How ready are we for Malmö or HJK ?

The Goal Machine

As this tie gets nearer and nearer we have a few problems with the squad that worries me.

Kamara and Roofe banned.

Morelos not back in the country and others, transfer speculation that won’t go away not just with him but also with a few of our squad. A couple of players still to agree extensions. Ryan Kent, a very important player especially in Europe, has hardly been seen so far.

This tie will not be as easy as people think especially with these teams twelve or more games into their season.

Compare last pre season with this one and it seems night and day. This tie is mega important for us.

I just think things could have been a lot smoother for us and could have an adverse effect on the tie.

we need to get minutes into Helander, Barasic, Kent and Morelos. That is my only worry. We haven't impressed much during this pre-season but this is likely due to us missing nearly half of our regular starters. We need to see Sakala in action so we can see what he will offer us, I feel like we are running a bit behind where I would like us to be at this stage but we will get there, got to trust the gaffer

We won’t be ready at all sadly . If we were fully up to speed and playing like last season I’d have full confidence of winning the tie . Now, without Roofe , Kamara , Jack and possibly Kent , lack of match fitness etc it presents a much bigger challenge than it should . Still think we can do it though .

Would have liked another attacking midfielder brought in tbh but we have the squad capable of getting through this tie if we need to go with what we have

It’s Malmö or Helsinki, not some European powerhousewhilst I won’t be disrespectful or write them off, we should have enough to progress over two legs.

Having had the European Championships/Copa (Morelos) along with a few suspensions and injuries, it’s not the best of preparations, but that’s football.

We’ve simply got to be ready for Livingston then Malmö/Helsinki. You’d expect the management team be exactly that.

As for the season as a whole, I’ve not got a clue what to expect? Defending the league title certainly won’t be a walk in the park, no matter how poor some think Postecoglou and Celtic are/will be.

As this tie gets nearer and nearer we have a few problems with the squad that worries me.

Kamara and Roofe banned.

Morelos not back in the country and others, transfer speculation that won’t go away not just with him but also with a few of our squad. A couple of players still to agree extensions. Ryan Kent, a very important player especially in Europe, has hardly been seen so far.

This tie will not be as easy as people think especially with these teams twelve or more games into their season.

Compare last pre season with this one and it seems night and day. This tie is mega important for us.

I just think things could have been a lot smoother for us and could have an adverse effect on the tie.
Who actually thinks it will be easy??

We won’t be ready at all sadly . If we were fully up to speed and playing like last season I’d have full confidence of winning the tie . Now, without Roofe , Kamara , Jack and possibly Kent , lack of match fitness etc it presents a much bigger challenge than it should . Still think we can do it though .

I don't think we should count on Jack being available this season tbh. If he is it's a bonus but he's constantly injured sadly.

I really don't understand why the Scottish league season doesn't start on 1st July to give our teams the best possible chance in Europe. Yes, there will be a few players who will be away on international duty but that's only ever going to impact on Celtic and ourselves and we should be able to cope.

The whole idea of the league cup starting early was to help the teams in Europe, and they then gave those teams a bye which makes no sense.

So for me, start the league on 1st July to get teams up to speed. Move the league cup games to the midweeks of the Champions League (or even the weekends after to give European teams a break). Take a longer winter break if need be - or reduce the number of midweek fixtures.

All depends on who plays the last friendlies....I assume if Morelos, Sakala, Barisic etc don't play thye won't be in match day squads. Probably something like:

McGregor, Tav, Goldson, Helander, Bassey, Davis, Arfield, Lundstrum, Hagi, Kent and Itten.

The qualifiers always come at a bad time for us with little or no competitive games behind us.

Just harder this year because it’s CL standard rather than EL. But this is what we want.

I'm sure if we're concerned then Gerard will be concerned. I don't think anyone can complain about our record in Europe under him. The Blackpool have being cancelled and two friendlies this weekend aren't ideal protein though.

This stuff baffles me.... How won't we be ready at all? We haven't played a competitive game yet to judge the team.

How can some of our fans think that Gerrard, Beale etc wouldn't have our team ready?

3 seasons of winning European football at early rounds and now because we drew with Arsenal and lost to Tranmere in a friendly we are not ready at all?

Wild!

This stuff baffles me.... How won't we be ready at all? We haven't played a competitive game yet to judge the team.

How can some of our fans think that Gerrard, Beale etc wouldn't have our team ready?

3 seasons of winning European football at early rounds and now because we drew with Arsenal and lost to Tranmere in a friendly we are not ready at all?

