How do we line up on Thursday and Sunday

ca100

Yesterday was probably Gerrard's first choice XI as things stand at present. However we won't play the same lineup on Thursday and then Sunday, so what changes do we see being made?

For Thursday I would go with either this (Jones over Ojo)

McGregor
Tavernier Goldson Katic Barisic*
Davis Jack Aribo
Arfield Jones
Morelos​

Or this (five midfielders basically to keep the ball and supply Tav and Morelos)

McGregor
Davis Kamara Jack
Arfield Aribo
Morelos
*Hallday or Flanagan could easily replace Barisic

On Sunday I’d go with this (Hibs will have a go and I think we can use Ojo and Jones on the counter)

McGregor
Tavernier Goldson Katic Halliday
Davis Jack Aribo
Ojo Jones
Morelos​

For Thursday I would go with either this (Jones over Ojo)

McGregor
Davis Jack Aribo
Arfield Jones
Morelos​

Or this (five midfielders basically to keep the ball and supply Tav and Morelos)

McGregor
Davis Kamara Jack
Arfield Aribo
Morelos
*Hallday or Flanagan could easily replace Barisic

On Sunday I’d go with this (Hibs will have a go and I think we can use Ojo and Jones on the counter)

McGregor
Tavernier Goldson Katic Halliday
Davis Jack Aribo
Ojo Jones
Morelos​
Any team selection with Barasic included,is a big NO from me.

McGregor
Davis Kamara Jack
Arfield Aribo
Morelos

And then bring on Jones / Ojo around 65 minutes for Arfield

McGregor
Tav Goldson Katic Barasic
Davis Kamara
Arfield Aribo Jones
Morelos

McGregor
Tav Goldson Edmundson Halliday
Jack Kamara Aribo
Ojo Arfield
Defoe

On Thursday I’d go:

McGregor
Tav Goldson Katic Flanagan
Jack Davis Aribo
Ojo Arfield
Morelos

Its too early to say for Sunday.

On Thursday I’d go:

McGregor
Tav Goldson Katic Flanagan
Jack Davis Aribo
Ojo Arfield
Morelos

Its too early to say for Sunday.

Flanagan ? Bring a guy who hardly played and not 100% fit into our toughest fixture yet this season? No chance will he start.

Thursday:
McGregor
Tav Goldson Katic Halliday
Jack davis
Aribo Arfield Jones
Morelos

Sunday:
McGregor
Kamara Jack
Doc Arfield Ojo
Defoe

Thursday;

McGregor
Tav Goldson Edmunson Halliday
Jack Kamara Aribo
Arfield Jones
Morelos

Sunday;

McGregor
Tav Goldson Katic Halliday
Jack Davis Aribo
Arfield Jones
Morelos

McGregor
Kamara Davis Aribo
Jones Ojo
Morelos

McGregor
Tav Goldson Edmundson Haliday
Kamara Jack Aribo
Arfield Ojo
Defoe
Don’t want to risk Davis’ hamstring with 3 games in 8 days. Though too early to tell for Sunday

Thursday

Shagger Tav Goldson Katic Haliday Kamara Jack Aribo
Jones Morelos Arfield.

Sunday? Davis for Kamara
Ojo for Jones

Not sure how we will go. Our players don't really fit in to the system we play. I'm seeing line-ups with no Davis? Would be madness not to utilise his quality and experience in a game like this imo.

Jack will start, Gerrard trusts him. I wouldn't be shocked if Aribo is left out of this one. I'm not sure he's got the defensive attributes. I think it will be one of the two teams below. First team I think is most likely but the only real pace in the team is Jones which is a concern.

5d48d4d3669e8.jpg

5d48d34c76e33.jpg

Im struggling to choose a team. Ojo should be dropped, Jones should come in.

The midfield hasnt got a balance to it yet. I hope we click soon, Starting on Thursday night.

Not many people shouting for Docherty. I'd have him ahead of a clearly tired Arfield for both games.

I like Arfield but that pre-season carry on with Canada is not good at his age, it's showing already. We need to manage him carefully this season.

