How many of the 32 CL Group Stage teams would we beat in a 2 legged tie?

ssblue

Had a look at the list and I reckon we would get the better of 14 of them.

The ones with an asterix.

ESP (4): Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atlético de Madrid, Sevilla
ENG (4): Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Chelsea
ITA (4): Juventus, Internazionale Milano, Atalanta, Lazio*
GER (4): Bayern, Dortmund, RB Leipzig, Borussia Mönchengladbach
FRA (3): Paris Saint-Germain, Marseille*, Rennes*
RUS (3): Zenit*, Lokomotiv Moskva*, Krasnodar*
UKR (2): Shakhtar Donetsk*, Dynamo Kyiv*
POR (1): Porto*
BEL (1): Club Brugge*
NED (1): Ajax
AUT (1): Salzburg
TUR (1): İstanbul Başakşehir*
DEN (1): Midtjylland*
GRE (1): Olympiacos*
HUN (1): Ferencváros*

I was thinking about this myself, there’s a few in there we’ve beaten or outplayed in the last couple of years.

It’s interesting mate, I’d pretty much agree with your assessment and it’s clear we’ve work to do to improve the squad ahead of CL qualification. Ross Wilson knows what he’s doing and I’m confident we can unearth the talent required whenever the time comes. It’s more realistic I think to gain qualification and the financial clout that gives you and then hopefully get to the EL and have a run there, the big boys are so far ahead in wealth that sustained competitiveness at that level is miles away unfortunately.

Would say those teams are about right. Maybe some others we could squeeze by (Leipzig, Mönchengladbach, Atalanta) but it would all have to go our way.

we could definitely compete at that level

Real are poor this season, we could get them in the Europa League.
Probably one of the few times we could draw them and not expect a bit of a chasing.

Depends what Atalanta turn up , on there day they will beat any team in the CL , they beat Liverpool with half a team at anfield
Good to see Atalanta get recognised by fans of so many teams as being a very, very good side on their day.

Reactions: VGM
I counted 21 I’d fancy us against from Marseille down plus Man Utd,Atalanta,lazio,RB Leipzig,Borussia Mönchengladbach.

I'd say possibly from Russia down I'd fancy our chances of knocking any of them out over two legs above that you just never know I'm just loving the confidence our European form has gave us

I think we are better then Salzburg, Ajax, and Atalanta.

The thing is the structure of the CL though. I agree that there’s a good few of those I’d fancy our chances against in a two legged tie. But sitting in a group with three of them and trying to get out of it after six games would be a harder proposition I think.

If we make next season's CL we'd be looking to not finish last in the group. Money means we can't compete there but we want it. Follow that with a run in the EL after Xmas.

I reckon the question could also be asked the other way around - how many of those clubs would view a 2-leg tie against us as a walk over, given the scalps we’ve taken in the last couple of years

It's really a hard one to judge. A lot of the top teams are more than capable of beating us but they could play into our hands and we keep it tight at the back and hit them on the break. We are more than capable of punishing any team if we can get the ball forward.

The only times we've really looked out of our depth in Europe under Gerrard has been against Leverkusen and the first half against Braga.

Hopefully we can get to the Champions League next season and test ourselves against some top top sides. I think we might surprise a few.

Shakhtar beat Real Madrid home and away. Wouldn’t be an easy tie. Of the others you’ve starred, I wouldn’t be confident against Lazio or Zenit. Two very good sides. But who knows it’s all guesswork.

I think we are better then Salzburg, Ajax, and Atalanta.
Absolute Nonsense I’m afraid. Atalanta beat Liverpool at Anfield last week , Ajax were finalists recently and Salzburg are a very good side. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

Imo, at our very best I'm confident we'd beat:
Ferencváros
Midtjylland
Başakşehir
Brugge
Porto
Kyiv
Krasnodar
Lokomotiv
Rennes
Marseille
Lazio

We could possibly beat:
Inter
Zenit
Ajax (record against Dutch teams is good)
Shakhtar
Man United
City (if in the ko stages thanks to another Guardiola choke ;))

Salzburg and Atalanta's potency in attack would see them beat us

The rest would curbstomp us

Right now I think we could give anybody a game. Nobody will be queueing up to draw us in their group.

Realistically we might struggle to get past the group stage without a fortunate draw but anyone we play will know they’ve been in a game.

I’d not want to play Ferencvaros tho’. They’ve beaten some strong sides.

Oh, wait a minute, they huvnae.

Back