How to fix VAR

audiorealis

Easy one - set a time limit on how long they have to change the call on the field. It's designed to correct clear and obvious errors. Give the ref 10 seconds looking at tape and if they aren't convinced, call stands and play resumes.

When you've seen a howler from the ref, it usually just takes one replay for you to realise it. And that's what VAR is supposed to be about - correcting howlers.

VAR is absolutely fine the way it is if it's use is limited to the following situations.
  • Penalty claims
  • Straight red card decisions
  • Offside decisions (to be reviewed after a goal)
  • Off the ball incidents not seen by the ref (probably covered by straight red card decisions).
VAR has improved the game and will continue to do so as long as its use is limited to the above. Last nights penalty decision was a farce. Thankfully the Premier League have came out today and confirmed that they will not be enforcing this rule with VAR next season.

VAR is absolutely fine the way it is if it's use is limited to the following situations.
  • Penalty claims
  • Straight red card decisions
  • Offside decisions (to be reviewed after a goal)
  • Off the ball incidents not seen by the ref (probably covered by straight red card decisions).
VAR has improved the game and will continue to do so as long as its use is limited to the above. Last nights penalty decision was a farce. Thankfully the Premier League have came out today and confirmed that they will not be enforcing this rule with VAR next season.
It took them six minutes in the Scotland ladies game last night to make a decision, if it takes that long, it hasn’t been a clear and obvious error by the ref, therefore it should not have been a penalty. It’s not being used properly.

Give each manager a max of 3 challenges like hawkeye in tennis.

That way they wont want every single goal looked at. And they will pick there challenges wisely

It's certainly an option. If you challenge a call incorrectly, you lose a sub?

Another VAR-delayed goal in the US women's game. Eventually given, though the replays show a player was offside. A poor decision.

The issue is with the idiotic changes to the laws that are causing penalty after penalty to be awarded and retaken.

I am not a fan of VAR as far too often it is taking too long to come to a decision. The mandate whether it is a clear and obvious error. It's being used to view time and time again decisions that even after viewing could still go one way or another.

It's got a long way to go before it works properly, if it ever gets to that stage.

If it takes more than a few minutes to come to a decision then it’s not a clear and obvious error.

A time limit isn’t the worst idea.

If it was brought in for “clear and obvious “ mistakes and is going beyond that remit then it should be binned.

And I’ll say that given the current situation it would be a disaster for Rangers. The comfort with the SFA bend and break rules to punish us should confirm this.

Scrapping it would be a stay. I would be gutted if we adopted it even taking into account the magnitude of the "errors" that go against us. Its americanised shite that wont eradicate controversy, it will only allow it to evolve.

What we need is more investment into refereeing and additional officials. Still cant believe in thos day and age we dont have 4 linesmen. Having a guy not allowed to cross the half way line be responsible for desicion making from the other side of the pitch is laughable.

VAR should be like the tennis, you have three appeals per half, and that’s that, as said time limit on decision.

I'd give the managers the ability to challenge which can be used for anything they like but, if wrong, they lose the use of a sub.

Challenge system is the only way it works for me, same as tennis and NFL. Each team should have 1 per half, manager/captain has to explain to the referee exactly what/why you're challenging, if you're wrong you lose it and have none left that half. If you're right you still have your 1 challenge remaining.

We cant have it for every goal, it'll ruin the game.

Last edited:
Easy one - set a time limit on how long they have to change the call on the field. It's designed to correct clear and obvious errors. Give the ref 10 seconds looking at tape and if they aren't convinced, call stands and play resumes.

When you've seen a howler from the ref, it usually just takes one replay for you to realise it. And that's what VAR is supposed to be about - correcting howlers.
Ive been saying this exact thing since VAR was introduced.

Referees should be left to referee games and call on VAR where they feel they may have got something wrong, or off the ball incidents that are seen by the 4th officials. Would be my opinion.

Worked pretty much ok at the men's World Cup and can't mind too many errors in the CL? Is it women or men using it at the women's World Cup?

It's been very slow during the Copa America as well tbh, it's like they haven't been trained enough for it.

So instead of being punished once if the ref is wrong you get punished twice. Deary fikn me.

Is the whole idea of VAR not that it gets the decision right? Obviously you wouldn't lose a sub if you were correct.

It needs to either be abolished which is my preference or limited in some way to stop games being micro analysed. To do that, there needs to be some consequence.

I think the first thing I would do is link it to the big screens and when an incident is referred a message comes up explaining what's happening ie VAR offside check. Most fans I seen at games are left scratching their heads at what's going on and it kills the atmosphere. Quite honestly though the only tech I would have in football is goal line cameras and really don't like VAR.

Back