How much would you sell Borna Barišić for?

We don’t sell anyone in this window.

We win 55, then we’ve got Champions League qualifiers......... we need to have our exceptionally good players to progress therefore, any of our top talent can only be sold for premium prices if at all.

Why? The other one (who I knew someone would have to mention on this thread) is about 6 or 7 years younger and had been very consistent when he was sold, albeit the buying club did get ripped off.
27 is not old
BB is very being very consistent at present
BB proving his worth on set pieces
BB crossing of a higher standard
BB doing it in Europa league
BB is a current 1st choice international

will I need any more evidence to persuade you?

27 is not old
BB is very being very consistent at present
BB proving his worth on set pieces
BB crossing of a higher standard
BB doing it in Europa league
BB is a current 1st choice international

will I need any more evidence to persuade you?

It’s going to get you 4 or 5 seasons less than if you sign a 22 year old. What is it about that, which you don’t understand? Do you go out and expect to pay the same price for a younger car as you would an older car?

Barisic is one of my favourite players right now, but he’s not even had one season of consistently high performances for us. “He’s consistent and present and good at set pieces” isn’t grounds for looking for an astronomical fee, though for mid season I’d like to think the club would reject anything like £10m.

It’s going to get you 4 or 5 seasons less than if you sign a 22 year old. What is it about that, which you don’t understand? Do you go out and expect to pay the same price for a younger car as you would an older car?

Barisic is one of my favourite players right now, but he’s not even had one season of consistently high performances for us. “He’s consistent and present and good at set pieces” isn’t grounds for looking for an astronomical fee, though for mid season I’d like to think the club would reject anything like £10m.
Why would they for a 27 year old?
That’s the basis of your argument is it not?
Steve Davis is 34 so on that basis I stick by my valuation of BB.

Get him to sign the new deal with us and then he’s worth £30m+
Look at what Arsenal paid for a crock
Tierney was younger though that's why I think we will have difficulty matching that price. Plus arsenal got ripped off and Celtic made out like bandits

We'll get £15-20m for him as a ceiling price but you just had to look at him in the old firm. He's going nowhere until we win the league.

Why would they for a 27 year old?
That’s the basis of your argument is it not?
Steve Davis is 34 so on that basis I stick by my valuation of BB.

I don’t know if you’re all there mate. What’s Davis’s valuation and when has there ever been talk of selling him? But for the record, at 34 we wouldn’t command much of a fee for him at all.

I don’t know if you’re all there mate. What’s Davis’s valuation and when has there ever been talk of selling him? But for the record, at 34 we wouldn’t command much of a fee for him at all.
Spot on

As good as Davis is for us we'd get %^*& all of we sold him.

Might get between 100-500k depending on who comes and if they're desperate to get an experienced person in for a season or 2 but even that's probably quite high, generally speaking his value is worth 0

He’s better than Tierney, plays for a much stronger national team and is in the transition of playing for a stronger club team too. He’s older and doesn’t have CL experience but has the same number of international appearances. He’ll soon likely have the edge on competitive international tournament appearances as well.

Who would you take if you were a club manager ? You could argue Tierney has more potential and more years ahead of him but most managers need instant gratification. They likely won’t be at the same club three years down the road.

It’s Borna for me. He’s worth every bit of what was paid for Tierney, in the summer.

You’re missing the point so not sure if you’re all there.
You are undervaluing BB as he is 27.
My point is that 27 for a top pro today isn’t that old.
BB could easily play to the same age as Davis so a good 6/7 years left in him.
So based on today’s market I stick by my valuation.
Do you get it now?

Spot on

As good as Davis is for us we'd get %^*& all of we sold him.

Might get between 100-500k depending on who comes and if they're desperate to get an experienced person in for a season or 2 but even that's probably quite high, generally speaking his value is worth 0

Age is a significant factor. Same idea as your car, you don’t pay high prices for one thats not going to last as long. Barisic is in sensational form, probably my personal favourite player along with Morelos at this time, but there’s nothing wrong with being realistic about it. The scum got the big bucks for KT because he’d performed to a high standard for a few seasons consistently and because of his age, though I get the impression Arsenal’s medical team didn’t quite do their due diligence on his fitness.

He’s better than Tierney, plays for a much stronger national team and is in the transition of playing for a stronger club team too. He’s older and doesn’t have CL experience but has the same number of international appearances. He’ll soon likely have the edge on competitive international tournament appearances as well.

