilege of having strong depth so we should use it. Helander should play at St Mirren. It's 3 days after a very tough game in Warsaw after all. When are we going to use our squad if not at times like these?

I'd play Goldson and Katic against Legia Warsaw then bring in Edmundson and Helander for the St Mirren game to rest up for the return leg.

He’ll have opportunities.

Either Goldson or Katic have an off day or an injury and he’ll come in. It’s then up to him to make himself undroppable.

We have real strength in depth there now where I’d be happy with any two from four.

He’ll take Katic’s place. You’ll read about Katic making mistakes as a result of being young and inexperienced despite his partner arguably making more of those gaffs.

Either way, we’re spoiled for choice when it comes to centre backs.
Has he? Any gaffs been made by Goldson so far?

I could name plenty by Katic, and the fact every goal we’ve conceded this season has came from Katic & Flanagans side.

He'll get games. I expect him to start against St Mirren.

We seem to one of the only fans who seem to want a starting 11 and that cannot be changed at all unless it's due to injuries.

All the top teams have player rotation and no one batters an eyelid about it. If we qualify for the group stages of the EL and want to win the two domestic cups this season we're going to have a near 60 game season.

I could name plenty by Katic, and the fact every goal we’ve conceded this season has came from Katic & Flanagans side.

Last season Goldson had quite a few howlers actually but Katic seemed to get the brunt of it.

The Moscow game was one of the worst performances by a defender I can remember, Goldson was all over the place that night.

Last season Goldson had quite a few howlers actually but Katic seemed to get the brunt of it.

The Moscow game was one of the worst performances by a defender I can remember, Goldson was all over the place that night.
The full defence was shocking that night, Katic & Flanagan were far worse than Goldson.

He’ll play when our first choice are unavailable or need rested.

There’s no reason to shoehorn in a player just because he cost big money. He’ll be an important part of the squad I’m sure. But our first pick centre halves are undroppable at present. Would be crazy to unsettle that.

Goldson wasn't even the worst that night

As much as katic and goldson are doing fine, SG mentioned he wanted more clean sheets.
Helander is not totally match fit yet, so he will come in.
I get the clean sheet s that SG stated, we wont always be able to pummel teams and not bother about letting a goal or two in.

Play him at left back v St Mirren, or as part of a back 3.
The back 3 thing isn't a good idea. I'm sure Gerrard said he wanted 2 players in every position, so that would be 6 centre half's basically. Maybe on a rare occasion he can use it during games. Also, he's not a left back. He's an international centre half. He's been brought in for good money, I'm certain he'll be a first choice.

The full defence was shocking that night, Katic & Flanagan were far worse than Goldson.

Flanagan maybe, Katic no.

Goldson was truly horrific that night and capped it off with a poor OG.

Katic was the whipping boy for a while last season which was one of Gerrard's biggest mistakes since becoming manager IMO.

He dropped him for no reason to shoehorn Worrall into the team, brought him back in and subbed him at half time one game when he wasn't even that bad...no chance he would've done that with Goldson or Worrall.

Flanagan maybe, Katic no.

Goldson was truly horrific that night and capped it off with a poor OG.

Katic was the whipping boy for a while last season which was one of Gerrard's biggest mistakes since becoming manager IMO.

He dropped him for no reason to shoehorn Worrall into the team, brought him back in and subbed him at half time one game when he wasn't even that bad...no chance he would've done that with Goldson or Worrall.
I'm convinced that Worrall had to play a certain number of games due to the loan deal, I refuse to believe that a player of Gerrards standard couldn't see how brutal he was

I'm convinced that Worrall had to play a certain number of games due to the loan deal, I refuse to believe that a player of Gerrards standard couldn't see how brutal he was

Ach, this old chestnut.:rolleyes:

What you are actually choosing to believe is that Gerrard would jeopardise his fledgling career in management, and any future prospect of the Liverpool job, by choosing to select an ‘inferior’ player in order to save Rangers - at the very worst - a hundred grand or so in loan penalties. It’s such a nonsensical argument that I find it astonishing that this debate keeps coming up. At that point in time Gerrard felt Worrall was the better option. It really is that simple.

Forest had a clause that allowed them to recall Worrall, if they chose to do so, if he didn’t feature in 19 games before Christmas. As far as we are aware that was the only clause applicable as part of his loan deal.

In all likelihood Katic will get dropped for Helander. How long until it becomes ‘fact’ that he’s only playing because the Board have insisted their marquee signing gets a start? We aren’t always going to agree with Gerrard’s selections but let’s not turn everything into some weird conspiracy theory. He clearly thinks Katic still has a lot to learn.

It would really really worry me if Gerrard never learned from his mistakes shoeing in Helander when Niko and Goldson have started great again like he did with Big Joe Wirrall.

If we make Europa group stages there will be plenty of opportunities for him with us playing Thursday/Sunday.

Most fans don't understand the detail of the game really.

It's beyond mental folk think we are paying 4m for a player and not starting him.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Until form or energy levels dip for CG or NK I wouldn't be dropping either from the main 11. Well, the more played 11 if we have one. There will be plenty of opportunity this season with the amounts of games we will be playing.

Right now our squad is full of dilemmas to keep everyone match sharp and happy....and I love it!

A shocker. Maybe some utterings I heard regarding him last week were right but I just refused to believe he was struggling.

He had a good game yesterday and didn't look to be struggling at all. Think you're reading too much into it just now. If he isn't in the squad for the group stages (should we get there) I'd be concerned.

Most fans don't understand the detail of the game really.

It's beyond mental folk think we are paying 4m for a player and not starting him.

In fairness we've paid big sums (for us) in recent seasons and not started players...

Pena, Barisic, Grezda for a start.

Back