How far behind are they?

They have a major rebuild on their hands.

GK - all 3 are shite
LB - One is a wee lassie on loan, the other is bang average
CB - Only decent one, Ajer, wants away. All others pish, on loan, of in duffster's case both!
RB - loan

Mid -
Only decent one in Turnbull, but has now been elevated to Xavi standard due to others being pish.
Broon - done
Christie - wants away
McGregor - had a pish season, prob wants away
Rogic, Soro..... average

Forwards
Edouard - wants away
Ajeti - fat, lazy, pish
Thumb - tik tokking junkie (allegedly..) done
Ellyanoussi - loan
Kilimalla - utter pish
Forrest - decent if he get's fit again

They also need to pick the right manager, but whoever they pick, has at least half a team to build, and that's before you look to have a strong bench, which made all the difference to our challenge this year.

They are in a total mess, which is just wonderful to witness :)
That’s my point. I’m not being “over confident” or “arrogant” they are behind now. Their club needs rebuilt from top to bottom, not just playing staff.
this isn’t a 1 or 2 window effort. They don’t have the finances to do this in 1 window, also 1 window isn’t long enough, this is going to take time, like it took us. I think it will be 2/3 years where they are on the same level as we are now.

GK - all 3 are shite
CB - Only decent one, Ajer, wants away. All others pish, on loan, of in duffster's case both!
RB - loan

Mid -
Only decent one in Turnbull, but has now been elevated to Xavi standard due to others being pish.
Broon - done
Christie - wants away
Rogic, Soro..... average

Forwards
Edouard - wants away
Ajeti - fat, lazy, pish
Ellyanoussi - loan
Kilimalla - utter pish

They also need to pick the right manager, but whoever they pick, has at least half a team to build, and that's before you look to have a strong bench, which made all the difference to our challenge this year.

Sums it up well for me. They have some massive decisions to make over the next few months that they have to get right or we could dominate for a couple of years.

Don't count on it. They will pull out all the stops.
We have to be one step ahead...at least.
You talk as if they haven’t been throwing good money after bad the last couple of years. Having money is only one piece of the puzzle. Spending it wisely is even more important. Added to which, they likely have less to spend now than at any time in the last 5-10 years due to higher costs, reduced revenues, covid, worse on field performance leading to greatly reduced prize money.

They can “pull out all the stops”, but recent evidence is they may not spend any funds, from the club or from Desmond etc, wisely

GK - all 3 are shite
RB - loan

Mid -
Broon - done
Christie - wants away
Rogic, Soro..... average

Forwards
Edouard - wants away
Ajeti - fat, lazy, pish
Ellyanoussi - loan
Kilimalla - utter pish

Yep!.

Everything is going to depend on:

1. Who their new manager is.
2. How much money he gets to spend and whether he spends it wisely.
3. Whether they can keep a couple of their better players and remotivate them.

Their demise has been greatly exaggerated IMO they still have the nucleus of a decent squad depends on what level of financial backing they get and of course what style of manager they recruit we are ahead in terms of recruitment and current squad strength but that can quickly change
Come the summer with Ajer and Edouard likely to leave and numerous loans who padded out the squad, I am not jot sure they do have the nucleus of a good squad. The transfer window could change that.

Goalkeeper they have nothing
Defence they have only Julienne in about November with Ajer expected to go
Midfield they have Turnbull and McGregor, maybe Christie if they can’t shift him.
Upfront Edouard is expected to go leaving them with nothing.

Assuming the better players who are expected to leave do leave they have literally 3 or 4 players of an acceptable standard.

We have a structure and plan that they have still to put into place at the moment so I would say all things point to us defending the league successfully next year.

As long as other teams in the SPFL are still beaten before a ball is kicked when they play that mob, it'll be the same struggle as normal for us next season. As bad as they are portrayed, they won't lose many games until the end of the this season.
That makes no sense they’ve drawn 8 and lost 4 that’s hardly beat before the ball is kicked

They are not that far behind.

With how the SPL is you can still rely on us and them to rack up a decent points total every season.

You can still rely on one or both of us to have extended winning runs.

However you can still see by their results that something has gone badly wrong over there.

If we recruit well and keep the philosophy at the club consistent when Gerrard (eventually) leaves we can dominate for a season or two more AND be in a position to bounce back when we do have a setback.

I wouldn't bank on them being so far behind for more than another season.

Honestly? I'd say they are probably around a season behind us.

This is assuming that their board level changes go well and they hire a competent manager who can refresh and rebuild their squad. Even with everything going there way, I think we should be more than capable of winning the league next season, but the following season could be pretty competitive.

It is a fact, you don’t know that. Can’t really go this arrogance, let’s see what they do in the summer. More importantly, let’s see what we do.
It’s not arrogant it’s an observation because we’ve been over the course. No club and do a full rebuild in 1 window these days. Mind you we still have refs and opponents not turning up to play them to contend with.

