How many Celtic managers did Walter see off?

napierblue

Now that Gerrard has notched 1 up (1 more then Lennon ever has) was just thinking back to Walter and he must have seen a fair few on their way.

Rodgers didn’t really get sacked though. He left Celtic in a good position with the league basically won (again another tainted title for lennon as he didn’t have much to do to win the league that season).
Rodgers was working his ticket the moment Gerrard beat him in the New Year game.

Rodgers' ego wouldn't allow Gerrard to even get close to catching him.

I was thinking about this. Since 2012 we had.

McCoist
McCall
Warburton
Pedro
Murty
Steven Gerrard

In the same time they have had
Lennon
Deila
Rodgers
Lennon
Kennedy

if you take out interim managers (McCall & Murty - Kennedy for them) then we’ve both had 4 full time managers during that period.

Considering that was easy as they will have it and as bad as we will ever have it, it shows how badly they have f**ked their ‘financial advantage’. which is nice.

I was thinking about this. Since 2012 we had.

McCoist
McCall
Warburton
Pedro
Murty
Steven Gerrard

In the same time they have had
Lennon
Deila
Rodgers
Lennon
Kennedy

if you take out interim managers (McCall & Murty - Kennedy for them) then we’ve both had 4 full time managers during that period.

Considering that was easy as they will have it and as bad as we will ever have it, it shows how badly they have f**ked their ‘financial advantage’. which is nice.
That’s actually madness that mate when you see it wrote down on paper

Now that Gerrard has notched 1 up (1 more then Lennon ever has) was just thinking back to Walter and he must have seen a fair few on their way.

I don't really think you can say he saw off many, if any at all considering Celtic only finished 2nd twice during his time in charge and beat us to the title in his last year.

Celtic were very poor and we spent millions so it was no contest in reality.

I think Smith was very limited as a manger and I certainly wasn't his greatest fan at the time.
I felt he played too many players out of position and struggled badly in Europe after a good start.
I think he seemed to struggle to get the best out of the players once he was able to buy almost anyone.
He did very well to reach the final in Europe in his second spell where it looked like he finally learned how to grind out results.

Now, saying all that I love Walter and he is a true Rangers Legend who pretty much all his ex players speak highly of him so this is nothing other than my own view at the time. I realise most think he is great.

I don't really think you can say he saw off many, if any at all considering Celtic only finished 2nd twice during his time in charge and beat us to the title in his last year.

I think Smith was very limited as a manger and I certainly wasn't his greatest fan at the time.
I felt he played too many players out of position and struggled badly in Europe after a good start.
I think he seemed to struggle to get the best out of the players once he was able to buy almost anyone.
He did very well to reach the final in Europe in his second spell where it looked like he finally learned how to grind out results.

Now, saying all that I love Walter and he is a true Rangers Legend who pretty much all his ex players speak highly of him so this is nothing other than my own view at the time. I realise most think he is great.

The magnanimity of that is almost overwhelming.

Rodgers didn’t really get sacked though. He left Celtic in a good position with the league basically won (again another tainted title for lennon as he didn’t have much to do to win the league that season).
I didn't say sacked and if you want to be picky lennon didn't get sacked either, he resigned

Brady
Macari
Burns
Strachan
Mowbray

Don't think we can include McNeill.

For the record as much as it would have been nice, we can't include Rodgers on Steven Gerrard's CV.

But history will show he did get rid of the most bigoted, repulsive character in Scottish football history.

I hope he sips a well desrved Britvic tonight.
Britvic 55 of course.

Are you serious Or just stupid ?

I was a bit shocked reading this opinion.

Then I saw you were a cycling enthusiast.

Of course I'm serious. I thought it back at the time and feel the same now.
Why would having a different opinion to you be classed as stupid?
Because I believe Walter was a fantastic manager in both reigns. He proved that he could do it on a tight budget second time around. You sound like a Tim trying to belittle the achievements of a wonderful manager Or you are indeed just stupid.

I was a bit shocked reading this opinion.

Then I saw you were a cycling enthusiast.
:)
Because I believe Walter was a fantastic manager in both reigns. He proved that he could do it on a tight budget second time around. You sound like a Tim trying to belittle the achievements of a wonderful manager Or you are indeed just stupid.
Don't be an arse. We can have different opinions and still love the Rangers.

