How important is being entertained ?

No matter what the team is, it's very hard to play against ten men behind the ball personally I hate it but it's the way other teams use to survive, maybe small teams could give the opposition more tickets and boost thier finances
It’s very hard but the problem is that we don’t seem to have a plan to do anything different . It’s the same patterns of play

It's very important because if we are being entertained it means we are playing good football. If we play good football we'll win 99% of our games.

Sorry for this one bud but I reckon Gerrard and Beale know a hell of a lot more about tactics than you, Beale has shown a hell of a lot how good he can tactically set up a team on a football pitch for Rangers, would expect most will be inclined to back him and the coaching team than live in a world of “if we just played this way instead”

Offcourse they know a lot about tactics than me. That’s why they are getting paid 1000s a week to run the team.
Let’s flip it round and ask why If they are so skilled why aren’t they able to come up with a way of winning without it being a slog every week

Offcourse they know a lot about tactics than me. That’s why they are getting paid 1000s a week to run the team.
Let’s flip it round and ask why If they are so skilled why aren’t they able to come up with a way of winning without it being a slog every week
Because football doesn’t always work like that to be honest

We proved last season that we can play entertaining football and also grind out results when needed. For me winning is obviously the ultimate aim of course but I enjoy watching a good game of football. Good creative forward play and passes, high pressing and different types of goals.
I watch Rangers because I support them and have done all my life so I’ll always watch regardless of the brand of football we play but I watch games from all over Europe and and it’s proper entertaining

I love how people think we should be wiping the floor with every team in Scotland. Pretty much every game we play, we're looking at breaking through a 10 man defence. It's not pretty but we're still winning. Just relax and enjoy looking at the league table.

Winning most important thing. But we've surely got to go on a wee run of decent form sometime soon and we can get both winning and some entertainment and goals.

While it’s great that we are at the top of the league, I was wondering how important it is for people to be entertained?
Ultimately winning is the most important thing but I’ll admit that I haven’t actually enjoyed watching us for quite a long time. For the amount of possession we have we really don’t create many chances in games and for long periods of games we look like a mid table team. Am I expecting too much to want entertained while winning aswell when we have a budget that dwarfs everybody in the league other than the Tims
For the older amongst us it wasn’t exactly the Harlem globetrotters under Walter, that said we had Laudrup, Gascoigne, Albertz. Often with six centre halves behind them!

I don’t mind gruelling games in Europe, but we should except to be entertained domestically

I love how people think we should be wiping the floor with every team in Scotland. Pretty much every game we play, we're looking at breaking through a 10 man defence. It's not pretty but we're still winning. Just relax and enjoy looking at the league table.
fair point but we have'nt really wiped the floor with any team all season

dare i say it put if cummins scored that pen yesterday this thread would be alot more different

I want us to be Brazil 1970 during every game and get as frustrated as the next chap if we’re not but ultimately winning is the important factor.

I think different seasons carry different nuances. I currently really miss some of the performances where we dispatched teams with entertaining ease last season, a season we entered into under the most pressure any Rangers side has likely encountered.

However, for me this season is about two things:

Firstly, direct entry to the CL and a likely bounty of around £30M.

Secondly, I strongly suspect this will be Gerrard’s last season with us.

For both those reasons, win at all costs. Entertainment is a distant third.

That all said, results are usually driven by performance, and performance and entertainment often go hand-in-hand. So far very few of our performances this season have been of the level we’re capable of. And when it is down to the whole team underperforming then the alarm bells will start to ring at some stage.

Why do you think this?

Why do you think this?
Just a gut feeling mate. I think we’ll be close to a big turnover of playing staff and I also think SG will be looking around and wondering what else he can achieve here. Couple of wee comments in some pressers that might suggest the recruitment didn’t go the way he’d hoped this summer. Plus it will be hard for him to keep on batting away any interest from other ‘bigger’ clubs down south etc.

As others have indicated, the CL might be the thing that keeps him here. However I think we look like a decent Europa League side. It’s unlikely we’d be competitive in the CL. So would his stock be higher or lower if we got there but had a poor run.

For clarity, I hope I’m wrong and that we have him for a longer period.

Just a gut feeling mate. I think we’ll be close to a big turnover of playing staff and I also think SG will be looking around and wondering what else he can achieve here. Couple of wee comments in some pressers that might suggest the recruitment didn’t go the way he’d hoped this summer. Plus it will be hard for him to keep on batting away any interest from other ‘bigger’ clubs down south etc.

As others have indicated, the CL might be the thing that keeps him here. However I think we look like a decent Europa League side. It’s unlikely we’d be competitive in the CL. So would his stock be higher or lower if we got there but had a poor run.

For clarity, I hope I’m wrong and that we have him for a longer period.

He'll be here for Champions' League football. We may just get pumped in every game but I don't think he'd want to miss out on that. Our run in the cups has also been deeply disappointing; I imagine he'd want to rectify that. With such a poor opposition in the form of Celtic there's really no reason not to win a treble. But, who knows.

