How long did you think it would take us to fully recover from 2012?

Sent to the bottom of Scottish football basically disabled the club from functioning properly financially for around 5 years. In that time the only main competitor had been banking all their winnings awaiting our return. What we didn’t bank on was a corrupt Scottish football from the top to the bottom aiding the bheasts to every success. I really can’t see any silverware until this is challenged.

The thing is they seem to either splash the cash( on Rodgers) or find another gear when we get close. I wouldn't be surprised if next season's CL cash goes on a high profile signing just to keep us at bay.
It will be going on a high profile compensation pay out hopefully.

That is in the unlikely event that they even make the group stages

We were already on the slippery slope by appointing McCoist. He blew nearly half his transfer budget on Wallace when our current left back had been one of our most consistent performers for the previous 5 years or so.

He signed the likes of Ortiz, Bedoya, Celik and Matt McKay who despite being captain of Australia didn’t play him.

Did we not blow a 10 point or so lead that season when the players went from Smith’s to McCoist’s tactics.

Circumstances took over for the following season but instead of building foundations with youth he blew nearly a £1million on Templeton, signed the likes of Faure, Stella, Black, Argriou, Sandaza, Cribari, Mohsni, Peralta, Simonsen, Cammy Bell, Clark, Zaliukas, and Kris Boyd who scored 3 goals in over 30 championship games.

The money wasted in the years under McCoist was staggering and set us back ten fold anything Warburton or Pedro did.

We couldn’t even win the Ramsdens Cup ffs under McCoist.

Warburton took over with absolutely nothing. He done his job first time of asking and got us out the championship. Spending just over £1/2million, his second season signings were a joke however he left us with players that made us money. Waghorn, Windass. We should have made money on Wes but at least got our monies worth and some, same with Tav.

Warburton only spent around £2.5 million total, with Joey Garner accounting for half of that.

Pedro inherited Warburton’s second season shambles, but only spent just over £5million net. He brought us Candeias who we got our monies worth and some, Jack and Morelos who will make us a huge profit. Despite what people think he also managed to entice European Championship winner Bruno Alves. A bit like Warburton and his key midfield signing Kranjcar, Dorrans Pedro’s second highest purchase hardly played due to injury.

Where would we be if we hadn’t signed Lafferty, Sadiq, Coulibaly, Worrall, Ejaria, Grezda, Polster, Jones, Stewart, King, Hastie. What have we got in return from them ?

Little, McKay, MacLeod, Perry, Crawford, Aird, Heggarty, Hutton were all regular starters under McCoist and all products of our youth system.

Hemmings, Mitchell, Gasparotto, Cole all got a shot as well.

Plenty young players played so you are talking rubbish.

All our top youth players left.

Facts are only MacLeod shone really and he was sold at the first opportunity.

Blaming McCoist is a nonsense.

At the outset I was naively hopeful after Whyte was ousted and Walter came into the fold that we may be back challenging within four or five years.

Once it became apparent that we’d been lifted out of the frying pan only to be dumped into the fire, certainly around the time of Somers and The Chuckle Brothers, I began to fear that we may never recover at all.

With hindsight it’s taken us 7 or 8 years to get back to something approaching where we were and may take another couple of years to finally reach to the top of the pile again.

So a decade all in, which was probably always the likely timeframe.

The bottom line is, if good rangers men had been given control of the club, we could have saved to substantial funds to come back very strong with huge cash reserves.

But, our club was handed to speculative investors, who a) took a massive slice of the money we made from tickets b) sold our assets (like the strip deal) for prices massively below market value. C) who knew they were getting out as soon as the fans stopped filling their pockets and they had nothing left to sell.

It is a complete farce that the second option became reality, how the liquidators found the later option to be best got the club when Smith had an offer on the table is a joke. (Let's be honest, the whole thing was mapped out from the day Whyte took over). And even a court found them all clean.

That is why we are at where we are today. Fact

Should have been done and dusted in no more than five years with a proper plan covering both the finances and the playing side.

In year 1 we should not have been signing Premier League players. We should have cut our cloth and banked much of the season ticket money (assuming that there would be nobody in charge syphoning it off). We should have been capable of winning Div 2 with a mixture of the experienced players we had left like Wallace and McCulloch with the youth supplemented with some Championship/Div 1 signings who wouldn't cost a fortune in transfer money or wages - guys with a proven record in the lower leagues but a level above Div 2.

Year 2 - again bank most of the ST money and enhance the squad with players mainly signed from the level above. That ought to have been sufficient to win Div 1.

