How good was Michael Mols?

My first memory of Rangers was the team of 99. Had this man’s name on the back of the NTL home top. My absolute hero alongside Stefan Klos.

The injury against Bayern broke my heart (it wasn’t Kahn’s fault before anyone has a go) - how good do you think he would have been if that didn’t happen?

I was young at the time, but I reckon he would have been good enough to sign for a Champions League contender.

Spent my summer trying to mimic his famous turn (most of the time I fell on my arse).

We only needed a draw to get through that night and pounded them, hot the woodwork three times.

Before he got injured he was having a great game and was immense that season up until then. He was going to be one of our best ever before Khan decided to run out.

I'd never been so excited about a new signing so early into his career at Rangers except Brian Laudrup who is the greatest I have seen in over 40 years going to games. I genuinely think I'd be sitting here today still going back and forward between them for my favourite ever Ranger had Mols not had that injury.

Pre-injury, ridiculously good. Saw players box him in at the corner flag and he’d still manage to twist and turn and manipulate the ball to find a way out.

The Mols turn was awesome though, never seen anything else like it really. How many players can take the ball with their back to goal and class it as a scoring chance? He could.

Last edited:
Bearing in mind he was 28 when he signed (and no one had heard of him prior), I still believe he wouldve been spoken of in the same breath as Laudrup, Gascoigne etc as one of the greats barring that injury.

He was phenomenal in that first 6 months.
I'm amazed he had only played at the level he was at, Ajax/PSV could have taken him much earlier.

I think we would have only seen him for a season or 2 if he hadn't been injured as the likes of Barcelona were rumoured to be keeping an eye on him such was his immediate impact for us. As others have said already what a player he was for those first 6 months, phenomenal!!

That is one turn my grandson will be shown over and over if he continues to attend his football training.
It did not matter what way he went, he was a master at turning either way.

Easily the most gutted I've ever been about losing out on a players full potential for whatever reason

Much like Durrant he came back and was brilliant at times but deep down you knew he wasn't the same. That's what annoys the most. The fact post injury they were still head and shoulders above most in their positions.

To answer the OP he was fucking brilliant.

My first memory of Rangers was the team of 99. Had this man’s name on the back of the NTL home top. My absolute hero alongside Stefan Klos.

The injury against Bayern broke my heart (it wasn’t Kahn’s fault before anyone has a go) - how good do you think he would have been if that didn’t happen?

I was young at the time, but I reckon he would have been good enough to sign for a Champions League contender.

Spent my summer trying to mimic his famous turn (most of the time I fell on my arse).

Pre injury he was thrilling to watch. Could turn on 5P piece.

I remember talking to some Utrecht fans on holiday and they said "he'll win you the Champions league"... he was a class above anything I've ever seen with his back to goal.

Some of his CL performances before the injury were breathtaking.

I'd never seen a player do the things he did before. I remember the day after the Munich game my mate phoned me at work and said "he's out for the season". I was gutted. He'd have absolutely torn the scum defence apart a few weeks later.

On a technical level he was incredible. Still painful to think of that injury and the what might have been.

I remember talking to some Utrecht fans on holiday and they said "he'll win you the Champions league"... he was a class above anything I've ever seen with his back to goal.

Some of his CL performances before the injury were breathtaking.
Playing and pumping a good PSV at home and away, our hopes and expectations went skyward.

That team we had under produced. On our day we were a match for the best. Ask Beckenbauer

There are very few players that make people attend games just to watch them.

At his best, Mols was utterly fantastic. An absolute joy to watch.

Started going to my 1st Rangers games under Advocaat and out all the outstanding players we had I thought Mols was the best. His turn round defenders was unbelievable.

I remember when we were rumoured to sign him, there was a supporter of the other side in the pub I drank in who watched loads of Dutch football. Thought I was gonna get the usual he's a dud talk. Instead he raved and raved about how good a player Rangers were getting and he wasn't lying. I doubt we would have kept on to him too long if he didnt get Injured, pure class, a level above.

he had the greatest start to a rangers career I have ever witnessed he was unbelievable, As many others have said who knows how good he may have been without an injury that would have finished many players

Absolutely loved the guy...a unique player who could make a fool of his opponents with one twist or turn
If he had not got injured in the Bayern game then I honestly think he would have became our best ever centre forward
He could beat a man with ease and he could score with ease
We were defo short changed when he injured himself
As a team we were fantastic that night in Germany, ran over the top of Bayern, yes we lost but what a performance against one of the best teams in the world away from home, even their left back Lizazaru said he had not seen any team do that to Bayern at home
Oh the memories

Without a doubt in the top 3 players I’ve seen play at Ibrox,he would have been our club record sale if it wasn’t for his injury,he’d a ended up down south or in Spain eventually truly world class,that turn was sublime and destroyed defenders in the champions league aswell as the Spl

Brilliant.
Defenders knew what he was going to so but were almost always powerless to stop him.
Great finisher with both feet,wasn't too bad with his noggin either.
A travesty that knee injuries robbed us of Durrant, Kusnetzov and Mols.

For a couple of months the best I’d even seen at Ibrox in that role. Even more than Negri 6 months.

He was fucking insanely brilliant. It got to the point I was pinching myself a couple of months in.

That turn was a thing of beauty. Most defenders were in the front row of the stand before they’d realised he’d gone the other way.

Kamara’s turn to leave Brown for dead in the last filth game reminded of the Mols turn.

For me late 90's until now the number and name that was most intimidating to the opposition was MOLS 9.

Always felt even from a young age he was many levels above our league.

Man was a superstar! Loved seing him at Ibrox, on tv and on the back of my mates tops.

There is no doubt in my mind we signed Mikey at his peak. In my opinion he joined Rangers as the complete striker. His injury robbed him and us of special moments. Alfie is the closest I've seen us have who has the potential to be a Mikey Mols type striker.

If ever a player could I'll afford such an injury. Any other fairly normal injury for him and he'd have been back as good as before it. Cruciate being gubbed meant he never had the same speed and explosiveness as before it.

Ideas of winning the champions league were fanciful, he'd already played in two defeats to Valencia, however I can guarantee no team would have relished the draw with him at 9.

He was breathtaking, would have been one of our greatest players if he had stayed injury free.

Him and Durrant battled back to have great careers but they were never the same.

Up until he got his bad injury had seen nothing like it and Still haven’t saw anyone take the ball in and turn in one movement the way he did. Unbelievable!!

Back