How good was Michael Mols?

Ive still never seen another player who could turn like Michael Mols
Agree his movement was sensational...even down at Fleetwood in Fernando`s game a couple of years ago he still had it(albeit a touch slower obv.);but still enough to have the crowd draw a collective breath at times..... and he was ours!! :cool:

The player he was post injury, and he was a great player post injury, is testament to the phenomenal player he was pre injury. They guy literally had to rethink his whole game post injury as he no longer had the same level of movement.

Could very possibly have been the difference maker for us in Europe and gone on to great things. If he hadn’t been such a nice guy and save Kahn from a sore one his career would have been very different.

Honestly believe he would have turned out to be 1 of the best players in Europe, if not the world. The guy in his first season with us was outstanding. 1 of my favourite Rangers players growing up.

*Did he join us when he was 29 years old? Surely not?

Mols was incredible. Count myself lucky I was able to see him, Laudrup and Gascoigne at the peak of their career in a Rangers jersey.

Absolutely outstanding, during certain spells I genuinely thought he was world class and could not believe he was ours

That bastard Khan!!!

God bless you Mikey!!

Still breaks my heart to think what we missed out on, all because he was too nice/honest to just land on Kahn.

He would genuinely have been one of our all time greats.

He was incredible. Genuinely verging on world class. His whole game was about quick twisting and turning and when he gubbed his knee he was never the same again albeit still a good player.

I'm sure he was the top scorer in the Dutch League the season before we signed him and we beat Ajax to his signature.

My first memory of Rangers was the team of 99. Had this man’s name on the back of the NTL home top. My absolute hero alongside Stefan Klos.

The injury against Bayern broke my heart (it wasn’t Kahn’s fault before anyone has a go) - how good do you think he would have been if that didn’t happen?

I was young at the time, but I reckon he would have been good enough to sign for a Champions League contender.

Spent my summer trying to mimic his famous turn (most of the time I fell on my arse).
Pre Kahn tackle he was awesome!

Bit of a contentious one this. Gio? Numan? Wee Rod? Klos? They were all signed in Advocaats first season, Mols joined the next Summer.

For me he had the potential to have eclipsed all of the above.

That’s not to say those you mentioned aren’t, there was just a feeling when watching MM that we were witnessing something truly special.

Watching him take the ball and turn was poetry in motion , Mols was a special talent

This good

See for all the goal are excellent, it was the sheer fear he put into defenders when he was moving and turning them inside out that stood out for me.

We've had lots of goalscorers. I've never seen anyone at his level for skill at speed including Laudrup and Gascoigne.

Like Thuram says of R9 for defenders, the ball was there and then it wasnt. That's what Mols was doing to Parma and Munich levels of opposition.

It was a complete tragedy what happened to him.

I get the hype but only to an extent-I'm not as convinced as others he would have been an all time great. Some of the comparisons are OTT-he looked tremendous but he simply didn't play enough games at his maximum ability for us to be sure how good he would have been.

If it wasn't for that injury I don't think we would have kept him long. One of the most technically gifted players ever to pull on our jersey.

For me he had the potential to have eclipsed all of the above.

That’s not to say those you mentioned aren’t, there was just a feeling when watching MM that we were witnessing something truly special.

In no way meant that as a denial of Mols ability, merely that he was the first one signed.

My first memory of Rangers was the team of 99. Had this man’s name on the back of the NTL home top. My absolute hero alongside Stefan Klos.

The injury against Bayern broke my heart (it wasn’t Kahn’s fault before anyone has a go) - how good do you think he would have been if that didn’t happen?

I was young at the time, but I reckon he would have been good enough to sign for a Champions League contender.

Spent my summer trying to mimic his famous turn (most of the time I fell on my arse).

He had already signed for a CL contender.

Make no mistake, if he’d not been injured we’d have been real contenders that season for the CL.

Without doubt one of my favourite ever players. He oozed class and could easily have played for any of the top teams in Europe. Absolutely devastated when he got injured.

I remember when we were rumoured to sign him, there was a supporter of the other side in the pub I drank in who watched loads of Dutch football. Thought I was gonna get the usual he's a dud talk. Instead he raved and raved about how good a player Rangers were getting and he wasn't lying. I doubt we would have kept on to him too long if he didnt get Injured, pure class, a level above.
He wasnt playing at a great level before he arrived and neither was he young. At their peaks McCoist was a far superior player. Mols was very very good but git better the longer he was retired.

If we really had a chance to build around him at his pre injury best then he would have no doubt in my mind have went on to be a great of our club.

He was truly world class I think. As a striker he had unbelievable ability, instinct and could finish.

Loved that he still came back and contributed, but clearly wasn't the same.

As amazing as his turns were, and they were as good as any player I have ever seen live. He was actually lethal, scoring volleys/tap ins, a wide variety of goals. Over all, he was one of the finest footballers I have watched, mesmerising and exciting. I, like so many others, thought he was the player that could take us to another level, before his injury.
I still marvel at Micheal Mols talent, a one off.

What an unbelievable player he was. You can't teach the way he turned players inside out...to an extent it was unnatural the way he could twist and turn away from defenders, can't really think of anyone who had that type of movement and awareness in the box with their back to goal and I include the best of the best in that statement. If we had a fit mols for three or four seasons he would be mentioned in our all time 11 in my opinion

It doesn't get talked about enough just how good Michael Mols was.

And what we could've achieved with a fit Michael Mols is one of the biggest What If's in our history.

A fit Mols would have went on to the very top of the game. That injury took away that little bit of magic. A bigger ‘what if’ I cannot recall.

It's been hinted at but not said explicitly: Mikey Mols is an absolute gent and about the nicest man you could ever care to meet.

That match vs Bayern was a real heart-breaker. We absolutely battered them that night.

Edit: Khan did not assault/commit a hard tackle on Mols so away with this pish.

Posh Spice is a hooker
She takes it up both holes
And when she's shaggin Beckham
She dreams of Michael Mols

He's Mols.........

Mols could collect a 60mph pass, turn and he was away. Fk me he was a special talent until that German pwick Oliver Khan fked up his Rangers career. I now wonder if the modern day treatments we have for his type of injury would have sustained his career back then. Who knows.

Back