He'll be here for Champions' League football. We may just get pumped in every game but I don't think he'd want to miss out on that. Our run in the cups has also been deeply disappointing; I imagine he'd want to rectify that. With such a poor opposition in the form of Celtic there's really no reason not to win a treble. But, who knows.
Hope you’re right. Time will tell.

While it’s great that we are at the top of the league, I was wondering how important it is for people to be entertained?
Ultimately winning is the most important thing but I’ll admit that I haven’t actually enjoyed watching us for quite a long time. For the amount of possession we have we really don’t create many chances in games and for long periods of games we look like a mid table team. Am I expecting too much to want entertained while winning aswell when we have a budget that dwarfs everybody in the league other than the Tims
Entertainment is not recorded in history books, although not sure my heart will take these close run games!

At our level of financial and therefore player superiority over the rest of the league, we should be entertaining. Unfortunately teams either want to play a low block or indeed kick us off the park aided and abetted by poor officials. Last season without the baying crowds referees seemed more inclined to referee to the rules, ironically they seem to be clueless when stadiums are predominated by our fans.

Scottish top level football is so negative that if it were the rule globally it would get football banned. Serie A during the golden years of ‘football Italia’ had defenders like Maldini making defending look like a glamorous art form. His sidekick Baresi was the hard man, but let’s face it he was no Ross Tokeley or Brian Irvine. He was an elegant footballer with a determined, hard edge.

Scottish football has flatlined, it has died, but those who run it haven’t noticed, they were happy to flog a dead horse as long as the filth were the dominant force. I have no problem with teams deploying a defensive shape, happens in Europe a lot, what I do have a problem with is base thuggery openly acquiesced in by the powers that be and our officials.

Some of our number have become a tad disaffected by the predictability of our play this season. This coupled with the fact that our almost impregnable defence from last season, looks to be porous and uncertain, whilst our creative players and forwards are not firing on all cylinders.

Our players must be made to understand, that winning the title at Rangers, no matter how pivotal and important that title was. Does not mean that you can rest on your laurels and go through the motions the next season. Which would seem to be the issue from what we have seen thus far.

We cannot have been so far ahead of the chasing pack last season and given that those clubs have not (barring the filth) invested significantly be toiling against the same fodder today. We require to get back to our dominant, entertaining best to make sure that the slam dunk we have been afforded this season is indeed a slam dunk to the £40m fortune.

The more nervous our support becomes in regard to toothless, nervous, unentertaining performances the more nervous our players will become. Football is an entertainment/results business, at the moment our league results are acceptable, but certainly not remarkable. It is in Europe where we have seen the biggest drop in our standards from Slavia Prague onwards.

We are too predictable and workmanlike and ironically it was when we were much more risk averse and entertaining that we got our most remarkable results. I say to our players, let’s get back to entertaining, taking risks and winning with panache, whilst knowing fine and well that we can win ugly when required.

Genuinely not an issue for me.

Give me 38 1-0 turgid victories over a mish mash or results we've seen previously.

Rangers winning is all that should matter, it's not an entertainment industry.

The away support at full time was more than happy with Saturday's 'display'.

People ask me why I go to every game ?

Answer:- "For every rubbish game there are mediocre games then there are games where we are good then games we are superb."

So if you pick and choose you mights always get the former rather than the latter.

If you want or expect to be "entertained" every game you are going to be very dis-appointed - maybe just stop going for a while and then perhaps realise how much you miss going.

Come the end of the season when Tav waves the big silver thing at us only the perma-moaners will give a shiny shite how it was won.
This all day long.

Remember 1-0 to the Arsenal. I’ll take that all season long if it brings a league title and champions league football and revenue.

It could be real turning point for the club.

I have watched Rangers play great ‘entertaining‘ football on many occasions over the last 70 years. On a number of those occasions we lost. Did I think I came away thinking “That was entertaining and I am happy”. No!!! Give me a turgid 1-0 win any day. Now that’s entertainment for me.

Last season we would have taken the league in any way possible. This season people are annoyed we are not being entertained.

If anything, this shows we are back where we belong. We should be expecting the best, but I won't be annoyed if we keep winning either.

You are onto something big.....the thing I get less and less...is you turn up pay for a seat in many cases stretching yourself financially to do it. You demand totally accountability from the players and club....yet you could help that goal be achieved by showing some accountability yourself....not senseless criticism, not personal abuse to our own players, not nagging and complaining through the whole game. Nope you demand the best and ignore the single thing you can do on the day-try to encourage and spark the team.

If you sit at Ibrox and around you you cannot locate at least 6 fans who turn up every week absolutely with the most negative mindset you can find....then you have a much better seat than me.

I think it's actually worse in overall historical context considering 55 and indeed what the club have been through.
I thought 55 would make most of them calm the fuck down a bit. They seem even angrier this year after having to bottle it all up while we were having the best league season in the past 100 years last time around.

crush-your-enemies-see-them-driven-before-you-hear-the-lamentations-of-their-women.jpg

I get allllll my RDA of Footballing Entertainment from the salt mines known as Social Media.

