How much does the club make from programmes every season?

As a printer lets hope it never goes digital only

Hope so too mate.

I always buy a Programme for Luton games and when I watch Rangers.

After over 45 years I had to get out of the Print trade last September.

5 year apprenticeship time served as a Machine Minder from 1974 -1988 In Print Sales since then.

Last year my biggest client Vauxhall Motors, decided they would put 90% of all their Printed Literature (inc the Car/Van Brochures the company I worked with produced) - on line as from Jan 2019.

In one fell swoop I lost over 60% of my business - had been dealing with Vauxhall since 1988! Tried to continue with my other clients and attempt new business, but (no) thanks to modern technology) there simply isn't the trade anymore. :(

Aged 61 I was forced to look for another career. Joined a Car/Van Fleet Logistics/Bodyshop in Bedford Sept 30th delivering/collecting Cars/Vans nationwide. It's only Minimum wage and Zero Hours Contract, but a job's a job and it pays the Mortgage/Bills.

Been on 80% Furlough since April.

Being Old School - I still buy a newspaper daily - though would never purchase the Rhecord!

20 years ago , we were printing 18000 for home games, that’s technology for you.

In the 1970's Man Utd used to have 60,000 Programmes printed for every home match. No idea of how many now ? (pre Covid19)

We at Luton still (again pre Covid 19) have anywhere between 2-3,000 printed each game, depending on opponents. Not bad for 10,000 (sell out) gates.

Is it a requirement to have match programmes? I know it was in English league football until recently.

Must be honest, I don't know any English clubs in the top 4 leagues that have stopped Printing Programmes. Certainly not in the top three tiers.

I've been collecting for over 50 years , around 2,000 plus home and away.
Have every home European game back to 1962 , only missing 8 from the early years in Europe.
I wonder what happened to the programmes printed for our old firm game just before the lockdown.

don't think any programme s were printed for game before lockdown iv asked members in r

I've got 4 that I'd bought for us going out. Along with a leverkusen scarf and pin badge they sent me.

I sent for leverkusen away scarf from their shop 4 weeks ago with euros but heard nothing back
it was stadium shop at the stadium in Germany

The club have said they have no intention of stopping them, which suits me as I am a collector!

They print about 5,000 per game, sell them for £3.50 each, so they make about £1 per prog say, so approx £5k per game. Multiply by 25-30 a season (including Europe and friendlies) anything up to £150k. (all guess work by the way)

I would certainly buy them for any closed doors games, but not everyone will. By the way, there are rumours one was printed for the Celtic game in March, but no-one has one. If anyone has one, give me a shout.

P.S. heres my home collection!

Some collection there sir .

Bought my first one in years at the Leverkusen game, got one in the summer when I won hospitality tickets for the Marseille game though. Would love to collect them but a bit of pain to carry about pubs etc after games.

The club have said they have no intention of stopping them, which suits me as I am a collector!

They print about 5,000 per game, sell them for £3.50 each, so they make about £1 per prog say, so approx £5k per game. Multiply by 25-30 a season (including Europe and friendlies) anything up to £150k. (all guess work by the way)

I would certainly buy them for any closed doors games, but not everyone will. By the way, there are rumours one was printed for the Celtic game in March, but no-one has one. If anyone has one, give me a shout.

Absolutely fantastic collection! Wow, some memories there

I am surprised only 3000 printed genuinely thought there would still be a good uptake with them.
I think buying outside the ground if people could pay by card more would sell.

I am surprised only 3000 printed genuinely thought there would still be a good uptake with them.
I think buying outside the ground if people could pay by card more would sell.
Why is there an obsession that you need to buy with a card? I know the vast majority pay things by card but surely they have enough cash to buy a programme

I sit with my son my brother in law and 4 mates I buy a programme most if not all games. I like the interviews and q &a. We do the half time quiz its good to keep some of the bigger games but I usually hand it off to a kid on my way home.

Why is there an obsession that you need to buy with a card? I know the vast majority pay things by card but surely they have enough cash to buy a programme
Guys don’t carry change any more a tap of the card can get you everything quicker.
Have you seen the youth of today they can’t look a pile of coins as say I got £3 they are hopeless. Some avoid counting I am sure they panic start rushing. Older people will be happy to stand open wallet count coins and search for that 20p in back pocket you were sure you had.
If the option is there to then why not offer it if it has chance of increasing sales. Test pilot it see how it goes.

Guys don’t carry change any more a tap of the card can get you everything quicker.
Have you seen the youth of today they can’t look a pile of coins as say I got £3 they are hopeless. Some avoid counting I am sure they panic start rushing. Older people will be happy to stand open wallet count coins and search for that 20p in back pocket you were sure you had.
If the option is there to then why not offer it if it has chance of increasing sales. Test pilot it see how it goes.
That's fair enough

Digital card readers would cost a few quid, then there’s the transaction fee that goes to whoever provides the service. For the club to benefit, the cost of the programme would need to increase

Digital card readers would cost a few quid, then there’s the transaction fee that goes to whoever provides the service. For the club to benefit, the cost of the programme would need to increase

if there was an increase in sales would it be worth it. We need to move with the times Modern approach and prepare for change.

Be surprised if it’s a lot

I actually don’t know of anyone that still buys a programme.

Aren’t any player interviews etc posted on the website

Great collection mate

There will have as it was only late on the game was cancelled. It will be like hobby horse's dung to get hold of if it hasnt already been destroyed.
One was printed for the EL which was only days earlier so would assume your right and one will have been printed.

Back