How good is Tavernier?

Very interesting thread on tavs performances as a pro player

“First of all, I want to say I am not comparing Tavernier to any of the below players. I am comparing [Tavernier's stats at HIS clubs] relative to [X player at THEIR clubs].

I am only looking to see how Tav performs in comparison to the stats of X player at X teams.”

“ I understand Tavernier at Rangers (playing teams like Kilmarnock) is different to Dani Alves at Barcelona (playing teams like Valencia).

This is all relative to each player, playing in their respective league. It is meant to give an idea at how well Tavernier has been at Rangers”

“I compared Tavernier (at his respective career) to the following players at their respective career clubs:
Marcelo
Cafu
Roberto Carlos
Zanetti
Evra
Alves
A. Cole
Lahm
Pisczek

A. Hutton, Whittaker, Lustig, M. Wilson and Tierney (during their time at Rangers & Celtic)“

“Here is a very simple spreadsheet showing some of Tavernier's stats in comparison to how the above players performed at their respective clubs.”

“These stats don't give us an indication of how good Tavernier is as a player on the global stage, but it does give us a relatively good idea of how good he performs at club level vs. world class players at their clubs.”

“Interestingly, Tav has represented Rangers more times than:

Goram, Wallace, Novo, Baxter, Ricksen, Moore, Boyd, Weir, Papac, Hateley, Albertz, Lovenkrands, Butcher, Numan, Durie, Laudrup & Mols.

A fantastic servant to the club and an excellent player.“

“Tavernier has averaged over a goal or assist in every 2 games throughout his time at Rangers.”

Last edited:
Unbelievable value to get him & Waghorn for relative pennies (can't mind if the reported fee was £200k each or for both)

This one stood out for me

Interestingly, Tav has represented Rangers more times than: Goram, Wallace, Novo, Baxter, Ricksen, Moore, Boyd, Weir, Papac, Hateley, Albertz, Lovenkrands, Butcher, Numan, Durie, Laudrup & Mols. A fantastic servant to the club and an excellent player.

The best right back in the world. Drink it in lurkers.

giphy.gif

Superb statistics, I am amazed at the list of greats that Tav has now overtaken. He is a great captain and a real Ranger. Imagine his smile when he lifts the Premiership Trophy.

Cannae be havin threads like this praising one of the most berated players he ever had on our books.

hopefully the boo boys are beginning to realise just what a player our captain is. I hope n pray he is the first Ranger in 9 long years to pick up the premiership trophy at the end of the season, i cant think of anyone more deserving after the stick he’s absorbed in the past couple or 3 seasons.

One quote from last season:

“Bring McCrorie back and play him at RB”
:oops:
It shows a few things, firstly, that poster was bat shit crazy!
Secondly. He takes so much flak for the team - and never seen hiding from it.
Third, how much his game has improved alongside the rest of the squad that he is now, arguably, the best player in the entire country.

Long may he reign!

I have been critical of tav at times in the past but there is no denying he is in the form of his life just now and has been sensational recently.

He has had some cause for criticism in the past. First half v Hibs in the SCF. Last season away to Young Boys.

But he has got the head down and we are reaping the rewards this year. An absolute athlete, his engine is amazing.

Powerful runs from right back through midfield. Often in a centre forwards position to meet crosses. Top scorer in the league.

How magnificent will it be when he wins the title and top scorer along with it. :)

Tav , slaughtered mercilessly on FF when playing in a poor team
Tav, who never hid, always wanted the ball and gave his best every game
Tav, the new FF hero and our wonderful Captain
It's funny how things change eh? We are all guilty of it of course.

It's just amusing that he was once accused of being one of the worst defensive players in our team to now the best right back in the last 30 years!

For us, given the strength of the league and us at the time he is here he is unbelievable. We have had better right backs in the sense that the league was stronger and we were competing at champions league equivalent level.

However, comparative to the strength of the team and league, he is surely one of our best RBs ever although he does need to win trophies to go down in history as such.

It's funny how things change eh? We are guilty of it of course.

It's just amusing that he was once accused of being one of the worst defensive players in our team to now the best right back in the last 30 years!
I was the first to put my hands up and say I got it wrong with Barisic - totally. I thought he was a total waste of a jersey and would gladly have Andy Halliday at LB (at the time).
Its good to see folk putting their hands up and owning up, although even better to see the silence of the worst offenders

Seems ridiculous that a player with his stats, especially given his position, has yet to win a trophy. I don't think Warburton will make a better signing in his managerial career than the £200k he spent on Tav, the man who is now Rangers captain and one of the star players in a team that's light years ahead of the one he joined in 2015.

