How ready are we for Malmö or HJK ?

has there been any sign of Ryan Jack. When he went for surgery we were told he would be ready for pre-season. I dont think i've even seen a pic of him in training.

I know it would have been difficult, but I'd like to see what will more or less be a settled team before we play European ties. We need to get the machine from last season fired up again and ready to go.

Malmos longest period without a game was just over 2 weeks at the end of May, they played 4 or 5 friendlies in June and started again beginning of July for Allsvenskan and CL qualifiers, they will be upto speed.

I'm not disputing they'll be up to speed but we have posters worried because they are 12 games into their season. In reality, they are 3 games into the current re-started season. It seems friendlies count for making our opponents fit but not us.

Last season we had a few months in the training ground (IMO which was a major factor in how we won the league) before the season started properly - this year does feel very different and concerning to be honest, we have players on holiday, injuries and suspensions and our season kicks off a week on Saturday.

We need to be ready and that is on our manager etc no excuses.

I'm not disputing they'll be up to speed but we have posters worried because they are 12 games into their season. In reality, they are 3 games into the current re-started season. It seems friendlies count for making our opponents fit but not us.
100%, we will be more than ready but it'll not be the walkover some are predicting either.

McGregor

Tav Goldson Helander Barisic

Lundstram Davis Kamara

Aribo Morelos Kent

Wright, Itten, Arfield, Hagi, Defoe, Bassey, Simpson, Sakala all in reserve.

Edit, Kamara suspended so Arfield in midfield.

Id say we are in a great place.

Last edited:
As this tie gets nearer and nearer we have a few problems with the squad that worries me.

Kamara and Roofe banned.

Morelos not back in the country and others, transfer speculation that won’t go away not just with him but also with a few of our squad. A couple of players still to agree extensions. Ryan Kent, a very important player especially in Europe, has hardly been seen so far.

This tie will not be as easy as people think especially with these teams twelve or more games into their season.

Compare last pre season with this one and it seems night and day. This tie is mega important for us.

I just think things could have been a lot smoother for us and could have an adverse effect on the tie.
What a bizarre point of view, assuming this is actually what you think.

Rangers under Gerrard have been superbly prepared in Europe from the very first game all the way through 3 record breaking campaigns.

Rangers have outplayed teams who were in a far stronger place than they were at that given time and even in matches where they lost, they were never disgraced or embarrassed. Why? Simply because they were/are so well drilled they can handle pressure games, stay in them when the opposition are in ascendancy and come back when if they go behind.

This game isnt as easy as people think? Which people? Nobody is under any illusions that all games present risk and in particular European fixtures can draw a sense of entitlement from some when facing opponents they know little about. However none of that can be applied to Rangers based on what we do know about them from the last 3 years and if anything you would imagine Gerrard will have them even more focused with this being the first CL campaign.

Neither Malmo or Helsinki are mugs and if Rangers are sloppy they may be capable of capitalising but thats not going to happen. On that basic assumption do either of these teams possess the level of defensive strength or attacking power that would cause Rangers to be rightly taken as anything other than overwhelming favourites?

Well then, what are you worried about?

McGregor

Tav Goldson Helander Barisic

Lundstram Davis Kamara

Aribo Morelos Kent

Wright, Itten, Arfield, Hagi, Defoe, Bassey, Simpson, Sakala all in reserve.

Edit, Kamara suspended so Arfield in midfield.

Id say we are in a great place.
Morelos will not be fit and is not back here yet, Kent and Aribo missed the last friendly due to injury and Barisic is not back here yet.

Not worried about this round. I think we will be too strong regardless.

This has been the worst preparation we have had for a season though under Gerrard so far. I think it will take us a few weeks to get up to full pelt and I hope the looneys on here keep the heid if we struggle through the first few games.
Consequence of success... Think too many have forgotten what it's like to be champions and the challenges of it plus a team of internationals.

Calm down.

All will be fine. Don’t shit the bed just yet.
You do know this is a Rangers forum with Rangers supporters, not Twitter or a beast forum where the terms you use are acceptable.
The team you posted would only be realistic if we had the players back and no injuries which is not the case.

