Article How do you solve a problem like Morelos?

I would agree, however that would be in the medium term. We need to try and get him firing in the short term. That’s down to the coaching staff and Morelos himself and I’m hoping that a solution can be found. There’s a lot of important and big matches to be played until the end of the year, a cup to win and to also try to extend the lead in the league.

The league will be down to fine margins, can we get Morelos firing, can Kent rediscover his form where he’s unplayable, can Jack contribute and play a certain number of games? For me, if we can get these issues right then I’ll feel really confident. Walter Smith was a master at getting players to perform when struggling, let’s see if Gerrard can have the same impact.

Good article Alistair.

We are looking a little shaky at the back this (compared with last) however its lack of goals that is the biggest issue we are facing imo. If you consider the chances we created against Motherwell and Hearts alone, to only score 2 is criminal.

Interesting point about Defoe. Everyone is looking at the unbelievable miss in the second half from Alfie but, the one in the first half that he dragged wide is the sort of 'one touch and finish' you really associate with JD. I do wonder if he has been left out for too long now to be able to come back and make an impact?

Alfredo still adds a lot to the team, his work off the ball and hold up play is very good and his IS getting into fantastic positions but, for whatever reason he is struggling to stick the ball away. A spot on the bench to take a bit of pressure off isnt a bad thing. Every striker goes through lean spells, unfortunately for us he has found his at the very time we need his goals the most.

Unbelievable miss? I thought Alex Rae called it right that Alfie was stretching if we are talking about pass from Roofe but thats imo? I would add that a couple of his shots were last ditch blocks though he should have scored the one going across the keeper from left to right 1st half!

Lucky we didn't sell Super Ally when he missed loads of chances, should we sell others who miss chances too going by this thread? We were in front and dropped points because the defending was not good enough regardless of Allan fluffing a cross!

Time and time again hearts were allowed to cross the ball mostly from the left and warning signals were there when they came through the middle too! Wonder if those who want to sell Alfie want to sell our defence too when we are not playing as well as we could like last season?

Criticising is fair enough and nobody is or should be above it but many players have not reached last seasons level yet if going by some of the reactions on here are to go by then we should be selling quite a few players?

For all the players dips in form we are up there and that first half was one of our bests this season and showed a glimpse of what we are capable of its just unfortunate that for some reason we cannot seem to keep it up for the 90 or finish the game early with a few goals to take the wind out of our opposition but hopefully that will come with what and who we have to work with?

If he wants to go , sell him . Personally I think he should’ve been sold last august ‘20. In January we need a striker , a poacher , not a playmaker , a good old fashioned box striker . Fashion and Roooooofe need a consistent run in the team . For me it’s the bench for morelos

Started a thread with the same title roughly 2 years ago on the old board IIRC and was roundly lambasted for it. My point then was his disciplinary record etc weren't worth the hassle. Now, he looks like he needs a rocket up his arse and I've said many times we need to deploy him in and around the box for a while not dropping deep regularly, get him fighting (not literally Alfie) with defences again on a regular basis.

Good article Alistair.

We are looking a little shaky at the back this (compared with last) however its lack of goals that is the biggest issue we are facing imo. If you consider the chances we created against Motherwell and Hearts alone, to only score 2 is criminal.

Interesting point about Defoe. Everyone is looking at the unbelievable miss in the second half from Alfie but, the one in the first half that he dragged wide is the sort of 'one touch and finish' you really associate with JD. I do wonder if he has been left out for too long now to be able to come back and make an impact?

Alfredo still adds a lot to the team, his work off the ball and hold up play is very good and his IS getting into fantastic positions but, for whatever reason he is struggling to stick the ball away. A spot on the bench to take a bit of pressure off isnt a bad thing. Every striker goes through lean spells, unfortunately for us he has found his at the very time we need his goals the most.

I dont think he does get into good scoring positions. He very rarely attacks the front post and more often than not he's marked when our numerous crosses come into the box. A shadow of the player he was in his first two seasons.

No one seems to want to meet our valuation. Do we drop it to get rid or do we persist with him until he's on form again?
When his stock was at its highest during the January ‘20 window, there still weren’t any bids meeting our evaluation.

It’ll have dropped significantly since then yet still no one appears tempted.

