How much does not being able to sell beer cost Rangers a year?

It sounds like it. It's ridiculous that people who pay for a more expensive season ticket can drink before the game and after it in the stadium.

The people on here that are saying we can't be trusted are a part of the problem.
I agree, also why dont they open Bar 72 after the game to everyone, the times I’ve been there over the years its empty after the game

When we played man u in the CL (0-0) they didnt sell us drink in old trafford but i saw the adverts and you could buy a carona but only as part of a meal deal if i remember the advert correctly, good idea imo.

Am sure you can't get beer on Champions League night, not sure if it's an English law or a UEFA rule to do with Sponsorship. I was at a Chelsea CL game a few years back and couldn't get it either.

Am sure they used to open the Ibrox Suite pre/post match sometimes for a cash bar but not heard it done in a while.

Am sure you can't get beer on Champions League night, not sure if it's an English law or a UEFA rule to do with Sponsorship. I was at a Chelsea CL game a few years back and couldn't get it either.

Am sure they used to open the Ibrox Suite pre/post match sometimes for a cash bar but not heard it done in a while.

I thought they just never served the e alcohol coz it was us, they bussed is to dw stadium to keep us out the city haha but if thats the rule fair enough, if they did it here they could limit the sale of alcohol to certain games ect

From this season can get beers at Chelsea at Euro games I think

I don't really see the problem with allowing alcohol to be sold at football stadiums.

At the moment a lot of people are binge drinking before a match, rushing to the game, up for a pish every 5 mins and then straight out before the end or at the end and back to the pub.

Having a place in or around the stadium concourse where fans can gather, meet friends and have a drink before and after the match shouldn't really change anything. If anything it will help with crowd control if there isn't a surge of people leaving pubs and going to the game just before kick off and the same at the end when there are loads of people heading to local pubs and transport.

That should be the starting point for this and if people can behave themselves then allow it at half time.

I don't really see the problem with allowing alcohol to be sold at football stadiums.

At the moment a lot of people are binge drinking before a match, rushing to the game, up for a pish every 5 mins and then straight out before the end or at the end and back to the pub.

Having a place in or around the stadium concourse where fans can gather, meet friends and have a drink before and after the match shouldn't really change anything. If anything it will help with crowd control if there isn't a surge of people leaving pubs and going to the game just before kick off and the same at the end when there are loads of people heading to local pubs and transport.

That should be the starting point for this and if people can behave themselves then allow it at half time.
The naysayers on this might have a point if there was no reference point of comparison, however there is. Its called England, and before someone says our relationship with alcohol is worse, I would suggest they've not spent many nights out in just about every major town/city there and that they sleep walked through the mayhem of 1970's/80's football hooliganism.

People buying beer before and during a game, I would have the strongest legs in the uk , up and down on my seat letting people by for the toilet.

The logistics of putting bars in the Stadium, as it is, would be a nightmare and the cost of staffing them would make it nonviable.
They would need a custom built premises or a space large enough for about 500 people.

The logistics of putting bars in the Stadium, as it is, would be a nightmare and the cost of staffing them would make it nonviable.
They would need a custom built premises or a space large enough for about 500 people.
Most English clubs don't have such facilities, as an example closer to home how it works, see Armadillo which isn't much more than an indoor stadium. Another example would be the seasons Glasgow Warriors played at Firhill using the same stalls Thistle used on match days.

It has probably already been said but.......

there are too many absolute nuggets in scotland to bring back drink at the football. Now this might be a very small minority but there is enough of them to spoil it for the rest of us.

Reactions: TN8
It would be absolutely the right thing to do rather than stand in cramped boozers around the ground.

I'd rather spend my money on the club than on those who only cash in on the Rangers brand

That's absolutely not true. You are aware that the clubs that serve them in the rest of the UK don't have a nightclub set up to serve a pint of lager, right?

