How good a manager do we have in Gerrard

He works out in the gym after training, and looks fantastic.

Being handsome and buff isn't easy for anyone.

He could be a very decent manager at the highest level but I am really impressed by the background team he has assembled which has contributed greatly to our success.

The gaffer is a born winner and leader. At the moment we have superb people in charge of all departments on and off the park. It really is onwards and upwards.

A couple of us took absolute pelters for suggesting him and putting his name forward shortly after Pedro left, including the OP.

As a player, as a football person, as a leader, as an analyst/pundit on BT and as a human being, it is absolutely no surprise to me how well he is doing.

He has everything.

He’s as determined to improve in management the same as he did as a player. He puts everything into it. We will reap the rewards and let’s enjoy it while he’s here.

Everything about the guy is class . Any outsiders looking at our games must notice the difference with our Manager standing there shirt and tie on and representing our institution and compare and contrast to some others who I wouldn't even mention on a night like this

There are very few people in football that have the status of our manager.

there is always a question mark over great players that turn to management, but there are some people that carry themselves in a different manner and Gerrard does that.

Just have to look at the Gerrard express thread from when he was announced. The worry of bringing in an inexperienced, total unknown as a manager being replaced with belief base on nothing other than Gerrard.

We are in a privileged position to have him.

A couple of us took absolute pelters for suggesting him and putting his name forward shortly after Pedro left, including the OP.

As a player, as a football person, as a leader, as an analyst/pundit on BT and as a human being, it is absolutely no surprise to me how well he is doing.

He has everything.
We most certainly did and thankfully we do not appear to be wrong. The foundations he and his staff are building at our club will stand us in good stead for years to come.

If his stock continues to rise i think we all accept where his destiny ultimately lies and our support will have nothing but good wishes towards him.

He has put his heart and soul into this job and i think we are so lucky to have him as our manager.

I'm pretty sure he would love to experience success in front of a Rangers support.
I've backed the man from day one and never doubted that he would deliver.

He was captain of club and country so knows how to lead players. As our manager, he has also demonstrated an ability to learn which in any walk of life is a fantastic attribute. He is still an inexperienced manager in the big scheme of things but at our club he has what could be argued an unique opportunity to accelerate his acumen given the profile, pressure of old firm challenge, media and fan expectations as well as a gateway to learn on the European stage. He is taking those opportunities. He will no doubt only continue to improve until he unfortunate outgrows Scotland. Surrounding himself with good support network is also a sign of great leadership.
He knows what good looks like. He would have seen in one or two days touring Ibrox and Auchenhowie exactly who and what was not good enough. If he left tomorrow he’d be a legend for 55 and torpedoing the scum delusions of grandeur. But he won’t leave. He has much to do and so long as we give him the tools he will do it.

i defended him time after time on here but when last season finished I was worrying a bit but he has delivered big time.

The gaffer and the coaching staff are high level. Made a subtle change to the formation tonight from last week. Noticed that refaelov was causing problems picking up space inbetween Davis and kamara so changed from 2 6's and an 8 to having Davis the only sitting no6 to pick up refaelov and kamara and aribo as right and left 8's supporting the full backs.

One of the best young managers in Europe.

I genuinely believe he will only leave us for one other club, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see one other very big clubs try and tempt him anyway.

He’s a Champions League manager. Enjoy it because results like tonight will be remembered for years. He’s build a tremendous squad of players.

Gerrard will go on to be one of the major names in management of his generation in my opinion. People rightly point to the whole back room team but assembling that team is part of being a manager, he knows who he is, what he’s good at and most importantly knows what he’s not good at and recruits people to fill those gaps, for me that’s a sign of a top manager.

If his stock continues to rise i think we all accept where his destiny ultimately lies and our support will have nothing but good wishes towards him.

He has put his heart and soul into this job and i think we are so lucky to have him as our manager.

I'm pretty sure he would love to experience success in front of a Rangers support.
I've backed the man from day one and never doubted that he would deliver.
I can't wait for the unfurling of the flag next season ( surely we will all be back by then) for when Stevie G walks out onto the pitch the roof will be coming off the stands .
I don't think that there is any doubt that he will move on if he progresses as he is doing, but tonight I am delighted that we have him as our manager for not only is he raising his own profile but more importantly from my point of view by winning the league and making an impact in Europe raising the profile of Rangers

After him winning us 55 every minute we have Gerrard will be a bonus for us, but I genuinely believe he'd be better staying with us for at least another two seasons. He'll definitely get the Liverpool job in the future but must gain some more experience first because Souness showed us that timing is everything. He regrets leaving Rangers too soon and fuc*ed up his ONE and only chance with Liverpool . Gerrard is still a very young manager and however tempting the lure of his first love is he must make absolutely sure he is fully prepared for the job. Regardless of when he will leave us a legend and with our blessings.

I agree with you OP, I think after the Hamilton game, he looked on his way out. I firmly believe that the pandemic saved his job, possibly even refocussed him, and returned his hunger.

He's learnt from mistakes, I think his game management is becoming a lot stronger, and I think the coaching set up he has here is working wonders.

Jermain Defoe was saying tonight on the watchparty that the gaffer reckons it'll take him 10-15 years to reach the levels of Michael Beale in terms of a coaching knowledge. That in itself is the signs of a man who is only going to get bette and better.