To play Devil's Advocate, he has one Petrofac Cup winners medal and one Scottish Championship medal to show for it. In terms of our league positions, he's finished 3rd, 3rd and then 2nd place twice in the SPFL. That's no slight on him or his ability - just highlighting the outrageously bad position that he's been playing for the club in and I'll be the first one to elevate him about other greats if we can get over the line and start winning medals, leagues and progressing even further in Europe. I think it's pretty difficult to compare him to other SPFL defenders never mind genuinely world class footballers playing at the highest level so will just ignore that part of it. Guys like Papac, Whittaker, Lustig and Wilson weren't playing at a time when it was trendy to have the right and left back effectively playing as auxiliary wingers. I doubt any of them would return anything resembling Tavernier's numbers but at the same time, they were performing different roles within the team. Hutton and Tierney are probably the closest comparisons in terms of roles within the team so that's interesting and highly encouraging.

Seems ridiculous that a player with his stats, especially given his position, has yet to win a trophy. I don't think Warburton will make a better signing in his managerial career than the £200k he spent on Tav, the man who is now Rangers captain and one of the star players in a team that's light years ahead of the one he joined in 2015.

He needs a trophy. He will get it (4) this year. ;)

Doesn’t matter how good a player he is if we don’t have 55 come the end of this season and that’s not taking anything away from how good a servant he’s been, if he lifts 55 this season he’ll be rightly so in the hall of fame after the rollercoaster he’s been through to triumph.

To play Devil's Advocate, he has one Petrofac Cup winners medal and one Scottish Championship medal to show for it. In terms of our league positions, he's finished 3rd, 3rd and then 2nd place twice in the SPFL. That's no slight on him or his ability - just highlighting the outrageously bad position that he's been playing for the club in and I'll be the first one to elevate him about other greats if we can get over the line and start winning medals, leagues and progressing even further in Europe. I think it's pretty difficult to compare him to other SPFL defenders never mind genuinely world class footballers playing at the highest level so will just ignore that part of it. Guys like Papac, Whittaker, Lustig and Wilson weren't playing at a time when it was trendy to have the right and left back effectively playing as auxiliary wingers. I doubt any of them would return anything resembling Tavernier's numbers but at the same time, they were performing different roles within the team. Hutton and Tierney are probably the closest comparisons in terms of roles within the team so that's interesting and highly encouraging.
Your point about the different style of play for defenders over the years is valid - but the difference is that Tav’s goals and assist numbers aren’t just ridiculously impressive for a right back, they would be impressive for a striker/number10/winger.

I have been critical of tav at times in the past but there is no denying he is in the form of his life just now and has been sensational recently.
Likewise, mate.

Tavernier has been sensational so far this season. His career has come on leaps and bounds under SG

Your point about the different style of play for defenders over the years is valid - but the difference is that Tav’s goals and assist numbers aren’t just ridiculously impressive for a right back, they would be impressive for a striker/number10/winger.

Critics will point to the tally being high because of penalties. But what they don't see is his runs into the box from right back, charging right through the middle. I said earlier as well, he will often be in the centre forwards position getting on the end of crosses.

This one stood out for me

Interestingly, Tav has represented Rangers more times than: Goram, Wallace, Novo, Baxter, Ricksen, Moore, Boyd, Weir, Papac, Hateley, Albertz, Lovenkrands, Butcher, Numan, Durie, Laudrup & Mols. A fantastic servant to the club and an excellent player.

If Tav lift the title, we'll be talking about him for decades and decades to come, easily alongside the names here. It's literally the only thing between him and proper legend status.

Steven Gerrard has installed so much confidence in his team.Now we are seeing what that confidence in ones self can achieve.
All the talent in the world can be lost without confidence. ;)

Even more impressive than I suspected to be honest. Think the assists are even more notable than his goals since a lot of them are from the penalty spot (I know he still has to score them).

Deserves a title.

I know he is playing in a lesser league, but think the form he's in he could walk into most epl teams, he's that good right now, and long may it continue. Keep it up tav!!

I want nothing more than to see Tav lift the league trophy this year, the guy has been through it all with us and gave us so much back, hes had highs and lows throughout his time at us but lets hope he gets one major high at the end of this season.

Amazing the difference 6 months makes in a career when most on here wanted him stripped of the armband and put on the bench.
Delighted for him that most are now seeing what the rest of us saw previously.

It is a perfect example of how quickly opinions change in football. I suspect he is one mistake away from some fans on here going back to that.

We have had great value for money - an understatement - for Tavernier and I hope he gets the rewards this season for his efforts.

He has been on fire this season but him and the team as a whole will be judged on what they've won. The question would be better asked at the end of the season. Form wise he is prob the best fullback in Europe now and I hope he can keep that up when the fans are eventually allowed back in.

Back