How many first 11 new signings do we require?

How many new first 11 starters do you think we need to win the league next season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WATP

Exactly as the poll says, interested to see the spread of thinking. Take into account those of our current first 11 who will likely be moved on. And replaced.
My gut feel is that we will need 4 or more new first picks with the outgoings we will have.

Taking into account the players we will move on and to improve the standard of the team I’d say 5 (cheating slightly as I’m meaning for a match day squad although I’d expect them all to play even as a sub). Probably 3 or 4 for the starting 11.

Clicked 3 by accident, meant 4 but I reckon we need need at least a well rounded midfielder, rw and hagi. But if we could afford it I would like another midfielder on top of that

Last edited:
Exactly as the poll says, interested to see the spread of thinking. Take into account those of our current first 11 who will likely be moved on. And replaced.
My gut feel is that we will need 4 or more new first picks with the outgoings we will have.
The first 11 new signings we make will be the first 11 signings we make?
So to make 11 new signings. There would probably need to be 11.

I don’t need to remind you what we need to do next season.
These bastards will break the bank to get the title.
So what do you think we need to do? At least half a new team of quality.

I hate to say it but Rodgers in his first season took a team that we had beaten in the semi final just months before, added genuine quality in sinclair and dembele and it seemed to lift a very average side. We need the equivalent. Not wholesale changes every single year

Last edited:
I don’t need to remind you what we need to do next season.
These bastards will break the bank to get the title.
So what do you think we need to do? At least half a new team of quality.
Honestly don’t think they have the money everyone says they have. Just a feeling. Or an educated guess. 60m wage bill is way over the top in Scottish league, add in the totally justified compensation claims it’s clear that they will not be spending big. Not a chance

I would say 5 but we might get away with adding 3 top quality starters. Midfield needs broken up and goals need added to the team.

Right sided midfielder/ winger
Hagi
Midfielder in the mould of Barry ferguson

Ive put 4 down , but with a new centre back, right winger and striker I don't think we'll be far off.

4 for me

Striker
2 aggressive leaders ,that have w first touch an like to play the ball forward
Also someone with genuine pace at the back

4 or 5. We only added one starter, Helander, last year to the previous year’s strongest team despite an influx. Three if you count Kent and Davis. That means the majority are here two or more years now. Not winning. We need to freshen it up & that will mean selling good players to do so. All depends on the market of course.

Put 5. Obviously with the circumstances being as they are just now this is dependent on getting foreign players but would like another couple of strikers, midfielder and a right back.

Minimum 4 and of quality no squad run of the mill, genuine quality, how we do it and how much i dont know.

4 including Hagi for me. Possibly more if we sell an unexpected/planned player (if a bid is too good)

At the very least:
A CH dominant in the air.
A new ball winning CM who can drive the team on.
An attacking CM who can create (say Hagi)
A quality RW, who can also shoot.

In honesty I’d also replace Tav and Morelos.

Went for two (not including Hagi). An attacking right mid and a centre mid.

If we get quality I don’t think we’d be far away.

Assuming Alfie stays.

McGregor

Tavernier
Edmundson (New Signing?)
Helander
Barišić

Jack
New signing

Kent (He’s much better off the right)
Hagi
New Signing

Morelos

We have 4 good central defenders, and 2 quality full backs. Our defence was not the problem last season, it was the lack of goals and the predictable tactics. We need a quality striker, 2 if Alfredo leaves. And we need to add goals from the wide & midfield areas. I would be happy with 3 quality additions, a back up goalkeeper and a player to add competition for the full back position.

Our defence is good enough to win the league. We need more threat going forward against the packed defenses. More options, more quality. Too many pints dropped against teams that never scored against us or got a single goal this term.

Our defence is good enough to win the league. We need more threat going forward against the packed defenses. More options, more quality. Too many points dropped against teams that never scored against us or got a single goal this term.

QUOTE="Jjbscotty, post: 6117588, member: 6508"]
New RW
New CM
New Striker
Possibly a new RB but can’t see us selling Tavernier although I would sell him.
[/QUOTE]
This 100%
If we managed to get the above positions with genuine quality then honestly think we would win the league.
We are 3/4 good players away from being a proper team.

New RW
New CM
New Striker
Possibly a new RB but can’t see us selling Tavernier although I would sell him.
This 100%
If we managed to get the above positions with genuine quality then honestly think we would win the league.
We are 3/4 good players away from being a proper team.

