How does Gerrard motivate the team for this massive week?

RenfrewGer98

Given the current league situation, this coming week is massive.
It is obviously not realistic to assume we will win the Europa League, but progressing in it will obviously help massively in terms of our reputation, financial targets and our ability to attract players.
The Scottish cup is now vital. We know we can outplay them in a one off game, so the idea of us winning that is not far fetched. It is also our only realistic chance now of silverware.
My question to you all today is how does Gerrard motivate a squad clearly lacking confidence and togetherness at the moment for what is undoubtedly now the biggest week of his tenure so far?

These two games shouldn't be the ones that are hard to motivate players.

A chance to reach the last 16 in europe and a Scottish cup semi final. They should be self motivating.

My concern is how do you motivate them for the rest of our league games and old firm games knowing they've left themselves nothing to play for undoing the hard work.

And how do you motivate your centre backs who you've publicly called out as not good enough?

Gerrards dug himself a tough hole to get out of here.

The manager made a huge mistake in his post match interview in referring to Helander. It was a rookies mistake and while understandable given what he'd just witnessed it'll backfire on him.
He'll have a big problem re motivation on Wednesday.
He has to show he has the courage of his conviction and draft Edmondson in at CB, anything else at he's a laughing stock.
Dug himself into a bit of a hole.

He tells them that whilst this season is looking difficult now in terms of the league, the demands are that we finish it strongly, and the expectation is that they will take stock and strengthen over the summer to put ourselves in a better position for next season. And that he wants those players to be with him on that journey. But that it's in their hands as to whether or not they are up for it, as right now they are falling short. If they want to be winning things, playing in front of 50,000 every week and the opportunity to show what they can do in Europe then time is running out and its up to them to show the deserve to be there.

Shape up or ship out.

The manager made a huge mistake in his post match interview in referring to Helander. It was a rookies mistake and while understandable given what he'd just witnessed it'll backfire on him.
He'll have a big problem re motivation on Wednesday.
He has to show he has the courage of his conviction and draft Edmondson in at CB, anything else at he's a laughing stock.
Dug himself into a bit of a hole.
Agree.

All he had to say was, with the amount of games we’re playing - weekend/midweek/weekend/midweek and the heavy pitches, we really could do with our injured players (Helander, Defoe etc) back ASAP to allow us to rest individuals who are feeling the effects.

No need to throw anyone under a bus.

Not sure he can.

We can all name the probable back four and the probable front three for both games, with the system more than likely to be the same.

A big, fresh tactical switch to suit the players might generate some fresh impetus again, but it just looks like it’s gone from both players and manager.

We have a captain that can't motivate his team mates either along with the coaching staff.
Agree 100%. Said for ages that Tav is not a captain. He's not vocal enough. Look around he team and who is good/vocal enough to be captain. I can only see Arfield and McGregor.
Don't think SG gives enough encouragement from touchline .At 2-2 yesterday he is sat alongside McAllister on bench. I know Gary Mac was a great player but doesn't show enough passion for me. In fact none of them do. Our great support deserve better.

How to you motivate Katic and Goldson after publicly stating you need Helander back pronto?

Maybe he's looking for a reaction from the pair.

We've got a £3 million defender waiting to return once fit again.

It's funny how both Goldson and Katic form has nose dived knowing there places were effectively safe.

Katic in particular has taken his starting place for granted btw.

Maybe he's looking for a reaction from the pair.

We've got a £3 million defender waiting to return once fit again.

It's funny how both Goldson and Katic form has nose dived knowing there places were effectively safe.

Katic in particular has taken his starting place for granted btw.
He's stating publicly that one of them is out when Helander returns.

He is also telling Edmunson he's not currently an option to replace them.

Hopefully by not playing Katic. An utter bombscare a struggling team can do without.

Manager was spot on to call him out. A embarrassing performance by him yesterday.

Gerrard is every bit to blame as Katic for his form dropped the lad for nothing then bringing him back and dropping him fro any little mistake has made the lad a nervous wreck to make a mistake and low and behold he is panicking and making huge mistakes.

There was a throw in at 2-0 and the BT cameras were on Tav. He was shouting and bawling at someone and we came back and won 3-2. Worth a mention

Some idiot on Twitter yesterday said it's Tav's fault that Celtic will win 9 in a row and he was to blame for losing yesterday because he's captain.

I genuinely don’t know what it’s going to take to motivate these players and spur them on. It should have been the late winner against Hibs and then it definitely should have been the comeback against Braga. I don’t think anything Gerrard says is going to work either.

Some idiot on Twitter yesterday said it's Tav's fault that Celtic will win 9 in a row and he was to blame for losing yesterday because he's captain.
He's not perfect but he cops a hell of a lot of stick for a guy who's getting all the assists he gets

Hopefully by not playing Katic. An utter bombscare a struggling team can do without.

Manager was spot on to call him out. A embarrassing performance by him yesterday.

Did Gerrard call out Tavernier or Goldson when they were making costly errors?

Tavernier was dreadful for weeks, missing penalties, couldn't cross a ball, couldn't defend, constantly caught out of position and gifted the likes of Hearts and Young Boys goals.

Whilst Katić was brutal yesterday, McGregor wasn't exactly great for their first goal.

I suppose Katić either takes the criticism and turns his performances around or it has a negative affect on him and we suffer even more.

As bad as Katic was, you can guarantee Goldson will never be publicly called out like that despite producing similarly shocking performances.

Katic is Gerrards whipping boy whilst Goldson gets a free ride

He needs to motivate himself first. Most time he sits there with his puss tripping him. How about getting into the technical box and get shouting out there!

Can anyone tell me who makes the calls during a match ,is it Gerrard ,Beale, Gary Mac ? and is there any communication frm the bench to the team during a match (when we're having problems) I mean the call to sub Morelos and Hagi when we were on the up through Kamberi and Aribo was just crazy we didn't draw that match we threw 2 points away

Needs to explain to them that if they don’t fancy it this season, next season will be twice as bad. He needs players who are going to give 100% for the badge.

As bad as Katic was, you can guarantee Goldson will never be publicly called out like that despite producing similarly shocking performances.

Katic is Gerrards whipping boy whilst Goldson gets a free ride
Goldson has never had a match as bad as yesterday’s horror show from Katic, not even close.

Goldson has never had a match as bad as yesterday’s horror show from Katic, not even close.

Really? I can remember a game vs Motherwell at the start of last season (3-3 game) where he cost 2 goals and was an absolute disaster

There’s other examples if you delve deep enough

He certainly won’t motivate them by sticking his hands in his pockets, and sit in the dug out sulking, as he did when we were two down on Thursday and drawing 2-2 on Sunday.

Reactions: SSR
If it’s simply about motivating the players to better performances it should surely have kicked in after the Hearts defeat?

We’ve since dropped further points to Aberdeen, Kilmarnock and St. Johnstone and struggled pitifully to beat everyone else.

I’d suggest therefore that his powers of motivation aren’t working and that’s a very big concern indeed.

Oh the manager was spot on was he, why doesn’t he do the same with certain others players who have embarrassing performances then ?
He has plenty to pick from.

Back