Personally think they are a sensible managerial appointment away from it being neck and neck.

Don’t think we can be confident of any perceived gap at this stage. If history has taught us anything it’s that a season can be a VERY long time in football where onfield fortunes are concerned.

We need to focus on making the CL and our outgoings/recruitment then we will have a great platform to build on.

As of right now, the only gap is the points difference. Can be no complacency.

I personally don't think they will be anything like as shite next season. We'll need to be at it again, and that's the way it should be.

That makes no sense they’ve drawn 8 and lost 4 that’s hardly beat before the ball is kicked

Losing only 4 games is not the sign of a terrible team, mate. Only when teams finally lose the fear factor against that mob and start regularly beating them will they fold.

It’s not arrogant it’s an observation because we’ve been over the course. No club and do a full rebuild in 1 window these days. Mind you we still have refs and opponents not turning up to play them to contend with.
They don’t need a full rebuild though. If Desmond does decide to throw a wad of money at it and they get a good manager, they will be back in the game. Let’s not kid ourselves on.

Losing only 4 games is not the sign of a terrible team, mate. Only when teams finally lose the fear factor against that mob and start regularly beating them will they fold.
It isn’t but to say teams fear them I’d say 4 is probably the average we’d expect either us or them to lose a season, just think to say teams are beat before it’s started is wrong as they’ve slipped up in 12 games. They’ll never start losing regularly in the league sadly (hope they do of course)

How far ahead are Rangers - we are certainly ahead, but i'd say next season we won't be winning the league by a runaway margin. Much depends on who they hire as manager. A good manager with good assistants could turn things around fairly quickly, and by his second year should expect to be in a place to directly challenge Rangers. It'll be a long time before we see another 'nine-in-a-row' by either team.

I thought this had already been established by Christie.

i.e. There isn’t that much between the two teams, and points totals don’t reflect this.

Once they stop giving away ridiculous goals and they stop failing to score, there is nothing between us.

Its important they keep believing this,!!!!!

Just thinking there, how far behind do you think they are? I reckon they’re where we were about 2 years ago, NOW!
So where will they be at the end of the season when they need 13 players? Where we were 3/4 years ago?
it’s Gona take more than 1 or 2 transfer windows to even get up to a par IMHO!
1. tgey can’t afford it.
2. Loads of new personnel behind the scenes.
3. New manager.
4. Time for players to settle and gel
5. They’re only looking at doing it half arsed because they’ll probably keep the back room staff.
There are more reasons but I think they’re in for a massive shock.
Hopefully we keep going and kick on again next season.

Not as far behind as we would like. A better manager would defo make more of a challenge than lennon did.

As long as other teams in the SPFL are still beaten before a ball is kicked when they play that mob, it'll be the same struggle as normal for us next season. As bad as they are portrayed, they won't lose many games until the end of the this season.

Can't agree with that mate.

I'd say most teams fancy their chances against them, whereas they think they're on to a hiding when they play us.

I think this season's results prove that.

Can't agree with that mate.

I'd say most teams fancy their chances against them, whereas they think they're on to a hiding when they play us.

I think this season's results prove that.

It sounds as if I'm sticking up for that mob, when it couldn't be further from the truth, mate. No matter how bad they are, teams still stand off them and allow them to play and dominate games. Even at Tannadice last week they had 27 shots on goal, with 12 on target.

It sounds as if I'm sticking up for that mob, when it couldn't be further from the truth, mate. No matter how bad they are, teams still stand off them and allow them to play and dominate games. Even at Tannadice last week they 27 shots on goal, with 12 on target.

They've looked vulnerable in the majority of their games this season mate, while we've cruised the vast majority of our's.

They've looked vulnerable in the majority of their games this season mate, while we've cruised the vast majority of our's.

Its clear that their defence and keeper are rank rotten, but still the opposition have sat off them when they should have attacked them, mate.

They don’t need a full rebuild though. If Desmond does decide to throw a wad of money at it and they get a good manager, they will be back in the game. Let’s not kid ourselves on.
They need a new manager, players, a new ceo is coming in, possibly new back room staff. Hammond is touted to be away so they need his replacement. They’re changing how the club is run. This is a major rebuild to bring them into the 21st century. Make no mistake this is a huge task.

How far ahead are Rangers - we are certainly ahead, but i'd say next season we won't be winning the league by a runaway margin. Much depends on who they hire as manager. A good manager with good assistants could turn things around fairly quickly, and by his second year should expect to be in a place to directly challenge Rangers. It'll be a long time before we see another 'nine-in-a-row' by either team.
If they don’t bring in their own back room staff I’m not sure the manger will last, whoever it is.

It doesn't matter how far behind they are; we must continue to improve and by that i mean by enhancing the squad and hopefully bringing through more youth players. If we stand still we will get caught.

Its clear that their defence and keeper are rank rotten, but still the opposition have sat off them when they should have attacked them, mate.