Not many people shouting for Docherty. I'd have him ahead of a clearly tired Arfield for both games.

I like Arfield but that pre-season carry on with Canada is not good at his age, it's showing already. We need to manage him carefully this season.

Totally agree. He's looked a bit weary the last couple of games.

Not suggesting for these upcoming two games, but does anyone think we'll see a back three this season? Would solve the Barasic issue. I can see this working in some games:

McGregor

Helander
Goldson
Katic/Edmundson

Jones
Davis
Jack
Arfield
Aribo
Tav

Morelos

Mmmm. Other than Morelos, Arfield and Davis are the 2 best players available and they need to be managed carefully? Is that not a worry?

Thursday

McGregor

Tav
Goldson
Katic
Barasic

Davis
Jack
Kamara

Aribo
Arfield

Morelos

That midfield 5 should give us the best chance to dominate possession and allow the full backs to push up for width

Sunday

McGregor

Tav
Goldson
Edmundson
Halliday

Jack
Kamara
Aribo

Ojo
Jones

Defoe

Think we need to manage Davis and Arfield to keep them fresh, home league fixtures feel like the best time to do this for me. Lots of pace and movement in that front 3

FC Midtjylland

McGregor
Tavernier Goldson Katić Barišić
Davis Kamara Aribo
*This is where I struggle as attacking options are poor
Ojo Morelos Jones
Can't really look past this game as don't know who will be fit and available. I'm not one for wholesale changes. Especially in defence or midfield.

McGregor
Tav goldson Katic Barisic
Jack Davis Aribo
Arfield Ojo
Morelos

McGregor
Tav goldson Edmundson Halliday
Jack Kamara Aribo
Arfield Jones
Defoe

Mmmm. Other than Morelos, Arfield and Davis are the 2 best players available and they need to be managed carefully? Is that not a worry?

Yes it is a worry. I fear people are brushing over the last two performances far too quickly.

There needs to be an urgent change as our good fortune won't last.

Yes it is a worry. I fear people are brushing over the last two performances far too quickly.

There needs to be an urgent change as our good fortune won't last.

I am not too concerned about the last two performances;

During pre season when football was played on slick watered surfaces against teams that actually wanted to play football we looked to be progressing nicely...Cohesive, pacy and with quick transitions from defence to attack.

The last two games were played on ultra slow surfaces, progres choosing not to water the pitch, hammer throw and use an over inflated non standard ball. Kilmarnock’s new pitch is even worse than its threadbare old pitch, it was noticeable that our normally pacy full backs were struggling all afternoon.

Kilmarnock’s usual counter attacking game was utterly negated by their own pitch which I believe ultimately cost them against the Welsh in Europa league qualifying. (Pitch takes all the pace and precision out of the game) When all is said and done three points was everything and we will not be the only team to suffer on that shitty surface.

I think Ojo and Aribo coupled with Morelos will offer more than enough movement and flair against a Danish team who will actually want to play football.

McGregor Tav Goldson Katic Barisic Davis, Jack Kamara Aribo, Ojo, Morelos

For Sunday;

McGregor, Tav, Edmundson, Katic, Barisic, Jack, Davis, Aribo, Arfield, jones, Defoe

Last edited:

During pre season when football was played on slick watered surfaces against teams that actually wanted to play football we looked to be progressing nicely...Cohesive, pacy and with quick transitions from defence to attack.

The last two games were played on ultra slow surfaces, progres choosing not to water the pitch, hammer throw and use an over inflated non standard ball. Kilmarnock’s new pitch is even worse than its threadbare old pitch, it was noticeable that our normally pacy full backs were struggling all afternoon.

Kilmarnock’s usual counter attacking game was utterly negated by their own pitch which I believe ultimately cost them against the Welsh in Europa league qualifying. (Pitch takes all the pace and precision out of the game) When all is said and done three points was everything and we will not be the only team to suffer on that shitty surface.

I think Ojo and Aribo coupled with Morelos will offer more than enough movement and flair against a Danish team who will actually want to play football.

