How Rangers managers fared in their first games in charge

I remember going up to Aberdeen for big Jock's return.

Must have been one of the last football specials - complete with weeds growing out the window frames!

No ticket but cops let us in one by one at half time as others left.

Great camaraderie on the train and in the ground despite the result.

Last edited:
I remember being at Fir Park for PLGs first game. Was a huge buzz around the team and the manager, even met Michael Mols in the stand with his son. How it all went dreadfully wrong from there eh :oops:

A stat I find really interesting is that out of the 18 permanent managers and the 19 names on the list, 12 of them have been appointed in my lifetime, and I was born in 1982.
There are only 4 who have managed before I was born. I think I have seen more temporary managers since then.
McCall.
Jimmy Nic
Murty.
McDowall.
Alex Totten?

Edit. Durrant as well.

Last edited:

Must have been one of the last football specials - complete with weeds growing out the window frames!

I was there too.
Big Jock came out and started to conduct the Rangers end. Bears went mental !.

We had only had 11 permanent managers in our history by the year 2000. Absolutely crazy stat that used to amaze me as a child reading the Rangers history book I had.
When Greig replaced Wallace in 1978 (the first managerial regeneration I remember) he became only the 7th manager in our history!

Sandy Robertson winner in Walters first game in 1991. Then we beat Dundee Utd midweek, got gubbed 3-0 at Motherwell to set up that famous win over Aberdeen to retain the title. Some injury list we had going into that game.

Reactions: TQ3
There are only 4 who have managed before I was born. I think I have seen more temporary managers since then.
McCall.
Jimmy Nic
Murty.
McDowall.
Alex Totten?

Edit. Durrant as well.

I'm sure Don MacKay was caretaker as well just before Souness arrived for a couple of weeks after Totten. Might be wrong though.

Sandy Robertson winner in Walters first game in 1991. Then we beat Dundee Utd midweek, got gubbed 3-0 at Motherwell to set up that famous win over Aberdeen to retain the title. Some injury list we had going into that game.
What a couple of weeks that was.
To wait seven days after the Motherwell game to play the sheep was torture.

That was the first game I was allowed to go to on my own. I remember Jock coming out of the tunnel and a huge roar went up, he cupped a hand to one ear, and it got even louder.

In addition to that day, I was at another five on the list. Souness, Smith, Advocaat, Smith, McCoist.

I remember a bear wandering out to the centre spot before kick off and placing his scarf around it before being whisked away by the plods. I think we were two down after only nine minutes.

McCall.
Jimmy Nic
Murty.
McDowall.
Alex Totten?

Edit. Durrant as well.

Only two before I was born which is mental

Super's win rate is comparing apples and oranges since we were skudding about the lower leagues.

I was at Easter Rd when GS had his 1st game
Sun was splitting the trees, me in my yellow Lyle and Scott jumper.
Those were the days.
Loved going there when we were standing.

Few posters gone a bit further back in time, I understand why, but one of the most fun away days I’ve had was the 6-2 game away to Hibs under Warburton.
Game went end to end and in the end we scudded them 6-2 with Hibs having an offside goal when it was 4-2 (iirc).
Tav free kick stunner, Waghorn bulldozing his way through and scoring a cracking goal early 2nd half, fast football, genuinely good football to watch.
We had an identity we hadn’t had in years even down the leagues.
We all know how it ended but it was a great first game for Warburton.
Everyone remembers folk kicking about afterwards wearing empty Warburton packets on their head :))

Back