How Much Is Europa League Worth To Us Without Fans?

55 and counting

Just wondering this. If we get to group stages, I can't see us playing any games with fans or if there is it will be a fraction of 50k.
Can we sell VT on RTV because of TV rights? Would guess not. Then you've got the travel expense to games over Europe.
Not saying I don't want to reach the groups because I really do. But was just wondering realistically if the figures add up to it being a real finacial benefit to us in current world situation?

Just wondering this. If we get to group stages, I can't see us playing any games with fans or if there is it will be a fraction of 50k.
Can we sell VT on RTV because of TV rights? Would guess not. Then you've got the travel expense to games over Europe.
Not saying I don't want to reach the groups because I really do. But was just wondering realistically if the figures add up to it being a real finacial benefit to us in current world situation?
It’s a fair point, no doubt it will not be as financially beneficial as last season. Someone I’m sure will have the figures but at a guess I’d say the groups could still be worth £6M+. Having said that I’d prioritise the league games even if that meant weakened team, should we make the groups.

These are the figures from last season, and I’d expect prize money to be down a little this year.

Based on getting to the groups, three wins and two draws, you’re looking at around €6m.

• Preliminary round: €220,000
  • First qualifying round: €240,000
  • Second qualifying round: €260,000
  • Third qualifying round: €280,000
  • Play-off round elimination: €300,000
  • Base fee for group stage: €2,920,000
  • Group match victory: €570,000
  • Group match draw: €190,000
  • Group winners: €1,000,000
  • Group runners-up: €500,000
  • Round of 32: €500,000
  • Round of 16: €1,100,000
  • Quarter-finals: €1,500,000
  • Semi-finals: €2,400,000
  • Runner-ups: €4,500,000
  • Champions: €8,500,000

I hadn't thought about that and it's a very valid point , however every point and goal is money but I think it's very important to get our name back out there for positive reasons and to be a force again, also for our co-efficient to move us into the champions league and should we make another European final the fans reaction will show how important it is.

From a non-financial aspect, the prestige and coefficient points are the most important thing to us just now

Scotland’s not too far away from an automatic CL place for the champions, a good run in Europa helps to achieve that

Oh absolutely, probably still looking at £6-9m.

But do we put it at the behest of the league again this year? I personally feel given the unique circumstances in terms of the 20/21 domestic calendar and situation at home, this is the one season where I wouldn’t be heartbroken at goingout early.

This

No is saying play a reserve team and lose...

But if we do....

The other unknown factor on valuation is the impact on our players valuation.
Sad as we may find it our successful financial health is dependent on buying, developing and selling.
It’s not something we’ve really managed to achieve as yet but we have huge potential assets in
Alfie,
Borna
Aribo
Kamara,
hagi
Kent
Performing well in the group stages of a euro competition is what really boosts players profile. Let’s be honest, folk don’t care about doing it in Scotland

These are the figures from last season, and I’d expect prize money to be down a little this year.

Based on getting to the groups, three wins and two draws, you’re looking at around €6m.

Thought I’d through in the CL prize money for comparison, astronomical figures here.

Source
  • Reaching the group stages: £12.4m
  • Reaching the round of 16: £7.9m
  • Reaching the quarter-finals: £8.7m
  • Reaching the semi-finals: £10m
  • Reaching the final: £12.4m
  • Winning the final: £3.3m
  • Total for winning Champions League: £54.7
Plus:

• £2.2m per group stage win
  • £0.8m per group stage draw

If can reach the group stages and get a couple of wins there, will help somewhat to balance the books.

I wonder if Uefa are looking at relaxing tv rules for the clubs to broadcast on their own channels, as a way to make up for no tickets sales.

Probably not, the corrupt arseholes.

Gate receipts was a huge income for us, especially the group stage package.

IF we get to the groups, I'd hope we could distribute the TV rights to RTV and season ticket holders. Half price of what the 3 match package was but hopefully get double if not more than that on the uptake considering it won't be limited to ST holders (although could argue ST holders get a better price).

Did we not make £1m+ on the Leverkusen home game alone?

Oh absolutely, probably still looking at £6-9m.

But do we put it at the behest of the league again this year? I personally feel given the unique circumstances in terms of the 20/21 domestic calendar and situation at home, this is the one season where I wouldn’t be heartbroken at goingout early.

Our form dropped last year after the intensity of the Europa to league games went. Maybe that schedule helped stimulate / motivate the team?