In years 1 and 2 you need to accept there to be no success in either of the cups and hope you don't draw one of the top teams.

Year 3 - Now we begin spending on Premier League players. Sufficient to win the Championship and, potentially, take us to the Quarters of one of the cups.

Year 4 - Having banked much of the ST money the previous 3 years we should now have a not insignificant war chest to fund a proper challenge. Possibly ambitious to expect to take the title in our first year back but top six as a minimum requirement, Europe a realistic goal and target the Semis/Final in both Cups hopefully winning one of them.

Year 5 - Further investment and we ought to have been ready to mount a serious challenge for all trophies including the league title.

As most have said we could not anticipate the shitfest it was to become with the spivs robbing the club of any money we invested. It ought to have been achievable, however, within 5 years if it wasn't for the total mess we made of it both in the boardroom and on the pitch - we overspent in the lower leagues and failed to achieve even the most modest of targets for a club of our size and finances.

It is only now that it feels as if we are finally on the right track both in the boardroom and on the pitch but there is clearly still much work to be done. The MSM will attempt to tarnish or undermine anything positive we do - such as employing SG or challenging the SPFL corruption. Don't be fooled and don't let them divert us from the path back to the top. We are on the right lines and need to persevere. To stop and start again puts us further away from our ultimate goal so, despite the mistakes that have been made recently, lets keep the faith.

How the %^*& can people still think this was a serious possibility for us?

We "wasted" nothing

McCoist fought tooth and nail just to keep us alive and then we were raped and plundered by crooks for years.

Only since Dave King got control have we been in a situation to try and be a proper football club, but it was basically starting from scratch.

My head told me ten years , so season 2022 for the league . However my heart said it could well be sooner . We basically did win a cup last year , it was taken away from us by Collum . Pressure now starting to build as we are approaching the point where we are absolutely choking for that feeling again of being winners .

In 2012 I thought minimum 5 years to get back to where we belong.
But that was if we got it right. I did not expect or understand the level of asset stripping that the Sp ivs would engage in, that has obviously cost us time & money.
Neither did I expect us to get it wrong in managers, McCoist, Warburton, Pedro, the time & money wasted on that has also set us back.
I still think we are well behind them on the field, players & manager, behind them in off field structure & behind them in finance.
W/o a significant financial investment, better players & an experienced manager I see us behind them for a while longer.
Far too many of the challenges since 2012 has been self inflicted mistakes.

What's your point?

If the spivs didnt burn through the money on wages it would have been on something else

They would have got their pals to give us some shitty service for an exorbitant costs. Their end game was to use all pur cash as quickly as possible and steal as much of it as possible.

My point is pretty self explanatory, there was no need to have the second highest wage bill in the country while playing postmen and taxi drivers in the 4th tier of Scottish Football.

A sensibly run club would have sailed through the 3rd and 2nd divisions spending a 10th of what we spent. Money that should have been held in reserve for when we got to the top flight.

Its all woulda coulda shoulda at this point however.

My point is pretty self explanatory, there was no need to have the second highest wage bill in the country while playing postmen and taxi drivers in the 4th tier of Scottish Football.

A sensibly run club would have sailed through the 3rd and 2nd divisions spending a 10th of what we spent. Money that should have been held in reserve for when we got to the top flight.

Its all woulda coulda shoulda at this point however.

You still don't get it

I remember them them signing “here we go 10 in a row” when they were 3-0 down to Juventus, I think it was, when we were in the 3rd division and thinking to myself “no way will they win 10 in a row”. I assumed we’d be able to stop them. Naivety, I suppose.

My head told me ten years , so season 2022 for the league . However my heart said it could well be sooner . We basically did win a cup last year , it was taken away from us by Collum . Pressure now starting to build as we are approaching the point where we are absolutely choking for that feeling again of being winners .
The LCF was a sickening blow.

The attitude of some on here got me worried that we might never recover - not that we really will have until 55, but winning that's now inevitable.

I didn’t have any specific time line, I was more concerned about having a team to support tbh. This is why I don’t get on the team and managers back too much. I expect we will win a title by 2022 and I am content with that, the Pedro fiasco set us back a bit when you look and Gerrard is steadily improving us year on year.