I think Walter was pretty good when he had to get the best out of slightly lesser players mixed in with better ones, as he did in the European Cup run in the early 90's and again during his second stint where he beat a stronger Celtic side plus took us to the UEFA final.
I don't think he did as well when he could pretty much sign anyone he wanted. Sure, he won the league often but Celtic were not that great at the time and we should really judge him in Europe with the talent he had at the time.
We failed most years and we're hammered on occasion.
I feel he often played people out of position rather than play a less glamorous one in their natural position.

Aye, he struggled to get the best out of Laudrup, Gascoigne, Robertson, Goram, McCall, Amoruso among others. Fucking hell I've heard it all now

Gerrard has seen two of them off Rodgers and now the bigot
To be fair to Rodgers he got a huge promotion and decided to jump when his own personal stock was high. He saw how very limited things were in Scotland and rightly jumped the smelly ship.
Lennon on the other hand has left with his tail firmly between his legs.

Coz Amo never played in Europe under Walter.

Walter was two different managers with us. Walter the Second would have got us past the group stages of the CL if he managed the team from 91-98 in the manner he did 07-11
07-11 he really got the best out of the players and, as you said, if he could have managed the team we had in his first spell just as well we could have went quite far. The players we had were up with the best but he just couldn't get them to gel at the higher level.

I don’t think you can regard Gerrard as seeing Rodgers away, he chose to go to a higher job. That doesn’t really fit the bill.
Just realised that Warburton can actually chalk up Deila as a victim as well

07-11 he really got the best out of the players and, as you said, if he could have managed the team we had in his first spell just as well we could have went quite far. The players we had were up with the best but he just couldn't get them to gel at the higher level.
Part of the problem was that NIAR was a thing from 92-93, as was the 3 foreigner rule. There was never a game where we could coast Players were done, players had no time to get up to speed, there was constant pressure. I think his time away from Rangers was a learning experience and a break from the pressures of Ibrox. I wasn’t thrilled at Walter coming back, but he was a different animal second time around.

I think Walter was pretty good when he had to get the best out of slightly lesser players mixed in with better ones, as he did in the European Cup run in the early 90's and again during his second stint where he beat a stronger Celtic side plus took us to the UEFA final.
I don't think he did as well when he could pretty much sign anyone he wanted. Sure, he won the league often but Celtic were not that great at the time and we should really judge him in Europe with the talent he had at the time.
I feel he often played people out of position rather than play a less glamorous one in their natural position.

'Pretty good' steady on.

Part of the problem was that NIAR was a thing from 92-93, as was the 3 foreigner rule. There was never a game where we could coast Players were done, players had no time to get up to speed, there was constant pressure. I think his time away from Rangers was a learning experience and a break from the pressures of Ibrox. I wasn’t thrilled at Walter coming back, but he was a different animal second time around.
I was the same on learning he was coming back to manage us but he soon showed us he was a more complete manager compared to his first stint.
I remember Advocatt saying that in Scotland you are not allowed to have 2 good teams. No matter how strong a team you had, if you don't win the league it is seen as failure.
It must be so difficult to operate under that pressure year after year.

I was the same on learning he was coming back to manage us but he soon showed us he was a more complete manager compared to his first stint.
I remember Advocatt saying that in Scotland you are not allowed to have 2 good teams. No matter how strong a team you had, if you don't win the league it is seen as failure.
It must be so difficult to operate under that pressure year after year.
You really are a patronising arse. Your original opinion on Walter was stupid and now you’re trying to backtrack.
Terrible OP that deserves the reactions you’ve been getting

You really are a patronising arse. Your original opinion on Walter was stupid and now you’re trying to backtrack.
Terrible OP that deserves the reactions you’ve been getting
Did you even read my first reply?
Where am I backtracking?
I think he was lacking in Europe when we had an abundance of talent and wasn't up against a great Celtic team for most of his time in charge so didn't think he actually saw off many Celtic managers.

He did well in his second stint where, as discussed above, he looked like he came back a better and more rounded manager who got the best out of players.

This forum is great with some brilliant information but the abuse posters get if they don't follow the consensus and dare to have their own views is pathetic at times.

In this one thread I have been called both stupid and a Tim because I gave an honest opinion.

Did you even read my first reply?
Where am I backtracking?
I think he was lacking in Europe when we had an abundance of talent and wasn't up against a great Celtic team for most of his time in charge so didn't think he actually saw off many Celtic managers.

He did well in his second stint where, as discussed above, he looked like he came back a better and more rounded manager who got the best out of players.

