How far behind are they?

Just thinking there, how far behind do you think they are? I reckon they’re where we were about 2 years ago, NOW!
So where will they be at the end of the season when they need 13 players? Where we were 3/4 years ago?
it’s Gona take more than 1 or 2 transfer windows to even get up to a par IMHO!
1. tgey can’t afford it.
2. Loads of new personnel behind the scenes.
3. New manager.
4. Time for players to settle and gel
5. They’re only looking at doing it half arsed because they’ll probably keep the back room staff.
There are more reasons but I think they’re in for a massive shock.
Hopefully we keep going and kick on again next season.
A summer

Whilst we think they may not do certain things we should be planning on them going full out.

We need to push things on and improve ourselves as much as possible. Looking at where others are will cause us problems, concentrate on ourselves.

At the moment we have a 20 point gap and we are a serious contender in Europe. A settled and improving playing squad coupled with a progressive management team and supportive board.
They have no manager, lost their CEO and have a huge doubt over the sale of season tickets. Add in a disparate squad with question marks over just about every position. Their recent recruitment has been haphazard, at best.
I would suggest these elements show a rather large gap between us and them.
Qualification for the CL group stages, continue with good recruitment, buy and sell well, there is no reason why the gap won't widen.
We are in a very good place, this could well turn into a great place.

in my honest opinion, they're a good manager and a few players from challenging us. We simply cannot take our eye off the ball.
I hope Alfie sticks around for a shot at the CL as that'll obviously be a huge boost to us for next season.

Interesting summer ahead though

A summer

Whilst we think they may not do certain things we should be planning on them going full out.

We need to push things on and improve ourselves as much as possible. Looking at where others are will cause us problems, concentrate on ourselves.

Given we have an amazing management structure in place including player identification plus additional Euro cash - it would be surprising if our window isn't more productive than theirs.

Need to win back the trust of the fans as well. We bought into the Gerrard project quite quickly. They need to make a similarly inspired appointment imo.

You make a good point here that has hardly been addressed.

Part of the reason we showed patience and Gerrard was given time is we were coming from our lowest ebb.

We had recently returned to the top division and had failed to compete. Gerrard was getting unparalleled results in Europe for a Scottish club, whilst showing progress domestically season on season.

They have just had almost a decade on top and still believe they are and should be there.

It is highly unlikely the new guy in the East gets 3 seasons to win the league because they were on top so recently.

I'd hope 'Dodgy Desmond' doesn't dip into his retirement fund.Barring that as you allude to,they'll struggle to raise enough funds to enable a proper rebuild.

It took our staff three seasons of being very smart to turn us around to where we are today,they'd need at least that imo- and I doubt they will employ people half as clever as we have.

Like I say,I hope they give Keane the gig.
Stuck in the dark ages,just like their rancid club.
They are a plc they would need a share issue under written by dodgy des

that’s not happening in the current climate

I’d love for them to go for Keane a combustible character who would alienate players in a short space of time

they would fall of a cliff and be back to square one

rinse and repeat pleaee

we could get a massive cash injection from cl if we do then it’s a game changer

we build from this position of strength and with Gerrard and our recruitment team I don’t see major mistakes happening

this could be a great couple of years lads

As long as Gerrard and Ross Wilson continue to keep looking to improve the playing squad and have ambitions of playing in the Champions League then that will keep us well ahead of that lot.

Given we have an amazing management structure in place including player identification plus additional Euro cash - it would be surprising if our window isn't more productive than theirs.

Except that we might lose a couple key players to the transfer market and have to replace them. So our recruitment will need to continue to be top notch.

Don’t think we should focus on how far behind us they are and more how far ahead of the rest they are - to challenge for the title all you have to be is consistent in the league against the rest and go on a winning run. Derby games can go either way- injuries/ sendings off etc.

they have a better squad than the rest of the league (minus us obviously). A better manager than what they have had (not difficult) and some players could turn them into contenders.

We just have to keep doing our thing and doing it well.

Yeah I’ve seen it all turn around in a year but the point I’m making is in this day and age in football, with a rebuild the size of what is needed it won’t be done in a year or even two.
Rangers have progressed year on year since SG arived. Similarly the mhankies have have gone in the opposite direction since TLB went back to them.
IMO SG will be here for at least one more season, probably 2, so we will continue to improve,hopefully with an added impetus of CL money. They on the other hand have got to stop the rot, steady the ship, and then improve at a better rate than Rangers. The shadow of CSA will continue to hang over them for a long while too.
Nothing is guaranteed, but they are in a bad place just now, which is nice.
I wish on them everything they tried to impose on Rangers.

That was their problem, believing we were miles behind.

If we believe they are neck in neck with us then that should ensure the appropriate levels of players are in our team.

That was their problem, believing we were miles behind.

If we believe they are neck in neck with us then that should ensure the appropriate levels of players are in our team.
I’m not saying it’s a cake walk but they re behind. We concentrate on ourselves and we’ll be fine.

My opinion is there is still not much between the teams and clubs as a whole.