I get what you're saying mate, but teams like Livingston, Hibs, St Johnstone, St Mirren, Ross County and even a very poor Aberdeen side, will all argue they've got their tactics spot on against them.

They've all taken points off them at least once this season.

No that far...
I can still see them.
9a9b421dc1afc7d8b072dc2b0d5d925e.gif

I’m old enough to remember Charlie Ridiculous on Snyde 1 saying that Celtic were 5 years behind Rangers as ONeil was unveiled and they won the treble that year.

Also wasn’t that long ago that Commons said we needed £100m to close the gap.

They are not that far behind at all and the Rangers management team will know that.

The refs helping them next season will help them a huge amount, they will be dedperate to avoid a new manager not winning anything.

Prior to Martin O'Neil arriving, I'd thought 3 or 4 years and was so wrong. I suspect probably 2 seasons, but DD might throw money at them (along with other investors) to get their fans back on board.
We'll known by mid July.
I thought the same. Dick’s team won the league by 21 points then were miles behind next season. Things can change in an instant.

People still acting like a draw isn’t a terrible result for the OF too.

Whats more important is how many points they have dropped/how many games they have dropped points in. Not just how many they have lost.

Around Jan our big advantage was coming from all the points they dropped in draws more so than losses.

A good coach will obviously improve them, but the decent players, like Edouard and Ajer will be gone, , 5 loan players will bd returned, the likes of Brown, Rogic and Thumb will hang around, whilst they have three less than useless goalies, which doesn’t leave much to build on.

I would be confident we could retain the title again next season but I don’t buy into us being miles ahead.

Decent management team and a couple of decent windows for them and they could turn it around. Can’t see either club going on a mad run of title wins again any time soon.

We will have players coming and going aswell and at some stage in the next few years our management team will most likely change
Said on another thread, they are undertaking enormous change this summer and asking for it all to fall into place at once is mammoth.

New chief exec or chairman or whatever the fuck lawwell was, coupled with a new DOF, and new management team, and indeed new playing staff. It's a massive overhaul at once and I cant help but feel they are going about it the wrong way.

They dont seem to be implementing a fundamental change to address the root cause of issues within their rancid organisation and this sudden and drastic restructuring is purely reactionary in response to what we are doing - that's not the right way to go about it. The lack of coherent strategy is obvious when you see the candidates they are being linked with, the most cringeworthy one being the approach where seemingly anyone from the Man City setup will do - total over reliance on an onerous link with city owing to Lawwell's son being in place there.

add to the fact that it looks like lawwell is overseeing the appointments of this new footballing department or whatever the fuck its meant to be, yet lawwell is heading out the door in a few weeks and his replacement cant get out of his contract until the summer.

absolute car crash stuff. I cant think of another example of a club that has undertaken such enormous changes all at once and done so with immediate success - happy to be pointed in the direction of examples where it has worked overnight - even at Chelsea it took a couple of years before the mourinho show rolled into town, hundreds of millions of pounds later.

In any case, the entire approach seems disjointed and confused.

Alternatively dropping points in 12 matches already, likely to be more by the end of the season shows they are from a decent team when compared against Old Firm sides.

A long way behind both in mentality and tactically. I honestly don't think a single yahoo player would get near our starting 11 right now.

They also have a mountain of challenges to face over the summer months. A CEO who doesn't start in the job till two weeks before the first European tie, still no idea who their manager or DOF might be, best players all want away and about a dozen or so assorted trash players draining big money from the weekley wage bill.

Even if they get it right It will take time for the new manageral team to build a football philosophy and that's something they won't be given at sharkhead, just look what they did to Lennon after one bad season.

If Rangers go about our business in the right way this summer I can't see anything other than us winning the league again next season by a healthy margin.

They not only have to bring in a new management team but also a complete new mindset.
They have a new CEO that has been involved in rugby, what he knows about football, management, signing players etc is anybody’s guess.

If the go down the DoF route then the structure internally will need rebuilt and a significant buy in from those who have been around for ever at the club.

Once the evaluation of who stays, who goes and what is needed has been established they then have to look to negotiate brining new bodies during a major international championship year where a lot of players will be with their national teams and a lot will be in the shop window, it is not an easy task to rebuild when there is an international championship going on.

Ask yourself this, do they have a spine of a good team and if so what is needed to make them competitive? Don’t forget we are competing on two fronts, Europe and the League, can they do that next season because that is where the yard stick has been laid by Rangers and I know that if they are not competitive on either front then they will need to start again.

Personally I think they will go out for the league, simple reason being that our European endeavours have guaranteed a big return for the champions next season and this is a worthy investment to make.

Not as far as many think. They look in a bad way but still have decent players there. Despite the ridicule he gets on here, Julie Anne was a huge miss for them this season, probably Forrest too.
Not counting my Chickens yet
Out until around November so could miss a good 3-4 months of the season and come the summer clear out likely to be on the only remaining defender of the current squad who isn’t complete dogshit

Latest posts

Back