How Premier League clubs split £2.5billon cash while the EFL want just £250m to cover potential losses caused by the coronavirus crisis

rangeral

Premier League clubs shared £2.55BILLION in prize money and payments
Liverpool took home just over £158m, while Manchester City got £157m
Manchester United, meanwhile, received £154m with Chelsea getting £153m
The EFL is desperate for funding of £200m to £250m to cover potential losses

The Premier League's 20 clubs shared £2.55BILLION in prize money and 'central funds' payments last season, with champions Liverpool taking home just over £158m, the Mail on Sunday can reveal.

Runners-up Manchester City (£157m), third-placed Manchester United (£154m) and fourth placed Chelsea (£153m) were the other clubs topping £150m each - despite the COVID-19 pandemic that continues to wreak havoc across British sport. These numbers are sure to inflame the debate about how cash-rich top-flight clubs should be dipping into their pockets to assist struggling clubs lower down the pyramid.

But while the Premier League clubs have banked last season's money already, all of them will need to pay back part of that cash at some point in in rebates to broadcasters this season for last season's disrupted schedule. Those sums are still being calculated but will range from around £17m to £7m, depending on the size of each club's original payout. If no fans are allowed back into stadiums in the 2020-21 season, then the current 20 Premier League clubs will lose around £800m in match-day income, collectively, plus tens of millions more from kits and other merchandise no longer being sold on match days, and more still from non-footballing events (concerts, conferences and so on) now cancelled due to coronavirus.

Against this backdrop, the EFL is desperately seeking funding of between £200m and £250m to cover potential losses of that size from the absence of fans at the 72 Football League clubs below the Premier League. Some of the 72 EFL clubs face going out of business without fans or some kind of support.

The government would be one obvious source of funding, given that football is an industry supporting tens of thousands of jobs. But they want the Premier League clubs to step in and help, and the PL clubs in turn are not averse to that - but want to have fans back in their own grounds first. There are no simple solutions apparent. The £2.55bn of PL cash for 2019-20 was split in a number of ways, detailed in our accompanying table. Each club received an 'equal share' of £76m, some of that from domestic TV deals, some from foreign rights.

Each club received merit money of around £2.6m per place in the table, from that sum for bottom- placed Norwich to 20 times as much for champions Liverpool. About £1.74m of each £2.6min merit money comes from the domestic 'pot' and the balance - in a method being used for the first time last season - from the overseas 'pot'. Starting in 2019-20, part of the foreign TV cash was split according to finishing position rather than equally.

Each club also received a 'facility' payment which varied in size depending on how many of their games were shown live on TV in the UK in 2019-20. But the Covid crisis made this more complicated because every game from the restart onwards was shown live, but not all of those counted as 'paid for' games.

The Mail on Sunday has analysed the breakdown of live TV games per club, and the amount of paid-for games per club. All the details are in the accompanying table. Liverpool had 30 games live on TV for example, but only 27 counted as 'paid for'. Chelsea had 30 too, but all counted as paid for. Manchester City and Manchester United had 32 and 31 but both were paid for 28. Southampton had to fewest paid-for games (11) but were actually shown live 19 times.

The 'paid for' games were determined by which matches SKY and BT would have shown if they screened only the games originally contracted. The final payment to each club was a sum of around £6m each, comprising 'central commercial income' (from sponsors and suppliers of the league as a whole) and income from live radio contracts.

33665778-8776441-image-a-95_1601163323706.jpg

It's disgusting.

You'll find some lower league clubs go to the wall, left to rot while bang average EPL players or inexperienced wonder kids pick up annual salaries of £5m+.

To put £5m into context - its equivalent to 10k season tickets at £500 each. And remember this is not even the biggest stars.

I remember reading a few years ago that Portsmouth or Wolves or someone similar had been relegated twice in the space of a few seasons and were in league 1. They were still raking in 10m a season in parachute payments 5 years later which was about 10 times more than the winners of the Scottish league got as prize money

I remember reading a few years ago that Portsmouth or Wolves or someone similar had been relegated twice in the space of a few seasons and were in league 1. They were still raking in 10m a season in parachute payments 5 years later which was about 10 times more than the winners of the Scottish league got as prize money
Sunderland probably

The smaller clubs in the epl like Burnley must be absolutely minted. Crappy wee stadiums and relatively low wage bills compared to money coming in.