Their players crumbled same as their manager crumbled. Lennon does not have the skills to manage his players properly and so was found wanting how to deal with a resurgent Rangers.

A decent manager who knows what system he wants and if he is given a decent budget from Fritzl he could turn them around.

This coming season is massive.
  • If Rangers have another good season - win the league and qualify for the CL groups.
  • The filth get a manager on the cheap with minimum investment in squad and fail to reach CL groups
If the above happens then a real gap appears.

They are still ahead is the attitude we must adopt or we could take our eye off the ball

Spot on. Look at how much things have shifted in the space of just one year.

Anyone thinking the scum are in the grubber and we will have trophies falling into our lap for the next few years with minimal effort is completely deluded IMO.

They've got a new CEO coming in who will want to prove his worth.

It’s definitely advantage Rangers in the very short term but everyone working for the club is going to have to continue with the same focus and drive they have done for the last 2-3 years to keep that advantage.

They have to roll many dice at the same time: first team squad rebuild, new manager, new coaching staff, new DoF, new CEO. It might work for them, it might not. Hopefully they will roll five 1's and implode.

We must and will continue with the same gradual improvement shown consistently over the last few seasons.

Anyone thinking the scum are in the grubber and we will have trophies falling into our lap for the next few years with minimal effort is completely deluded IMO.

It’s definitely advantage Rangers in the very short term but everyone working for the club is going to have to continue with the same focus and drive they have done for the last 2-3 years to keep that advantage.
Except, as an absolute cast iron fact, the ones who say they ate ahead are deluded. That is indisputable. Rather than some make believe land some posters want to live in.

So it’s actually the opposite of spot on.

They have to roll many dice at the same time: first team squad rebuild, new manager, new coaching staff, new DoF, new CEO. It might work for them, it might not. Hopefully they will roll five 1's and implode.

We must and will continue with the same gradual improvement shown consistently over the last few seasons.
Some on here seem to think they have rolled all 6’s on many of those die already.

It's not just a shift over a year, it takes about 3 years to build a team, Gerrard and his staff were working on the squad for that period of time. They have a big rebuild on their hands which will take far more than a summer window. They need a quality keeper, 2 or 3 defenders as Ajer is looking to leave, in midfield they have Turnbull but apart from him who is there. Brown is done, McGregor didn't look interested, Christie is a possible to leave, Edouard looks a stick on to leave, Griffiths is a liability. And while they are rebuilding Gerrard will also be bringing in players his name and respect in football will have players looking to sign for us. Success breeds success, they are well behind us by at least two years such has been the shift.

Last edited:
I'd say the direction of travel of both clubs have been clear for 3 years - we have been on the up - they have been on the decline.

They now have to stop the bleeding , reverse direction and then catch up.

If it was us in their position I would be very very worried - and thinking 22/23 season.

The ones saying a new manager will get a tune out of what is there already are totally missing the point. It will largely by a new squad next season with their best players leaving this summer.

Bear in mind that we were put down to the bottom division, came back & won the title within 10 years. They have had 1 poor season. Yes, they will have a big turnover of players this summer, but chances are they won't have another season like this one - they will be stronger. Will we go another season without defeat until the last game of the season? Probably not. So it will be tighter - i have no doubt in my mind.

I'm fairly certain they will appoint Howe. Better manager than Lennon imo & will get them playing better. He doesn't know the league so that might catch him out. He'll need to sign players quick & they may take time to gel, but it's Scottish football so they will probably get by. Is he going to have a goalie as bad as Barkas? I would say that would be close to impossible. Someone at centre half as bad as Duffy? No. They could have literally picked any GK & CB from the Scottish Championship this season instead of them 2 & they'd have been an improvement.

We'll also sign players & possibly sell. We don't know how that will affect us.

Yes, we have a head start on them in the sense we are a settled group, but we both start on zero points at the end of the day. It's a clean slate and this season will be gone. Remember when O'Neill joined them? We won the league the previous season by 20+ points & then lost it the following season by almost the same amount. I'm not saying that will happen but big swings can happen in football over the course of a summer. People shouldn't assume this is us in for a period of domination as they are getting ahead of themselves.

They've obviously got to improve their defence- but just how difficult is it to make an upgrade on Duffer and Laxative?

As for the rest of their team - IMO they'll be able to make improvements that will be capable of taking on the majority of the SPL - fairly easily

Where they'll have difficulties is building a decent squad with any sort of strength in depth
Basically if they are lucky enough to avoid many injuries & suspensions - they could cobble together a side who would more than likely hold their own against the majority of the SPL - for the majority of the season

So I'm not sure they're going to be 'also-rans' for years to come - the way many seem to be suggesting

Of course they're still a basket case of a club - & they're a long way off giving us much competition at the moment -
I just don't see this gap staying quite as wide as it looks right now - for too long

Not that I'm too bothered - bring it on -
We Welcome the Chase

I hear their zoom call with McKay went badly.