That's absolutely not true. You are aware that the clubs that serve them in the rest of the UK don't have a nightclub set up to serve a pint of lager, right?
I sit in the Govan Rear and the problem I see with it is to put fonts in every kiosk means you would need separate cooling systems in place, I don't think that is a realistic option.
There are so many operational negatives, Proper Stewarding to stop people taking drinks to seats, Last drink 15 mins before game starts, too busy at half time to properly control, amount of trained bar staff required, drink needing to be decanted into plastic tumblers. Even at £5 a drink, I doubt it would make a profit. Then there is the washing up and collection of dirty tumblers, not as easy as people think
My opinion, for what it is worth, is they should have a custom built bar on the footprint of Ibrox.
That way there is a decent chance of success

There are so many operational negatives,
Proper Stewarding to stop people taking drinks to seats - Why can't people take their drinks to seats?
Last drink 15 mins before game starts - Pull the shutters down like they do in similar venues.
too busy at half time to properly control - What's the difference between queuing for a pie or queuing for a pint?
amount of trained bar staff required - Existing staff trained to pour a pint from a can.
drink needing to be decanted into plastic tumblers - Not exactly rocket science.

1 Because it would be a restriction on Licensing
2. Where do you put dirty glasses
3 takes a lot longer to pour a pint than hand over a pie
4 most of the existing staff are under 18 and would not be allowed to sell alchol
5 off course it is not rocket Science,but takes an awful lot of time

I sit in the Govan Rear and the problem I see with it is to put fonts in every kiosk means you would need separate cooling systems in place, I don't think that is a realistic option.
There are so many operational negatives, Proper Stewarding to stop people taking drinks to seats, Last drink 15 mins before game starts, too busy at half time to properly control, amount of trained bar staff required, drink needing to be decanted into plastic tumblers. Even at £5 a drink, I doubt it would make a profit. Then there is the washing up and collection of dirty tumblers, not as easy as people think
My opinion, for what it is worth, is they should have a custom built bar on the footprint of Ibrox.
That way there is a decent chance of success
Cool. I guess it only works in England by sheer accident.

This reminds me of taxi drivers telling us Uber would never, ever work in Glasgow. :D

4 most of the existing staff are under 18 and would not be allowed to sell alchol

surely anything installed would be like at tottenhams new ground where you just fill it up from the bottom into a special plastic tumbler? takes like 2 secs, and you can get systems that do whole trays at a time.

but this is all a pointless argument as it isnt going to happen anytime soon!

1. Fair enough but just make sure theres signage to tell people and the stewards at each entrance enforce it.
2. Plastic tumblers in the bin.
3. Probably less/same time than pouring a bovril though.
4. Not all of them are though, so just have the over 18s serving.
5. See point 3.

1. Fair enough but just make sure theres signage to tell people and the stewards at each entrance enforce it.
2. Plastic tumblers in the bin.
3. Probably less/same time than pouring a bovril though.
4. Not all of them are though, so just have the over 18s serving.
5. See point 3.
Believe it or not, I am a big supporter of Rangers opening a 'super ' pub. The Americans do it right, put all the pubs and restaurants in the same vicinity and the crowds will go there.

surely anything installed would be like at tottenhams new ground where you just fill it up from the bottom into a special plastic tumbler? takes like 2 secs, and you can get systems that do whole trays at a time.

Try and give a punter a pint you have waiting:))

I seen them years ago in America, foir big crowds thet are the business

This would only work if the beer sold was quality. To avoid the problem of warm, poor quality beer, the kegs should sit in a chilled cellar as close to the service point as possible. With pie ovens and soft drinks machines kicking out heat this would require an element of construction work in and around the kiosks. Not impossible, but may not be as simple or as cheap as it might appear initially. Bar72, like high street pubs and clubs, are designed with selling beer in mind. The current kiosks were not. I agree with Robert Marshall that an Ibrox super-pub would be the way to go. Standalone, potentially leased out to an operator who knows what they're doing providing a consistent income to the club and more likely to get the go ahead than a change to the laws regarding beer in football stadia.

Does it need to be about alcohol in terms of revenue generation?

The current catering facilities are brutal but must still be turning enough of a profit for it to be worthwhile.

In terms of a "cold" drink in the SJ Front you have three choice - Fanta, Coke or Diet Coke. God forbid if you wanted a bit of ice in it. That's your lot.