The only fear I felt was that we would lose a generation of ‘young bears’ coming through the ranks. During the spiv years with the boycotts I’d stand by the rails opposite the Main stand on match day and have a coffee just to watch the ‘old&bold’ walk by, not many youngsters. SG has lifted quite literally the entire club by the scruff of the neck from mediocrity and back to the what we are accustomed to. We still aren’t there but by Christ I think the current setup throughout the entire club is potentially better than anything over the past 20years. We keep going and we will get there. I feel the current COVID situation is another opportunity to bring the youth players through, we missed the opportunity in Div-3. Never forget what we have been through, it has made us stronger-we were a baw hair away from total wipeout in 2012 so in answer to the question I felt it would take a generation to recover but now I’m extremely optimistic and the old vintage engine is kicking back into gear :)
My youngest brother is finally getting into football and I was worried he wasn’t, my middle brother completely neglected football. My youngest (9 years old) is now a huge Gerrard fan boy and has been begging for me to take him to a game.

You should look back and see the amount of young players that we tried to play through the lower divisions - very few were good enough.
I’ve argued with folk on here before about this, many young players played Little , Crawford Perry , Hutton, Murdoch, Gallagher, Hemmings, Walsh, McLeod, Mitchell, Aird, McKay and I could go on and on. Just none were good enough and I include McKay in that. If I’m correct the youth team round about that team routinely got thumped by Celtic in record defeat margins.

My youngest brother is finally getting into football and I was worried he wasn’t, my middle brother completely neglected football. My youngest (9 years old) is now a huge Gerrard fan boy and has been begging for me to take him to a game.
I would say get the lad to a game but that’s not happening anytime soon. Get him watching the old matches and invest in the new Castore top for him! I was 9 years old for my first match in 92’ against Airdrie in a early season cup match, I’ve been hooked since :) It’s great to see the youngsters at Ibrox-they will be the lifeblood of the Club in years to come.

How the %^*& can people still think this was a serious possibility for us?

We "wasted" nothing

McCoist fought tooth and nail just to keep us alive and then we were raped and plundered by crooks for years.

Only since Dave King got control have we been in a situation to try and be a proper football club, but it was basically starting from scratch.

People just willingly ignore we were financially raped twice

I would say get the lad to a game but that’s not happening anytime soon. Get him watching the old matches and invest in the new Castore top for him! I was 9 years old for my first match in 92’ against Airdrie in a early season cup match, I’ve been hooked since :) It’s great to see the youngsters at Ibrox-they will be the lifeblood of the Club in years to come.
Yeah mate it’s a bit of a relief :) we watched the 4 games on BT last night and he enjoyed it, I usually buy him jack 8 on his jersey but wants Hagi this season.

I really did think it would be 10 years and my view has not changed.
Although I hope we can do it next season I think we are probably still a little way short.
The upside of the current crisis is that I genuinely think that will be an opportunity to get out of Scotland within the next 12 months.
I can see the SPFL in its current format going to the wall.

10 years was my initial expectation but we were then further handicapped by the Spivs, Ashley etc and that set us back possibly 3 years. The appointment of Pedro was another setback, a whole season was a write off after 2 weeks...

Still, we are here regardless, and things can change fast in football.

Little, McKay, MacLeod, Perry, Crawford, Aird, Heggarty, Hutton were all regular starters under McCoist and all products of our youth system.

You are blinded by his goals. McCoist was terrible.

I thought we would not win any majors for 5-6 years . We robbed ourselves of the chance to burst that in 2016 with the Cup v Hibs.
As for the League I never thought we would win it under Warbs (after 5-1) or Pedro(ever). I HOPED we would we win it after Dec29 this season.
Celtic still have a much stronger squad than ourselves so we might need to accept coming close next season would still be progress
I think Gerrard is the man but need to be patient.
I'm not in the slighest phased by Celtic's totting up titles. It means nothing in the context of real football history.

I didn’t have any specific time line, I was more concerned about having a team to support tbh. This is why I don’t get on the team and managers back too much. I expect we will win a title by 2022 and I am content with that, the Pedro fiasco set us back a bit when you look and Gerrard is steadily improving us year on year.
Totally agree - our club was on life support with less than 10% chance of survival. We should never forget how close we came to oblivion.

Totally agree - our club was on life support with less than 10% chance of survival. We should never forget how close we came to oblivion.
I was 11 when we last one a title so obviously didn’t get to savour it as much or appreciate it as much, it just means next time we do it it’ll be all the sweeter for me personally. It’s a part of our history , a dark part but it’s there none the less.

I remember thinking that we'd come back and be stronger than them in our first season back. My thinking was that we'd instill an Ajax style mentality in the lower leagues, play to full houses whilst paying sensible wages and creating a war chest for our first season back in the SPL to supplement a team full of home grown talent.