Wild!
In a nutshell you’ve answered your own question

Well be ready anyone that this Gerrard won't have the squad ready for this is mental Gerrard is a champions league legend and will be desperate to be back there again with us. The squad have been training hard all week we have games against Brighton Madrid and Livingston to play before then which will get us up to speed. Helander will be back Sakala will be ready by then I'm not taking either team lightly but we will have enough to beat both.

Not worried about this round. I think we will be too strong regardless.

This has been the worst preparation we have had for a season though under Gerrard so far. I think it will take us a few weeks to get up to full pelt and I hope the looneys on here keep the heid if we struggle through the first few games.

we need to get minutes into Helander, Barasic, Kent and Morelos. That is my only worry. We haven't impressed much during this pre-season but this is likely due to us missing nearly half of our regular starters. We need to see Sakala in action so we can see what he will offer us, I feel like we are running a bit behind where I would like us to be at this stage but we will get there, got to trust the gaffer
Barisic is still in Croatia according to his insta. Thought he would be back by now

Would have liked another attacking midfielder brought in tbh but we have the squad capable of getting through this tie if we need to go with what we have
Would be disappointed if the manager doesn’t give an interview before Saturday an interview with David Edger would be great with David asking all the right questions ie what’s the situation regarding incomings and outgoings of players also where are we regarding the fitness of Ryan Jack is Ryan Kent injured also when does he expect to get all of his first team squad available?

It’s Malmö or Helsinki, not some European powerhousewhilst I won’t be disrespectful or write them off, we should have enough to progress over two legs.

Having had the European Championships/Copa (Morelos) along with a few suspensions and injuries, it’s not the best of preparations, but that’s football.

We’ve simply got to be ready for Livingston then Malmö/Helsinki. You’d expect the management team be exactly that.

As for the season as a whole, I’ve not got a clue what to expect? Defending the league title certainly won’t be a walk in the park, no matter how poor some think Postecoglou and Celtic are/will be.
Were you watching in the late 90s and 00's? We've been put out by much lesser opponents

Malmo 2 v 1 HJK Helsinki. Of all seasons to scrap the away goals rule! I have a preference for playing the Finns as we will not be up to 100% match fit.

It will be a tricky tie.

But we’ll be, rightly, favourites to progress.

Yes Kamara and Roofe are missing. Yes, that’s not ideal.

But it’s hardly the crippling, dehabilitating blow that people keep going on about. The way the panic merchants go on, you could be forgiven for thinking this was the first time in history a team had two players suspended.

So just get a grip and trust that we’ll have enough to get passed a Scandinavian team

I expect Helander to be fine. He only had a short break and seems a top pro, he will Hve kept himself ticking over

Barisic may he different as he was injured

Morelos who knows, he's got form for coming back from a break seriously out of shape. Hopefully he has his mature head on and has looked after himself.

I think we will be fine though.

Both of these teams are less than average and we will pass with ease

I hope you are right but this kind of thinking makes me nervous.

They are competitively up to speed and match sharp, we are not. They see us as a big scalp. We are missing players. Lot's of reasons to be cautious.

Kamara and Roofe banned.

The second leg must be 6 games from now?
So keeping it as tight as we can away and bringing the tie back to Ibrox in 6 games seems plenty to get "ready".

3 scheduled game to go, I reckon we'll add a closed door game if needed.

Bar Roofe and Kamara I reckon the amount of minutes the first team will get will have us to a good enough level, also I think with us being not at full speed, we'll approach this round with a lot of focus in discipline in getting the basics sorted.

Kent, Sakala, Hagi, Aribo, Morelos, Wright, Itten should be enough to cover the front line but I'm hoping Lundstram can fill in Kamara role well enough. Never know Veerman could be announced soon (Here's hoping)

All depends on who plays the last friendlies....I assume if Morelos, Sakala, Barisic etc don't play thye won't be in match day squads. Probably something like:

McGregor, Tav, Goldson, Helander, Bassey, Davis, Arfield, Lundstrum, Hagi, Kent and Itten.
Happy with that

I really don't understand why the Scottish league season doesn't start on 1st July to give our teams the best possible chance in Europe. Yes, there will be a few players who will be away on international duty but that's only ever going to impact on Celtic and ourselves and we should be able to cope.

The whole idea of the league cup starting early was to help the teams in Europe, and they then gave those teams a bye which makes no sense.

So for me, start the league on 1st July to get teams up to speed. Move the league cup games to the midweeks of the Champions League (or even the weekends after to give European teams a break). Take a longer winter break if need be - or reduce the number of midweek fixtures.
If the season had started on 1/7, we’d have done a full pre-season without any of our players involved in Euro 2020 or Alfie.

We “should be able to cope” wouldn’t cut much ice if a tight title race prevailed and we lost the league by virtue of a couple of poor results at the start when playing with half a dozen players missing

Back