Will i pay over £4 for a cheeseburger in it's current guise? Will i feck but make the catering menu more wide and varied with decent quality ingredients and i will put my hand in my pocket at an even higher price.

I totally get that the US is a different animal but when i went to a NYCFC game last year (attendance around 20,000) the range of snacks and drinks on offer was incredible. The price was premium but the quality was good and there was barely anybody around me not chomping on something or other. There is absolutely no excuse for the crap on offer at Ibrox and it's a missed opportunity in terms of fans putting their hand in their pocket.

Just because the stuff on offer up and down the country is the same generic shit does not mean we need to fall into line. There's a great opportunity here.

Build a chargeable multi story car park on the site of the Albion, on the ground floor, you have multiple rangers themed bars (sometbing for every one), club museum, outdoor fan zone, activities for the kids.

Solve all the parking, fanzone and drinking issues in one fell swoop, and you don't need to sell any in the stadium at all.

The albion is crying out for a multi to be built there and that is before you even consider putting retail units underneath it for more income generation. A fantastic idea.

I get raising capital to fund the build would be an issue but at the current £8 a game to park (and it's consistently rammed) plus the new parking restrictions in and around the stadium it would surely pay for itself pretty quickly.

Robert, could the way its done at festivals not work with the pouring of pints etc? Pour plenty in Advance and have them poured continually throughout the day. It means the staff are just handing over the beer.

Robert, could the way its done at festivals not work with the pouring of pints etc? Pour plenty in Advance and have them poured continually throughout the day. It means the staff are just handing over the beer.

It's exactly the same as pouring a tea/coffee/bovril. There will be a tap, they will stick a cup under it, drink will pour. Or they will pour from a can/bottle. You don't see them pre-pouring in bulk in other entertainment venues.

I was talking to a mate how works for blackpool fc and he was telling me they ran out of beer at the legends game and made an absolute fortune if only we could do the same at lbrox it would be a great money stream
As much as this is true, one point worth making is that this won’t help close the financial gap with the scum as they’ll be able to do likewise and make similar.

Does it need to be about alcohol in terms of revenue generation?

The current catering facilities are brutal but must still be turning enough of a profit for it to be worthwhile.

In terms of a "cold" drink in the SJ Front you have three choice - Fanta, Coke or Diet Coke. God forbid if you wanted a bit of ice in it. That's your lot.

Will i pay over £4 for a cheeseburger in it's current guise? Will i feck but make the catering menu more wide and varied with decent quality ingredients and i will put my hand in my pocket at an even higher price.

I totally get that the US is a different animal but when i went to a NYCFC game last year (attendance around 20,000) the range of snacks and drinks on offer was incredible. The price was premium but the quality was good and there was barely anybody around me not chomping on something or other. There is absolutely no excuse for the crap on offer at Ibrox and it's a missed opportunity in terms of fans putting their hand in their pocket.

Just because the stuff on offer up and down the country is the same generic shit does not mean we need to fall into line. There's a great opportunity here.

the food on sale at glasgow warriors is far superior than at Ibrox plus you can drink beer.

When they done bevvy at the commonwealth games it was marvellous. Expected to spend 2/3 hours at the rugby but spent nearly all day there is was so good and Ibrox has rarely looked so good,

at glasgow warriors they have this device that pours 4 pints at the sametime and its a pretty damn well poured pint compared to what a human will give you. Takes seconds

WPEdLrp.gif

Honestly think it'd be a terrible decision to start selling booze in stadiums here. People can't behave themselves as it is.
There’s the problem, there’s enough clowns who go now totally out of their face and act like cu.nts.

People buying beer before and during a game, I would have the strongest legs in the uk , up and down on my seat letting people by for the toilet.

Was at the Hydro recently for the sixes tournament and between people coming in with drink and others going to the toilet that was the case .

The albion is crying out for a multi to be built there and that is before you even consider putting retail units underneath it for more income generation. A fantastic idea.

I get raising capital to fund the build would be an issue but at the current £8 a game to park (and it's consistently rammed) plus the new parking restrictions in and around the stadium it would surely pay for itself pretty quickly.

I've always thought it's a no brainer. Maybe I'll message the new commercial guy lol

Back