For Sunday;

McGregor, Tav, Edmundson, Katic, Barisic, Jack, Davis, Aribo, Arfield, jones, Defoe

good point regarding the pitch at Ibrox being so good. Why Defoe over Morelos on Sunday? He will lead the line Thursday

good point regarding the pitch at Ibrox being so good. Why Defoe over Morelos on Sunday? He will lead the line Thursday

I think Morelos will be negated by Sunday’s referee as he was by Collum at Kilmarnock and given it will be a tough physical encounter I would be inclined to keep Alfie on the bench. The guy is refereed to a scarily different standard than the central defenders he faces and to that end I feel hugely frustrated for him.

On Thursday grafters will be needed.
That coints Ojo out for me, I would have Arfield right and Jones left of a front three.
I think Defoe will get the nod up front.

On Thursday:

McGregor
Tav Goldson Katic Barisic
Jack Davis Kamara
Arfield Morelos Aribo

On Sunday:

McGregor
Tav Goldson Katic Barisic
Arfield Davis Aribo
Ojo Morelos Jones

For Sunday;

You make the point that we look good against teams on great surfaces that want to play good football.

This doesn't help us much with domestic league football, generally playing on bumpy (or plastic pitches) against hammer throwers who sit back.

That's where we need to find a way to win and raise our game. Because if we don't, this is going to be a long season.

You make the point that we look good against teams on great surfaces that want to play good football.

This doesn't help us much with domestic league football, generally playing on bumpy (or plastic pitches) against hammer throwers who sit back.

That's where we need to find a way to win and raise our game. Because if we don't, this is going to be a long season.
Your right but these two pitches especially Progres are two of the worse, to be fair to the teams a lot of them have there pitches in good nick, Aberdeens looks very good Motherwells is always good, Hibs hearts good surfaces, just your Livi and Kilmarnock we struggle on but so will most teams

Everyone including shame struggled at Killie and Livingston, perversely Hamilton tends to be a five goal romp. The rest of the pitches are pretty decent and players will have to accept that despite shames faux dominance Rangers are the team everyone wants to beat.

A long, arduous season awaits, with as we have seen from the opening weekend, everyone and everything militated against us...Which will make 55 all the sweeter should we achieve it.

I thought Davis looked tired and struggling on Sunday.

Arfield looks shattered post summer. Which worries me actually. He’s not a kid anymore. Having a tournament slammed between two sets of 60 game seasons isn’t ideal. Can’t help but feel he’ll suffer for it.

Jones had a freshness. I’d go with him for Ojo for sure.

Reports that this team are very strong down their right hand side are worrying.We need to play Flannigan if fit with Jones in front of him to to help out.Halliday if Flannigan is unfit.

Thursday

McGregor

Tav Goldson Edmundson Barisic

Jack Kamara Docherty

Stewart Aribo

Defoe

Sunday

McGregor

Tav Goldson Katic Haliday

Jack Davis Aribo

Ojo Morelos Jones

However long our Thurs-Sun schedule continues I want 6/7 changes for each game. We need to keep the team fresh.

Arfield used off the bench when needed for these 2 games. He absolutely looks tired at the moment.

Some have already pointed this out, but I’d go with Morelos for Thursday with two wide players and save Defoe and Arfield for Sunday.

McGregor
Davis Kamara
Arfield Aribo Jones
Morelos

McGregor
Jack Kamara Aribo
Ojo Arfield
Defoe
I would not play Arfield in the team at the moment apart from the goal on Sunday he is off the pace in games, whether playing extra games for Canada has done it I don't know but he is contributing little at the moment

We are starting a tough schedule so we must play to our strengths and tactics in these next 2. Solid against Midjityland and have more attackers vs Hibs as they will try and frustrate us although not on a level like Kilmarnock

Vs Midjityland

McGregor
Tav
Barisic ... only if jones infront of him as we have no width if we dont
Goldson
Katic
Kamara
Davis
Jack
Jones
Arfield
Morelos