A club of our stature should always want to compete at the highest level in Europe. Our fans deserve that and the players will want it. That’s even before we mention the finances. No Europa League groups last year = no Ryan Kent for example.

BT have the exclusive Europa league rights in the UK.

Not sure how that would work in terms of RTV having a PPV option?

Think of it this way, 4 home games with 50k in the qualifiers, normally average that out at £40 per ticket... that’s £8m just for the qualifiers, then we have 3 home games with 50k that’s another 2 million per game so all in all we’re looking at about 10 to 14 million less in revenue with no fans, plus all the match day sales with the catering.

a considerable amount

Think of it this way, 4 home games with 50k in the qualifiers, normally average that out at £40 per ticket... that’s £8m just for the qualifiers, then we have 3 home games with 50k that’s another 2 million per game so all in all we’re looking at about 10 to 14 million less in revenue with no fans, plus all the match day sales with the catering.

a considerable amount
When did you last pay £40 for a qualifier ticket?

Looks like anything between £5-6m fir reaching the group stages and have a couple of wins and draws

TV pool share to be added too

With no crowd it does hurt us but remember we have had £3m from castore we haven’t had in previous season and will make huge money with the shirts sakes etc as castore have exceeded their highest expectations already

I’m sure with fans the Europa group stages brings in between £15-£20 million,

£6 million for gate receipts
£6 million for participation
£2-3 million for sponsorship & commercial bonuses from sponsors
£3-4 million for TV share & end of season share split .

We are saving loads on stewarding, policing and catering costs.

No doubt it will yield us much less than last year. But in this back water, even a £1m is worthwile.

Gonna be really tough this year to get beyond the qualifiers given the format.

It'll still be worth more than winning a domestic treble in Scotland would be financially.

Putting success first i know what i would prefer but unfortunately money talks.

People saying we shouldn't concentrate on Europe are mental. They would be the first to be shouting for signings too.

What if we lose both? Then what.

No matter what we want, our club need to think of the financials

Then we have another go next season - and try and qualify for the Champions League.

Anyone thinking the league is not significantly more important than the Europa League this season is delusional.

Could be worth a sustained shot of getting in the CL each season.

helps us attract better players...

helps our players get improve against a better standard of opposition

It’s crucial to our recovery in almost every aspect.

We get put out of the qualifiers then there’s a very good chance we would need to sell one player to balance the books, no matter the League season we are in. That’s the downside to it. One of Morelos, Kamara or barisic probably with less money being made available to Gerrard than it would have been if we got through to the group stage.

Its also about the country’s coefficient for CL places as well as boosting the profile of the club and presumably making us an ever more attractive place to come for players. European football also improves players as well as increasing their potential value?

From a non-financial aspect, the prestige and coefficient points are the most important thing to us just now

Scotland’s not too far away from an automatic CL place for the champions, a good run in Europa helps to achieve that
Spot on.

Potential signing targets also would look at us the past couple of years and see how we have fared in Europe and what we have achieved

That's just the prize money. Pretty sure there's TV money paid on top of that

I think missing out on the group stages this season would be good for us.

I’ve been a massive proponent of getting to the group stages each season under Gerrard but with the lower revenue to be made from Europe this season, it might be more valuable for us to concentrate completely on the league and try to get the Champions League spot for next season.

Getting to the Champions League group stages next season would be worth more to us than qualifying for the Europa League group stages this season and next.

I appreciate we all want to be in Europe and it’s good for the prestige of the club but I think a season fully focussed on the league would be a good thing right now.

helps us attract better players...

helps our players get improve against a better standard of opposition
These 2 parts of this post are the significant aspects of European football to us, because playing in the SPFL alone is not going to attract the kind of player we want and should be trying to sign. That’s the other side, apart from the obvious financial boost.

With the current Covid mess I would imagine we need the European money now more than ever. Amazed people would be happy enough for us to go out.

Celtic should be chasing their manager(s) due to the absolute lack of progress in Europe. I think in the 90s we were guilty of the same. It's like watching two bald men fighting over a comb in Scottish football at times, and we should be concentrating on progress in Europe over perceived domestic failures under Gerrard.

Its more than that.

At least £2m for the qualifiers. Then selling the 3 match package at £135 a head (minus kids) potentially another £4m missed out on

Who's going to buy a three match package if they cannot attend? No one has a clue what the next six months will throw up.

Back