With it being a Euros season, Copa America etc lots of teams will be behind or not at full strength. I'm sure we will get there and be ready for it.

The 90's was stuff of nightmares at times, this is the first time in my life I've felt confident not only in qualifiers but group stages. We're the most consistent I've seen us in Europe.

I'm 30 and it's the first I've ever felt confident of winning matches in Europe at home or away. Used to be hiding behind the couch watching us defend for our lives against really poor sides.

Very concerned. Level of fitness is a huge advantage at this stage of the season Malmö/Helsinki will be miles ahead. Hopefully our quality will carry the day despite missing some key players.

You do know this is a Rangers forum with Rangers supporters, not Twitter or a beast forum where the terms you use are acceptable.
The team you posted would only be realistic if we had the players back and no injuries which is not the case.
Really, I never knew this was a Rangers forum.

Another day of enlightenment.

I think we will know a lot more after the weekend. Does feel like a less than perfect pre-season thus far but most teams have had the same problems - the issue is the two teams we could face are already up and running and we seem to perhaps have a few very key players who haven't figured yet.

Anybody thinking CL qualifying will be a cakewalk needs to come back to some sort of reality. They will all be tough games and we better be ready for them.

Helander says;

It has been great to see all the boys and it looks like they have been training hard! I have just come back so I haven't been training that much, but it looks like the boys have been training hard and getting up to speed.

has there been any sign of Ryan Jack. When he went for surgery we were told he would be ready for pre-season. I dont think i've even seen a pic of him in training.
He, Katic and one and Obaforh (not now obviously) were in seperate group who were 'fit but not match fit' and not ready for games yet.

We need to be careful how we speak to one another. People come on here to be among fellow bears and discuss line ups, players, and sometimes foreign leagues, or comedy in The Lounge.

Poster "I have a few worries about pre season and players being ready..."
Second poster "F*** off mentally challenged. Sniff sniff...away to Kerrydale Street ya baby"

Just not acceptable imho.

I hope you are right but this kind of thinking makes me nervous.

They are competitively up to speed and match sharp, we are not. They see us as a big scalp. We are missing players. Lot's of reasons to be cautious.
The up to speed bit is my only concern !

We need to be careful how we speak to one another. People come on here to be among fellow bears and discuss line ups, players, and sometimes foreign leagues, or comedy in The Lounge.

Poster "I have a few worries about pre season and players being ready..."
Second poster "F*** off mentally challenged. Sniff sniff...away to Kerrydale Street ya baby"

Just not acceptable imho.
Goes both ways. Myopic to suggest otherwise.

Helander says;

It has been great to see all the boys and it looks like they have been training hard! I have just come back so I haven't been training that much, but it looks like the boys have been training hard and getting up to speed.
Good to hear.

The main area of concern for me is up front. Roofe and Defoe both injured, Alfie still in Columbia and will need time to get back up to speed when he does arrive.

Hopefully big Cedric can continue his good pre season form and kick on.

Need to get the next couple friendly matches by before being able to tell what stage the players are at. Full confidence in the management team to have the Champions ready to go. Big squad there work with.

What a bizarre point of view, assuming this is actually what you think.

Rangers under Gerrard have been superbly prepared in Europe from the very first game all the way through 3 record breaking campaigns.

Rangers have outplayed teams who were in a far stronger place than they were at that given time and even in matches where they lost, they were never disgraced or embarrassed. Why? Simply because they were/are so well drilled they can handle pressure games, stay in them when the opposition are in ascendancy and come back when if they go behind.

This game isnt as easy as people think? Which people? Nobody is under any illusions that all games present risk and in particular European fixtures can draw a sense of entitlement from some when facing opponents they know little about. However none of that can be applied to Rangers based on what we do know about them from the last 3 years and if anything you would imagine Gerrard will have them even more focused with this being the first CL campaign.

Neither Malmo or Helsinki are mugs and if Rangers are sloppy they may be capable of capitalising but thats not going to happen. On that basic assumption do either of these teams possess the level of defensive strength or attacking power that would cause Rangers to be rightly taken as anything other than overwhelming favourites?