The reason for that is the fact no one has ever really wanted to face up to on here: namely, that while at his best he can be almost unplayable at times, just as often he looks lazy, disinterested and with a distinct lack of composure in front of goal.

I think there will be a point in the season when he suddenly clicks into gear again and it could just be the impetus we need to drive us on towards the title, but I really do think we need to look towards life without Alfie now and set our sights on finding someone that will hopefully be more consistently reliable.

Stop trying to play like Liverpool with our main striker dropping off we have enough players “involved in the build up “ let him play as a number 9, tie up CB n score goals.

He’s out on either wing, in midfield etc. Everywhere we don’t want him to be. Get him told to stay central and bully defenders like he always does. The goals will come back.

I never pay attention to his demeanour either, he’s happy here.

When his stock was at its highest during the January ‘20 window, there still weren’t any bids meeting our evaluation.

It’ll have dropped significantly since then yet still no one appears tempted.

The reason for that is the fact no one has ever really wanted to face up to on here: namely, that while at his best he can be almost unplayable at times, just as often he looks lazy, disinterested and with a distinct lack of composure in front of goal.

I think there will be a point in the season when he suddenly clicks into gear again and it could just be the impetus we need to drive us on towards the title, but I really do think we need to look towards life without Alfie now and set our sights on finding someone that will hopefully be more consistently reliable.
I agree with your whole post.

I'm not interested in hearing how he's improved his all round play.
Dropping deep, holding the ball up, bringing others into play.
Just get him in the box, terrorising the centre half's and scoring goals again.

I dont think he does get into good scoring positions. He very rarely attacks the front post and more often than not he's marked when our numerous crosses come into the box. A shadow of the player he was in his first two seasons.

Disagree with this mate. I genuinely think he has evolved as a player. The amount he does off the ball creates a lot of space for our front 6.

Issue with that though is, we need to be finishing chances off which we aren't so he is naturally getting it in the neck.

People asking for him to be sold, I just can't fathom tbh. All about opinions though.

I’d be happy for him to go as long as the price is right. If clubs think they can get him cheap due to the Scottish club factor they can do one!

If he's not playing well, play Roofe, Sakala or Defoe, don't see why there is a problem. Sure it means we cannot play it long to the centre forward so much but we have to adapt. See if Alfie hits the net v Brondby.

Poachers score goals. Ralph Brand, Jim Forrest and Ally. They stayed in the opposition's penalty box and didn't run all over the place like a demented chicken.

Put Defoe there and he will score goals.

Not sure if it is just my perception, but to me it feels like the spells where he is not on his game are becoming more frequent and lasting longer. Can't remember the last time he looked on fire, and utterly unplayable.

Get him back on it, He's a great player on his day, All players have dips, he's no different

His “dips” are becoming more prevalent though and that’s the issue. He doesn’t want to be here I think that’s clear, and unfortunately that’s affecting his performances it seems.

It's more than a bit worrying that over 3 years into Gerrard's reign, we still haven't worked out another system to play when Morelos isn't on form.
Its a good point.

We go through the whole team asking whats went wrong with him, well change our style of football and you might well see most of them get back to something like their best. 2 strikers should play in the middle and yes 4-4-2 would be perfect for St M.

We need to get him firing then sell. If you look at his body shape in 2019 I think that says a lot about why he was so prolific in that year. He has bulked up and we need to get him slimmed down again. It will give him an extra half yard.

Part of the change of role in the team to become more involved in play/dropping back etc was to get him out of confrontations with jobber defenders who would niggle him. As he's done that I feel the edge has gone out his game. He needs that back and the team will benefit. That said, he also needs to maintain his composure and that newfound maturity not to get involved in shite.

If he's dropping back into areas like that, when we play the sheep next Wednesday he will be right in the same areas Brown occupies. Playing him further forward will draw Brown out of position more and make some space in the danger areas letting the likes of Hagi or Aribo have a little more room to create chances.

I'm not interested in hearing how he's improved his all round play.
Dropping deep, holding the ball up, bringing others into play.
Just get him in the box, terrorising the centre half's and scoring goals again.
two ways i think this has came from.

Either Gerrard wants this from him which is entirely possible as Klopp uses Firminho this way.

Or when he is being touted around clubs by his agent a fair few of the clubs have prob given the message that they need more than just goals, his all round game needs to improve. And he has ben trying to develop this side of his game?

Just my theories.

Back