How far ahead is English football to the rest of the European teams?

dunn1872

Official Ticketer
An all English Champions League final and a good chance of an all English European final tomorrow. Likes of the Spanish and Italian teams seemed to have went back the way due to COVID. Got likes of Chelsea who are a decent side but still miles off it in the English league in terms of winning it and they're totally out playing Real Madrid and not only that but look miles fitter as well. Atletico offered absolutely nothing against them too. Don't see anybody breaking the English dominance anytime soon. Outwith Bayern, there's not really any teams capable of beating the top teams in England.

Well if you listened to the circlejerk on BT sport there then you’d imagine forever.

As I said on the other thread I think Barcelona and Real will struggle to compete without outside intervention given the state of their first teams and finances.
Given they are the closest to the English sides in terms of finances I’d say that puts the EPL sides in a very good position.

I also see the “next golden generation” hype rumblings are starting on Bellingham, Sancho, Foden etc though.
I like the EPL and England would be the team I’d prefer to do well in an international competition if Scotland are out but there’s no doubting there’s a bit of amusement in the puzzled faces and bemusement when the all star European finalist providers are put out again by a country who believe ball retention is not a medical condition.

The English trolls are going to be insufferable for the next year.

IMO the standard of football is at a low just now. Just look at the 2 sides playing tonight in comparison to some of the great CL sides.

England has the money, so naturally they should always be there or there abouts but it does go in cycles.

PGS would hump Man United.

Bayern would take 4 off them.

Bayern everyone fit would be City easy

Truth be told better sides have been knocked out than those two tonight.

Real haven't been very good this season. Chelsea are well drilled but without being spectacular.

I'd fancy PSG, Barca and Bayern to beat them if they were to play tbh.

Amazing the difference an elite centre half makes at that level. Arguably the most important link in the chain at the top level. Liverpool didn't look like winning anything pre van dijk and ruben dias has turned city into a different animal

Nobody would beat City 'easy'.

They completely outclassed a very good PSG side...
I thought PGS were excellent against City for an hour and lost heart after City scored a cross

Second goal in Paris is lucky as well

Bayern would beat City

English, Spanish, German , Italian and to a lesser extent France. Five cheeks of the same arse where money buys this trophy every year for the foreseeable future. That's the real depressing fact. The new set up guarantees that even more.

It's clear the top two in Spain are in a rebuilding phase with little to no money to do so. They have wasted so much money that it might do them good to eat a large portion of humble pie in the coming years because their domination looks to be coming to an end.

Bayern are probably the best team in Europe on their day but I said at the start of the season that defence was going to cost them at some point and it has. Whatever you think of German football it is run properly but at some point their model is going to hold their big clubs back in Europe.

PSG have played brilliantly in some games but seem to rely too heavily on one or two players being fit and on their game.

Amazing the difference an elite centre half makes at that level. Arguably the most important link in the chain at the top level. Liverpool didn't look like winning anything pre van dijk and ruben dias has turned city into a different animal
Thats a great point, city have always looked like they could score goals but were always likely to concede, he is a defender who wants to defend first and foremost that isn't that common these days

An all English Champions League final and a good chance of an all English European final tomorrow. Likes of the Spanish and Italian teams seemed to have went back the way due to COVID. Got likes of Chelsea who are a decent side but still miles off it in the English league in terms of winning it and they're totally out playing Real Madrid and not only that but look miles fitter as well. Atletico offered absolutely nothing against them too. Don't see anybody breaking the English dominance anytime soon. Outwith Bayern, there's not really any teams capable of beating the top teams in England.
Eh?

since 2011 8 reps from Spain and 6 winners, England 2&3, Germany 2 & 2, in CL
In Europa, Spain 6& 1, England 3 & 2, Portugal 1 & 3.

Aye, they are dominating mate.

Eh?

since 2011 8 reps from Spain and 6 winners, England 2&3, Germany 2 & 2, in CL
In Europa, Spain 6& 1, England 3 & 2, Portugal 1 & 3.

Aye, they are dominating mate.
It's quite obvious I'm talking about currently this season and going forward. The Spanish and Italian teams have went back the way massively this season and with COVID and crippling debts for some of the bigger teams like Barca and Real Madrid, it's going to take a big rebuilding job. Man City were totally dominant over PSG(1st leg 1st half aside). Chelsea who are fighting for a top 4 spot were comfortable in both legs against one of footballs super powers.

