How many of current squad would honestly start for them going into next season?

Talent wise our first eleven is better. That's what makes the post winter-break collapse so mysterious.

Obviously you need more than talent to be awarded a league.

It's not though.

From midfield to front they piss all over us in terms of goals and assists.. our midfielders offer nothing going forward.

Kent & Aribo dont contribute anywhere near enough.

Eduard is more consistent and reliable than Morelos.

We have a good team but we still need 3/4 starters to get to their level.

4-2-3-1
From last season’s squads:
Foster
Tav
Goldson
Jullien
Barisic
McGregor
Jack
RW: Forrest
AM: Hagi
LW: that danish boy they had on loan from Southampton
Edouard

I'd say Ajer is there most overrated player. Barely ever looks comfortable against us or in Europe. Even away games against Hibs or Livi, he looks like he wants to be anywhere else but there.
Absolutely overrated (which one of their players isn’t by them and the Scottish media?) and the Real Madrid rumours are ridiculous, however, objectively he is a good to very good defender for the Scottish league with a lot of experience in the league, a regular international and only 22...

Who would get ahead of him at lw? They don’t tend to have one . Johnston or elynaoussi who’s prob away home by now . I can’t think of a LW that would get ahead of him in their squad. Don’t get me wrong if Kent has another season like this one it will be very disappointing
There’s not an obvious candidate I suppose though I think Kent has to do more.

Kent needs to add more goals to his game , that was part of our problem last season, Alfie dries up so did we.
They we’re getting goals from Christie , McGregor and Forrest for example.
Exactly. That’s why we need better players in, and more striking options, as well as the ability to play more than the one, very predictable, formation.

I believe man for man we're better than them in terms if ability in most positions. It's mentality where we have the issue. The number of points we lost from winning positions and the number of points they won from losing / drawing positions, is why we were 13 points behind, rather than 13 points ahead.

Man for man they aren't a good side, we match or better them in almost every department.

Their urgency and hunger every game we don't match

That's the issue.

Man for man, we have the better players, as we proved in 3 out of the last 4 games against them.

Particularly in midfield and at full back.

Forgot about Tav tbh. Add him to the list I posted.

Our midfield have played them off the park in the recent games.

They couldn't get near Arfield, Kamara or Jack at Hampden, or Davis at the piggery.

Our midfielders are technically way superior.

I’d be more confident of going to Parkhead tomorrow than I would Tynecastle.

our problem is as much mentality as it is goals unfortunately - I don’t know how you fix that either.

We’ve already proved we can match and beat Celtic (last two games, cup final was a bogey due to an offside goal). I have zero confidence in us going somewhere like Tynecastle where it’s just a battle, our heads go down for 80+ mins. The mentally challengeds have patches of that in games, but they know they only need a chance or two.

It might have been a 13 point gap, but 6 of those were the direct result of ridiculous decisions against us, plus a game in hand.

I’m quite happy for them to think there is a gulf between us still.

I feel the sentiments of some of the posters but we were 13 points behind them when the season was cancelled.

They are a better side (at the moment) that's why they are champions and we arent.

We have some great individual players but the problem is the mentality. If we approached the second half of the season as we did in december we would be champions and they wouldnt.

The tell tail signs were there against Stranrear and we done nothing to motivate them on from Januray.

I suspect Aribo, Hagi, Kent and Hellander will have a good season now they are settled and stay injury free.
They arent champions they didn't win the league.

That’s it exactly. Their midfielders and attacking mids are regular in scoring over 10 goals a season.

Our midfielders are miles off them
That’s the big difference and we can all see it so the bloody management team better.

Based on what we saw post New Year we will certainly looking well off the mark but results change football and it wasn’t impossible.
I never said it was impossible.

Given how poorly we played post New Years, we shot ourselves in the foot.
We did the damage to ourselves, no one else.

We imploded.

I never said it was impossible.

Given how poorly we played post New Years, we shot ourselves in the foot.
We did the damage to ourselves, no one else.

