How much has your life changed since the 2008 final?

Lost my mum in November and still coming to terms with it. Please Rangers do it for all of the people who witnessed Manchester and are no longer here for this one. Will watch this one with my old man who is 86 now and seen all our finals.

For Absent Friends

I was 6 so was not in Manchester but vaguely remember it being on the news with the aftermath...
So a lot has changed, moreso recently.
Finished primary and secondary school, currently doing degree apprenticeship so now earning good money.
Unfortunately lost my two grandparents end of last year/start of this year.
Missed Granda's funeral as he passed mid flight to New York, he took unwell suddenly that morning and passed. Was gutting.
Have had two women still with the good one currently for a year and half, she isn't keen on this Rangers hobby though...
Have been driving two years.
Unbelievably aged 20 still don't and have never drank and have never tried smoking or the sorts!
Could be tempted to try some Sevilla gin depending on how Wednesday goes though...

Really great thread.

2008 feels like a lifetime ago now. I was 29 years old, living in Manchester with my wife and 2 boys (6 & 4).
We moved up to Scotland shortly after and bought a house and it's been a rollercoaster since...

Went back to education and got a degree.

Fcuked up my marriage and now divorced. Rangers 2012.

Lost a good friend to cancer and my Gran passed away.

Serious benzo addiction that ended in the Royal Infirmary, and nearly my life.

Attempted suicide, was stopped by a beautiful stranger and then sectioned in hospital.

Met a girl, fell in love. Start my second degree. Steven Gerrard. Moved to Edinburgh.
Life was fcuking sweet!

Covid. Aw ffs!

Had to try a long distance relationship, but it was never going to work out. Car crash, but luckily no major injuries. Decided to move to be closer to work.

55 saves the day! Emotional.

Lost a good friend who took his own life during lockdown. Couldn't go to his funeral. Health scare and change of lifestyle. No more booze. Old man diagnosed with dementia.

2022: Generally happy and content and very proud of the two, handsome, young men that my kids are now. A bit older and wiser yet still feel like I did at 18, except I don't take my mental and physical health for granted.

Family, friends & Rangers have been the things that have kept me sane in this insane world and are all that really matters.

Play up the boys in blue, Rangers!

A few close family members have passed since our last final and the old man found out last week he is terminally ill with cancer yet all he has spoke about is the game.
He is flying high just now looking forward to it so just hope we get over the line and win the fecking thing as I know he will be ecstatic.
He was in tears of happiness after the semi final and that's not the type of person he is, so God knows what he would be like if/when we win it.

I was 6 years old and have practically no memory of it. Obviously been told stories by family members who were there, (Dad, older brother, Uncles and cousins all had tickets).

I had pretty much accepted when I was around 16 that I would never see Rangers in a European final, having seen us play and struggle against the likes of Stranraer, Stenhousemuir, East Stirlingshire and Berwick Rangers, and accepted that all I would ever have is stories of family members who were there in 2008.

Wednesday morning when I board that CTM plane, I’ll be in the process of ticking off the biggest item that exists on my bucket list, and being in that stadium with my Dad and older brother will possible be the greatest moment in my life, and I don’t know what will possibly surpass it.

Reading the various stories on this thread really is quite something, it’s amazing how Rangers can affect your whole life, all the family, friends and personal circumstance which occur, Rangers are always there as the one constant and the one love we all have in common.

I was 6 years old and have practically no memory of it. Obviously been told stories by family members who were there, (Dad, older brother, Uncles and cousins all had tickets).

I had pretty much accepted when I was around 16 that I would never see Rangers in a European final, having seen us play and struggle against the likes of Stranraer, Stenhousemuir, East Stirlingshire and Berwick Rangers, and accepted that all I would ever have is stories of family members who were there in 2008.