It's quite obvious I'm talking about currently this season and going forward. The Spanish and Italian teams have went back the way massively this season and with COVID and crippling debts for some of the bigger teams like Barca and Real Madrid, it's going to take a big rebuilding job. Man City were totally dominant over PSG(1st leg 1st half aside). Chelsea who are fighting for a top 4 spot were comfortable in both legs against one of footballs super powers.

Oh, so one season dominance?
okay. i get you now.

It's clear the top two in Spain are in a rebuilding phase with little to no money to do so. They have wasted so much money that it might do them good to eat a large portion of humble pie in the coming years because their domination looks to be coming to an end.

Bayern are probably the best team in Europe on their day but I said at the start of the season that defence was going to cost them at some point and it has. Whatever you think of German football it is run properly but at some point their model is going to hold their big clubs back in Europe.

PSG have played brilliantly in some games but seem to rely too heavily on one or two players being fit and on their game.
I would love to see the rest of europe copying the german model, but as you say, I fear things will go the other way.

It's all about the money and the EPL is better marketed than the rest.

To be honest, the time to fight back against the cash domination, was when the world cup went to quatar.

Money so big, that all the associations have accepted the league formats that we've always lived with, being turned on its head.

Oh, so one season dominance?
okay. i get you now.
Well we'll find out next season won't we if they're still dominant but the Spanish and Italian teams are a lot more restricted compared to previous years due to their finances.

Kinda hope Bayern or somebody break their dominance next year because it sounds like it might send you over the edge if they don't.

A fully fit Bayern side is still the best in Europe IMO....Losing key players hampered them v PSG and they did miss plenty chances in both legs.

PSG are piss poor at full back and have to put up with Neymar and his fancy dan flicks. He gives the ball away more than any other PSG player. Mount, Pulisic, Foden and KdB are more effective than Neymar.

Not that far. It’s the cycle swinging back from Spain, Germany to England with the occasional Italian and outsider like PSG coming in. Been like that for years now, only Italy had more dominance in the past.

I don't think City or Chelsea are any better than their teams from recent seasons. Neither is PSG for that matter.
For me, the best teams in the continent have all got considerably worse. Real, Barcelona, Bayern, Atletico and Juventus were all significantly better than their present teams, and it's their regression that has allowed the English clubs to dominate.

Nothing to do with the thread but...

the woman on BBC sports news just said Chelsea beat Real Madrid to set up an all English final against Manchester United.

In 2018-19 English teams had 4 in the Quarter Finals and 2 in the Final. Last year it was 1 in the Quarter Finals who got knocked out. It changes frequently. There were years were Spanish teams dominated. If anything it is more competitive now as teams from England, Spain, Germany, Italy and France (PSG) could win it. Maybe even Holland if Ajax got it together properly on year.

Not a huge fan of the EPL at all, but can recognise it is a pretty decent achievement being on the cusp of having all English finals.

Man City and Chelsea have had to put out some decent teams in Athletico and PSG.

Fair fucks to them.

I hope how well Porto did is a snapshot of how we will take to it.

Football is driven by money and the gap between the Premier League's revenues and the European leagues is massive and only widening.

City are the best team in world football just now with Liverpool a distant second. After that you have Bayern, PSG and then its the likes of Real, Chelsea, Man United and potentially Inter then down to the rest it is Barca, Atletico, Juve etc.

I still think if any team lost there top 3 centre halfs they would be in liverpools position also.

Just my opinion

City are the best team in world football just now with Liverpool a distant second. After that you have Bayern, PSG and then its the likes of Real, Chelsea, Man United and potentially Inter then down to the rest it is Barca, Atletico, Juve etc.

Just my opinion
Agree with City. Liverpool would be lucky to make top 10 based on this season alone.

It’s been the poorest Champions League I can recall. Games have been absolutely dire and the fact that an average Chelsea team are in the final is reflective of that. City are a top class outfit but I don’t think there is another top team in Europe at the moment. It would be great to see the big clubs starting to go backwards and the gap closing a bit over the next few years. Wishful thinking probably but as a competition it has become dull as dishwater. Still hope we are in it all the same!

It is a money driven sport now and EPL has the most money...therefore they have best infrastructure, and coaching, and pay everyone (from scouts to players) the most money. Covid has wiped out a few more 'rivals' and the competition is now PSG and Bayern in essence...it's not genius, tactics, or the like. It's hard cash.

And if you looked at last year where just one English club made the last 8 in CL and no further, but Spain, France and Germany each had 2.

And similarly only Man U in the semis was it for Europa?

So last year we’d be saying England was miles behind France who had 2 clubs in the semi, one in the final.

If English clubs had had a sustained period of dominance this thread may have had some merit.

Last edited:
Back