We imploded.
No suggestion you did say it was impossible!
you asked my opinion and I gave it along with my reason they did not WIN it.
And yes we did implode.

Right.
I
And yes we did implode.
And yes we did implode.
Right.

I don't think you and I are too far away from agreeing.
They put themselves in a position to win the league.
We put ourselves in a position where winning it would prove extremely difficult.

They put themselves in that position by winning more games than us.
Our players do not perform as well as their players over the course of a season.
Not just this season but last season.

McGregor

Tav Goldson Julienne Barisic

Jack Davis McGregor

Forrest Edouard Kent

McGregor, Barisic, Kent. That’s it. Anyone thinking otherwise is deluded and hasn’t watched us over the last 2 seasons. Tavernier in particular wouldn’t have lasted 2 seasons with them with the number of horrendous mistakes he makes time after time after time in big matches. We are so far behind on and off the park it’s unbelievable. Just remember we were 13 points behind a Neil Lennon side with every chance the gap would have got wider by the end of the season. Our players have it in them to be close to them in one off matches but they have neither the desire or the ability to play to that level regularly. That’s what makes the difference.

Right.
I
Right.

I don't think you and I are too far away from agreeing.
They put themselves in a position to win the league.
We put ourselves in a position where winning it would prove extremely difficult.

They put themselves in that position by winning more games than us.
Our players do not perform as well as their players over the course of a season.
Not just this season but last season.
We pretty much agree , I just can’t say the WON it this year.
we were not looking likely based on form but the same would have applied leading up to Helicopter Sunday.

Jullien, Ajer, McGregor, Forrest and Edouard if im being honest would all walk onto our side at present

These are the areas we need to improve on

A top quality cb would have been top of my list with a quality striker with money we could have got for Morelos at one point but we've probably missed the boat

Most teams in our league have a fear of them,throw in teams are not allowed to get stuck into them the way they are us. They are not that good a team.

Our midfield have played them off the park in the recent games.

They couldn't get near Arfield, Kamara or Jack at Hampden, or Davis at the piggery.

Our midfielders are technically way superior.
There’s no way I’m picking a combined XI that is heavily weighted in our favour when there’s one team who’ve won everything in sight for years and another who’s continually failed to deliver when it really matters. Turning up for one off games against Celtic doesn’t mean anything when these guys careers end and they have no winners medals whilst their team need rooms specifically for theirs.

We pretty much agree , I just can’t say the WON it this year.
we were not looking likely based on form but the same would have applied leading up to Helicopter Sunday.
Semantics.

They put themselves in a position to win.

We put ourselves in a position to fail.

Look, I agree they didn't "win" the league but they sure as shit didn't loose it.
We did.

Semantics.

They put themselves in a position to win.

We put ourselves in a position to fail.

Look, I agree they didn't "win" the league but they sure as shit didn't loose it.
We did.
It was awarded to them prior to completion and that Is not debatable.

Jullien, Ajer, McGregor, Forrest and Edouard if im being honest would all walk onto our side at present

These are the areas we need to improve on

A top quality cb would have been top of my list with a quality striker with money we could have got for Morelos at one point but we've probably missed the boat

Watch yourself. I was called a Tim on here for saying ajer was decent at the start of the season.

McGregor Barasic and maybe Kent, that’s it

Tav would have been chased out of Parkhead years ago if we are being honest

I won't dispute that many of our 1st choice 11 would be displaced by a fair few of timmy's if we were picking from a 22 man squad-
Yet we still managed to convincingly beat them on more than one occasion & refs & a lack of VAR helped them steal a trophy from us

What caused our failures last season imo was our performances against teams who should really only be considered 'also rans' in the overall scheme of things

That tells me our squad- as it stands- although in need of improvements- didn't possess enough fighting qualities, enough belief, enough determination & motivation-
In other words- it lacked a winning mentality

Much as I'd love to see a big injection of top quality players in key positions (unlikely) - unless we get a drastic upsurge in fighting spirit- we could still struggle imo

Back