How many of current squad would honestly start for them going into next season?

Sir Walter’s Warriors

This season I was convinced that we had a stronger first XI, and it was just their depth of squad that made the difference, but after our dip following Christmas that does have to be reassessed. Honestly how many of our squad from this season do you think would start for them next season?

My thoughts:
GK: Honestly, given McGregor’s age...... nah screw it, still him (just though).
RB: Tavernier, best right back in Scotland, even after a slightly worse season than last.
CB: we have 4 good CBs but objectively given some of the mistakes from all, can we really argue any of our CBs would start for them?
LB: Borna, best left back in `Scotland, not even close

CM: Jack would get in for me, but after that...? Davis would have before Christmas but not after, Kamara full of mistakes, Aribo defitnitely has potential but not shown enough yet...
AM: Hagi, if he lives up to potential could be player of the year next year.
W: Kent for the big occasion. None of our others come close though.

ST- Alfredo obviously before Christmas, dont know what happened after though..., objectively Edouard was more consistent and doesn’t pick up red cards.

I think you could make an argument for 6 or 7 of our squad to start, the issue is in most areas where that is the case the player they have who would not be starting isn’t as significant a drop off in talent from our star players. Once you get past our first XI to 15 our squad was pretty average.

Celtics CB's are horrendous.... I'm not sure any of them would get in our team.

McGregor
Tav
Helander
Barasic
Jack
Aribo
Kent
Hagi
Alfie

That's 9/11 definite.

As has been proven, our first XI is far superior to theirs... the problem is we drop off in quality quite quickly outside our best XI.

Turn it around and from their point of view they’d have the same argument. From them you’d take Mcgregor, Christie and Eduoard as a minimum

He has to me, his name not being Katic was his biggest failing for a lot of our fans.

I expect Goldson and helander will be our first choice next season and I’ll judge him after an extended run. I think the whole katic thing is now over . I think he has potential but after his mistakes last season fans won’t want him starting on name alone. If he doesn’t step up he won’t be anywhere near first choice

Helander needs to have a good season next. I know he got injured and he was looking good at times, but now he’s settled I hope he’s a commanding CB that we need.

He scored 16 goals from midfield in 43 games. They are winning the league because they have guys like him and we don't.
That’s it exactly. Their midfielders and attacking mids are regular in scoring over 10 goals a season.

Our midfielders are miles off them

That’s it exactly. Their midfielders and attacking mids are regular in scoring over 10 goals a season.

Our midfielders are miles off them
Hagi, Aribo and Kent best have at least 50 goals between next season, that’s what’s missing, likes of Arfield 10 plus. Can’t rely solely on a single striker. We achieve that then we’re champions!

Forrest was utter shite last season, they were hounding him at times.
Some of their support have just never taken to him, one of there most ever decorated players with pretty decent stats in terms of goals and assists

Man for man we are better than them but they can turn it on against the dross consistently and we cant

Some of their support have just never taken to him, one of there most ever decorated players with pretty decent stats in terms of goals and assists
Forrest is their whipping boy when things aren’t going their way

Man for man they aren't a good side, we match or better them in almost every department.

Their urgency and hunger every game we don't match

This for me.

Individually bar a couple they just aren't that good.

They win the league with their desire & also the way they just consistently sweep aside the diddy teams when we struggle.

Some of their support have just never taken to him, one of there most ever decorated players with pretty decent stats in terms of goals and
Hagi, Aribo and Kent best have at least 50 goals between next season, that’s what’s missing, likes of Arfield 10 plus. Can’t rely solely on a single striker. We achieve that then we’re champions!
Spot on mate..we need a lot more goals from those players.

McGregor in goals , Borna would get in their team and so would Morelos. Jack , Kent and Tav are the other 3 for me who could if all playing at their best.