I fu*king hate the English premiership.It is the main culprit for this.Money is more important than the prestige of winning a league title.I hardly watch it now.Annoys the fu*k out me.
My business partner is a Newcastle fan. Goes home and away regularly. He very openly admits that staying in the league is preferable to winning a cup and that fans of at least 10 clubs feel that way. He doesn't even mind fielding weakened sides in cup matches. I just think that's a sad way to be be a football fan.

How much money do the tv companies make out of broadcasting these matches? Surely they must be close to a point where the cost of buying the rights is more than it's worth?

The money spent ridiculous for a league that has predominantly been a 2 or 3 horse race most seasons.

The lower league clubs suffering will continue

Sunderland probably

Parachute payments are paid over 3 seasons now was 4

Sunderland received theirs in 2017/18 (Championship), 2018/19 & 2019/20 (League 1)

How much money do the tv companies make out of broadcasting these matches? Surely they must be close to a point where the cost of buying the rights is more than it's worth?

probably they will still make some losses, money comes from subscriptions & advertising

I fu*king hate the English premiership.It is the main culprit for this.Money is more important than the prestige of winning a league title.I hardly watch it now.Annoys the fu*k out me.

I'm slowly turning off the Premier league. Combination of watching self obsessed players and their fascination for selfies, and no crowds. There are some very average players earning fortunes, and while it's not their fault, greed is consuming the game due to the money thrown about.

I'm slowly turning off the Premier league. Combination of watching self obsessed players and their fascination for selfies, and no crowds. There are some very average players earning fortunes, and while it's not their fault, greed is consuming the game due to the money thrown about.
This mate is exactly why I don’t watch that much of it.Sky sports news builds it up into a super league.Very rarely do I watch a game and come away thinking I’ve been thoroughly entertained there.Granted there are some great teams but if I never watch another second of it I wouldn’t be fussed.Greed has ruined the game.

The first question we ask our potential signings should be
Do you want to
A: Make a lot of money playing for an average side and never win anything?
B: Make not quite as much but still a decent amount of money and win trophies?

If the answer is A, then cheerio.

The first question we ask our potential signings should be
Do you want to
A: Make a lot of money playing for an average side and never win anything?
B: Make not quite as much but still a decent amount of money and win trophies?

If the answer is A, then cheerio.

You and I would always sign for Rangers because we're Rangers supporters.

But look at it from a neutral's point of view.

Imagine you have an EPL side like Burnley in for you, and a non-EPL side like PSV for example. Let's imagine you're neither English nor Dutch either, so you don't have any feelings for or against these sides.

PSV are a club with a much richer history and bigger fanbase. They're offering £30k a week.

Burnley are offering you £70k a week.

It's a no brainer.

Government can’t support football. With the numbers of people losing jobs in industries that aren’t awash with money.

I find it disgusting that an industry that pays more than the lower league clubs need to survive to individual players is asking the government for help.

In England they have the money within the game to sort this a simple question of priorities.

In Scotland might not be so simple. However Rangers and Hearts fans have shown fans can and do support their club through hard times.

No need for government subsidies.

Government can’t support football. With the numbers of people losing jobs in industries that aren’t awash with money.

I find it disgusting that an industry that pays more than the lower league clubs need to survive to individual players is asking the government for help.

In England they have the money within the game to sort this a simple question of priorities.

In Scotland might not be so simple. However Rangers and Hearts fans have shown fans can and do support their club through hard times.

No need for government subsidies.
Agree 100% with this
If fans and / or the football authorities can't save the club's between them then they have to be allowed to fail
There are much higher priorities for government cash

£250b so they can keep paying their footballers obscene amounts of cash,Not a penny of tax payers money should be spent on the EPL.
It's not the EPL that are asking for it it's the Efl. Most EFL clubs don't pay obscene amounts to their players but I would agree with your point

Readings wage bill is 2x turnover. Should we feel sorry for them ?

Not in the slightest. Talk today on the BBC that clubs are now looking for bail outs from the government or it could lead to the “collapse of the National league structure they have known for 100 years”.

How many clubs have taken conservative steps to largely reduce their outgoings in recent months, over an above asking for pay cuts and deferrals? Even with this, clubs will still be taking on new signings, paying them sums aligned with the market rate from last year with their heads in the sand. How can a club such as say Nottingham Forrest pay a £3m transfer fee for McKenna, then get the begging bowl out for government aid?

