How much does not being able to sell beer cost Rangers a year?

indianabluenose

I am a Yank and also a huge Columbus Crew fan. I know from being there that they have to make a bunch from selling beer at $11 a can. I think being dry really hurts Scottish Clubs.

The amount Rangers would make would end up offset by repair cost from drunk away fans damages and increased policing costs from dealing with the morons.

I love drinking at the rugby and ice hockey, and as much as I'd love a beer at Ibrox, I don't blame them for not serving beer at Scottish football games.

No long back from Blackpool and it was £3 for a pint of cider at the stadium which I thought was a good price, WE definitely need it at Ibrox, loads of money into the club

They should allow it in 5 star stadiums such as Ibrox and maby not sell beer on old firm days, thats it.

Only folk with a smart card can order and its 3 beers max per game.

The amount of folk late in or leave early for a beer is unreal and i include myself in that.

It can be done responsibly, scottish football is stuck in dark ages though.

The amount Rangers would make would end up offset by repair cost from drunk away fans damages and increased policing costs from dealing with the morons.

I love drinking at the rugby and ice hockey, and as much as I'd love a beer at Ibrox, I don't blame them for not serving beer at Scottish football games.

I don't think that's true in the slightest.

We would however need effective policing and stewards that actually do something useful.

It'll never happen, I can t see it in my lifetime

We might not like being treated like children but many Scottish football supporters aren't responsible enough to drink at games.

I don't like being told that I can't drink alcohol at a football game because the worst of society spoil it.

If we applied the same logic, we couldn't have night clubs, gigs and festivals.

I’d imagine there’s very little profit in it for Rangers.

Why do you think every other club that can sell it does it?

Honestly think it'd be a terrible decision to start selling booze in stadiums here. People can't behave themselves as it is.

Again, people drinking too much could literally ruin every gig, music festival or general night out if we let them.

We've managed to mitigate the worst kinds of people in every other setting.

Right now the people who want to watch the match tanked up are getting tanked up before the game kicks off and probably sneaking it in with them. Letting the vast majority of decent people buy an appropriate amount of beer isn't going to impact that in any meaningful way. They might get worse by consuming a bit more, however that's where policing and stewarding comes into it in every other situation.

Why do you think every other club that can sell it does it?

Again, people drinking too much could literally ruin every gig, music festival or general night out if we let them.

We've managed to mitigate the worst kinds of people in every other setting.

Right now the people who want to watch the match tanked up are getting tanked up before the game kicks off and probably sneaking it in with them. Letting the vast majority of decent people buy an appropriate amount of beer isn't going to impact that in any meaningful way. They might get worse by consuming a bit more, however that's where policing and stewarding comes into it in every other situation.

Exactly. I see people in the pub getting doubles in 15 minutes before kick off and tanning them to make sure they don't sober up before full time.

I also see at almost every match people with carry outs. These are the people most likely to cause the problems and they still have booze in just now anyway!

If Ibrox sold beer I would be in an hour before kick off. Just now I am in the Louden 2 hours before kick off right up until the last minute.

Another thing that pisses me off is the fact that if you are rich enough the law doesn't apply. Bar 72 and hospitality punters can buy booze so there is a license to sell allowed as long as you can afford to pay for the expensive seats.

If people want to get drunk they can do before games anyway.

Beer has been sold in English grounds for years where there was far more hooliganism than Scotland and in my view still is albeit not much in grounds.

Bars open for an hour before and after games and at half time makes sense.

I enjoy a beer at Stamford Bridge and you don’t see any more drunks than before. If anything reduces desire to get wasted pre game thinking it will be 2-3 hrs before next pint.

About time law was changed in Scotland, why should those in Bar 72 be able to have a drink while those one row behind can’t. It is ludicrous.

Last edited:
If people want to get drunk they can do before games anyway.

Beer has been sold in English grounds for years where there was far more hooliganism than Scotland and in my view still is albeit not much in grounds.

Bars open for an hour before and after games and at half time makes sense.

I enjoy a beer at Stamford Bridge and you don’t see any more drunks than before. If anything reduces desire to get wasted pre game thinking it will be 2-3 hrs before next pint.