Impossible question to answer as the 2 teams have been build differently. Barasic is the one player I can see walking right into their team. There are others, but it would depend on how the chemistry worked. The thought of our players playing in that shitey jersey makes me want to throw up, I wish you’d phrased this different, like ‘how many of our players are better than theirs?’ If you had, my list would be a lot longer with Shagger, Goldson, Aribo, Kent, Morelos and potentially Hagi all better players that what they have in their positions imo. With Jack, Kamara compatible to what they have, maybe even Tav and Katic as well.

I think this season proved were as good if not slightly better than them, head to head. It’s the mentality when facing other Scottish sides they have the edge on us. A certain amount of that is other teams having a deep seated fear of them We saw this in the recent SPFL votes as well.

Defensively we are better. It's middle to front we need to improve on.

However when asking who would get in their team next season you have to take in to account that their first choice keeper has left, as it stands. Not sure what other loans/contracts they have that are up.

You think they have more better individuals than us?
I think you have to admit they probably do when you take performances over a season. Us at our very best I’d fancy our chances every time, but their consistency is far better. How many of our players were consistently good over the full ( or nearly full ) of last season? Jack and McGregor maybe ?

This for me.

Individually bar a couple they just aren't that good.

They win the league with their desire & also the way they just consistently sweep aside the diddy teams when we struggle.
Not to mention certain refs seem to give them all the decisions

Like it or not the other teams get a free kick at us and a yellow the instant they do it against them

I feel the sentiments of some of the posters but we were 13 points behind them when the season was cancelled.

They are a better side (at the moment) that's why they are champions and we arent.

We have some great individual players but the problem is the mentality. If we approached the second half of the season as we did in december we would be champions and they wouldnt.

The tell tail signs were there against Stranrear and we done nothing to motivate them on from Januray.

I suspect Aribo, Hagi, Kent and Hellander will have a good season now they are settled and stay injury free.

I think you have to admit they probably do when you take performances over a season. Us at our very best I’d fancy our chances every time, but their consistency is far better. How many of our players were consistently good over the full ( or nearly full ) of last season? Jack and McGregor maybe ?

I think it's closer that you think.

McGregor, Barisic, Hagi, Helander, Jack, Tav & Morelos on their day would all get ito their side & I think you could make a case for another 1 maybe 2.

To balance it off completely take on board that some of these have had more bad days than good, consistency is key which is why they are where they are & we are where we are.

Allan McGregor

James Tavernier
Christopher Jullien
Filip Helander
Borna Barišić

Ryan Jack
Callum McGregor

James Forrest
Ryan Christie
Ryan Kent

Odsonne Edouard

Not convinced Kent would. Not enough goals in him.

Who would get ahead of him at lw? They don’t tend to have one . Johnston or elynaoussi who’s prob away home by now . I can’t think of a LW that would get ahead of him in their squad. Don’t get me wrong if Kent has another season like this one it will be very disappointing

Impossible question to answer as the 2 teams have been build differently. Barasic is the one player I can see walking right into their team. There are others, but it would depend on how the chemistry worked. The thought of our players playing in that shitey jersey makes me want to throw up, I wish you’d phrased this different, like ‘how many of our players are better than theirs?’ If you had, my list would be a lot longer with Shagger, Goldson, Aribo, Kent, Morelos and potentially Hagi all better players that what they have in their positions imo. With Jack, Kamara compatible to what they have, maybe even Tav and Katic as well.

I think this season proved were as good if not slightly better than them, head to head. It’s the mentality when facing other Scottish sides they have the edge on us. A certain amount of that is other teams having a deep seated fear of them We saw this in the recent SPFL votes as well.
To be clear, it was certainly not my intent to picture any of our players actually appearing for them, I apologise profusely that my phrasing of the post meant you had to endure that! :)

Not convinced Kent would. Not enough goals in him.
Kent needs to add more goals to his game , that was part of our problem last season, Alfie dries up so did we.
They we’re getting goals from Christie , McGregor and Forrest for example.

Talent wise our first eleven is better. That's what makes the post winter-break collapse so mysterious.

Obviously you need more than talent to be awarded a league.

Back