This forum is great with some brilliant information but the abuse posters get if they don't follow the consensus and dare to have their own views is pathetic at times.

In this one thread I have been called both stupid and a Tim because I gave an honest opinion.
You were called stupid , you were told you sounded like a Tim because demeaning Walter's record “ because Celtic were poor” is exactly what Tims do.
They’re trying to do it to SG now!
I think your OP was terrible end of

You were called stupid , you were told you sounded like a Tim because demeaning Walter's record “ because Celtic were poor” is exactly what Tims do.
They’re trying to do it to SG now!
I think your OP was terrible end of
Celtic were poor for much of Smith's first spell, it is impossible to deny this and that was relevant to the OP's question for me.

I gave reasons as to why I wasn't a big fan of Walter as a manager through his first spell.

I've no problem if people disagree but to call someone either stupid or call them a Tim because they hold a different opinion is pretty pathetic don't you think ?

Last edited:

Worst thing is I feel you genuinely believe that, have you discussed this with friends and family or fellow fans in the pub and NOT been ridiculed?

Worst thing is I feel you genuinely believe that, have you discussed this with friends and family or fellow fans in the pub and NOT been ridiculed?
Of course I have :)
When I first questioned Smiths merits around the mid 90's my mate said that whilst he didn't see it that way his dad was of the same opinion as me.

Later on, during McLiesh's reign when Celtic had the upper hand, many were saying how it wasn't the same as Walter's teams and I was defending Alex and saying how I never held Smith in quite the same regard as them. Many disagreed as you would expect but I wasn't ridiculed.

We are always going to disagree or see strengths where others see the opposite.
I probably miss this most from the nights out in the pub.
Online discussion can get abusive far too quickly whereas it rarely gets that way with friends in the pub.

I've never met a Rangers fan in real life in over 30 years going home and away who doesn't see Smith as one of our greatest ever, if not the greatest, who's name is synonymous with success.

You only ever see those opinions on message boards, or from Celtic fans.

You are entitled to your opinion and you can legitimately argue we should have done better in Europe in his first spell. However, to suggest that in his second spell- a term of 4 and a half years in which he changed us from a struggling side to one that won 3 leagues in a row, 2 Scottish cups, 3 league cups and got to a European final - Walter Smith was just “pretty good” is honestly astounding.

Last edited:
You are entitled to your opinion and you can legitimately argue we should have done better in Europe in his first spell. However, to suggest that in his second spell; a term of 4 and a half years in which he changed us from being a poor side to one that won 3 leagues in a row, 2 Scottish cups, 3 league cups and got to a European final, he was just “pretty good” is honestly astounding.
I can't argue with that at all.
He was indeed brilliant second time around and certainly surprised me with how he had developed as a manager over time.
Celtic could have been well past 10 titles in a row if it hadn't been for Walter so he will always be highly regarded for what he won for us.

Maybe I was being greedy at the time of his first spell but I thought with the players he had we could have progressed much further than we did in Europe.

I know it isn't easy to progress because we still struggled under Advocatt in Europe as well and he was allowed to spend big during his time.

Last edited:
You are entitled to your opinion and you can legitimately argue we should have done better in Europe in his first spell. However, to suggest that in his second spell; a term of 4 and a half years in which he changed us from being a poor side to one that won 3 leagues in a row, 2 Scottish cups, 3 league cups and got to a European final, Walter Smith was just “pretty good” is honestly astounding.
Let him go to bed now , he’s way past his bedtime

I agree but he saw the writing on the wall and got out as a precaution. He would never want to be seen getting bested by Gerrard and losing that game against him will have got him thinking and planning the escape. It was never worth the risk for Rodgers to stay and risk not only being eclipsed by Gerrard (which in his view would be terrible in its own right), but to also risk losing the 10

IMO anyways. Could be wrong.

I can't argue with that at all.
He was indeed brilliant second time around and certainly surprised me with how he had developed as a manager over time.
Celtic could have been well past 10 titles in a row if it hadn't been for Walter so he will always be highly regarded for what he won for us.

Maybe I was being greedy at the time of his first spell but I thought with the players he had we could have progressed much further than we did in Europe.

I know it isn't easy to progress because we still struggled under Advocatt in Europe as well and he was allowed to spend big during his time.

It is often forgotten, if it wasn’t for Allan McGregor saving “that Penalty” that never was in April 2011 from Samaras, then the Tims would currently already have 10 Titles in a Row

Back