How Much Is Europa League Worth To Us Without Fans?

Celtic should be chasing their manager(s) due to the absolute lack of progress in Europe. I think in the 90s we were guilty of the same. It's like watching two bald men fighting over a comb in Scottish football at times, and we should be concentrating on progress in Europe over perceived domestic failures under Gerrard.

The fabled fake 10 is totally clouding their position, the opportunity they had when were demoted they have completely squandered. They may still win the league, but it shouldn’t be a debate.

we were supposed to be nailed to floor, they concentrated too much on our downfall to concentrate on their own success - long may it continue.

the way I look at it it's that ,it's mainy to get coefficient points to make it easier for ourselves for next season to get to the champions league, in saying that, even though we did well in the last 2 seasons, our paths to get to the group stages of a euro comp doesn't seem to be getting any easier, in fact this seaasons seems especially hard

Some people don’t realise that winning in Europe means better coefficient which also means less qualifiers for champions league and Europa league group stages.

Also I guarantee we wouldn’t be buying hagi roofe etc without the money from Europe being generated, we’d be losing too much money each year without it.

And the chance of getting to play European football is the reason quite a few players will join rangers.

Present the numbers then.

Demonstrate how losing last night would be a financisl win.

Tell me black is white.
What? Losing last night would probably dent our finances. I'm confused - what is your opinion on the matter?

It's a tough one, in ordinary circumstances qualification means more bonus money for wins draw etc, ticket money from fans which is the usual biggest contribution (making this year not as lucrative), then there will be money for Europa and tv money.

In the long run European qualification even to europa pushes up the coefficient and increases the chances of 2 UCL spots, increased chance of UCL (participation and ticket money increasing) or if we fail to qualify for UCL we have more of chance of Europa qualification.

Financially it's not as lucrative this season but we have 2 places in the CL qualifiers from 2021/22 so any coefficient points could be vital for those future qualifiers. It is more about the prestige of European competition for one year but I don't think we're in a strong enough position to not care about it

Nothing beats Ibrox on a european night imo, we really are the 12th man and i don't think any team in the Europa league would fancy their chances...playing bcd costs us on the field as well as off it.

Thought I’d through in the CL prize money for comparison, astronomical figures here.

Source
  • Reaching the group stages: £12.4m
  • Reaching the round of 16: £7.9m
  • Reaching the quarter-finals: £8.7m
  • Reaching the semi-finals: £10m
  • Reaching the final: £12.4m
  • Winning the final: £3.3m
  • Total for winning Champions League: £54.7
Plus:

• £2.2m per group stage win
  • £0.8m per group stage draw
And yet the bottom team in the epl gets 4 times that!

It’s not so much the money for me

it’a building our coefficient so over a rolling 5 year period we don’t need to go into draws where we need to play-teams like Spurs etc just to get in

More let's offset them.

There's going to have to come a point, and the point is this season, where domestic success takes precedent.

Ultimately we want to be getting back into the Champions league. Even with two spots, I don't know how realistic it is for the Scottish runners up to navigate all those rounds.

Conversely, I'd strongly have fancied our chances in the 'Champions route' against some of the teams the mentally challengeds have lost out to. The way we've performed in Europe, I think we'd have dispatched of your likes of Ferencvaros and Cluj comfortably. That's the tournament we need to be in.

These are the figures from last season, and I’d expect prize money to be down a little this year.

Based on getting to the groups, three wins and two draws, you’re looking at around €6m.

• Preliminary round: €220,000
  • First qualifying round: €240,000
  • Second qualifying round: €260,000
  • Third qualifying round: €280,000
  • Play-off round elimination: €300,000
  • Base fee for group stage: €2,920,000
  • Group match victory: €570,000
  • Group match draw: €190,000
  • Group winners: €1,000,000
  • Group runners-up: €500,000
  • Round of 32: €500,000
  • Round of 16: €1,100,000
  • Quarter-finals: €1,500,000
  • Semi-finals: €2,400,000
  • Runner-ups: €4,500,000
  • Champions: €8,500,000

So, qualifying for the group stages and then getting a couple of wins and a draw without fans is about £5m to £5.5m.

Lot of work for that.

I’ll settle for the League this year and nothing else. That’ll do me.

This is the thing for me. We hear about tv companies negotiating contracts downwards but ultimately the viewing figures will be higher, ergo advertising should cost more.

A sensible priced package, if allowed, will bring in additional funds. It would need to be priced below/similar to a BT Sports subscription which obviously won’t bring in as much money as fans in the stadium would but every bit helps.

Another important factor is the player sale value.

Nobody's paying big money for an spl winning left back, or an spl top scorer.

Add in assists and goals in Europe and those players values rocket.

Looking ahead to next season we'll be in the Champions League qualifiers and will need 4 or 5 wins this season to ensure we're seeded in the last qualifying play-off.

Just wondering this. If we get to group stages, I can't see us playing any games with fans or if there is it will be a fraction of 50k.
Can we sell VT on RTV because of TV rights? Would guess not. Then you've got the travel expense to games over Europe.
Not saying I don't want to reach the groups because I really do. But was just wondering realistically if the figures add up to it being a real finacial benefit to us in current world situation?

what that doesn’t factor in is the knock on effect of coefficient points gained that in future years might mean we’d be more likely to qualify and be better seeded so earn more then, so financially it’s still a big deal

It's important to do well. I'd still prioritise the league though (resting important players for example if they need one) if and when we get to the group stages.

No offence to the op, but this is everything that's wrong with the game these days. So many threads about finances.

All teams should be out to win every game possible, but it's not happening these days. So many teams will give up on winning domestic trophies or even a decent cup run through fear of relegation.

All i am saying is that we really want to win a league. The revenue pot is a lot smaller with no fans.

The lack of travel and Sunday games catching up on a game in hand isn't terrible.

We shouldn't try and lose but I wouldn't be devastated.

If I had to choose a game to lose in September....

After the last two seasons, I'd be totally gutted if we don't qualify for the group stages. It looks like a more difficult task to get there this season than previously though.

The fabled fake 10 is totally clouding their position, the opportunity they had when were demoted they have completely squandered. They may still win the league, but it shouldn’t be a debate.

we were supposed to be nailed to floor, they concentrated too much on our downfall to concentrate on their own success - long may it continue.
Tattie howling , sister pumpin scum xx just my opinion btw

If we get to the groups , I really couldn’t give a %^*& what we do in Europe after that we just set our sights on the league!

Maybe he a go on the home ties to get the win/draw bonus cash but that’s about it .

just more games for players to pick up knocks and miss important league games for me.

surely league must be head and shoulders above everything else this year?

We get put out of the qualifiers then there’s a very good chance we would need to sell one player to balance the books, no matter the League season we are in. That’s the downside to it. One of Morelos, Kamara or barisic probably with less money being made available to Gerrard than it would have been if we got through to the group stage.

It also effects budgets for the rest of this season and next in terms of transfers. Qualifying is crucial for the club to help to continue to grow we need the money as we are still relying on directors to cover the losses. The club is run on us making the europa at minimum so we can't afford not to qualify.

It doesn't really hinder us that much anyway in the group stage any league game after we have won 10 and drawn 2 in the last 2 years we won all 6 last season for example. Only time we dropped points after europe last season was after Braga at St Johnstone when Katic had a mare.

i'd say about a full house in the europa league brings us an average of £1.5 million per game so prize money becomes very important ........... not qualifying and concentrating on the league wont be in our financial planning

Back