How long can you see the Gaffer staying?

He'll leave when he leaves. Ultimately it's his life and his career, and whenever his departure from the club comes we have to respect it. Hopefully it'll be after several league titles, starting next spring.

Just enjoy having him as our manager now.

Until one of the following happens:

A. Liverpool come for him, or
B. The filth win the next 2 titles.

There is only so long he can live apart from his family and his little boy in particular. It's a huge sacrifice he is making, day to day.

I think he will be with us next season, but beyond that I'd start to worry.

And let's be honest, like many before him, he will just get ground down and fed up with the backwater that is Scottish football.

2 more seasons absolute max.

And I say that as someone who strongly suggested his appointment in October 2017 when Pedro got sacked, to much ridicule on here.

Gerrard needs to build a track record before he moves on.

We all think he's done a fantastic job but we haven't won anything yet. No cups, no league titles, we haven't progressed out of the Europa group stages and we haven't been in the CL.

None of that is a criticism of Gerrard. But if he is to move to a big job then he needs to win titles and cups and he needs to impress in the CL. I think he will want to stay at Rangers until he does because we offer him the best chance of doing that.
He’s restored many of the intangibles which make Rangers, Rangers. However, in the cold light of day- the tangibles at Rangers are big bright shiny things.
Like it or not, that’s what he’ll be judged on, and that’s what will lead to enticing offers from elsewhere.

I genuinely believe his frustration with the Scottish football set up and authorities will mean his stay is shorter than it should be .

Im confident he will be here until the end of next season but after that really is anyone’s guess . It depends on what jobs he is offered .

It’s well known in football circles he is utterly frustrated , aghast and dumbfounded by the way our game is run/played/officiated . I just hope if he gets the taste of trophies it may help balance out his sadly accurate negativity about Scottish football .

He has made no secret of where he sees our game is needing modernised , and privately has ridiculed the fact we had to play aberdeen and Kilmarnock SEVEN times each in one season . All of our staff feel that is an utterly farcical set up .Wee Beale himself also questioned the sanity of our game .

If he wins the title he’ll be gone in a year or too. And he’s not holding out for a direct move to Liverpool, if a decent Premier League offer him the chance to coach in the big leagues he’ll take it because it’ll only strengthen his chances of eventually landing the Liverpool gig.
I agree with this as much as we’ve disagreed before, he isn’t leaving us straight to Liverpool imo.

It’s Liverpool or nowhere, so long as he’s successful at Rangers.

If we’re winning, he’s well paid and financially backed he’ll be happy here for years.

Only potential fly in the ointment would be a really big European gig, but I don't think that appeals right now.

Look what he has done so far. Imagine how good we will be next season under his leadership and we have only just started this one. His European results with us speak for themselves. Hope he stays and sees out his contract at least.

If he wins the title he’ll be gone in a year or too. And he’s not holding out for a direct move to Liverpool, if a decent Premier League offer him the chance to coach in the big leagues he’ll take it because it’ll only strengthen his chances of eventually landing the Liverpool gig.
If he wins the league and does well in Europe he would not need to go to a decent premier League to prove hinself, it's a lot harder for us to be successful in Europe than even a half decent premier side giving the finances they receive. He might even want to stay here a bit longer.

Supporting,playing and managing Rangers grabs your heart as we know so it could be SG gets smitten and hangs around for years. Family issues apart.

He will stay untill at least to the end of his present contract,and who knows if we are competing in the Champions league he might well get a new contract. That's what I hope for anyway.

Gerrard doesn't strike me as a pound chaser.. He could of left Liverpool in his playing days for bigger bucks and league titles elsewhere. He chose to stay!! He will be here until the day after Klopp leaves Liverpool.

I genuinely believe his frustration with the Scottish football set up and authorities will mean his stay is shorter than it should be .

Im confident he will be here until the end of next season but after that really is anyone’s guess . It depends on what jobs he is offered .

It’s well known in football circles he is utterly frustrated , aghast and dumbfounded by the way our game is run/played/officiated . I just hope if he gets the taste of trophies it may help balance out his sadly accurate negativity about Scottish football .

He has made no secret of where he sees our game is needing modernised , and privately has ridiculed the fact we had to play aberdeen and Kilmarnock SEVEN times each in one season . All of our staff feel that is an utterly farcical set up .Wee Beale himself also questioned the sanity of our game .
First I’ve heard of this.