Cannot wait to see him with his beautiful hands on that league trophy

As most of you will know I've been a massive supporter of Gerrard. I really wanted us to go for a massive name and was singing the praises of Gerrard prior to his arrival. I will be totally honest and I thought he'd be lucky to survive our defeat to Hamilton last season. I think we've got an absolute gem in Gerrard and would like to gauge opinion of the forum.
Look have you ever seen Gerrard win the league B-) B-)

Think he is a great figurehead but can’t take away the group effort of the team he has working alongside him.
And even putting this to the side - the sheer professionalism he has brought and helped influence throughout the entire club structure should not be underestimated.

At the end of the day, even once he and his team have left, their impacts across our club will linger.

I agree with you OP, I think after the Hamilton game, he looked on his way out. I firmly believe that the pandemic saved his job, possibly even refocussed him, and returned his hunger.

He's learnt from mistakes, I think his game management is becoming a lot stronger, and I think the coaching set up he has here is working wonders.

Jermain Defoe was saying tonight on the watchparty that the gaffer reckons it'll take him 10-15 years to reach the levels of Michael Beale in terms of a coaching knowledge. That in itself is the signs of a man who is only going to get bette and better.

Don’t think he was ever anywhere near on his way out. Impatient loyal just needed to be a bit more patient it was pretty clear we were heading in the right direction.

I think one of the reasons he's doing so well, apart from the fact that's he's clearly showing signs of becmoing a good manager, is that we gived him cache blanche to do what he sees fit, not many clubs would be willing to entrust a new manager to that degree

His backroom staff deserve a lot of credit. Beale, McAllister and crew have helped him mature as a manager since he took the job.

Regarding those bringing up our league problems last season and they're opinion on Gerrard staying or going. Without saying I told you so or claiming to be smarter than the next guy (that's a given) I honestly considered those suggesting he leave absolute nutters.

This was always going to take some time. Of course if you need an example of Bluenose impatience, there's always that weekly match thread. ;)

His backroom staff deserve a lot of credit. Beale, McAllister and crew have helped him mature as a manager since he took the job.

Regarding those bringing up our league problems last season and they're opinion on Gerrard staying or going. Without saying I told you so or claiming to be smarter than the next guy (that's a given) I honestly considered those suggesting he leave absolute nutters.

This was always going to take some time. Of course if you need an example of Bluenose impatience, there's always that weekly match thread. ;)

I've only ever seen this narrative peddled by Celtic fans.

The man had already put 10s of millions into the club through our European success, and we were still in the Europa League.

We were miles behind Celtic when he came in.

He had just signed a new four year contract.

Why on earth would any sane board remove a manager who started off as a massive underdog for going (probably) 10 points behind?! Anyone could see our progress, and our only real weakness then was not having strength in depth up front and in defence.

Great use of subs last night, one area he’s been cautious with not introducing subs early enough. Obviously forced with Patterson, was nice to see Arfield on a bit earlier than usual as well. Zungu, Wright and Itten also all made impacts

Similarly to OP, I feel that Gerrard has been a great appointment.

Credit must also go to the first-team management team / backroom team also -- as they are doing a great job.

Lastly, the recruitment of players has been excellent -- great work is being done by our people in that area in regards to getting players with the right level of ability at the right price.

It's an exciting time at the club right now.

Last edited:
As good as it gets. Wouldn’t swap him for any other manager in the world right now.

I agree with this, I wouldn't want to swap him with anyone.
The football we are playing is fantastic, the best to watch since Advocaat for me, on a fraction of the relative budget DA had.
Whilst winning is critical at Rangers, he's doing it with class, dignity and a degree of professionalism I don't think we've seen at Ibrox in a very long time.
Hopefully we can maintain these standards and hold them for future generations, as we will win more than we lose if we do. Gerrard is a class act, was worth the wait.

What this squad of players under Steven Gerrard have achieved since the draw at Easter Road is remarkable. Willem II was the beginning and we’ve never looked back. The league cup defeat was disappointing but that was on the players.

Each time we’ve had a set back, we have bounced back.

Didn’t realise the magnificent Brendan Rodgers as he is always portrayed in our media has never made the last 16 in Europa League with 3 clubs. Our manager has now done it twice.

He is a natural leader and his charisma and footballing career are awesome

His backroom team are a huge help to him but in modern football that’s what you need and it’s not down to just the Gaffer. Gary Mac, Michael Beale, Tom Coleshaw and Jordan Millsom and all the other part of the backroom team are all part of the success

Post Hamilton last year, I was worried. Very, very worried. Thank you, sweet baby Jesus, he stayed. This season.....can't imagine life without him. But for now, DRINK IT IN.

As most of you will know I've been a massive supporter of Gerrard. I really wanted us to go for a massive name and was singing the praises of Gerrard prior to his arrival. I will be totally honest and I thought he'd be lucky to survive our defeat to Hamilton last season. I think we've got an absolute gem in Gerrard and would like to gauge opinion of the forum.

Simply the best

Next season will be the toughest test. I really hope he stays with us for it as 56 is crucial to absolutely bury them

9 wins and 2 draws (that could have easily been 10 or 11 wins)in a season and in the next round.
Must be the best record in the tournament this year surely?

I wasn't convinced this time last year and had pretty much had enough.

However, whatever he went away and re-evaluated during the months after the league was stopped has worked a treat.

He's produced a wonderfully coached side, he's doing an excellent job.

Back