He basically told them to get over last year, cough up for the ST or else it impacts the recruitment, and provided no update on manager or players.

B-)B-DB-)B-DB-)B-DB-)B-D

If they get decent money for the players that want away, they will have to spend it all and s lot more to build a squad, the only half decent players they will have left might be McGregor, Forest, Turnbull, if they think they can build a team around those three, then they have a long way to go as the rest are dreadful.

We should not forget they got complacent and thought we were miles behind
Yeah I agree, I think I’m looking at this realistically. The club has a hunger about it now, I hope we can capitalise on their collapse. I genuinely don’t think we will take our eye off the ball for the foreseeable future.

Football isn't so complicated to think any team is X amount of years ahead. Football isn't measured that way, players make teams. If they go and find a Larsson and a Moravcik they will challenge. If they pick up a few Laxalt/Duffy types they won't. A team can be assembled in a summer and likewise a team can be picked apart. We should focus on us. Thankfully it looks like we are

Reactions: MSF
If there is anything to learn from the last decade, and from the capitulation of Celtic this year, it is to not get caught up in all this type of talk.

All their, “Can you see The Rangers?” and singing about Terry Munro for years set them up like fools.

I intend thoroughly enjoying where we are, I intend utterly rubbing a few folks noses right in it but I’m not getting drawn into thinking about how far behind Cetic are/far ahead Rangers are.

Friends of Rangers just need to focus on our own house - maintain the progress made over recent years and build on it.

Keep on improving and growing and take care of our own business.. as someone once alluded to, the others can chase that.

Last edited:
Their choice of manager is absolutely key.. they need a marquee appointment to keep the hordes happy. They obviously need a new keeper, playmaker etc but if they haven't got their new false idol to worship they will not allow anyone any type of slip up. My personal hope is their problems are so embedded they will not mount a serious challenge for at least 5 years
marquee

NOUN
  1. BRITISH
    a large tent used for social or commercial functions.
  2. See Blacks of Greenock

Depends on what they want to spend , money talks ,will they spend big on a manager and give him millions to spend .
Disagree mate, you don't need to spend millions to add quality, look at Davis, McGregor, Aribo, Jack, Arfield, Kamara etc all signed for nothing or next to nothing and all very much vital members of our squad. I don't think they are as far behind us as some posters on here would have us believe however i reckon they need their recruitment to be bang on in the next transfer window, get that wrong and they could be years behind us especially with next seasons champions gaining direct entry to the group stage the season after

I don’t think they’re as far behind as this season indicates. They’ve had the season from hell and we’ve excelled so the gulf is a little exaggerated.

that said, I hope I’m wrong and this is the start of their 90’s revival.

Regardless of how far behind they are we just have to look at ourselves to see how quickly they could catch up if we allowed arrogance or complacency to creep in.

Having said that I don’t think for one second the gaffer and the back room staff would allow that.

I don’t think they’re as far behind as this season indicates. They’ve had the season from hell and we’ve excelled so the gulf is a little exaggerated.

that said, I hope I’m wrong and this is the start of their 90’s revival.
Bear in mind, that team they have now will be decimated. It will take more than 1 or 2 transfer windows to rebuild that squad.

Bear in mind that we were put down to the bottom division, came back & won the title within 10 years. They have had 1 poor season. Yes, they will have a big turnover of players this summer, but chances are they won't have another season like this one - they will be stronger. Will we go another season without defeat until the last game of the season? Probably not. So it will be tighter - i have no doubt in my mind.

I'm fairly certain they will appoint Howe. Better manager than Lennon imo & will get them playing better. He doesn't know the league so that might catch him out. He'll need to sign players quick & they may take time to gel, but it's Scottish football so they will probably get by. Is he going to have a goalie as bad as Barkas? I would say that would be close to impossible. Someone at centre half as bad as Duffy? No. They could have literally picked any GK & CB from the Scottish Championship this season instead of them 2 & they'd have been an improvement.

We'll also sign players & possibly sell. We don't know how that will affect us.

Yes, we have a head start on them in the sense we are a settled group, but we both start on zero points at the end of the day. It's a clean slate and this season will be gone. Remember when O'Neill joined them? We won the league the previous season by 20+ points & then lost it the following season by almost the same amount. I'm not saying that will happen but big swings can happen in football over the course of a summer. People shouldn't assume this is us in for a period of domination as they are getting ahead of themselves.

Its just as probable they will be weaker.

People should not underestimate the level of rebuild over there with question marks over the finances to achieve it.

They could be stronger. But there are very sound arguments they will be weaker.

You cannot state "they will be stronger" as a cast iron fact

Not far at all, they have had a shocker of a season, but with a good coach, they do have some good players.

They showed in the last OF that if they are more tactically drilled they will cause us problems.

thats where i'm at , they ain't as bad as some make them out to be ...........

i want us to always see them as a threat and not get complacent. This question will be much easier after the summer when we know who we lose. All it takes is one year of good players out and shite players in so we need to be careful. i'm hoping we can easily get to 3 in a row.

Back