Well then, what are you worried about?
Bizarre point of view, don’t think so. I am just pointing out factors that make this tie more difficult than it could be if these factors disappeared. And after the Euros where some of our players were involved.

I am sure Gerrard and co will have been aware of this, and we should still go through, if the players perform who play.

But it would be easier still if these factors were not there.

Bizarre point of view, don’t think so. I am just pointing out factors that make this tie more difficult than it could be if these factors disappeared. And after the Euros where some of our players were involved.

I am sure Gerrard and co will have been aware of this, and we should still go through, if the players perform who play.

But it would be easier still if these factors were not there.
Well maybe, if life was easy itd be easy.

I have full confidence in our Manager and his players, theyve more than earned that over the last 3 years. Far from being worried Im looking forward to seeing them in this tie and beyond.

We are not ready and they are match fit. It will be a struggle for us as it was last time we met Malmö when bougherra got sent off. ( if we meet Malmö)
I hope we get through but it is not as easy as some are suggesting

There is being staunch and being pretendy arsehole staunch where any criticism is attacked with venom...I am just saying lots of people just wanting a chat, and a debate, and not called a sour grape.
I’ve observed recently that people throwing around the word staunch like others use punctuation often struggle to formulate an argument of any real substance.

We are not ready and they are match fit. It will be a struggle for us as it was last time we met Malmö when bougherra got sent off. ( if we meet Malmö)
I hope we get through but it is not as easy as some are suggesting

As this tie gets nearer and nearer we have a few problems with the squad that worries me.

Kamara and Roofe banned.

Morelos not back in the country and others, transfer speculation that won’t go away not just with him but also with a few of our squad. A couple of players still to agree extensions. Ryan Kent, a very important player especially in Europe, has hardly been seen so far.

This tie will not be as easy as people think especially with these teams twelve or more games into their season.

Compare last pre season with this one and it seems night and day. This tie is mega important for us.

I just think things could have been a lot smoother for us and could have an adverse effect on the tie.
I've not been impressed at all with what I've seen so far. They look well of the mark. No creativity in the middle and unable to create chances. Certain players missing is a head scratcher. I get some players may have had extended leave or niggling injuries but this is the bread and butter. This season is massive. We won the league, can we continue winning. My biggest fear is that last season was so massive for a team where the vast majority win their first medal they can't come back down and do it all again. I hope I'm completely wrong on all of this

Happy with that
All depends on who plays the last friendlies....I assume if Morelos, Sakala, Barisic etc don't play thye won't be in match day squads. Probably something like:

McGregor, Tav, Goldson, Helander, Bassey, Davis, Arfield, Lundstrum, Hagi, Kent and Itten.
I think you will see Aribo in at left back as he has played there well in Europe in the past.
His creativity and strength are a key to us unlocking defences.
That will make it easier for us to accommodate both Davis and Lundstrum in midfield holding roles

The gaffer said he wants Morelos back for the start of the season but he’s told him he’s expected to come back in good shape. If he wants him here for livingston I don’t see why he wouldn’t be ready for the euro tie. He won’t be match sharp of course but he’s more than good enough to lead the line regardless.

Kamara and Roofe banned.

When we played Malmö under McCoist we lost the first game, at Ibrox, 0-1 and were poor.
In the second leg, we had improved considerably from that performance and I’m fairly certain we’d have beaten them had Whittaker not been sent off.
I’m putting this out because I don’t believe the position we, or they, are in, in terms of how far through the season each club is, will have a major effect.
It might but it didn’t last time!

When we played Malmö under McCoist we lost the first game, at Ibrox, 0-1 and were poor.
In the second leg, we had improved considerably from that performance and I’m fairly certain we’d have beaten them had Whittaker not been sent off.
I’m putting this out because I don’t believe the position we, or they, are in, in terms of how far through the season each club is, will have a major effect.
It might but it didn’t last time!
Under McCoist training methods hadn't changed in 30 years despite the calibre of player in relative terms decreasing and the rest of the world advancing 30 years. Also throw in the training 30 years ago leading to one decent European campaign in about 10 forgive me if I don't intend to judge our current squad and management against McCoist and his utter amateur hour tenure.

Back