Who would you take if you were a club manager ? You could argue Tierney has more potential and more years ahead of him but most managers need instant gratification. They likely won’t be at the same club three years down the road.

It’s Borna for me. He’s worth every bit of what was paid for Tierney.
The thing is, Tierney is younger so there's a resale value when he does meet the potential. That's easier to get the board to allow the sale to go through and they won't mind spending a bit extra because they know they'll make money back compares to paying for barisic where there's practically no real resale value.

It's like Kent with us - he's young and he will go for a lot of money in a few years, hence we can afford to splash out £7m for him. But if he was 27 or 28, and as good as he was last season, it's unlikely we spend anywhere near that amount on him.

You’re missing the point so not sure if you’re all there.
You are undervaluing BB as he is 27.
My point is that 27 for a top pro today isn’t that old.
BB could easily play to the same age as Davis so a good 6/7 years left in him.
So based on today’s market I stick by my valuation.
Do you get it now?

Christ give me a break, you have to be taking the piss mate!

The thing is, Tierney is younger so there's a resale value when he does meet the potential. That's easier to get the board to allow the sale to go through and they won't mind spending a bit extra because they know they'll make money back compares to paying for barisic where there's practically no real resale value.

It's like Kent with us - he's young and he will go for a lot of money in a few years, hence we can afford to splash out £7m for him. But if he was 27 or 28, and as good as he was last season, it's unlikely we spend anywhere near that amount on him.
Yip, it’s a big factor for sure.

Tell you what I’m fecking dreading next season. No Borna no Alfie no kamara god knows who else. Meant to be building a team although I also in fairness recognise our model

we need to keep him and then wait til after the euros when his price will only go up. Can’t possibly sell him for 10-15 million. I’d only accept that with a 30-40%sell on clause

I wouldn’t sell him for anything this window! Imagine Croatia do well in the summer and he makes the Euro’s best starting 11? He could go for double what we could get now.

Tell you what I’m fecking dreading next season. No Borna no Alfie no kamara god knows who else. Meant to be building a team although I also in fairness recognise our model
Hopefully by then we‘ll have folk like Aribo, Katic, Kent all worth silly money plus whoever we bring in in the meantime. The filth seem to always manage it by using that model!

It’s going to get you 4 or 5 seasons less than if you sign a 22 year old. What is it about that, which you don’t understand? Do you go out and expect to pay the same price for a younger car as you would an older car.

You’d pay more for a second hand Lambo than you would a brand new Skoda.

More relevantly you’d probably also pay more for a 32 year old Lionel Messi than you would a 22 year old Ousmane Dembele.

What I would say is that with each passing day, the interest from Roma seems increasingly genuine and not some made up media pish. They really want our Borna.

I think the "not for sale at any price" rhetoric is admirable but unrealistic. If Roma do slap a 20 mil + bid on the table (which I'd hope would be our very minimum asking price in this window) then our board would have a hell of a call to make. A bid which more than doubles our biggest ever outgoing transfer fee, represents ten times what we paid for him and single handedly secures the operating budget for the next year at least? It would be mighty tempting from a business perspective, no doubt about it. And as good as BB is, left back is not traditionally seen as a position which makes or breaks your title challenge (although I absolutely appreciate what he brings to the team overall).

Theres also a lot that can happen between now and the summer. He doesn't sign an extension; loss of form / poor Euros; a bad injury (god forbid). Any or all of them could mean that we won't see that level of bid come in again, all of which the board will likely need to take into consideration and weigh up against the value in retaining him for our big title push.

I love the guy and hope Borna goes nowhere. I'm sure both the gaffer and BB himself feel the same. But as it stands, there is still a possibility that he goes in the next few weeks imo, depending on how serious Roma are in their pursuit.
But we'll lose a song.
No ones for sale. We're on a mission and no ones gonna stop us.
Full steam ahead!

This nonsense about saying we can’t turn down profits on certain players exasperates me. As if the fact we paid relatively little for Kamara , Morelos or Barisic means we should accept less because the price (almost irrespective of what that price is ) represents almost pure profit. Surely it’s clear the price we paid matters not a jot when it comes to a player’s price and really it’s all about how much he is worth NOW. That price should take into account how much it would cost to replace him (with all the uncertainty that entails ) plus the level he is presently performing at now and of course how important he his to the team and what his loss would mean. Also extra profit should be built in for the risk we take in letting the player go.His previous price paid by us is irrelevant.