Gerrard doesn't strike me as a pound chaser.. He could of left Liverpool in his playing days for bigger bucks and league titles elsewhere. He chose to stay!! He will be here until the day after Klopp leaves Liverpool.

I agree

Don't think he is motivated by dosh right now. Carefully building his reputation ready for the Liverpool job.

Do you know Gerrard personally?

I really hope he does stay for the remainder of his contract. Us winning 55 and Liverpool winning the EPL this season would be superb for both clubs. SG would love it and experience a Rangers title winning party that would be the best of all time under his management, hopefully wanting him to stay for more. Plus side to that could probably be that Klopp gets a contract extension also and SG is happy to wait for his chance at Liverpool, while gaining every bit of experience here and in Europe.

Btw I don't want him to leave at all but can see him at Liverpool eventually and do hope he goes there with a CV at Rangers to be proud of.

First I’ve heard of this.

Look back on the past 18 months tenure of Gerrard . Listen to his interviews - he doesn’t hide it . He’s spoken about officials , even this weekend again . How they allow roughhouse challenges and it affects the whole style of play in Scotland . He’s spoken about half empty stadiums , about how the cameras should be set up to make stadiums look fuller to tv audiences . He spoke at a presser openly laughing about playing Aberdeen and Kilmarnock 7 times. Wee Beale on the H&H podcast goes into more detail on all these frustrations. The list goes on , kick off times after european games , compliance , and so forth .

People really pretending they didn’t know all this stuff ? He’s been crystal clear on it .

Look back on the past 18 months tenure of Gerrard . Listen to his interviews - he doesn’t hide it . He’s spoken about officials , even this weekend again . How they allow roughhouse challenges and it affects the whole style of play in Scotland . He’s spoken about half empty stadiums , about how the cameras should be set up to make stadiums look fuller to tv audiences . He spoke at a presser openly laughing about playing Aberdeen and Kilmarnock 7 times. Wee Beale on the H&H podcast goes into more detail on all these frustrations. The list goes on , kick off times after european games , compliance , and so forth .

People really pretending they didn’t know all this stuff ? He’s been crystal clear on it .
Anything he’s mentioned in that regard has came across as a slight annoyance rather than a serious issue if that’s what you’re basing it on.

Another 2 seasons, he will want to cut his teeth in the Champs League to show he can get the job he really really wants

Can't ever see Gerrard wanting to manage against Liverpool be a bit like Walter Smith trying to beat Rangers for another team. He's Liverpool through and through and turned down the chance to play for other English clubs a few times I can't see his heart would ever be into beating Liverpool no matter how much money a club puts in front of him.

If the Liverpool job is not available when he thinks it's time to move on I think he'll go abroad or even England gaffer.

Every second thread on here is about someone leaving, or when we think they’ll leave.

Whether it be Gerrard, Morelos, Goldson, Barisic and so on.

Dreary fuckers.

Any time Morelos scores there's an immediate thread asking how much we think he's now worth and whether or not we should sell him in January or make him see out the season. It's soul destroying.

Liverpool is his last managerial position, not his next one.

He will see out his 4 years with us and if we have regular CL participation by then he may do a few more years.

He wont manager anyone in England except Liverpool so will only leave us for a decent team in Italy, Germany or Spain until his coveted Liverpool job comes up.

We are the perfect fit for him cutting hos teeth (football daft city football demands plus crazy parochial media attention) with an easy route to Europe every year.

He will be in no rush to leave although a big league job with big budgets will need to be added to his CV before he gets a shot at Liverpool when you take into account Liverpool's current trajectory.

Lets relax and enjoy his time with us. He will see out his four years with us as an absolute minimum.

Genuinely think as a man of honour that he will see out his contract though if Liverpool job came knocking he would go. He hasn’t made a secret of this so I would be fine with it.

I’m just going to enjoy every minute he is with us. It’s magic

Who knows, if he doesnt win trophies then the decision may be out of his hands.
Personaly i think he will go down to england but not straight to Liverpool, no way they will risk their position with a rookie manager.

If he wins the league and does well in Europe he would not need to go to a decent premier League to prove hinself, it's a lot harder for us to be successful in Europe than even a half decent premier side giving the finances they receive. He might even want to stay here a bit longer.