Where we are now should have maybe been 3 years ago.
Sounds about right. What I hadn’t counted on was the inability of successive managers to sign sufficient players with the mentality to be a Rangers player. Loanees and lower league English journeymen don’t seem to be the answer. The Academy is our main hope I suppose and it will need to start bearing fruit soon.

I remember thinking that we'd come back and be stronger than them in our first season back. My thinking was that we'd instill an Ajax style mentality in the lower leagues, play to full houses whilst paying sensible wages and creating a war chest for our first season back in the SPL to supplement a team full of home grown talent.
That could/should have been the plan , home grown players or picking off the best we played against and taking them up the divisions.

Sounds about right. What I hadn’t counted on was the inability of successive managers to sign sufficient players with the mentality to be a Rangers player. Loanees and lower league English journeymen don’t seem to be the answer. The Academy is our main hope I suppose and it will need to start bearing fruit soon.
Yes, its been there for 20 years or so.
No wonder Billy Gilmour went south.
There have been at 6 players per season that should have never been near Rangers.
Eg, barker, grezda,lafferty recently.
I think 15-18 quality players and youngsters.

Little, McKay, Aird, Hemings, Mitchell, Gasparotto were not products of our youth system.

Heggarty played 2 games for us, Cole 3 I think.

I also think Perry and Hutton had played for the first team before McCoist took over.

That leaves Robbie Crawford and Lewis MacLeod.

So in a nutshell no offence but you are the one talking rubbish.

Clearly you can’t seperate McCoist the player from McCoist the worst manager in our history.

Little, McKay, Aird, Hemings, Mitchell, Gasparotto were not products of our youth system.

I also think Perry and Hutton had played for the first team before McCoist took over.

Clearly you can’t seperate McCoist the player from McCoist the worst manager in our history.

Heggarty played 29 games that season.

You are arguing over semantics... that list of players were all out our youth teams so your assertion that we did not use any young players is absolute bullshit.

I'm doing nothing of the sort regarding McCoist the player and McCoist the manager.

You are rewriting history to suit an agenda against him

I thought 8 years. I didn’t think we’d stumble on the way back up at all, I also didn’t reckon on them stealing a covid cup or did I think at 80mins HIvs were going to win a Scottish cup after we led the match.

McCoist the player certainly needs separated from McCoist the manager.

Heggarty played 29 games that season.

You are arguing over semantics... that list of players were all out our youth teams so your assertion that we did not use any young players is absolute bullshit.

I'm doing nothing of the sort regarding McCoist the player and McCoist the manager.

You are rewriting history to suit an agenda against him

What history am I rewriting, the facts are there in black and white.

In four seasons what youngster did McCoist develop ? What players did he leave to build on ?

You are missing the point completely. We had an opportunity to build something from scratch a squad from youth.

I was neighbours with St Mirren’s vice chairman at the time we were sent to the lowest tier of Scottish football, he was adamant our under 19 team would win the third and second division quite comfortably.

We will never know if Andy Robertson would have been a Neil McCann or Liam Burt but we never even tried.

He would rather sign a painter on £10k a week

Heggarty never came through out youth system either, so although we played the odd youngster we were picking up anything that was available there was no plan.

This is why we are where we are.

What history am I rewriting, the facts are there in black and white.

In four seasons what youngster did McCoist develop ? What players did he leave to build on ?

You are missing the point completely. We had an opportunity to build something from scratch a squad from youth.

I was neighbours with St Mirren’s vice chairman at the time we were sent to the lowest tier of Scottish football, he was adamant our under 19 team would win the third and second division quite comfortably.

We will never know if Andy Robertson would have been a Neil McCann or Liam Burt but we never even tried.

He would rather sign a painter on £10k a week

Heggarty never came through out youth system either, so although we played the odd youngster we were picking up anything that was available there was no plan.

This is why we are where we are.

No it's not. Get your heard out your arse.

We got robbed, raped and pillaged by a bunch of crooks which caused us to be where we are. Not because Ally McCoist signed ian black and Kevin Kyle

No it's not. Get your heard out your arse.

We got robbed, raped and pillaged by a bunch of crooks which caused us to be where we are. Not because Ally McCoist signed ian black and Kevin Kyle

McCoist took over a team that had just won a league and cup double, was in the group stages of Champions League the season before drawing with the runners up.

He took that group of players and got us pumped out of Europe twice in the one season not even winning a game. Incidentally both Malmo and Maribor ended up bottom of their Europa League groups with one point.

This was well before any of what you refer to.

As I said we were already on the slippery slope under McCoist.

Defend him all you like but I am out, the guy was out his depth

Back