I'd let our euro bound players attend the euros before even contemplating their departure. A good euros will significantly increase their value.

Tierney has set a bench mark at 25 million and Borna is a better player. Doing it for us in Europe and Croatia consistently. You've got to push for that sort of figure if we were to sell. Thankfully we have a gaffer with major influence on the guys in the boardroom and he won't accept selling our prizes assets for a pittance.

The really funny thing is that about 4 months ago probably 90% of these glowing posts were being made by the same people who’d have supported a fund me page to fly him home.

Wouldn’t be surprised if the agent is stirring it a bit to get him a pay rise
I think this is highly likely. So far there’s been nothing official at all, no quotes, nothing. Which makes me think the agent puts in a call to a few journalists who run the story. Then the same agent sits down with Stewart Robertson, Ross Wilson etc to discuss Borna’s new deal on a significantly higher salary.

Tierney was a massive error by Arsenal, I can’t see a mistake like that happening again any time soon, we need to keep Borna at least until the end of the season, then see what offers we get.

Tierney was a massive error by Arsenal, I can’t see a mistake like that happening again any time soon, we need to keep Borna at least until the end of the season, then see what offers we get.
Agreed. Just because Arsenal took leave of their senses and paid £25million for an injured full back doesn’t mean anyone else will be so stupid.

That being said I’m sure we will refuse to sell any of our key players until the summer unless there’s a really outrageous offer.

Not going to put a value on him, let’s see how the season pans out and see how he gets on at the euros cause let’s face it he won’t be going now anyway.
If he goes to the euros and has a good tournament then what ever you think his value is now could easily double.
Biscuit hips is the bench mark had he played in euros when he went for £25m.

In January I wouldn’t sell him at all. He’s one of our players of the year and is key going forward and solid defensively. His value will continue to rise if he sustains this form over a longer period, wins trophies and especially if he shows up well at the Euros.

Looking at other left backs who transferred in the summer, would you choose any of those over Barasic? I wouldn’t so we should be using these values as a benchmark of what to expect.

Lloyd Kelly to Bournemouth £13m
Matt Targett to Aston Villa £15m
Kieran Tierney to Arsenal up to £25m

This nonsense about saying we can’t turn down profits on certain players exasperates me. As if the fact we paid relatively little for Kamara , Morelos or Barisic means we should accept less because the price (almost irrespective of what that price is ) represents almost pure profit. Surely it’s clear the price we paid matters not a jot when it comes to a player’s price and really it’s all about how much he is worth NOW. That price should take into account how much it would cost to replace him (with all the uncertainty that entails ) plus the level he is presently performing at now and of course how important he his to the team and what his loss would mean. Also extra profit should be built in for the risk we take in letting the player go.His previous price paid by us is irrelevant.

In the case of Barisic we look firstly at his performances this season, especially in Europe against a higher standard of opponent, and the number of assists he’s provided and the quality of those assists.

We then look at his performances for the 6th ranked nation in world football and how he performed in the Euros qualifiers.

Putting both of these factors together we have a guy who’s entering his prime and playing the best football of his career.

Against that some may point to how ineffectual he was last season and the fact that at 27 any deal is unlikely to turn a profit at the end of it.

We then need to look at the cost similar SPFL based players have gone for recently.

Assuming he maintains his form until the end of the season and performs well for Croatia at the Euros, we should be looking in the region of £20m for him.

Have skimmed the thread and agree with the broad theme - not for sale just now but after the summer and hopefully a good showing at the Euros then we should be comfortably asking for north of £20M if clubs are interested and Borna wants to go.

If someone came in with something around that *now* I do feel that the board would accept it though. An injury or dip in form later in the season or in the summer might mean we don't get such an offer again. I guess this is what the board and executive team are there for, to make the tough calls... wouldn't want to be in their shoes at times.

HE IS NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!!

But if Weetabix hips can go for 25 million and Barisic is fitter and better......

Is it me or can the rest of us not see the OP has one post, and raises this subject, personally myself I laugh of the post as someone who fears what could happen at the end of a glorious Season for us.

Everyone has a price, and Borns will eventually move on at a time of our choosing and for a price of our choosing, it really is amazing how these story's pop up now that there is a genuine title challenge,

Back