Wednesday morning when I board that CTM plane, I’ll be in the process of ticking off the biggest item that exists on my bucket list, and being in that stadium with my Dad and older brother will possible be the greatest moment in my life, and I don’t know what will possibly surpass it.
Drink it all in mate, walking to the stadium in Manchester to see Rangers in a European final was a feeling I’ll remember forever, there was nothing like it.

Had not long joined the military and had my season ticket took off me for singing a banned song at Easter road,

Now I’m 32 semi retired, married a good Ulster woman and have 3 kids

Lived abroad for almost six years, moved back, learned a new language, don’t work anymore,boys were children now they are men , one living in Sweden other Oxford.
Lost some friends, some deliberately , others have passed away.
Outlook has changed significantly, still have one cat which we had then so somethings are constant, love of Rangers, Wife and children:))

Then married with a child on the way. Now separated with 4 children... Still in the same job and living in the south of England

Nothing, not even this final, comes close to my kids. Hopefully that's one you still have to score off the list.

My daughter was born. I got divorced & then we got back together a few years later & remarried. My daughter comes with me to Ibrox as often as she can & absolutely loves us so life has been good in the end

Met the Mrs in Spain, moved to England, got married, bought a house, now (very small) part owner of a successful international business, became an uncle four times, a godfather one other. Now a silver fox.

Still half daft and not really matured any since 2008 though!

I was there aged 41 and apart from the result ,I had a tremendous time and didn't see any real trouble

Now grey haired as f@ck ,semi retired and can't wait for Wednesday:D

Was 19 doing a college course that I was half arsing, doing a low paying part time job which I stupidly turned into a low paying full time job. Was single and lived with my folks and could not afford driving lessons nevermind a car. Now I've got a decent job and me and the mrs live in my flat with our near 2 year old and I chauffeur them around everywhere. Massive changes all for the better... with the exception of my daughter being born a win on Wednesday would eclipse the lot.

younger sister passed away
Mother passed away
Dad passed away

5 new grandkids

Two new jobs

Life changes but one constant in our life’s

The Rangers

Bring it home bears WATP

14 years since our last European final. In that time I’ve married, had two kids, changed job twice, done a fair bit of travelling, moved house, and turned 40. Feel like a different person from the relative youngster who watched the Zenit game. Can’t wait to watch this one with my daughters - who were only a twinkle in my eye in 2008! How has your life changed since then?

Met my fiancé
Graduated uni
Got elected
Bought and renovated our first house
Pretty much lost two years of my life because someone in China ate a bat/ virus leaked from a lab
Soon to be wife became an msp
Lost my seat
Expecting my firstborn (July 12th btw)

Nothing much B-)

I was 20 in 2008.
Since then I graduated uni,
Worked a year in Brisbane,
Worked 2 years in Bournemouth,
Shifted jobs 4 times,
Got engaged and had a cancelled wedding mainly due to me being a deviant.
More recently engaged again due to be married next year and Graduated my masters through distance learning.

This will be the second European Cup final I’ll have been to with my dad,I probably didn’t savour the moment with him as much in 2008 as I will this time around now that I’m older and a little wiser.It will be something I cherish forever regardless of the result.

14 years since our last European final. In that time I’ve married, had two kids, changed job twice, done a fair bit of travelling, moved house, and turned 40. Feel like a different person from the relative youngster who watched the Zenit game. Can’t wait to watch this one with my daughters - who were only a twinkle in my eye in 2008! How has your life changed since then?
Had a season ticket for the first time in season 2008, having just returned to Scotland, but didn't make it to Manchester - watched the match in the house. Then got a job, moved into shared house, lost weight, met a girl, moved in, gave up my season ticket (related to last point!), had 2 kids, got married, gained weight back, bought a house, moved job. Will be watching it in the house again!

Some things change, some stay the same! :p

Last edited:
My love has changed so much from then. In 2008 I was happy, outgoing and healthy. I went to matches home, away and abroad and loved follow my team. I was a lie handicap golfer (0.6) and had my dream job.

Then my health changed, my spine weakened and causes my legs to weaken greatly. 14 hours of surgery in 2016 saw 2 rods and 9 screws put into my spine and it changed me life forever.