Read an article re Championship wages for season 2018/19. Wages as a % of turnover were
Sheffield Utd 195% Reading 194% Villa 175% Wigan 168% Norwich 162% Forest & Preston 143%
Birmingham 140% Blackburn 134% Brentford 124% Bristol City 101%
Only 4 of 24 have wage bills <70%
I have no problem with this but owners should be made to deposit 50% of their wage bill with the league so that they can't just walk away and leave the club in tatters.

Off topic, but the percentage difference between each placing in the EPL is minimal, in the SPL its massive between first and second.

Off topic, but the percentage difference between each placing in the EPL is minimal, in the SPL its massive between first and second.
A small percentage of a lot is often far more than a large percentage of a little which is what comes into play here :))

And they are still moaning they need fans into grounds to survive. Just a shower of self centered greedy ba***rds.

Parachute payments are paid over 3 seasons now was 4

Sunderland received theirs in 2017/18 (Championship), 2018/19 & 2019/20 (League 1)
It was a wee bit longer back than that so checked and it was Wolves, they had successive relegations around 2012/13

I dont watch the EPL cannot stand it absolutely no interest in it

I’ll have no sympathy whatsoever when their cash bubble bursts

Ah right even I said it was over 4 seasons after Premiership relegation that the parachute payments were made
I remember Sky having a list up of all the teams still receiving parachute payments at that point and the sums were huge. The teams were well looked after to say the least

You and I would always sign for Rangers because we're Rangers supporters.

But look at it from a neutral's point of view.

Imagine you have an EPL side like Burnley in for you, and a non-EPL side like PSV for example. Let's imagine you're neither English nor Dutch either, so you don't have any feelings for or against these sides.

PSV are a club with a much richer history and bigger fanbase. They're offering £30k a week.

Burnley are offering you £70k a week.

It's a no brainer.

I suppose it depends on the individual.

If the player is happy earning a shitload of money and never being part of a winning team then it is definitely a no-brainer, Burnley is the obvious choice.

However, if they are someone who wants to earn a very good living ( let's not kid ourselves, whilst not premiership wages, our players and those of the likes of PSV are still very well paid compared to the man in the street) but who wants to have the chance of winning trophies that you can one day look back at the history books and be proud of telling your grandchildren about, then it's Rangers or PSV or similar that's the obvious choice.

I remember Sky having a list up of all the teams still receiving parachute payments at that point and the sums were huge. The teams were well looked after to say the least

Parachutes payment I think were around £130m over the 4 seasons i think to which as you posted Wolves would have getting after relegation in 2012

I’ll play devil’s advocate and refer folk to the thread about Lianne Dempster and Ewan something, (Hearts supporting jurno), wanting us and Celtic to bail out other teams due to loss of income.

Yes, the sums of money the EPL teams get are bigger but it’s the same principal.

Now I’ll put my tin hat on and bunker down for the pelters that are about to come my way!:cool:

My business partner is a Newcastle fan. Goes home and away regularly. He very openly admits that staying in the league is preferable to winning a cup and that fans of at least 10 clubs feel that way. He doesn't even mind fielding weakened sides in cup matches. I just think that's a sad way to be be a football fan.
I hear that quite a lot from fans of english clubs, imagine starting the season with no ambition other than to finish 4th bottom...sad.

I hear that quite a lot from fans of english clubs, imagine starting the season with no ambition other than to finish 4th bottom...sad.
Easy to say when you follow a big club but the reality is different lower down the leagues. I doubt I will ever see Accy in the FA Cup final or the League Cup final or even the Premiership and to be honest I was surprised the day I watched them lift the League 2 trophy on the resources available given the amount of Big Teams in the Lower Leagues because they chased the dream.

Would I like to see them aim for 5th from bottom every season, of course not however if that's the worst they do in League 1 then that is a success. Perhaps the new rules re wage caps will allow them to compete in future though.

It's great how it's always Burnley that's derided on here. They were one of the top teams in the late 50's and early 60's then maximum wage was scrapped, TV money started to increase and the big city clubs took over. I'm pretty sure that before Burnley got relegated in the early 70's they were the 3rd longest serving clubs in the then division 1. It was the early 80s before they first dropped out of the top 2 divisions I think and it went down hill from there.

Back