In all seriouness, It's not the Gaffer's fault 96% of the Scottish game is made up of backward shitebags. It's very difficult to play free flowing football during a game of hack the bawhair.

So long as every man carries the weight of the Rangers jersey and leaves everything but 3pts on the park, I'm a happy Bear.

I love the game, in all its varying styles and '' philosophies '' I've seen it all before. If I want entertainment I'm free to go seek it elsewhere.

Winning entertains me.

That’s the important part, playing well is a bonus - so long as we have the shiny things come May.
This is my answer too. When we have won I feel great, if we do it with a swagger fantastic, but I won’t enjoy a swashbuckling defeat no matter how good we were!
I rarely enjoy an old firm until we have won, or miles ahead early on, but by god do I enjoy the feeling of being victorious once it’s over.

as an auld buzzard, i used to have a thought that i wanted entertained at league games and win a cup tie at any means.
of course i had slim jim, ralph brand etc.
todays football is hardly entertaining, wherever you watch it.
sorry younger fans, i was spoiled.

I think the paying public deserve to watch a team who at least try to entertain, which we do in the main. If all that matters is the result, then why watch? Most opposition teams aren’t interested in entertaining the fans or even trying to score (Livingston at Ibrox). Time wasting tactics such as Motherwell employed recently is cheating the paying public IMO, along with sub standard football on plastic pitches. Neither should be tolerated. There is a good reason why our league can’t attract decent sponsorship money, if you were a neutral would you watch it?

PS - I have mostly felt entertained watching our European ties since Gerrard arrived.

its football take what you get
some days its magic we win
some days its terrible and we sneak it ....

all apart of it

To be fair, a lot of our fans don’t watch football out with Rangers. I find that baffling, but they obviously have their reasons and I respect that!.

I'm one of them.

I don't particularly care for football outside of Rangers tbh. Although when I was younger and had fewer responsibilities, I'd watch a lot of EPL games.

How people can sit and watch say a Bundesliga match after we've dropped points is beyond me. (Same folk who describe the week we lost away to Malmo as "absolutely brilliant for the coefficient" ;) )

To be fair Celtic are probably entertaining us more than Rangers at the moment.
Which is a nice substitute.

Watching Most weeks is not entertaining but that’s not down to Rangers, it’s down to how the opposition set up. Watching us in Europe is like watching a proper game of football. Therefore at the end of the day it is how it is and winning against the shite in this country satisfies me enough.

This is my answer too. When we have won I feel great, if we do it with a swagger fantastic, but I won’t enjoy a swashbuckling defeat no matter how good we were!
I rarely enjoy an old firm until we have won, or miles ahead early on, but by god do I enjoy the feeling of being victorious once it’s over.
Remember how entertaining we were playing celtic off the park in the LC final? We had chances galore, before we even get to the offside goal. Happy? was I f**k.

• Love
Reactions: TQ3
Pretty important, I would say, but it can depend on circumstances.

This season I don't care so much. Win the league. Give the fans that chance to celebrate a title win with pretty much the same players as last season. It's all that matters.

Going forward though if we are going to get a 3 or 4 in a row then at some point I'd like to change the management team and get a bit of a different system going. I am sure Gerrard will move on at some point anyway and wouldn't be surprised if we won a treble this year to see him moving on.

If we ended up with them winning 2 or 3 in a row again then I'd be saying "to hell with entertainment win that bloody league title by any means necessary".

Right now I am OK with the league position and the points total but really wish we could start performing to our top potential.

And Walter was a realist in those games. Messi's comment disappointed me, because the defending part was a skill, and Walter was one of the finest tacticians around; he deserved better plaudits after those games. The suggestion that we played like that all the time was allowed as a means to define much of his style, and it just wasn't true; the 1996 SC Cup Final is a case in point, and there other numerous games to prove it wasn't as well.
Messi is a wee dick and always has been so I wouldn’t have worried about it.

You didn’t enjoy watching us last season?

We’ve been pretty turgid this season but I’m less concerned about entertainment value than I am about thinking better teams will take advantage of our poor play.

You didn’t enjoy watching us last season?

We’ve been pretty turgid this season but I’m less concerned about entertainment value than I am about thinking better teams will take advantage of our poor play.

I loved watching us until December then after that ( the odd game apart) I thought teams worked us out and we became pretty boring. That has continued in to this season. The main thing will always be winning but there shouldn’t be a trade off between entertainment and winning in the Scottish league with our budget

I don't actually think it's as binary as it is, or, it isn't.

I think many supporters will be happy enough with boring conservative football as long as it is getting the desired results consistently, but, only for a period of time.

There are loads of examples where this goodwill / tolerance of the boring games runs out and fans get sick of it.

By the same token, I see more tolerance within supporters when results are below expectations when the football is entertaining and good fun.

I think if we need to forego entertainment for this season then so be it.
We need to get 56 and the financial rewards that come with it.
We can then looking at building a team that will both win and entertain.

In an ideal world I’d like to win with style, but as that’s no possible every game, give me wins before entertainment any day of the week, you get fook all for playing nice football if you don’t win games

Reactions: TQ3
Back