I had to change career, could not longer do the things I live like exercise to a great extent or play football at all. My walking is poor in terms of coordination and strength, I’m now very anxious and paranoid about how people see me.

Still have my season ticket and love that but I miss not being able to enjoy life like I used too. It’s why I couldn’t go to Seville, health wise I couldn’t cope.

If rangers win on Wednesday I can honestly say that I’d die a happy man. Life isn’t what I wanted it to be but knowing my team conquered Europe is something I never thought I’d see.

I hope they bring it home!

Went to Manchester but not at the game.
Was 53 now 61.
Was working now been retired for over 2 years.
Happily married with 4 kids (youngest 30)
Very lucky to have both parents
And can’t wait for Wednesday

I've gone from 15 to 29, and other than drinking responsibly occasionally - I've hardly grown up

Except at work, got a job that I love

Got divorced year later met my now wife got married again and now living outside Edinburgh started another job

One other major development. In the direct aftermath of the final I had seen so many people comment on a FF post that they were travelling to Manchester from Reading. Enough to explore whether there was demand for a RSC. There certainly was! The Berkshire RSC was born and has absolutely thrived since. Walkabout upstairs in Reading will be a huge slice of Seville Road West tomorrow! Anyone in the area most welcome.

Had 3 tickets for Manchester as my dad and brother couldnt go.
Same wife, one daughter moved out and has graduated , lost my mother last year, dad has survived cancer, moved jobs once and moved home once, im still a miserable so n so according to my wife though.
Dad and brother away to Seville and im at home this time.

One other major development. In the direct aftermath of the final I had seen so many people comment on a FF post that they were travelling to Manchester from Reading. Enough to explore whether there was demand for a RSC. There certainly was! The Berkshire RSC was born and has absolutely thrived since. Walkabout upstairs in Reading will be a huge slice of Seville Road West tomorrow! Anyone in the area most welcome.
I lived in Cambridgeshire then and made a detour through Reading to pick a pal up. Both he and I are back in Scotland now.

Married.. 2 kids also.. moved house.. work for the same boss now as i did 2 jobs ago as she was the one that okd my manchester hols lol.
In a diff flute band and holidays abroad have been lest frequent due to kids.
Also no longer have season ticket :(

Married.. 2 kids also.. moved house.. work for the same boss now as i did 2 jobs ago as she was the one that okd my manchester hols lol.
In a diff flute band and holidays abroad have been lest frequent due to kids.
Also no longer have season ticket :(
Went to Manchester with 12 others including Son. Great day, even with result. Was working then, now semi-retired.
Luckily still with same great wife all four kids left house, but live closeby and never far away.
Lost mum ( a blue nose) and great mate who use to go to games with me. Now go to games with 2 grandson and mates season ticket holder for 12 years.
Not going this time. Just hope so much we can win . Love Rangers more than ever.

Moved house
Changed job three times.
Son grown up and working
Mother and mother in law passed on
Paid mortgage
Moved to part time working

And for first time in my life I had both the time and money to become a rangers season ticket holder

Ill tell you mines is unreal. I was gripped by addiction. Didnt have 2 pennies to rub together. Literally got a lift to manchester just in time for ko. A mate bought me a few beers Hardly seen a minute of the game. Back up the road at the final whistle.

Today i have transformed my life i have mrs,weans,business and not placed a bet in 7 year. Today i travel with my 2 nephews and a mate and gonna saviour every minute of it. Just wish my 2 boys were old enough

Cmon the bears

Got a dog (Baxter), moved house a few times, married with 2 kids and as others have mentioned, a few extra stones!

Four of us.
My Dad. My best mate and another friend.

My Dad sadly passed away in 2010.
Not spoken to my "best" mate since 2015.
My other mate has health issues.
On my own in Cordoba.
Changed jobs numerous times (contract)
Only constants.
My wife, family and the Rangers.

Back