Not really mate. There’s a much bigger element of luck in Cup football. To base someone’s quality off of one of those is a gamble. Roberto Di Matteo is a champions league winning manager.

The kind of man that he is, I can't see him leaving us without winning no matter who comes calling(Liverpool aside obviously) as a born winner, that wouldn't sit well with him!! Just my opinion of course. I also don't think he would manage any other EPL team!! He said himself he won't be one of them managers with loads of clubs on his CV and he gets us, what we are about, our history and traditions, we are a huge proud club and institution with a massive, passionate and devoted fan base (best on the planet!!) a proper football club, same as his Liverpool, can't see him giving that up for some mid table side with no realistic chance of ever winning the league or to some soulless money rich mob!!

I think he is a bit frustrated with certain things up here(who can blame him) but not enough that it would force him to go!! I think he will atleast see our his contract and with having CL football from next season onward he will want a good crack at it and hopefully he extends his stay, he has brought our Rangers back, 55 is gonna be the ultimate!!

In Stevie G we trust!!

WATP!!

Hopefully he fulfills his 4 year contract and possibly stays for longer!
SG is the kind of guy who has a very clear vision of his career path. He's already said he doesn't see himself managing many teams. 2, or maybe 3 teams he says. It's obvious these teams are Rangers, Liverpool, and England.
So the answer to your question is our manager will be with us until Klopp leaves Liverpool, or the England job is offered to him.

I'd love to see him here for the 4 years and beyond. I tend to think though that if he doesn't win the league this season then he'll be under incredible pressure and that the next (ie his 3rd) might be the last one, win or lose that season. Such is the bampottery of life at Rangers (or indeed at the scumhut).

I'm also still dubious about the assertion from a lot of people that he'll only leave us for Liverpool. He's an astute guy with time on his side. He could afford - for example - to take a gig in one of the European leagues for a couple of seasons just to learn and develop a bit further in a different environment, sort of rounding off his training a bit. Exceedingly few managers stay at clubs for very long terms these days. Suppose he even eventually has a 6 or 7 year stint at Anfield at some point, he's not even 40 yet just now. No point peaking too early when he could still have another chunk of time to make sure he's even better suited for his ultimate job.
I don't see stevie g leaving the UK.

He will see out his contract at Rangers.

His dream job, liverpool will hinge on what he achieves at Rangers hopefully all goes well

I blank the thought out of my mind. The day will come and I am dreading it so try not to think of it.

Gerrard will stay until the Liverpool job or England job come up. I honestly can’t see him leaving to go anywhere else. he won’t want to manage a team against Liverpool week in week out and he doesn’t strike me as a guy who will want to manage oversea.

here is a question for some of you. Has it surprised you how quickly Gerrard has fell under the Rangers spell? He lives the club and I’m not sure if he fully expected the size of the club and the passion of the fans to be just as great as it is. We will remind him a lot of Liverpool.

i fully expect Gerrard to see out his four years and depending on what happens if no bid comes in from Liverpool or England I expect him to stay on. One thing for sure, one of the biggest players of the modern era will always have a soft spot for rangers ongoing

I see Gerrard as a man of princikple

he will see out his contract then get the LIVERPOOL job

I don't agree, Liverpool is the only English team he will manage, a move anywhere else in England is too big a risk to his reputation

I'm sure he said he left England as he didn't want to play against Liverpool, I doubt he wants to be managing against them domestically, if that is how he felt as a player. I don't think it is a stretch to say he has a gentleman's agreement with Liverpool to gain the experience here over 4 years and 200+ games, win some silverware and compete in Europe. If he can do that with a Rangers side that was miles behind the scum when he took over and couldn't get passed the first Europa round, I'm not sure how avoiding relegation or finishing mid table in England with a club outside the top 6, is really going to look any better to a Liverpool board that are already well aware of him. It makes sense for a normal manager to go to England to try get noticed more by a big club, but Gerrard only needs to prove he has what it takes, he already has their attention.

I’m beginning to wonder how far he can go as a manager, as a managerial novice he’s turned us around with a limited budget and players of a certain level. Where could he take a club like Liverpool with a few years more experience, no financial restrictions, and the freedom to sign literally any player in the world?

He will want a few titles and a Euro final on his manager CV first ;)
He will definitely want Rangers to seriously impact in Europe. It won't be a move to Liverpool because he was a former player, it will be a move to Liverpool because of what he does in Europe

Back