How long did you think it would take us to fully recover from 2012?

McCoist took over a team that had just won a league and cup double, was in the group stages of Champions League the season before drawing with the runners up.

He took that group of players and got us pumped out of Europe twice in the one season not even winning a game. Incidentally both Malmo and Maribor ended up bottom of their Europa League groups with one point.

This was well before any of what you refer to.

As I said we were already on the slippery slope under McCoist.

Defend him all you like but I am out, the guy was out his depth

Your focus is in the wrong place. It's nothing to do with McCoist. It's not a defence of him.

Expected to have won a cup by now being honest. Hoped we would be taking the title race to the last month or so of the season, after a couple seasons being back in top league. To blow up at the same stage 2 seasons running is hard to accept, it really is. Cant stomach the thought of the scum getting the next title.....we must stop it.

To be honest I didn’t think much about it at the time i was much more worried if the club would even survive! Many have forgotten how close we came to oblivion. So many mistakes were made on the way back Whyte,Green and the spivs were the major reasons we have been trophy less so long. The choice of managers especially Pedro has been another major factor. Did I think it would take this long? On reflection probably not but the obstacles we have had to overcome on our journey have been massive. Mike Ashley springs to mind that fiasco has been hugely damaging.We were so unlucky not to win the League Cup so hopefully not much longer to wait we need more depth of quality in our pool of players. That is where the Tim’s have the big advantage.

I’m interested to know what the opinion of this board is on the timescales for recovery from 2012.

Back in 2012 it was clear to me things were bad and we were going to have a rough road ahead and I recall thinking that the three year European ban would be effectively a write-off in terms of any success (excluding lower leagues). I expected us to be back in the SPL for the 15/16 season and slowly challenging for the title over the next 2-3 seasons. Obviously I hoped for better, but was prepared for a scenario like this.

I’ll hold my hands up and admit I would never have thought we’d be staring at a full decade without a trophy if we do actually win something next season. In my opinion our recovery is slower than it should’ve been and we are still a few years away from taking our rightful place at the top of the game - and we should be there by now, IMO.

What were the expectations amongst the support?
In all honesty, the problem is ' Our rightful place at the top of the table' mentality.
It has to be earned, and as we have seen, earned against a backdrop of a multitude of obstacles being put in our way.
from the date we were back in the top league, if everything was even and we were not hamstrung by bad commercial contracts, 4 or 5 seasons would have been acceptable to me.

I knew we would be back and it would be during my lifetime. The early cup win over Motherwell gave me hope we could pick up a few trophies before we were number one again.

I don't underestimate the cup and leagues we did win because it's where we were at the time. We set some records, won all the leagues and the fans put on some great displays.
I'm disappointed at the last couple of years for the lack of silverware, but we are usually there or thereabouts and the team is in much better hands. Their run of titles is full of asterisks and I have got over that now.

I expect us to be back winning silver in the next couple of years and within 10 years is still a bit of an achievement. As long as once we are back at the summit we are there consistently again.

Short answer...never.
What Murray did has damaged this club irreparably.
This should never... ever be forgotten.
Yet there are some who still don’t fault him.He utterly fu*ked us.My dad said when he came in the door.Watch this cu*t why would Ayr United knock him back for funding?That was 30 odd year ago.He still reminds me to this day he never trusted him.:rolleyes:

I expected it would take us 5 years after being promoted back to the top flight to win the league.

We should have been back in the top flight for the start of the 2015/2016 season. Combination of Ally's managerial failings and the boardroom shit-show put paid to that.

The first season back was always going to be a struggle, but the board are to blame for wasting the 2nd season as well.

Its only been under Gerrard that we've started to progress the way we should've done after promotion.

So I think we're 2 years behind where we should have been. Pretty disastrous if stopping their "10" is the aim. But if we manage to stop them equalling our 54 I'll be happy.

I thought we would go down, build a strong youth team that would grow through the leagues, getting promotion each year and have a late 90s Fergie style team that could take the top league in our first season back. That the romance of it all would make an amazing book.

Instead we were treated to Ally doing lower league chequebook management for old players, not winning the Championship at first time of asking, and failing disgracefully in the 2016 SCF.

We should've won the 2019 LCF but we were robbed by officials and no mettle from certain players to convert chances.

I had no idea it would be this tough, had no idea how skewed it would be with them getting the Champions League money every year, unchallenged.

Crumbling after Christmas for 3 seasons which has nothing to do with the above has been pathetic.

The standard of journalism, decisions by officials and now governing bodies have also been absolutely reeking.

Hopefully we come out the traps next season and make it our year.

3 years to get back into the top league and then a further 2-3 years before we could launch a serious title challenge.

We’re probably 2 years behind where I thought we should be. The Mcdowall/McCall season and the Pedro/Murty season the two obvious reasons for that.

It’s a good question and puts things in perspective a bit

I suppose to me it depends at what point you ask me

summer 2012 I thought we could baked youngsters and build year after year and be ready for the premier League challenge in 2nd/3rd year in the SPL

if you asked me again anywhere between Christmas 2012 and gaining promotion I’d probably have said 10 years plus

During that championship disaster I would probably have told you never

I thought we would be further forward but they are definitely not a better team than us now. We could and probably should have been ahead of them even without the loss of form after January. Refs cost us as much as loss of form.

Mur
Yet there are some who still don’t fault him.He utterly fu*ked us.My dad said when he came in the door.Watch this cu*t why would Ayr United knock him back for funding?That was 30 odd year ago.He still reminds me to this day he never trusted him.:rolleyes:

Murray saw himself as someone who should be held in the highest esteem for being chairman of Rangers.Rubbing shoulders with the likes of Berlusconi, Tapie’s of this world...and look what happened to them!
So he in actuality he achieved it.All crooks!
He got the bug, and it became an egotistical dream for him, and in return a nightmare for us.He was willing to sell his soul not to make us look great, and powerful, but make himself look great in those circles!
Power mad!!

Back