About time law was changed in Scotland, why should those in Club 1972 be able to have a drink while those one row behind can’t. It is ludicrous.
Do you mean Bar 72?

While you’ve got arseholes running onto the park to attack players and launching glass bottles at players there is absolutely zero chance of this happening anytime soon sadly.
No one would be selling glass and as with in England the beer would probably have to get consumed in the concourse but it ain't happening

Honestly think it'd be a terrible decision to start selling booze in stadiums here. People can't behave themselves as it is.

Agree, Scots generally cant control themselves when it comes to booze, add free flow alcohol (not at 8 quid a beer mind, think yer man's been in the Bollinger tent too long) at football matches and you can crank bampotery up to 11 on the Spinal Tap scale.

Should it be introduced - yes let people have a choice

Will it happen- not anytime soon

There are idiots are every club but that shouldn't rule out the chance of it happening

Has anyone even answered the question in the OP?

Let me take a guess at it. Let's say 15,000 fans buying 2 pints each at £3 a pint. Maybe around £30k per game?

Theres already enough clowns at the football nvm throwing more booze into the mix.

There are probably dozens or at a push hundreds that'd over do it.

Stricter ticket checking and proper stewarding is all that's required.

If thousands of people can drink all day before a gig, they can watch a football game.

If you want booze before the game get a season ticket at bar 72. down a flight of stairs and you will find ur self in ur padded seat in the govan rear with the best seat in the house. also can get pre paid drinks at half time. and drinks after every game. all fixtures, league, cup, friendly, europe is all inclusive.

Let me take a guess at it. Let's say 15,000 fans buying 2 pints each at £3 a pint. Maybe around £30k per game?
If it happened it would be circa a fiver a pint. Some would batter in and others would skip it as it would possibly be rank, like many grounds in England

That is funny next week they are advertising a special for $5 a beer in Columbus. Booze cost and arm in a leg in American stadiums.

If you want booze before the game get a season ticket at bar 72. down a flight of stairs and you will find ur self in ur padded seat in the govan rear with the best seat in the house. also can get pre paid drinks at half time. and drinks after every game. all fixtures, league, cup, friendly, europe is all inclusive.

The answer to this isn't really have more money to spend on a season ticket is it? Plus there must be an element of supply and demand in Bar72. Opening up an equivalent in the Copland, Club Deck and Main Stand is a decent enough option though.

Clubs in Scotland need as many revenue streams as possible. Clubs and football in general is dying on its arse and clubs are restricted in what they can and can’t offer.

Scottish football is run by dinosaurs too afraid to make any changes.

In all honesty, most clubs were talking about getting the ban lifted a few years back with the hope that it would benefit all Scottish clubs with the increase in revenue but all the pundits etc. stopped discussing it after the Cup final in 2016. That is when the mentality of 'aye we can behave now, lets look to get it lifted' to 'nah no ready for it'.

Hibs genuinely fucked it for the rest of us, I think if they just came on the pitch it wouldn't have had an impact on repealing the booze ban but a large portion of their fan base came right to the away end to fight with Rangers fans, didn't help certain scumbags within the Hibs support were attacking our players as well. After that the idea of repealing the booze ban was a 'uncool' subject for pundits to discuss.

In all honesty, most clubs were talking about getting the ban lifted a few years back with the hope that it would benefit all Scottish clubs with the increase in revenue but all the pundits etc. stopped discussing it after the Cup final in 2016. That is when the mentality of 'aye we can behave now, lets look to get it lifted' to 'nah no ready for it'.

Hibs genuinely fucked it for the rest of us, I think if they just came on the pitch it wouldn't have had an impact on repealing the booze ban but a large portion of their fan base came right to the away end to fight with Rangers fans, didn't help certain scumbags within the Hibs support were attacking our players as well.

Again, nothing that effective policing and stewarding couldn't prevent.

And if they can't do it, then nets and cages for those that need it.

When we played man u in the CL (0-0) they didnt sell us drink in old trafford but i saw the adverts and you could buy a carona but only as part of a meal deal if i remember the advert correctly, good idea imo.

Back