I went for 5+ as the players haven't been good enough and seem too chuck it after the Winter break the last 2 seasons for me. We need a Right back a commending centre half and Midfield we need a enforcer especially for away games another midfielder that can score goals for me and 2 new strikers to replace Morelos and a decent winger hopefully one of the signings will be a leader of men and captain material.

McGregor

Tavernier
Edmundson (New Signing?)
Helander
Barišić

Jack
New signing

Kent (He’s much better off the right)
Hagi
New Signing

Morelos
I was thinking this last night that Kent should be played off the right. He wouldn’t hug the touch line as much and looks more dangerous shooting with his left.

I went for three signings. I think we’ve got a decent core 15 players that can all start and then I would promote Kennedy and Patterson to the first team. It depends on who goes, we definitely need a striker to push Morelos and Defoe, a commanding midfielder and a creative/goals scoring midfielder (I’m thinking more of an Albertz than a Gazza). Tav and Barisic need competition.

I've went for 5+ as I think Alfie may depart and, with the current system, Defoe isn't compatible.

Need a backup LB, possibly a RB and a dominating CB.

If we keep Alfie and sign Hagi, 1-2 more for me. A dominant ball winning central midfielder, and a back up left back.

I really think we're close. The midfielder is the last piece of the jigsaw for me. I'd settle for that.

We need a replacement for Davis

We need a replacement for Jack (can’t seem to stay fit)

We need a right winger

Most likely need a replacement for Morelos

Will Defoe still be up to the task as back up striker? Might need a replacement

Honestly don’t think they have the money everyone says they have. Just a feeling. Or an educated guess. 60m wage bill is way over the top in Scottish league, add in the totally justified compensation claims it’s clear that they will not be spending big. Not a chance
Depressing as it is Desmond is a billionaire and with that backing it's easy to stretch the spending. Gerrard needs to be really clever with his signings. I think we need a further 3 starters beyond hagi. CM, RW, CF

RB, CB, LB, RW, CM, ST.

Get rid of Tav, Goldson, Polster, Kamara, Jones, Barker, Stewart.

Tavernier is comfortably the best right back in our league, so imo there are other areas of the team that are more of a priority.

Obviously how many players we need depends on how many leave.

Middle to front is where I'd like to see improvements.

A defence of Tav, Goldson, Helander and Barisic has already proved itself to be very solid, including in games against Celtic and top European sides.

Our inability to break down deep lying defensive teams in certain games, was a big issue for us.

A back up LB, a 3rd striker, Hagi, or some other creative spark behind the striker, are priority for me.

RB
CM X 2
Right sided attacker
ST

We will also require a keeper, left back and replacing anyone that leaves.

The midfield isn't good enough;

Davis is ageing and a replacement should be introduced into the side this season.

Kamara may be sold.

Arfield isn't consistent enough, he blows hot and cold.

Jack has had a number of injuries and carries a long standing knee problem.

We need two strikers of Morelos (one if he stays) ability fighting it out, some times partnering each other and Defoe.

Hagi.

Two seasons on the trot we haven't been close to offering a league challenge so we are further away than some think.

I agree.
Also it was always going to be more difficult to stop them getting 10 than them getting 9.
The financial difference of the clubs will be telling next term.They will spend bigger if they have to.

We need a replacement for Davis

We need a replacement for Jack (can’t seem to stay fit)

We need a right winger

Most likely need a replacement for Morelos

Will Defoe still be up to the task as back up striker? Might need a replacement

Defoe should be third choice. We should have two strikers of Morelos quality fighting it out eg; Morelos and Vydra and Defoe. Two we can also turn to to play together.

No chance you can turn to Defoe or a Kamberi/Dykes for any length of time.

Last edited:
i hope the loan system can help us this season try get us a decent couple of players. by that a mean experienced players who may have just lost there way at a club. a dont want young players who show uo for the first couple a games then dissappear. the defoe and davis was excellent use of it 2 more of that ilk if possible ad be delighted

I’d like to see someone come in and move Davis and kamara to the bench, a RW and better competition for the full backs.

I personally think kamberi or dykes would be good enough for what they’ll be, third choice striker (providing Alfie stays). I’d also like to see us using Kennedy Paterson and Mebude against the shite a bit more if we’re in a comfortable position.

Back